• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub VR launches for PS VR on October 13 for $39.99.

Loudninja

Driveclub VR launches exclusively for PS VR on October 13 for $39.99. Buckle up for one of the most immersive racers yet.
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/778617719847432192

• Game modes: Online virtual reality multiplayer race modes and an action-packed single player career are joined by drifting and time trial challenges.
  • Tracks: New and classic Driveclub tracks are brought to life through the power of PlayStation VR, including five all-new Urban locations.
  • A closer look: More than 80 cars are recreated with immaculate detail for players to explore up close with Inspection Mode.
  • Cruise control: A little time to kick back, open the throttle or just coast and explore any
    track, in any country at your leisure in Cruise Mode.
  • Virtual passenger: An immersive thrill ride through exciting replays of hot laps as players watch themselves handle their greatest challenges from a unique viewpoint in Passenger Mode.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/16/driveclub-vr-confirmed-for-playstation-vr-out-this-year/

Any word on if they'll bring the cut-down 60FPS mode to the normal game?

Would be nice to see, especially since I doubt they have to cut as much with not rendering two viewports.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That is a crazy high price. The base game was going for $7.99 over the summer.

Sony needs to understand that people are already forking over $499 for their VR. Charging $40 for a game thats been out for 2 years is nuts.

Tankshell

And everyone will be up in arms when they buy it, load it up, and it looks nowhere near as sharp or as detailed as that screenshot in the Tweet. :) I know from first hand experience playing PCars on the Rift CV1. Technically all the detail IS there, but the low resolution of the screen and the SDE mean you can hardly make most of it out. Bring on 2nd gen VR headsets!

Sony needs to understand that people are already forking over $499 for their VR. Charging $40 for a game thats been out for 2 years is nuts.

DriveClub VR is a new game. It hasn't been out at all.

Loudninja

The game was built for VR that stuff isn't free.

cakely

Driveclub VR hasn't been out for 2 years.

It's the game that got me back on the VR hype train so I'm ok with $40.

foxbeldin

Tried it 3 hours ago.
It's awesome and sold me on vr. I'm keeping my PSVR preorder.

Graphics take a huge hit but the immersion is a game changer. Hopefully the pspro can do a bit of work.

Castef

Banned
Actually I'm surprised this is a stand alone 40$ game.

I thought it was some kind of patch/add on to be applied to DriveClub.

Tried it 3 hours ago.
It's awesome and sold me on vr. I'm keeping my PSVR preorder.

Graphics take a huge hit but the immersion is a game changer. Hopefully the pspro can do a bit of work.

How is the image quality? Some PSVR games seem to be blurry. Playstation Acces vid on YT it looked quite sharp.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

What? It's not a mod or add on for Driveclub. It's a different game. It hasn't been out all all?

Unless this is a joke post?

JP

That's a decent price.

They did confirm some time ago that there would be a discount for the current season pass holders.

foxbeldin

How is the image quality? Some PSVR games seem to be blurry. Playstation Acces vid on YT it looked quite sharp.

It's rough. But once you start driving and looking aeound you, you kinda stop caring. I thought farpoint was a bit cleaner but vr is a demanding technology and it shows.

Pif

Banned
Is this gonna be enhanced on Pro?

Regular DC is not, but I understand this is a standalone product.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's rough. But once you start driving and looking aeound you, you kinda stop caring. I thought farpoint was a bit cleaner but vr is a demanding technology and it shows.

How "rough?" Like PS3 jaggy territory?

Krakn3Dfx

What? It's not a mod or add on for Driveclub. It's a different game. It hasn't been out all all?

Unless this is a joke post?

So all new tracks/cars/modes?

I'm legit curious since I haven't followed this stuff much, nothing substantial from Driveclub is carrying over into this game?

muteki

Got plenty of other launch titles I'm interested but will take a closer look at the car and track list later.

I have TrackMania in the mean time for my VR (vomit inducing?) fix.

tensuke

Pretty good price.

Makes sense I think that VR games cost a bit less, at least initially. To promote adoption.

Still high for a VR game, seeing as it's a Sony 1st party "AAA" game hopefully it has plenty of content, but most VR games on PC do not cost that much (albeit a good bit of them are just tech demos/experiences). I'm hoping that $40 will be the upper limit to VR games on PS4, unless somebody can provide a Skyrim or GTA level of experience in VR.

With the current crop of amazing FFB racing wheels out this genre stands to benefit the most i feel, due to having such and engaging control method.

Fighting with a 1:1 real word representation of what you're doing in game is going to fuck with your head good :)

How "rough?" Like PS3 jaggy territory?

Eh, worse. Even on my Rift, lines can look really crappy. The difference though, is that what you're seeing has depth and therefore realism that no tv/monitor can duplicate, so it's very much a give and take.

It also really depends on how the game is designed. There are some games where you can barely notice jaggies for whatever reason, I don't know if it's the contrast, artstyle or some other trick (yes I know about AA but that doesn't always seem to be the main factor), but it's definitely possible to mitigate the ugliness of it. Project Cars looks terrible on the Oculus to me.

Loudninja

Still high for a VR game, seeing as it's a Sony 1st party "AAA" game hopefully it has plenty of content, but most VR games on PC do not cost that much (albeit a good bit of them are just tech demos/experiences). I'm hoping that $40 will be the upper limit to VR games on PS4, unless somebody can provide a Skyrim or GTA level of experience in VR.
Just because its a VR game does not mean its going to be $15 to $20

RIGS is a big game and its $49.99

Pretty good price.

Makes sense I think that VR games cost a bit less, at least initially. To promote adoption.

Agreed I think it's a great price. This is a big full game.
Even with the large launch lineup, I'm probably in given the good feedback in the VR thread and how fitting a racer seems to be for VR.

I think it's more important for there to be actual, full-fledged games like this instead of experiences and whatnot.

This. Already seen too many people talk about lack of full games despite the large full game launch list in the PSVR thread, so the more full games the better.

jaypah

I think the price is just fine for what you're getting. Also regarding the graphics, VR takes a lot of power so have your expectations in order. There's no magical fix for that. But it will still blow your mind.

xrnzaaas

All VR games are overpriced. Extended tech demos or compilations of simple minigames can cost 20 or even 30 dollars. 40 for old DC with some new modes, a couple of new tracks and new events isn't a terrible deal.

Top Bottom