• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game memes that are based on inaccuracies or misconceptions

BY2K

Membero Americo
tumblr_n21eraGt8h1rn9ge0o2_500.png

That's pretty funny looking back as Dark Souls III confirms
Solaire is NOT Gywn's son. The Nameless King is.

Garlador

PS3 has no games. Aside from Gears and Halo, there really wasn't much that was enviable on the 360.

At the time, 360 was the only system that had Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Ninja Gaiden 2, Dead or Alive, Bioshock, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, etc.

A lot of that early momentum went away. But even my original copies of Bioshock and Lost Planet say "only on Xbox 360 and Windows".

Also the Kamiya tweet saying Inafune was a businessman and not a developer, I don't think that was meant to be a hot take or anything.

Now when he said Mighty No. 9 was an insult to the old games they made at Capcom it was.

Battlechili

Banned
People often joke about how the characters in Star Fox have amputated legs even though the theory has been repeatedly officially debunked.

blamite

No, it's much more than that. When you use a ball, you hold down A and B, release when the ball opens up and the Pokemon goes in, THEN press down+B (and A).

Always worked for me...

lol no, the real trick is to hold B as soon as the ball hits, then start holding down on the second bounce.

Yeah, that quote really annoys me. We also get games that have poor launches but eventually turn out to be great, like Driveclub or Slain for example.

Not sure how someone can be annoyed by a quote which encourages patience, where it's needed.

Sure some delayed games suck. Name me one rushed game that's awesome or half as good as it should have been.

Phediuk

"PS3/PS4 have no games"

Yes, the tendency to act like games don't count because they're on more than one platform is pretty annoying. Especially when it's used to obscure the fact that 99% of the PS4's games aren't available on the Wii U.

Not sure how someone can be annoyed by a quote which encourages patience, where it's needed.

Sure some delayed games suck. Name me one rushed game that's awesome or half as good as it should have been.

New Vegas was rushed out the door and it kicks the shit out of every Bethesda game while being one of the best WRPG of all time.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Another Zelda example:

latest

Error from Zelda 2 is often cited as an example of "lol look how dumb those game designers were with their glitches and shit!" I mean, they didn't even finish his dialogue!

Except they did; Error is his name, and another guy named Bagu (Bug) refers back to him and you have to return and get an item from him.

It's kind of funny in a "Localization: The Early Years" sort of way, but yeah, it's not a mistake or unfinished work or glitch. Always silly to hear that trotted out

The "Tidus laughing scene" (as some choose to call it) is actually the most important and intellectually stimulating pieces of fiction of the 21st century - perhaps even of all time. The scene surfaces the dichotomy of man, wheren Tidus must surface his emotions in a way that internally he does not truly feel. In this way, he does not only show the conflict he feels in regards to the events surrounding him, but also his desire to make his companion, Yuna (the other half of the greatest love story of all time, by the way) feel comforted in a world with little true comfort to distract her from her own deep and nuanced internal conflicts.

Indeed, the scene goes beyond the characters of Tidus and Yuna themselves, and is actually speaking to human nature itself, in a way that no writer ever has previous to the release of this landmark title. Any individual who finds the scene worthy of reticule should look themselves in the mirror and dare to ask themselves the question of what they're contributing to the conversation about human nature in pointing their finger in amusement at this beautifully layered scene.

Please educate yourselves the next time you feel the plebian temptation to laugh at this scene, which perfectly balances humour and sorrow in a way that will be studied by scholars for centuries to come.

You see this a lot in Metroid: Other M threads/criticism and while the game certainly isn't subtle with its baby symbolism, this particular meme makes it seem like Samus repeats it throughout the entire game when it's really just the opening sequence.

Phediuk

Also, two recurring Super Mario World memes:

"Mario punches Yoshi!"

No he doesn't. He points ahead.

"Yoshi doesn't have arms!"

Yes, he does, and they're clearly visible in his walking animation.

Yeah, that quote really annoys me. We also get games that have poor launches but eventually turn out to be great, like Driveclub or Slain for example.

To be fair, he made that quote back in the N64 days when patches weren't even a thought for console gaming. You either released a working game from the start or your game and your costumers were fucked.

Okay so people have already covered the too much water thing - seriously, I was really confused when I found out what it was referring to; it was one of things I had heard people complain about consistently since the original games, and the actual review text explains that the complaint is because using HMs is still so awkward.

The other one would be this classic:

j8aTRpX.jpg

It's actually a joke created by an admin on Doomworld. Actual Doom of that era doesn't support the scorch marks on the wall caused by weapon fire, that's a feature added in source ports years down the line.

Navi does not actually say "Hey! Listen!" sequentially. "Hey" happens when she prompts you, and "Listen" when you press Up C and acknowledge her.

That's the definition of "sequentially". You know, "one after the other"? Also making the quote accurate.

You didn't know that pressing B skips any text you've already read?

Not really, I luckily never accidentally repeated a long explanation. Guessing it comes in handy when talking to villagers though, and if it works in Wind Waker it will make the villager that runs after you to pester you about rescuing his daughter much less annoying (replaying WW right now and we avoid him like a Redead :p).

KHlover

Banned
The exclusives/games joke that people make for the PS vita, which simply isn't true. There are games on the Vita. You might not care for all of them, but they do exist.

Yeah, it has enough animu VN shovelware to fill the #700 to 1000 sales rank in Japan.

L Thammy

Not based in inaccuracies in the same sense as the OP, but in the infamous Zero Wing opening, CATS is probably the name of an organization. It isn't necessarily just that guy.

Phediuk

Not based in inaccuracies in the same sense as the OP, but in the infamous Zero Wing opening, CATS is probably the name of an organization. It isn't necessarily just that guy.

Also, his/their name is Cats, not CATS. It just appears that way because the in-game text is all caps.

Gremlin DVa before the new emotes were out.

(Also as said before, the Miyamoto quote is not a meme or misconception, but a work ethic quote created in an era where video games rarely had post-release patching and would have to have all the content right out the gate)

jg4xchamp

What? Them being delayed and still broken doesn't invalidate his point, most games if not all of them when they are delayed, is probably because the game runs like a hot mess and would benefit from a delay. His quote isn't less wrong because people still made bad games with delays.

Another Zelda example:

latest

Error from Zelda 2 is often cited as an example of "lol look how dumb those game designers were with their glitches and shit!" I mean, they didn't even finish his dialogue!

Except they did; Error is his name, and another guy named Bagu (Bug) refers back to him and you have to return and get an item from him.

I've always assumed his name was supposed to be Erol, like Erol Flynn. (My dad, of all people, pointed that out when I was a kid)

woopWOOP

Pressing B works for most RPG's too. Even if it doesn't skip the dialogue, the B-button usually gets you through the text but won't act as the select button when a choice comes up. I always mashed B when healing at the Pokemon Center too so I wouldn't engage another conversation afterwards.
Another Zelda example:

latest

It's pretty effective too because the quote and name are kind of silly and memorable, so when his brother refers to him you immediately know who he's talking about and where to find him.

That "too much water" was some random, completely stupid complaint that only IGN would make, rather than being a frequent complaint about Ruby and Sapphire for a decade.
This too. I figured the people making fun of that quote were mostly the ones who grew up on that game as their first Pokemon and were pissed their fav Pokemon entry didn't get the same love.

ReyVGM

My submission to this will be the owl from Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Supposedly, you have to listen to his ramblings over and over again if you don't carefully select "no" when he asks if you want to hear his advice again.

In reality, though, you can just press B and skip the whole monologue. For some reason, few people seem to be aware of that.

post more.

You can also press Start to make the text scroll faster in a lot of Zelda games.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

meme:
What is a man?
A miserable pile of secrets!

Correct one:
What is a man?
A miserable little pile of secrets!

Fury451

Banned
When I discovered the pressing B thing for the first time for the owl, I laughed.

The first thing that came to mind for me is this:

ZwUzYbj.gif

I'm not defending Alien Colonial Marines, but the context of this gif and what it spawned is missed by most. The section features a blind and limpid xenomorph, the way it walks and doesn't see the player is intentional and not a glitch or silly ai mistake like many judged it as.

This is a good example, but it still looks silly regardless. Still, the context is important

Top Bottom