• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Corpekata

Banned
If the game crashes it will run like garbage if you restart it. Need to do a full system restart to cure it.

Does for me anyway.

That's typically a sign of a driver crash and "recovery". Try another demanding game next time before reboot see if it also runs worse than normal.

That's typically a sign of a driver crash and "recovery". Try another demanding game next time before reboot see if it also runs worse than normal.

Yes that's probably the case. I run a pretty high overclock on my 980Ti, especially the memory and it's possible it's just not fully stable.

Having said that I've had no issues with other games for a long time now. It even cruises through GTAV on 4K max which is supposed to be one of the best current in game GPU overclock tests.

So it may be my overclock but could also just be a dodgy driver / game.

Waiting on my New PC parts to arrive, I thought I'd fiddle with the settings to see If I could get anything out of the game. Lo and Behold on absolute minimum settings and a reboot of the game I was able to get a stable-ish framerate 40-70 FPS. Its hilarious though, moving one setting up even once results in an unplayable mess. Secondly, after some time passes, about an hour, the game starts to chug more and more until its just an indiscernible mess. Game's still a blast on these absolutely horrid settings, and I'll have some perspective when I'm finally able to bump up these low low settings.

This game's a real piece of work I tells ya'.

I'd love to be playing this at 1080-60.. but On High settings I'm locked 30 and seriously loving the game!! Although shame my R9 390 can't manage ultra 30fps @ 1080

Wait, really? I can manage 1080p/30 on Ultra on an R9 380...as long as I stay outside of Surfers Paradise. Managed to complete enough events there to open up a new festival site in the Outback, which runs perfectly, but it was tough. Perfectly content to play the rest of the game in this manner and hope that they fix performance in that area in a patch.

I literally love this game. Shame about the state of it but I don't have an XB1 so I'm just happy that I have the option to play it at all.

AU Tiger

Made a video on my hanging in there i5 750 + gtx 970. 1080p30 all ultra settings 8x msaa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E18s1ax1y4

Think I've come down to the only setting having a negative effect on stuttering for me is 60fps/uncapped. Putting everything on low to easily get >60fps = still stuttering. Same settings, cap to 30, reduced stutter. Just bizarre.

did you use the windows 10 video recording or something else? I'm having trouble getting fraps or nvidia shadow play to do anything with this game. Like the game ignores them.

jediyoshi

did you use the windows 10 video recording or something else? I'm having trouble getting fraps or nvidia shadow play to do anything with this game. Like the game ignores them.

ShadowPlay, it's odd though. I start the recording on the desktop and then alt-tab into the game. The bottom right indicator disappears but it'll still be recording. Windows key into the desktop to stop the recording there.

Also make sure ShadowPlay is set to record the desktop

alt+q -> settings -> privacy control

I give up on this game.

Since I upgraded to 32gb ram, I no longer get out of memory errors. Instead, I get some major frame lag, especially in surfers paradise. You can feel the game get super sluggish, especially if you're driving fast. If you continue driving fast, it does a hard lock, bsod, then hard reboots. I can easily repeat this behavior.

Installed on SSD, i7 4790k, gtx1080, 32gb ram. Everythings watercooled, no overheating.

So... decided to try it on the xbone. While it technically runs fine, I'm actually noticing audio slowdown in the gps directions and music. That was the last straw. I'll come back to this game when stuff's fixed.

This sounds like one of your memory sticks is faulty. I had the same issue when I upgraded RAM. BSOD is a dead giveaway.

I'd try other games first. This game is a mess, I wouldn't automatically assume it's a hardware issue

I had my system freeze up and had to restart while
Playing this game and I've never had that happen in the two years I've had my PC

I've had several BSOD's, all giving the 0xd1 stop code which points to a memory problem.

My RAM is fine though, it's been heavily tested prior to this game.

Qassim

https://youtu.be/VACUAnzgLRU

Recorded another short video of my performance, settings at the end.

It's smoother for me actually playing due to G-Sync, but overall still having a pretty good time with it. Definitely not where I'd like it to be, still some annoying dips that you see on a couple of occasions in the video.

Buburibon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCBpSGr-qdQ
some footage of a race in surfer's paradise in the rain at 1440p. video settings right at the beginning. basically high preset with 4xMSAA. recorded with geforce experience (is that shadowplay?).

6600k @ 4ghz
GTX1070
16gb DDR4 3000

I too have had much success using the cockpit view in Surfer's Paradise. It's the only camera mode that affords me a steady 60fps in that area of the map.

cskippy

Neo Member
I don't know if it's Norton or what but I can only play the game after a computer restart. Every other time I try it, it CTDs right after the playground logo.

WIndows 10 64 bit Insider Preview Build (<---this might be the issue)
Nvidia Drivers: 372.90
i7 2600k @ 4.4 GHz
MSI GTX 980 Ti @ 1340MHz (stock with power target/temp increased)
8 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1600? (whatever XMP defaults too)

I'm not sure if Norton is the issue but I don't want to install my ANTIVIRUS software for one damn game.

PatzCU

Do you have two HDD hooked up? I had this exact issue and I noticed the behavior looked like it was confused in where to boot, I unhooked the power/SATA cable to my extra HDD and the update installed fine on the next try. Keep everything but your main unplugged and see if that does the trick.

Great suggestion and thanks for responding! You may have just saved my sanity. I've spent a LOT of time googling this and never heard mention of this suggestion. I definitely have 2x HDDs hooked up, I'll give this a try tomorrow.

Do you have to keep your second drive disconnected or can you reconnect it after Windows boots a few times to the primary?

Has anyone run into trouble installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update required to even INSTALL this game??

I spent all day yesterday attempting to install the Windows 10 Anniversary and every single time it would restore my PC to the previous version of Windows on the next restart. So fucking frustrating.

Microsoft requires this Anniversary update to even install Forza and yet the update itself is broken. Typical shit for PC gaming and Microsoft.

If you have any usb card readers or external drives disconnect them, that's why mine kept looping the pos

Ugh, these CTDs are really getting annoying. Event Viewer is showing that the display driver is crashing, but I haven't managed to reproduce the issue on any other game/benchmark (even while testing immediately after FH3 crashes).

Bravoexo

Ugh, these CTDs are really getting annoying. Event Viewer is showing that the display driver is crashing, but I haven't managed to reproduce the issue on any other game/benchmark (even while testing immediately after FH3 crashes).

Have you tried the auto detected settings? Overclocking?

Sky87

I've had this happen once (probably not played as long as you though). It also happened on NMS which suffered from heavy stutters before it was patched.

What i think is happening is that the system believes the driver has hung (because of a long stutter) and restarts it. In the case of this game, when the driver stops responding, the game stops responding as well. When this happened to me on NMS, i could just keep playing after it recovered. It's different on certain games.

Personally i'm just waiting on a patch, as it's quite unsettling that a game is unoptimized to the point it's crashing kernel drivers.

squared

For me, the game is running pretty much stutter and lag free. Very rarely happens, and just for a second if it happens. Even Surfer's is smooth sailing.

4790k @ 4.4
16Gb Ram
GTX1080 @ 2ghz

Affinity and priority fix
Nvidia Control Panel settings set to:
Prefer Maximum Performance
Shader Cache off
Maximum Pre-rendered frames 1

In game settings Ultra, 4xMSAA, no motion blur, 1080p, V-Synced to 48 FPS. Never drops below 48, so I'm happy with that.

s-bojan

Banned
some footage of a race in surfer's paradise in the rain at 1440p. video settings right at the beginning. basically high preset with 4xMSAA. recorded with geforce experience (is that shadowplay?).

6600k @ 4ghz
GTX1070
16gb DDR4 3000

Those are stock clocks?
I have to decide if I should upgrade to 1070, or maybe save a bit for 1080.

Bydobob

980ti @ 1473Mhz
6700k @ 4.5Ghz
16Gb DDR4 @ 3000MHz
SSD
W10
144Hz monitor @ 1929x1080
VSync off, unlocked framerate
Max settings everything except MSAA x4.

The vast majority of the game is spent comfortably above 60fps, but I've seen momentary dips as low as 45. The start of a coastal race where the whole grid is slicing through water springs to mind. There is some micro-stutter but it is rare and unpredictable. Might happen twice in quick succession, then nothing at all for several minutes. It's infrequent enough to have minimal impact on my enjoyment of the game anyway.

I also downsampled the game from 2560x1440 using the same settings and minimum framerates were the same. On the other hand the stutter was more frequent, and I got my first GPU crash. Will log performance next time as this suggests stuttering is linked to a high GPU load rather than CPU.

As a new owner of a One S I'm able to say that the experience on PC is significantly better than on console. 30fps will always be jarring, while the aliasing sticks out a lot more on my 58 inch TV. HDR doesn't add an awful lot beyond looking brighter and more saturated. It's neat to swap between the two formats though and have your progress saved.

Negatives:

Game sometimes gets stuck in a loading loop that is only fixed by Alt-tabbing.

I'm using a Wii U pro controller on PC and cannot for the life of me configure manual controls. Default profiles all lack a 'down shift', and custom is impossible because there are not enough buttons on the controller to assign all functions. Anyone know any workarounds?

Sevenfold

980ti@1460
6700k@4.8
16GB
Installed on an NVME drive.
Game ready drivers.
Yesterday pissed me off with settings that would work for a bit then start to shit themselves, and frame smoothing lurching all over the place or stutter fest, I took the advice from the DF video about the frametimes on the 30fps lock being bang on, and 8xMSAA and higher resolutions increasing performance, and cranked it to 2160p, maxed everything, locked it at 30 in game and turned V-sync off. It's amazing, rock solid, no input lag that I can perceive (17.5 on the TV and wider DS4) and looks incredible (DSR smoothing at 18%) so I'm jumping off the settings merry-go-round at least until patch time.

Ok ive finally settled after weeks of testing and trial/error.

So, only tweak im using is low priority+core 0 disabled (3770k here), Gaming Mode (with ProcessLasso "always" auto settings).

Everything else is game settings:
Vsync, 60fps, all ultra (no framesmoothing no Dynamic) along with 8xMsaa.

Near to zero stuttering, fps as low as 45 in very heavy situations, but im keeping mostly 60fps all around. No hitches.

2560x1080 / 980ti.

dr_rus

Doesn't look like CPU tricks help much here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Forza.../Specials/Benchmarks-Test-DirextX-12-1208835/

GTX-1070-1080p-i7-6900K-4-0GHz-NoTweaks-pcgh.png

GTX-1070-1080p-i7-6900K-4-0GHz-WithTweaks-pcgh.png

The windows key trick saved me a ton of time.

If a load time is longer than usual, press the windows key.

This mostly works for race/bucket list restarts and getting inside the festival garage.

Dave_6

My setup is a 3570K@4.4, 8 GB of DDR3 and a G1 970 with a mild overclock. Playing on a 144hz 1080p monitor and the game is installed on my SSD. I'm pretty sure my RAM isn't helping at all but I can't get the game to run smoothly even locking it at 36 fps. The input lag is pretty bad that way so I just set it back to 72 fps and deal with the stuttering as much as I can.

riflen

It seems as though in this title you want to try to use settings that make you GPU limited as often as possible, in order to get the most consistent performance. The CPU utilisation is weird and as soon as the GPU has to wait, the frame times seem to jump massively.

LostDonkey

It's such a shame shadowplay tops out at 1080p capture. Is there anything else I can use to record 1440 or 4k for this game?

16gbddr4
1070 G1

Just so you know what I'm playing with.

Xyber

It's such a shame shadowplay tops out at 1080p capture. Is there anything else I can use to record 1440 or 4k for this game?

16gbddr4
1070 G1

Just so you know what I'm playing with.

Shadowplay can record up to 4K. Go into the settings and pick either 1440p or 4K, but if your monitor is just 1080p and you are using desktop recording, I think you would have to change the desktop resolution for it to record at higher resolutions.

LostDonkey

Shadowplay can record up to 4K. Go into the settings and pick either 1440p or 4K, but if your monitor is just 1080p and you are using desktop recording, I think you would have to change the desktop resolution for it to record at higher resolutions.

My monitor is 1440p and I have a 4k TV I've tried recording with as well but the videos always end up just 1080p. I'll have a proper poke around in the settings. I'm sure I had it set but I read in a few places that it tops out at 1080p anyway. Hmmm

red731

The windows key trick saved me a ton of time.

If a load time is longer than usual, press the windows key.

This mostly works for race/bucket list restarts and getting inside the festival garage.

This is like the CapsLock trick to speed the loading screens in Xcom2. Nice.

(3570k / 970) Noticed yesterday that there's not much more than 1-2fps difference between the non-dynamic Low and High presets for me. So weird. Both average about 50ish, mid 50s in sparse areas with few cars, 40s in the city.

RedFox85

I have run into a mission that is unplayable for me.. during the first 2 mins of the race everything is glitching out, the sky is dissapearing the textures on stuff are flashing everywhere etc. This goes on until around a specific turn on the track before the game hard locks 100% of the time. I had seen these graphical errors a few times before but they quickly went away, idk what is causing this but it's got me asking myself if its too late to make a dispute with Amazon and get a refund.

I can't believe how poorly this game performs (stuttering, seemingly random frame hits, hard locks/crashes to desktop) and now that I am running into a game breaking bug.. it's just.. ugh. I also have been unable to retrieve ANY of the codes that came with my game, the amzon pre order code was entered in the windows store and the warthog code was as well, neither one will show up in my garage. Clearly we are second class citizens, I had hoped there would be a higher standard for quality in the play anywhere initiative but between this and the abysmal port of Quantum Break I can't say I'm too impressed with MS.

My biggest issue with the PC version right now is the strange slowdown in the garage when I put parts on the car or even just scroll around in the upgade shop in general. Terrible loading times and it just chugs along when I select different bumpers or something.

Top Bottom