• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50% Extra Credit on Trade-Ins at GameStop 9/23-25

NMFried

Sold like 8 games and a few controllers, got just over $300.

Picked up a PS4 Slim, sold my OG, then bought Deus Ex, Batman Telltale, DQVII and MH4U.

Not bad.

hwy_61

Banned
Sold like 8 games and a few controllers, got just over $300.

Picked up a PS4 Slim, sold my OG, then bought Deus Ex, Batman Telltale, DQVII and MH4U.

Not bad.

Especially when you avoided paying tax on that slim :)

That's something I really like about trading stuff in to GameStop.

FFgamer20

Banned
Gamestop SM here. Whatever value you get in the app (in store credit) add 60% to it if pro member (50 % if you are not a pro member, but free member. This may not be mentioned in the ad, but it still applies here).

So for example.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (ps4) - 27.50 trade in for pro, 25 regular/free member. With the promotion you get the following. Pro = 27.50 + 16.50 = 44 trade in value. Free member = 25 + 12.50 = 37.50.

Uncharted 4 - pro credit 16.50, free member 15. With promotion added: pro = 9.90 + 16.50 = 26.40. Free = 7.50 + 15 = 22.50

Overwatch 27.50 trade in for pro, 25 regular. Promotion added, Pro = 27.50 + 16.50 = 44 trade in value. Free member = 25 + 12.50 = 37.50.

Remember the trade in value is 60% extra with the pro membership, 50% with a basic/free membership. Also as far as I am aware, the prices on the app are current and will not change during this promotion. If they do, I will update this thread. In addition, this is for Games and accessories only. Consoles, phones, tablets, and other things of this nature (macbooks since thats a new thing we take now) do not count here.

Lemstar

Gamestop SM here. Whatever value you get in the app (in store credit) add 60% to it if pro member (50 % if you are not a pro member, but free member. This may not be mentioned in the ad, but it still applies here).

So for example.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (ps4) - 27.50 trade in for pro, 25 regular/free member. With the promotion you get the following. Pro = 27.50 + 16.50 = 44 trade in value. Free member = 25 + 12.50 = 37.50.

Uncharted 4 - pro credit 16.50, free member 15. With promotion added: pro = 9.90 + 16.50 = 26.40. Free = 7.50 + 15 = 22.50

Overwatch 27.50 trade in for pro, 25 regular. Promotion added, Pro = 27.50 + 16.50 = 44 trade in value. Free member = 25 + 12.50 = 37.50.
this part is straight up wrong

the listed value in the app for PUR Pro members has the 10% baked in

Overwatch and DXMD are listed as 27.50; that's $25 base + $2.50 (PUR Pro 10% bonus) + $12.50 (50% bonus weekend promo) = $40

the app/web lookup's values aren't always accurate either; the Xbox power adapter value not displaying correctly has been a thing for years, and some games (Bravely Default, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Pokemon B2/W2) aren't even listed anymore but still have values if you try to trade them in, AFAIK

FFgamer20

Banned
this part is straight up wrong

the listed value in the app for PUR Pro members has the 10% baked in

Overwatch and DXMD are listed as 27.50; that's $25 base + $2.50 (PUR Pro 10% bonus) + $12.50 (50% bonus weekend promo) = $40

the app/web lookup's values aren't always accurate either; the Xbox power adapter value not displaying correctly has been a thing for years, and some games (Bravely Default, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Pokemon B2/W2) aren't even listed anymore but still have values if you try to trade them in, AFAIK

Nothing about what I said was inaccurate. I just did a mountain of trade-ins today. Each one traded out for 44. Take a copy in and see how much you get. Same with Overwatch (which surprises me since I thought the community is still strong with this game). If I receive an email stating this is incorrect, or a call from the DM, I will let you guys know, but this is what I been getting all day today with the promotion of those two games in particular.

As for the app, you are correct about that as sometimes the games are no longer in there for one reason or another. You call into a store, they should give you a value. However, I know some stores personally do this (don't ask my why as I am still confused if its just a managers choice) is they will flat out refuse a trade in because they have a high amount of a particular title (Diablo III for consoles being one apparently).

If you are a store manager or ASM or game advisor I apologize if I am coming off as harsh or whatnot. I been an Store Manager for 5 years and This is usually how these promotions go when I run them. I will double check everything and get back to you on it, but I am confident about it for now.

Lemstar

Nothing about what I said was inaccurate. I just did a mountain of trade-ins today. Each one traded out for 44. Take a copy in and see how much you get. Same with Overwatch (which surprises me since I thought the community is still strong with this game). If I receive an email stating this is incorrect, or a call from the DM, I will let you guys know, but this is what I been getting all day today with the promotion of those two games in particular.

As for the app, you are correct about that as sometimes the games are no longer in there for one reason or another. You call into a store, they should give you a value. However, I know some stores personally do this (don't ask my why as I am still confused if its just a managers choice) is they will flat out refuse a trade in because they have a high amount of a particular title (Diablo III for consoles being one apparently).

If you are a store manager or ASM or game advisor I apologize if I am coming off as harsh or whatnot. I been an Store Manager for 5 years and This is usually how these promotions go when I run them. I will double check everything and get back to you on it, but I am confident about it for now.
Here's my receipt from today:

IGPkQvl.png

Here's someone else's:

Pro members don't have a higher base value like you're suggesting. I guess it's not impossible that your store could be running some weird promo where that's actually the case, but I can assure you that it's not normal nationwide.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I traded in about 6-7 mostly older games and got 75 bucks credit today. I asked about trade-in values for the PS4 towards the Pro and they said their deal for bonus credit towards a pre-order already ended. The system isn't out until November 10th, isn't it a bit early to be ending incentives like that? Any chance they might have a second round before release?

I traded in about 6-7 mostly older games and got 75 bucks credit today. I asked about trade-in values for the PS4 towards the Pro and they said their deal for bonus credit towards a pre-order already ended. The system isn't out until November 10th, isn't it a bit early to be ending incentives like that? Any chance they might have a second round before release?

Yeah kind of early for them to say they wont be offering that deal again the PS4 PRO doesnt come out til November..I really want to trade in my PS4 and get the PRO hopefully they will have another bonus credit

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Traded 5 games (Mario Maker, Splatoon, Gravity Rush Remastered, King of Fighters 14, & Kirby Planet Robobot), thanks to the 60% bonus, I got an extra $61 in credit, totaling $163 in credit.

Bought a $50 PSN card, then used the rest to finally order a 64GB Vita memory card, paying only $6.50 out of pocket.

Probably will go back tomorrow to trade in Steins;Gate on Vita for $15 & put it towards a preorder

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Yeah kind of early for them to say they wont be offering that deal again the PS4 PRO doesnt come out til November..I really want to trade in my PS4 and get the PRO hopefully they will have another bonus credit

GameStop is currently offering $125 for a launch PS4 in good condition, Amazon is offering $147.84. I don't want to trade it into Amazon considering I just got 75 bucks that could go towards the Pro at GameStop, but they are offering so much more credit. I'm hoping if I just wait a little bit, that some last chance deal will pop back up at GameStop.

Best Buy is the absolute worst. They could offer 200% extra credit and it would still be shit.

My best buy is flat out bizzare when it comes to trade ins. Don't know if it's a NY thing or just this specific store, but to do trade ins there you need to have receipt proof that the game was originally purchased at best buy. Three times I've tried to trade in there. First time I thought I just got a new employee or something, but two more times different employees both told me that was their policy. Pointless.

Kill3r7

I am tempted to say they will but odds are the next 3 months is when consoles are going to be their cheapest and market value at its lowest for trade ins. Spring is probably your best bet to get a new trade in deal.

My best buy is flat out bizzare when it comes to trade ins. Don't know if it's a NY thing or just this specific store, but to do trade ins there you need to have receipt proof that the game was originally purchased at best buy. Three times I've tried to trade in there. First time I thought I just got a new employee or something, but two more times different employees both told me that was their policy. Pointless.

Just go to any one of the other Best Buys in the city. I find the Union Sq or the one in Chelsea to be very knowledgable and have never had an issue doing trade ins.

GameStop is currently offering $125 for a launch PS4 in good condition, Amazon is offering $147.84. I don't want to trade it into Amazon considering I just got 75 bucks that could go towards the Pro at GameStop, but they are offering so much more credit. I'm hoping if I just wait a little bit, that some last chance deal will pop back up at GameStop.

Yeah Im not bothering with amazon..I sell games on amazon sometimes and they give the buyer 30 days to return the game no questions asked..I sold an old PS2 game, and the person wrote me wanting his money back, claimed he bought 3 of the same game(Yeah right, he played it and changed his mind) so I had to refund him, no way would I sell a PS4 on amazon, too many risks..at least at gamestop they have it they approve it its theirs..just 125 is so low, really hope that before the PRO release date they do something better again

Yeah Im not bothering with amazon..I sell games on amazon sometimes and they give the buyer 30 days to return the game no questions asked..I sold an old PS2 game, and the person wrote me wanting his money back, claimed he bought 3 of the same game(Yeah right, he played it and changed his mind) so I had to refund him, no way would I sell a PS4 on amazon, too many risks..at least at gamestop they have it they approve it its theirs..just 125 is so low, really hope that before the PRO release date they do something better again
I think the person you're replying to is referring to Amazon'a trade-in program. Not selling it as a 3rd party.

Lemstar

Haven't been inside a GameStop in years but, they sell Amazin giftcards now?
They did so for years, but they stopped a couple of months ago. It's kind of hard to cash out GS credit now that you can't get Amazon or eBay credit anymore. (Prepaid Visa cards are no good either.)

bronk

Banned
Sold a bunch of games and got great prices back more than I could have made on craigslist easily. I made $130 and bought 2 $50 psn cards and a $30 netflix card. Now I dont have to go back to Gamestop until a trade deal again.

Should I trade my black ops 3 in now or wait and hope for some upgrade promo.

Do it now. Base value is likely going to drop and I only recall trade-toward promos only going up to 30%. This is likelier the much better promo if you wanna throw it down on an Infinite Warfare pre-order.

Can you trade in games and use the credit towards PS or Xbox store cards or do you have to use the credit to buy/preorder a physical product?

It can be used on the prepaid cards or their computer-generated codes. The only exception with digital items is that you can't use the reward coupons on them. Store credit is fine, though.

Thinking about trading some stuff in to get some Steam prepaid cards. Convert some of my console titles into PC ones.

Rocketz

I got $30 for Garden Warfare 2 which came out in February so I was totally happy with that. Picked up a $50 Xbox GiftCard and used it to get FH3.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
If I walk into the store this weekend and sign up for the basic membership, will I be able to get the bonus right then even as a new member?

Thinking about getting rid of a bunch of my old 360 games since I know I'll never have the patience to sell them individually. :\

Lemstar

So if it says $125 for a base PS4 on the website, that's before the 50% extra, right? Or is the 50% included?
"60% extra credit for any game or accessory traded"

But as a general principle, tradein values that you can look up don't include promotional bonuses at either GameStop or Best Buy.

Bleh their prices for last gen accessories are awful. I'll get $15 for my Dualshock 3 but not even $10 between my Wiimote, Move controller and Move Navigation controller put together. Still might trade them in anyways just to free up some space.

Lemstar

Bleh their prices for last gen accessories are awful. I'll get $15 for my Dualshock 3 but not even $10 between my Wiimote, Move controller and Move Navigation controller put together. Still might trade them in anyways just to free up some space.
No, you'd get $21 for a DS3 ($22.40 if you're a PowerUp Pro member).

You'd be better off selling your Move controllers separately, though.

Jarnet87

Got $90 for Super Mario Bros U, Fire Emblem Awakening, Pokemon Black and FIFA 16. Forgot they won't take unopened games w/o receipt so I could not trade no no Kuni or MGS V. Covered FIFA 17 and most of DQ VII so I'm happy. Even if I don't like VII I'll be able to trade it back for good value, that Nintendo value.

Does the website TIV thing reflect the additional 50%? I looked up the TIV for my DS4 about a week ago, and just did it again today and the TIV is identical.

molnizzle

Can you trade in games that were pack-ins with your console? Like my PS4 came with Uncharted 4. I'd like to trade it in but instead of a barcode it has "not for resale" which makes me think I can't. I don't want any physical games though so it's useless to me. :-/

Lemstar

Does the website TIV thing reflect the additional 50%? I looked up the TIV for my DS4 about a week ago, and just did it again today and the TIV is identical.
no

cmon this was answered like 10 posts above yours

Can you trade in games that were pack-ins with your console? Like my PS4 came with Uncharted 4. I'd like to trade it in but instead of a barcode it has "not for resale" which makes me think I can't. I don't want any physical games though so it's useless to me. :-/
You should be fine. If they're giving you crap about it, trade in the disc by itself.

Ended up trading in 6 games and a few accessories. Surprised at how much I got for a couple of 3DS games. Got $18 for New Super Mario Bros 2 and $19.50 for Kirby Triple Deluxe. I know Nintendo games don't usually lose their value but I always see New Super Mario Bros 2 on sale. Ended up getting $126.16 in credit but couldn't decide what to use it on.

Hey, just went through and did some calculations to see where I'm at with this deal before I go in later toady.

With this stack of stuff:

Witcher 3
Gears of War Ultimate Edition (XBOX ONE)
New 3DS XL Black (Barely Used)
Zelda Link Between Worlds (3DS)
Driveclub
Halo Reach
Skyrim (360)
Dishonored (360)
You don't know jack (360)
dance central 3 (360)
SSX (360)
Mass Effect 2 (360)
Batman Arkham City (360)
Titanfall (XBOX ONE)
My totals come out to:
Gamestop credit: 164.36
Cash: 131.48
Fantasy World Price where everything were to sell for slightly less than the lowest people are selling it on Ebay: $315.17

I feel though, that I'm getting ripped off on the 3DS, so when just selling the games​

Gamestop Credit: $64.36
Cash: $51.48

Debating if its worth it to insta-sell my 3DS to have it out of my life or to do my best to sell in the Buy-Sell thread. Everything else can go as I haven't touched them in years and have pretty much been nothing for so long.

Edit: Funneling Funds into either a PS4:pro or a new i7 processor.

Lemstar

Hey, just went through and did some calculations to see where I'm at with this deal before I go in later toady.
Your numbers don't look right. I'm getting $51.50 base for the games ($77.25 with the 50% bonus or $82.40 with PowerUp Pro's additional 10%).

My suggestion would be to trade in ALBW, TW3, and Driveclub and sell the other games and 3DS elsewhere.

Don't forget to consider eBay fees and having to pay for shipping when evaluating selling on there, though.

ChrisD

Found an extra copy of Pokemon Black due to my Uncle knocking down a basket on accident. :O While cleaning up, I came across it and CoD Vita.

I don't know if I should be happy or disappointed in myself for having that basket go unchecked for so many months :lol... also had a Pokemon Blue and Leafgreen in it that I wish I'd known about during the PokeGo hype. Would have been a nice extra bit of pocket cash. Ah well. Still gonna' make a lot more from this than I initially planned. Thanks for the accidental knocking stuff into the floor, Uncle!

Edit: also, yeah, definitely listen to Lemstar on fees and shipping. It costs me $3~ on average to ship a game, and then there's the 10% final item value fee. It adds up if you sell things piecemeal, but if you bundle you also don't make as much. Some things should definitely be sold eBay or GAF B/S/T, but it will do you good to compare each item as some are better off traded to GameStop/Best Buy.

Your numbers don't look right. I'm getting $51.50 base for the games ($77.25 with the 50% bonus or $82.40 with PowerUp Pro's additional 10%).

My suggestion would be to trade in ALBW, TW3, and Driveclub and sell the other games and 3DS elsewhere.

Don't forget to consider eBay fees and having to pay for shipping when evaluating selling on there, though.

This is very helpful, Thank You! Yeah, I was thumbin' through the Buy/Sell thread and feel like I could make a better deal with a fellow Gaffer. Pretty new to the whole selling thing as I usually just give my stuff away to relatives and friends.
also, yeah, definitely listen to Lemstar on fees and shipping. It costs me $3~ on average to ship a game, and then there's the 10% final item value fee. It adds up if you sell things piecemeal, but if you bundle you also don't make as much. Some things should definitely be sold eBay or GAF B/S/T, but it will do you good to compare each item as some are better off traded to GameStop/Best Buy.

Wow, didn't know any of this... Ebay would have eaten me alive. I gotta get my head in the game I guess!

Weebos

Banned
Can you buy PSN credit with Gamestop credit?

I want to dive in on this flash sale.

EDIT: For the record, you can.

I got $200 PSN credit, $100 Eshop credit, and $50 STEAM credit. They said buying VISA and Amazon stuff wasn't allowed, like has been said in the thread.

Top Bottom