• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EuroGamer: Is DayZ still coming out on console and, you know, WTH is going on?

Source

Whenever I write anything about DayZ, the conversation is dominated by two things: DayZ not being finished and Dean Hall not finishing it. There are legitimate concerns tied around misinformed ones. I have tried to put all of these to the game's creative director Brian Hicks.

But first an update on DayZ console, because it was more than two years ago now that Dean Hall was on Sony's Gamescom stage and that whole journey officially began. And with all the complications holding up the PC version of DayZ, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume DayZ console could be dead.

"No it's not dead at all," Brian Hicks assures me. "It's not dead at all.

"The PC is our flagship platform for DayZ. That is where 99 per cent of our development resources are focused. And while there was a lot of push from Sony and Microsoft to get up on their stages and say 'yes, we're coming', our focus has been exclusively (I want to say exclusively because there's about a one per cent development resource trying to keep those platforms at a point at which, once we get to our beta and our bug fixing, we can start pushing forward on that) on the PC. We can't really move DayZ over to these platforms, at least on a playable level for consumers, until the base engine, Enfusion, is complete. Or if not complete, feature-complete so to speak - the core tech is there."

Given that, and for reasons Hicks goes into later, console DayZ development probably won't begin properly until - if all things go well - early 2017. And in all likelihood the game will appear first on Xbox One owing to Microsoft supporting early access releases via the Xbox Game Preview programme.

"Microsoft has been very eager - I'll say this much - for us to get it on their platform, the Xbox Game Preview programme," says Hicks. "We do keep a small group of programmers on making sure that our PS4 and our Xbox One version are at least, tech wise, it's running on those platforms. But we're not going to be releasing any announcements on dates for those and I don't think we ever have.

A ton more at the source, it's a very interesting read about the state of DayZ.

Crazy to think how long ago I played DayZ when the original mod came out.

What a mess. Total scam. Plus the ship has long since sailed.

As I watch videos on it, I honestly don't understand what is truly DayZ (a game that people can buy and is supposedly coming to consoles *cough*) and what is the skeleton of something called DayZ that fans are modding to make a lot better and maybe a lot different than the original product. Every time I see the game it looks like a completely different product (from graphics, to hub, to maps, etc), moving wildly in different directions of overall quality.

*Disclaimer: I am not a PC gamer, so if this is the way many PC-specific games work, please excuse my ignorance. :}

For example: I watched one of Frankie's most recent Arma3/DayZ videos and the graphics looked outstanding. It was a massive bump from what I'd seen previously- and the zombies had become an actual threat (potential one-hit kills), so I'm not sure if that was the actual DayZ product now in 2016 or likely mod enhancements thanks to the community.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Dean Hall is a scam artist right?
100% yes

As I watch videos on it, I honestly don't understand what is truly DayZ (a game that people can buy and is supposedly coming to consoles *cough*) and what is the skeleton of something called DayZ that fans are modding to make a lot better and maybe a lot different than the original product. Every time I see the game it looks like a completely different product (from graphics, to hub, to maps, etc), moving wildly in different directions of overall quality.

*Disclaimer: I am not a PC gamer, so if this is the way many PC-specific games work, please excuse my ignorance. :}

For example: I watched one of Frankie's most recent Arma3/DayZ videos and the graphics looked outstanding. It was a massive bump from what I'd seen previously- and the zombies had become an actual threat (potential one-hit kills), so I'm not sure if that was the actual DayZ product now in 2016 or likely mod enhancements thanks to the community.
There are two different Day-Zs. One is a mod for ARMA 2 that has existed for years and is kind of playable. The other is a 30 dollar standalone product that it not very playable at all.

flkraven

Ark, Day Z these are the guys that are ruining the early access experience for the legit developers using it properly.

Xeilyn

The server frankie plays on is a non public private server that runs a TON of mods to make his staged videos as interesting as possible. There are alot of bugs due to the amount of mods so its not the recommended way to play

Oneself

Lol. It will never see the light of day. And if it does, it will probably be buggy and terrible. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I would rather replay State of Decay any day than screw around with this garbage. I would be fine with it never coming to consoles.

enewtabie

Seems like a good concept. I actually had this in my wishlist ( just got back into PC gaming, since I stopped in 05) Is there anything else out there similar to Dayz?

nynt9

Didn't Dean have some space game announced?

Afaik Dean abandoned DayZ, he no longer works on it. He's doing other stuff now, like what you mentioned.

I don't wanna say he took the money and ran
, but he took the money and ran.

Maybe my mindset is old-fashioned and I don't really get the Early Access thing, but if you're looking at a 3+ year delay on releasing your game due to switching engines, why not just finish the game to the extent that you can on the current engine, release it, and then save the reinvention in a new engine for the sequel?

Hari Seldon

Dean Hall is a scam artist right?

I don't think he is a scam artist, more like someone who had a good idea but who was waaaaaay in over his head trying to expand it to a real game. And it doesn't help that he is tied to a company that is not exactly known for their excellently performing engines.

Fisty

Maybe my mindset is old-fashioned and I don't really get the Early Access thing, but if you're looking at a 3+ year delay on releasing your game due to switching engines, why not just finish the game to the extent that you can on the current engine, release it, and then save the reinvention in a new engine for the sequel?

Probably because they thought either it wouldn't take nearly as long as it is, or that the game would stay relevant and popular in the time between announcement and final release... and neither of those assumptions look to be correct. It's sad too, because when they talked about this coming to PS4 I was pretty hyped about it. That was over 3 years ago.

I decided to reinstall and play standalone a few days ago after not playing for a few years

...the game hasn't progressed at all. Still runs like garbage, very few zombies, absolutely nothing new of value beyond vehicles, and I was just left wondering what they had been doing for the last few years.

I didn't really followed the development but I thought Bohemia's handling (the engine specifically) of DayZ was a huge part of the problem the game is currently facing?

The game engine used for ARMA 1-3 is dated and is what powered the DAYZ mod. The DayZ standalone game is supposed to be built on an all new engine which is probably why its taking longer, amongst other things. I hear ARMA 4 will be built on this new game engine as well.

Thank god.

Deadbeat

Banned
Does anyone have a comparison of features and content between Arma 2 DayZ mod, Arma 3 DayZ mod (iirc its called something else now), and DayZ Retail product? Because I heard the mod is still miles ahead in features and stuff.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
As soon as the PC BETA is headed in a way we like, we're still committed to bringing DayZ to Xbox, where we have a large community of gamers patiently (very patiently!) waiting for a truly hardcore online survival game. All of that will (and must) happen next year - meaning we're just about to start what could possibly be the most exciting year for DayZ so far. In short: DayZ will be out of Early Access next year, and we'll also finally deliver it to console players in 2018.

https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-28th-november#/player2

dsier

Holy crap, I bought this game on pc 3 or 4 years ago, can’t believe it’s still not out of Early Access! I played it a bit back then but never returned to it, i just assumed it released sometime and kind of got lost in the shuffle.

DayZ is less a game than a well executed scam.

I'm not sure why anyone would play this piece of shit when State of Decay is God-tier by comparison (and has a 4-player co-op sequel coming soon).

sunnz

DayZ is less a game than a well executed scam.

I'm not sure why anyone would play this piece of shit when State of Decay is God-tier by comparison (and has a 4-player co-op sequel coming soon).

Because one is very arcade like, SoD, and one is at least trying to be hardcore, even if it failing to even leave early access

The mod was the reason I got into PC gaming, was incredible and unique. They just took way too long.

6 years since the mod and still no other company has managed to top the dayz mod in terms of open world zombie survival...

Yet we get 20 games for the same genre per year.

Ah ! Dayz, i have fond memories of playing it when it first came out. And then it just relegated to watching vids on YouTube.

NickFire

Years ago I was excited for this game. At this point I don’t believe there’s any way in hell it ever comes to PS4.

Makariel

DayZ had it's time and place, but I think it's way past it's due date now. If it were come out tomorrow, it would not overtake PUBG etc.

Also, similar to Star Citizen, as long as they get paid without releasing the game, why would they? ;)

Venuspower

I went back to DayZ a few weeks ago after I got my 1050Ti.
Last time I played DayZ was around that time they added back zombies into the game (Yes, they removed zombies from the game for a few month).

And what should I say. The good thing clearly is: I have the same FPS with every graphic setting. Does not matter if I play on 1080p@Low, 1080p@Max, 1440p@Low or 1440p@High. It is the only game I have ever played that is able to deliver the same performance with every settings. But the bad news clearly is: The FPS we are talking about are 10 to 20 FPS.
A few years ago a remember how I played with 30 to 40 FPS on Medium settings with my 560Ti.

I really do know how Bohemia wants to get a stable frame rate on console. Maybe they will get a new negativ record in the category: "Games with the lowest FPS on a console we have ever seen". At this point I do not see any way how they want to get more than 5 FPS PS4 PRO, Scorpio or the base models.

Last edited:

Horns

Bohemia Interactive took 5 or 6 years to port the original Operation Flashpoint to the original Xbox. These guys know how to take their time with stuff.

Top Bottom