• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGX 2016 PSVR impressions.

So I've been in Birmingham at the NEC all day for Eurogamers EGX and while playing and checking out some great upcoming games (Horizon on PS4 Pro looks fantastic) I also finally got some hands on with PSVR and came away very happy with the experience.

I've already played Vive, which was really good and I have to say the PSVR was of very similar quality. The screen door effect is minimal, the graphics look good with no performance problems and while it is a lower resolution than Vive or Rift, its still all very good tbh. I played BattleZone, Tethered and Windlands.

BattleZone was great, easy to control and fun to play. The demo was around 10 minutes and had one level where you have to fight off Tanks, Turrets and Drone type enemies, which keeps you looking all around to see where they are coming from.

Tethered was a God Sim / Strategy game, where you had to look after little animal like followers, making them gather resources by looking at a follower, holding X, looking at an objective and releaseing X to make them carry out an action, like cutting trees for wood or farming. You can control elements like rain and sun too, which can help your followers. Some of the people from Evolution (DriveClub) are involved with this and it was a neat little game.

Windlands was a surprise, seen a demo on the internet quite a while ago on PC but I didn't realise it was coming to PSVR too. Basically a first person platforming game where you have 2 grapple hooks, one for each hand (L2, R2) and you can swing around in the trees to navigate the world and over big gaps where you can't make a normal jump. It was a fun game, the controls are very floaty but swinging around and falling from high up made a few people feel a bit sick, I felt a little weird myself after playing for a while but it wasn't too bad so not a major issue for me anyway.

While I didn't get to play anything else, I did see Rigs, VR Worlds, DriveClub VR, Robinson and FarPoint in action and they all looked great too.

The headset is light, easy to put on and adjust and very comfortable to wear, quite a few people made comments that it was better than Rift and Vive in that department and I would definitely agree, especially as someone who wears glasses.

PSVR is shaping up to be an excellent VR solution for console gamers and the games are looking very solid. I'm looking forward to getting my PSVR on launch, great stuff.

mlrcz79.jpg

openrob

Im heading up tomorrow - is there opportunity to get a hands on with any of these without prebooking?

Leemo

Im heading up tomorrow - is there opportunity to get a hands on with any of these without prebooking?

If you join the main PSVR queue as soon as you get there you might be able to jump on any free slots (that's what they did for the first hour today - allowed people to book any cancelled places) - but after that they were turning people away.

Failing that you can just queue up for Battlezone. Do that early though as the queue was 3 hours long when I'd finished my PSVR appointment...!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Can't wait, love my Vive room, and some of the games coming to PSVR also look stellar.

HotHamBoy

How does it compare to GearVR for IQ? It's my only point of comparison.

Very excited for this. I like my Gear but it's too cumbersome. Having to use my phone sucks and having to wipe the phone screen and disassemble/reassemble every time I notice a speck of dirt or a hair really puts me off from messing with it more often.

Not at EGX, but Vienna Gamecity also had PSVR...

my Impressions after playing Rigs and Driveclub:

Both work very well in VR, but the low resolution ruined both games for me completely. It's like taping a 3DS in front of your face. At times my brain couldn't resolve the single dots into a single image and it was literally a display of different coloured dots in front of my face.
This is especially true for light sources and reflected light... Head tracking works mostly fine, even if there's a bit of lag to it. (very minor, and not as distracting as the pathetic resolution)

Rigs: The game is fun, and the sense of scale is quite something. The cockpit gives a very real sense of presence. Movement and aiming need a bit getting used to, but after just a few minutes I was blasting mechs left and right, while jumping around like an extra in the Matrix movies.

Seriously, it's a good game, and maybe the only game I'd recommend so far. If only the resolution was better.

Driveclub: The cockpit view is great and I instantly felt comfortable. But man the graphics are absolute dogshit. Some of the background detail is just a low res smear, while textures like the windshield dirt is extremely high detail...
If you get a VR, make sure to get this game, as despite it's crap graphics it's very very fun to play.

The biggest problem with the PSVR however was the tech. To me it was absolutely dissapointing. The resolution being the main culprit. It just looks bad, and I wouldn't want to use it for longer than 30 minutes at a time as it's simply not pleasant to look at.

As a side note, my Wife tried the luge demo, and had to quit halfway through because she almost threw up. She got better soon after though, so at least the effect went away pretty fast.

Venom Fox

Banned
Go as quick as you can to the line and ask to create a booking. Honestly just leg it there lol. You don't get to ask what demo to play though. They just dump you on a random unit.

You can play BattleZone, Tethered and Windlands without booking, might have a bit of a wait in line but worth it, they are in the first section to the right hand side, just after you enter. Tethered and Windlands are in the corner, easy to miss unless you search for them.

Excellent, RIGS and Battlezone are making it hard to choose between them since I'm getting a sizable bunch of the other PSVR launch games too, so I probably can't get both right away.

Especially with World of FF and Exist Archive also taking some of my money.

I want and played battlezone today and was truley impressed with the immersion but ! Screen was very grainy I am used to finer detail.! I got told that build was 6 months old only but now u have read some of your reviews it collates with what I thought. PlayStation my pre order is now cancelled.

Highlight of the day. Gt sport triely mind blowing!

As a side note, my Wife tried the luge demo, and had to quit halfway through because she almost threw up. She got better soon after though, so at least the effect went away pretty fast.

This is the thing that worries me the most about VR and not being able to play games more than 10 mins without getting sick. I have tried Eve and even though I really liked the experience, I felt weird after I was done with the demo. I am hoping using it regularly, one can handle it better.

This is the second time Vive is mentioned in passing with being similar in quality/experience, even though Vive's room scale changes the experience completely.

I want and played battlezone today and was truley impressed with the immersion but ! Screen was very grainy I am used to finer detail.! I got told that build was 6 months old only but now u have read some of your reviews it collates with what I thought. PlayStation my pre order is now cancelled.

Highlight of the day. Gt sport triely mind blowing!

How was GT Sport mind blowing? I'd love to read positive things about it.

That actually is a perfect way of summing up my feelings from when I used it last year.

Have you tried a vive?
Because in all honesty you can make the same complaint, if you want to be negative. There is only so many ways of spreading 1080p to the point where it covers most of your vision, after all.

Gt sport I would of bought today based on that build driving with wheel and pedals. Truely a sight and feeling with force feedback of wheel to experience .

I also loved look of final fantasy 15 , kingdom hearts 2.8 . Qs where horrendous!

What is the PSVR resolution compared to the Vive? If it's any worse then I'm probably not going to enjoy it. Vive is borderline as it is.

1080p/120hz

How does it compare to GearVR for IQ? It's my only point of comparison.

Very excited for this. I like my Gear but it's too cumbersome. Having to use my phone sucks and having to wipe the phone screen and disassemble/reassemble every time I notice a speck of dirt or a hair really puts me off from messing with it more often.

Major difference. I own the Gear VR and have played a lot with the PSVR and even though people complain about the resolution, it looks stunning. There is barely any screen door effect, the headset is so light you barely realize it is there and it's insanely comfortable (Can't say the same about Gear VR). PSVR is a wonderful experience and if more developers jump on, it's going to be great.

AHA-Lambda

Have you tried a vive?
Because in all honesty you can make the same complaint, if you want to be negative. There is only so many ways of spreading 1080p to the point where it covers most of your vision, after all.

I've not tried a Vive, but I have tried Oculus. It was certainly there too but wasn't as bad I felt.

This is the second time Vive is mentioned in passing with being similar in quality/experience, even though Vive's room scale changes the experience completely.

I'm not sure what it is, maybe PSVR's RGB OLED screen helps but despite the lower resolution, it still seems pretty close to Vive overall. I certainly don't see a difference thats justifying nearly double the cost anyway and Sony seem to have way more interesting, full games coming at launch too.

Both have a fuzziness to the image, so maybe that doesn't help the Vive's higher res screen and while PSVR is not quite as Sharp, its still perfectly fine and after a few minutes, once you get immersed, it becomes a non issue just like with Vive. Sure some picky people might not like it but its really not a big issue at all.

Vives room scale tech is what really gives it the edge over the others but I'm not sure it will ever reach its full potential for gaming, at least not any time soon, with it needing a big space to use and the cost of the Vive is clearly an issue to make it mainstream right now, Vive and Rift sales have slowed to a crawl already.

Mokubba

Had to wait for 2 hours and some woman from the Sniper Elite booth kept bringing people and jumping the queue.

First time wearing a VR headset but I already sort of knew what to expect reading GAF threads about the store demos.
So every headset is wiped with wet wipes and microfiber clothes after each use but it leaves a bit of residue on the screen so there's a slight blur. Even without that, I'm pretty sure what you see on the VR set looks blurrier than the feed on the TV due to the screen being closer to your eyes.

So I set the headset on and adjust it and it's super comfortable. Demo starts and first thing i notice is the scale. The cockpit looked much bigger than the TV image. I go through the quick tutorial just looking around and thinking this looks ok.

Once my tank gets elevated to the battlefield and I get control, a big grin appeared on my face. Your whole field of vision is filled and looking around is a must because you're getting shot from all directions including some flying drones so you need to look up too.

It felt natural and I didn't have no issue with sickness at all. I also spoke to the dev and they said it's the old build which has been used for trade shows for months now. The full game will better optimized they said. He also said there will patch it for PS Pro as well but final say on that comes from the people higher up so not much to say or confirm.

Friend of mine went crazy when he turned around in the tank and saw a fire extinguisher.

I was getting cold feet about keeping my pre order before but I'll be buying it for sure.
After seeing PS4 pro with Horizon though, VR might get moved to next year.

NuttSack

Are there any articles of people using the PSVR on a Pro compare to a regular PS4?
I constantly hear it's going to be better but i'll love to know the difference(s).
The PS meeting was so barren on VR.

Are there any articles of people using the PSVR on a Pro compare to a regular PS4?
I constantly hear it's going to be better but i'll love to know the difference(s).

I think all demos have been on regular PS4 to show people that you don't need Pro to have a great VR experience. Pro will give us better graphics, maybe slightly sharper image quality, thanks to its higher internal resolution and Super sampling methods but PS4 already does a nice job running VR.

Cerny said that Farpoint is running at twice the resolution before getting sent to the headset.

Edit: Yeah, I think they definitely want to show people that the Pro isn't required to enjoy good PSVR.

AmyS

I've tried PSVR on two different weekends at GameStop.

first time: Battlezone

second time: EVE: Valkyrie, The Deep (loved the shark)

Very impressed overall. I'll get one in February around my birthday, but this November will get PS4 Pro at launch on the 10th and a 4K TV on Black Friday.

Saberus

Not at EGX, but Vienna Gamecity also had PSVR...

my Impressions after playing Rigs and Driveclub:

Both work very well in VR, but the low resolution ruined both games for me completely. It's like taping a 3DS in front of your face. At times my brain couldn't resolve the single dots into a single image and it was literally a display of different coloured dots in front of my face.
This is especially true for light sources and reflected light... Head tracking works mostly fine, even if there's a bit of lag to it. (very minor, and not as distracting as the pathetic resolution)

Rigs: The game is fun, and the sense of scale is quite something. The cockpit gives a very real sense of presence. Movement and aiming need a bit getting used to, but after just a few minutes I was blasting mechs left and right, while jumping around like an extra in the Matrix movies.

Seriously, it's a good game, and maybe the only game I'd recommend so far. If only the resolution was better.

Driveclub: The cockpit view is great and I instantly felt comfortable. But man the graphics are absolute dogshit. Some of the background detail is just a low res smear, while textures like the windshield dirt is extremely high detail...
If you get a VR, make sure to get this game, as despite it's crap graphics it's very very fun to play.

The biggest problem with the PSVR however was the tech. To me it was absolutely dissapointing. The resolution being the main culprit. It just looks bad, and I wouldn't want to use it for longer than 30 minutes at a time as it's simply not pleasant to look at.

Your experience is most negative thing I've read about PSVR, do you think maybe it was defective? or it wasn't on your head correctly?.. it would suck to have such a bad response.

Hope you get to try it again at some point.

Nikodemos

It might depend on how good your eyesight is. Some people with perfect vision might be less impressed with the visuals compared to those with poorer eyesight.

elohel

Vr is the new way to game. I firmly believe that. So much potential there.

I'm so on the fence and I rarely am with diving into stuff like this

I want it but I'm concerned that only....hardcore gamers will appreciate it but that's ridiculous right?

lol probably is but there's a sticking point for some reason not sure what it is

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm excited to get it home and tinker with it, I've demod it several different times. I will say the image is always washed out though.

I am almost sure that PSVR combined with the PS4 Pro will be a similarly great experience as Vive, at a much lower price point still. So looking forward to it.

pswii60

I want it but I'm concerned that only....hardcore gamers will appreciate it but that's ridiculous right?

lol probably is but there's a sticking point for some reason not sure what it is
I'm the same. I've not tried PSVR, but I did spend some time trying Vive which was fun, but ultimately seemed little more than a novelty. I just have a strong feeling that if I buy PSVR it'll end up gathering dust after a few weeks. I might just get the Pro.

lt519

Cancelled mine after trying it at Best Buy a couple times, not a good first impression. Immersion is great but the tech is meh and the games are awful.

I'm always shocked people think Battlezone was fun.

Probably better to try it yourself as people's opinions differ quite a bit, especially on the internet but my girlfriend, who is not a massive hardcore gamer, loved it.

She enjoyed Tethered more than the other games, as its more of slower paced game with cute animal characters, but she still enjoyed BattleZone too and was looking forward to playing more when I get my launch PSVR.

Toparaman

Banned
That actually is a perfect way of summing up my feelings from when I used it last year.

Same. Jaggies all over the place when I tried it last year at PSX. Probably fine for low-fi or low-poly games, but I definitely wouldn't want to play a super-detailed game in PSVR.

I really doubt VR is going to be the ideal way to play Resident Evil 7, for example.

By contrast, I think Phil Fish's new game (SuperHyperCube I think?) is a great fit for VR.

jaypah

Can't wait, love my Vive room, and some of the games coming to PSVR also look stellar.

This is where I am. Absolutely love my Vive but if PSVR has enough quality software (which imo it looks like it will) then I have no problem getting one. Sure, you lose a bit of power coming from Vive and certainly roomscale is bonkers but I can still appreciate a polished sit-down VR game.

Edit: Regarding blurriness, dithered, "pixely" or jaggy graphics; It will vary person to person. Not saying the people who experienced it are lying but it's really something you have to try. For some the immersion kicks in harder than the visual faults. I haven't played PSVR yet so this is just based on Vive, DK2 and GearVR. But I can see the visual imperfection in all of them and still get completely lost in the experience, even years later. So please, before you write off PSVR or any VR give it a go if you can. You just might get your mind blown.

Cancelled mine after trying it at Best Buy a couple times, not a good first impression. Immersion is great but the tech is meh and the games are awful.

I'm always shocked people think Battlezone was fun.
Yeah I came away from it saying this is something I could really like at home, but not something im in a rush to spend $500 on. I'm just going to take the wait and see approach and wait for the tech and games to mature for about a year and revisit it and hope Sony still has great support going for it around then.

This might sound sort of meta, but VR is also sort of dependant on willingness to immerse. My friend and I went into identical vive demos, but he spent a good chunk of time trying to break the illusion, while I was tripping out. If you're looking for flaws, you can certainly find them with current hardware, but if you don't focus on them, you'll be crazy engrossed. Resolution and screen door effect are pretty easily adapted to.

beef3483

This might sound sort of meta, but VR is also sort of dependant on willingness to immerse. My friend and I went into identical vive demos, but he spent a good chunk of time trying to break the illusion, while I was tripping out. If you're looking for flaws, you can certainly find them with current hardware, but if you don't focus on them, you'll be crazy engrossed. Resolution and screen door effect are pretty easily adapted to.

Yeah, I've heard more than one person person say something to the effect of, it wouldn't matter if graphics were like the original virtual fighter, because the immersion is that great. If you value super crisp visuals above all else, then VR is probably not for you and won't be for awhile. If immersion is what you are looking for, then I think it does just fine.

Crumpo

Thanks for the impressions OP. It's criminal that 3 weeks from release we still have no demo stations that you dont need to pay to use.

I'm not dropping £350+ on new hardware that might make me sick, Sony.

KOHIPEET

If only games weren't so damn expensive.

I have no real issue shelling out the price of the headset and a camera. but paying full price for some of the better looking/more ambitious games just puts it off my list at least till Christmas. (In hope that there will be some discounts or perhaps some good second-hand deals.)

Played at Best Buy (after a thorough wiping down) and I love it. Clearly the future folks. Battle zone felt like I was literally in a battle zone. It was so intense.

Mokubba

Thanks for the impressions OP. It's criminal that 3 weeks from release we still have no demo stations that you dont need to pay to use.

I'm not dropping £350+ on new hardware that might make me sick, Sony.
I got am email about a tour around the UK from Sony for vr but you have to book in advance.

[Cross posted from another thread]

OK. I was at EGX today and managed to get 4 goes on PlayStation VR.

The hardware first. I've got to say it has definitely improved since I first tried it a year ago. It's still just as light and comfortable as before, but the screen door effect has now all but gone. The combination of 3x sub pixels and top tier lenses are certainly doing their job. The only time I got a hint that you are inches away from a 1080p screen is when looking at large block of light, plain colour. Even then, it's a very fine grid and you probably wouldn't notice if you were engrossed in a game. One thing to note, you do need to ensure you have the headset properly positioned on your head, though. If you have it slightly too high or too low the image becomes very blurry. Get it central, and it's crystal clear. Response times for the headset are flawless. Move your head around and the screen updates perfectly. The reprojection also means everything is smooth as silk and images retain their cohesion as you look around the scene - no blurring and no double images. Last year I wore contact lenses to play PSVR. This time I wore glasses and the headset fit just fine.

Onto the games then.

First up, Battlezone. A neon drenched FPS with you seated inside a tank. You really get a feeling of being in that cockpit. It certainly achieved a sense of presence as I felt compelled to stretch out my legs and fill the virtual space I was in. Look over your shoulder and you can see the seat you can feel supporting you. Lifting the DS4 in front of your face to see it floating in virtual space cements the experience. It really is a lovely looking game, both in terms of design and technical achievement. That being said, the image overall did look rather soft. Presumably the game is running below 1080p, but for me it didn't detract from the overall experience. Gameplay wise it was a solid experience, with no cause for criticism. Essentially it follows the same control mechanisms of any other FPS. It was, of course, only a short demo so I couldn't comment on longevity or replay value, but I certainly enjoyed what I experienced.

Next up, Tethered. A strategy game where you play God to the "Peeps" that inhabit floating islands. From your vantage point on top of a cloud you can peer down on your underlings and tether them to tasks and resources throughout their Island to help them survive. The Islands are beautifully realised with an incredible sense of solidity and I found myself fighting the urge to reach out and touch them. To find them jobs to do, you survey the land in front of you by not only moving between the clouds to get the best vantage point, but by moving your head to look under and around objects in the game world. You can even lean in to take a closer look. Overall its beautiful, with buckets of charm. Occasionally though, the low resolution does make itself known. Small characters wandering into the distance on large maps can sometimes become a blob of pixels. It's easily fixed by switching viewpoints, but it's a small distraction in an otherwise glorious looking game. And although its not really my kind of game, I can see fans of God Sims getting a real kick out of this.

Then onto Farpoint, which in many ways totally blew me away. As in holy f**k, I've never felt so exhilarated playing a game before. You play the game with the VR Aim Controller. An evolution of the PS3's sharpshooter, It looks like some plumbing supplies with a glowing ball on the end. But when in the game the 1:1 tracking means it transfers perfectly to the weapon your holding. The feeling of looking down and seeing your virtual avatar holding the weapon you can feel in your hands, complete with gloved hands and space suit, is uncanny. The shooting mechanics are completely natural. You just aim and fire as you would if you were really doing it. You can even lift the gun to your face to look down the sights. You traverse canyons, caves and mountain ledges using one of the analogue sticks on the Aim controller. The discord between me and my virtual self felt a little strange at first, but I soon settled in and never felt the dreaded motion sickness. Then the action started as huge spiders (and bigger ones and then even bigger ones) started to attack. And it was incredible. It was tense, suspenseful and action packed in equal measure, Blasting these creatures as if you were really there was incredibly satisfying and got the adrenaline pumping. It gave me a real buzz. Graphically this was actually pretty strong. Aside from some shimmering edges there wasn't really any detriment from running in VR. In fact, it was so good the prospect of PS4 Pro running this game at double the resolution instantly sold me on an upgrade there and then. That's gonna be magnificent. As a short demo Farpoint nailed it for me. How much story, strategy or variation will be built into the game remains to be seen, but what I played was simply stunning.

Last up was Windlands, a conversion of the Indie game already available on PC. Visually it was more simplistic than the other games, but that meant a nice, crisp, high resolution image with little in the way of jaggies, that stands up well to its PC counterparts. The object of the demo was to find your way through the levels using a pair of grappling hooks to swing between the trees, spider-man style. Like Farpoint, this game relies on open first person movement, but unlike that demo, this required lots of fast, frantic movement and lots of spinning around (at least it did for me because I was shit at grappling). The result was a less than comfortable experience. I never felt sick, but I felt hot and slightly disorientated for the first time. As much fun as swinging through the trees was, I wouldn't recommend it with a hangover.

So overall I enjoyed my further time with PlayStation VR and my pre-order is secure. As we've always known they would, graphics do take a hit. But as a trade off for the level of immersion delivered, it's a worthy sacrifice and one that can mitigated with PS4 Pro if it really bothers you. 3 weeks to go. Can't wait.

EDIT - just want to say a huge thanks to the guys from Rebellion, Secret Sorcery and Psytec for their hospitality and willingness to chat to gamers. They really are passionate about what the do.

Apenheul

From the demos I've played (World VR, DriveClub VR and Until Dawn Rush of Blood) I've concluded that it will be a very good and affordable entry point into the medium-end of VR experiences. Just know that the games will look nothing like PS4 or even PS3 games, the three demos I've mentioned give the impression of a Vita game running at half-resolution in terms of graphics. The head tracking works really well though.

Your experience is most negative thing I've read about PSVR, do you think maybe it was defective? or it wasn't on your head correctly?.. it would suck to have such a bad response.

Hope you get to try it again at some point.
I tried 3 different demo stations and all were the same. My wife gave up completely after almost repainting the demo station.

I tried rigs twice. I have no desire to try again. VR is fun, but the PSVR is to me the worst way to experience it.

Still, for those that want to endure a first gen. VR, get Driveclub and Rigs. Both are good games and playable in short bursts.

I personally will wait for adequate hardware before considering it.

Top Bottom