• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theres no place like hubs

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I like Cassardis (DDogma)

it feels like some kind of south european little town.

Spent a lot of time running around Cassardis in the demo they had. Lot of cool (if relatively worthless) stuff tucked away. Hidden on rooftops or in alcoves. Gran Soren even moreso. Love the area design of Dragon's Dogma with respect to secrets like that.

Choomp

Banned
I have been fascinated by hubs since I was a kid. I personally enjoy online ones, The Citadel from Destiny and the starting point in NintendoLand to name a few that stand out.

110995.jpg

Nothing comes close to Inaba from Persona 4 for me. I felt home while playing, literally no other game has given me the same feeling.

Another great one. Everything about this game was warm and beautiful, Inaba growing on you to feel like your real home is a big reason for that.

I would try to finish P3 first. I played P4 before P3 and it was hard to go back.

Meh, I disagree, I think which one you like more depends on your personality at the time. I played p4 first but got stuck because I didn't feel like grinding late in the game, decided to give p3 a try on easy and had an absolute blast. Still haven't gotten around to finishing p4. I just prefered the story and setting/atmosphere more in p3, though I do admit I found p4's cast more memorable. I'm not sure if I'd feel the same way now, as p3 definitely had a bit more angst than p4. I'd probably enjoy p4 more now, but that's nothing to do with one being older than the other, just very different moods between the two. Hoping p5 will strike a middle ground, darker than p4 but not as angsty as p3.

On topic, thanks to whoever mentioned Catherine ( I'm on mobile), I tend to forget about it but it was a great game and the bar really did feel like home by the end! I'm going to have to go with Demons Souls' Nexus as my hub of all time though.

I'm gonna use to term "hub" very loosely and say The Motor Inn from The Walking Dead Season 1

It was very refreshing to come back there and chat up with all your buddy's every now and then.

Up until the middle of Episode 3

One of the more disappointing things of Season 2 is that it completely lacked any sort of "hub", a place where you can finally relax and talk with the newer characters. If Season 2 had these kind of hubs, I'm mostly certain that the characters would've been more likable.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm going to have to agree with Illium in Mass Effect 2. Gives me an amazing feeling, such a nice chilled out place. Maybe a little lacking in content though. The Eternity bar is amazing.

Kthulhu

Meh, I disagree, I think which one you like more depends on your personality at the time. I played p4 first but got stuck because I didn't feel like grinding late in the game, decided to give p3 a try on easy and had an absolute blast. Still haven't gotten around to finishing p4. I just prefered the story and setting/atmosphere more in p3, though I do admit I found p4's cast more memorable. I'm not sure if I'd feel the same way now, as p3 definitely had a bit more angst than p4. I'd probably enjoy p4 more now, but that's nothing to do with one being older than the other, just very different moods between the two. Hoping p5 will strike a middle ground, darker than p4 but not as angsty as p3.

On topic, thanks to whoever mentioned Catherine ( I'm on mobile), I tend to forget about it but it was a great game and the bar really did feel like home by the end! I'm going to have to go with Demons Souls' Nexus as my hub of all time though.

Oh I loved P3, it's just that a lot of mechanics are outdated and P4 fixes a lot of them (fuck the fatigue system)

Chaozfly

Neo Member
Mass Effect - Normandy
Hub for three games. A place for great talks and with awesome music.

Dark Souls - Firelink Shrine
Best Souls Hub Music and Hub of my first Souls game. Majula, it just didn't really click.
DS3 Firelink wasn't connected to the world, which I found somewhat disappointing.

AC2/AC:B - Monteriggioni
I really liked thís small Italian town.

The campsite in Psychonauts.

Overview screens look terrible, so I picked a selection of screens taking place in the hub.

727cbea06821610d49d692a7daaf5f2798fea04c59625ead27fc69afc25d387a_product_card_screenshot_600.jpg

4bef425f821d44c4c14d0f7a75ffc65777125a09e68085ab196064fa107a3050_product_card_screenshot_600.jpg

600e28b90646e6dde8f49cf9c8a4d600c35c2a137e7ae6845ebcc71469561f0d_product_card_screenshot_600.jpg

Filled with characters to interact with, with a ton of optional dialouges and neat/funny interactions with your powers. Furthermore, it is filled with collectibles and akin to Metroid game design, unlocking powers allows for further exploration.

Whispering Rock Summer Camp was great - miss it so.

This Hub infuriates me to no end because it's Mario in GREEN, ffs.
Also, giant floatings heads creep the fuck out of me.
Such a step down from the Observatory in the first one too :(
But the music is so, so good.

The observatory is so much better; the music is also leaps and bounds ahead. Starship Mario got pretty annoying.

3D Mario really needs to bring hubs back.

Peach's Castle and Delfino Plaza were great, but the Comet Observatory was disappointing, Starship Mario was tiny as hell, and 3D Land had a generic menu and 3D World had a slightly glorified map screen. Bring back Mario hubs!

Agreed on Comet Observatory. Just not an interesting area to explore. Peach's Castle and Delfino are still master class hub areas as far as I'm concerned.

jetsetrez

This is a great thread. These are one of my favorite things in games. Some of my favorites have already been mentioned though; Isle Delfino, PSO, Mass Effect. If Shenmue, Yakuza, and Persona 4 count, definitely those, but their "hubs" are essentially their entire main town. But man, those are three of my favorite places to be in games.

sappyday

Demons Soul's Nexus and Dark Souls' Firelink Shrine are great. I don't like how static the npcs get in Majula and I dislike how small the Hunter's Dream was. The Nexus was huge and had some really cool secrets. DS1 Firelink Shrine was always a relief to go back to and I liked how some NPCs come and went.

PillarEN

I have had P4 on my bucket list for a long time but I still haven't finished P3.

Would it be bad to just jump in without finishing PES?

FES as in the extra bonus content or are you talking about the mainline game?

You can skip the extra FES content but I would recommend pushing through Persona 3. All that building up to the end is too good to miss out on.

Vex_

Banned
I want to add another one to this thread:

I like how it feels like a space colony where all types of people (or species) can come together and be happy. Even if just for a bit. Everyone walking around, talking, doing their own thing.

I posted pso2 and now this :3 So I guess this means I like the sci fi hubs the most.

Mista Koo

I always love it when I find my old posts on the topic while searching for images lol.
Anyway, my two favorites from last gen:

1. The Observatory (Super Mario Galaxy)

kchBGgm.jpg

2. Showdown Town (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts)

csoxjPSl.jpg

I had so much fun running around in both, and they both had great dynamic music.

Top Bottom