• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2: Multiplayer Game Mode changes (Attrition, LTS, Amped HP, Capture Flag)

Good summary video from FrothyOmen.

https://youtu.be/QKfju5qYbSk

Here are just some of the things I picked up - worth watching the full video though as s

Attrition - changed points for kills. Grunts all worth 1 point. Pilots 5. Titans 10. Makes 'Grunt farming' less rewarding. Much more rewarding to take down Titans. Upped score to win match.

Bounty Hunt - Some tweaks from Tech test, no major changes.

Amped Hardpoint - Same as Tech test.

Last Titan Standing - Batteries spawn throughout match periodically, neutral, anyone can pick them up. Risk/reward meta game. Also in last 30 seconds, all Titans revealed on map to avoid dead end matches.

Capture Flag - Changes to flag timers

Keasar

Hardpoint still need A.I soldiers, the matches in TF2 were boring because of the lack of action compared to TF1 when you could be standing on a point and nothing happened. No NPCs attacking if no players decided to swing by. This became especially boring when you had to sit around for even longer to amp the hardpoints.

They should have no impact of the match of course, capturing points should be up to pilots completely, but I want them around as fodder again to fill my titan meter while hunting for other players.

I have zero issue with no AI in some modes.

For example?

Keasar

CTF, hardpoint.. these 2 come to mind. They don't seem necessary. More like a distraction if that.

CTF is the one I can understand, but if Amped Hardpoint needed anything it was some distraction, especially when you were standing around on points to Amp them. In TF1 it worked good because when attacking a point it gave you some grunts to shoot at, then some more that would attack over time while capturing the point.

They also provided cannon fodder to kill while on your way between points so if you were good, you could easily pop some grunts for extra points towards your Titan meter so you could drop it faster, they encouraged skill. Though I guess if you played on consoles you could only either wall run or shoot with the controls so there wasn't the same possibility.

Also, if you had played enough, it became really easy to distinguish between pilots and A.I soldiers. Even more now in TF2 when they seem to have outlines, differences in silhouettes and more.

Keasar

I must be crazy. I never camped on Hardpoint. I wanted to be in on the action.

Amping is a massive benefit. I could help but do the thing that benefited the team the most even if it was dull. Just a horrible design.

In the video he touches on the same subject and I agree. The problem with Hardpoint in TF2 Tech Test was that the Amping part is just generally counter intuitive to the fast paced design of Titanfall. It's boring to stand around, but in Amped Hardpoint it was basically necessary to do so because how beneficial it was.

Tarnpanzer

Amped Hardpoint sounds dull. Maybe they bring back normal Hardpoint with grunts at a later date, if the playercount for Amped Hardpoint will stay low.

Chris1

Amped hardpoint was horrible, the whole amped thing just completely ruined it. Sad to see there's no grunts but I doubt it would have changed much anyways. The whole amped part of it needs to be redone or it stays amped once you fully amp it, until someone attempts to capture.

CTF is the one I can understand, but if Amped Hardpoint needed anything it was some distraction, especially when you were standing around on points to Amp them. In TF1 it worked good because when attacking a point it gave you some grunts to shoot at, then some more that would attack over time while capturing the point.

They also provided cannon fodder to kill while on your way between points so if you were good, you could easily pop some grunts for extra points towards your Titan meter so you could drop it faster, they encouraged skill. Though I guess if you played on consoles you could only either wall run or shoot with the controls so there wasn't the same possibility.

Also, if you had played enough, it became really easy to distinguish between pilots and A.I soldiers. Even more now in TF2 when they seem to have outlines, differences in silhouettes and more.

I never had trouble distinguishing pilots from grunts. Just very different animations, skins, silhouettes, movement styles... everything. I do feel like they added little to my experience and only occasionally got in the way.

I do understand why you think it's less important in CTF though, those guys were even less relevant to that mode. I just don't think they're important to either mode, perhaps even detracting.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Do Respawn do some stuff just to be smart arses?

So they bring back Attrition only because we complained. They add bots but in far lower numbers than before, but then also modify the point system to discourage bot farming.

I just...I can't.

So they bring back Attrition only because we complained. They add bots but in far lower numbers than before, but then also modify the point system to discourage bot farming.

I just...I can't.

They never said attrition was not gonna be in the game.

That is just something people assumed because it wasn't in the tech test and the "evolved attrition" mode aka bounty hunt was.

Amping is a massive benefit. I couldn't help but do the thing that benefited the team the most even if it was dull. Just a horrible design.

Exactly, amping is such an unnecessary "evolution" to the mode. They could have instead put in a momentum-like system that involves farming bots or something, and when the momentum bar is filled, you get double points. Would encourage movement and give purpose to bots in that mode.

B3N1

This seems to shape up quite nice. I guess I'll spend my October with Gears anyway, and jump in on a sale.

3rd person execution at 16:25 still looks lame, and I miss my sidearms.

The new energy guns shown in the video look interesting, but the playerbase will eventually figure out the best 3-5 of them and keep to those.

RedFury

I just...I can't.
Did you even watch the video? He clearly said the #s are the same what changed was densities and bot lvls(spectre, reapers, etc).

Izuna

Banned
Titans are worth way too much, especially since last hit takes the cake... :S

I want a beta to test it lol

Also one stray in R1 was to try and mitigate the points given to the other team when your Titan is dying by going for the minions instead. If that doesn't work then well, I hope teammates don't drop Titans for no reason.

EDIT: Spectres were NEVER worth two...

what, Attrition was NEVER brainless. Ugh I really don't like the shit FrothyOmen says

EDIT2: I see the Bounty Hunt UI change. Nice Respawn =) I might enjoy this mode even more now, especially since the spawns are far apart anymore.

EDIT3: ...................................... why did he put so much R1 footage in this video =( it made the rest look like ass

After the beta I need a demo or free weekend before I buy the game. I don't trust them to take feedback and make changes after how wrong they got everything in the beta.

Gator86

I just...I can't.

Are you saying you wanted bot farming to be a thing? I like the new changes. Farming shouldn't sway the game, but is nice to pacing, flow, and encouraging faster titans without sidetracking the game too much. Losing because the other team spent the entire game hiding and killing defenseless AI is terrible.

I feel like I'm going to spend 100% of my time playing attrition in this game too. Camped hardpoint sucks.

After the beta I need a demo or free weekend before I buy the game. I don't trust them to take feedback and make changes after how wrong they got everything in the beta.

There wasn't a beta. It was a technical Alpha. A build from, I think they said May?

They changed a decent amount. They didn't even show very much at all in that technical alpha. Big map for testing instead of the smaller movement orientated maps.

There wasn't a beta. It was a technical Alpha. A build from, I think they said May?

They changed a decent amount. They didn't even show very much at all in that technical alpha. Big map for testing instead of the smaller movement orientated maps.

Nothing you said matters considering his overall point of needing a demo before purchasing the game.

After what we played, a free weekend would definitely help.

Mechazawa

On top of introducing grunts, was really hoping they'd ditch amping Hardpoints. :/

I completely forgot about LTS too. Man, that's...gonna be weird with the battery mechanic.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Are you saying you wanted bot farming to be a thing? I like the new changes. Farming shouldn't sway the game, but is nice to pacing, flow, and encouraging faster titans without sidetracking the game too much. Losing because the other team spent the entire game hiding and killing defenseless AI is terrible.

I feel like I'm going to spend 100% of my time playing attrition in this game too. Camped hardpoint sucks.

I rarely played a game in the first game where a team won because of bot farming. But bot farming was part of the first game's identity. I don't like how much the bots have been scaled back.

Whatever you want to call it, I thought it was really good and had a lot of fun with it. It's biggest problem is that it's going up against BF1, so there's no way I'll be getting it at launch.

At least on PC you should be able to play for a bit and ask for a refund if you aren't impressed.

The Fall calendar is way too stacked for me to get it on anything but a sale.

Thanks for reminding me about that actually. Yeah, I'll get this eventually, but not at full price sadly. BF1 is gonna be my shooter most likely.

Izuna

Banned
R2 being more CoD like is a shame. The USP didn't get built upon so I feel a lot of casuals will feel the exact same way about this game, meanwhile, the vets will have nothing that feels fresh.

I think about how I want R2 to give me experiences R1 gave me.

- "I can't wait to goose again."
- "I want to dominate in Attrition."
- "I want to feel the power of 40mm."
- "I want to quickly traverse the map."

I don't think any of those things will be better than they were in R1. All I have to look for in this game is that it will be as if R1 suddenly had a lot of people playing it again, while I hope it's as similar as possible.

I'll like this, and I appreciate its existence, but I really hope that if R3 ever exists... it would expand be a real sequel and expand upon the experience, instead of steering so far the wrong the direction and attempt to correct its course.

I can't really think of many things that are improved, that in a perfect world I wouldn't just want R1 to somehow be released today and have a longer lasting fanbase.

Neolombax

Can somebody please explain to me how Bounty Hunt is different from Attrition?

I've never played the OG Titanfall. Thanks.

Rocketz

Can somebody please explain to me how Bounty Hunt is different from Attrition?

I've never played the OG Titanfall. Thanks.

Attrition it was just a point based system that you earned in match shooting grunts, players, titans until someone reached the cap.

Bounty Hunt is a mode that has waves that comes in that you earn cash by destroying them along with other pilots, titans, etc. This cash has to be deposited at the end of each round and if you die you lose some.

It's like a mix of a Horde mode and Attrition.

Blueblur1

I'm reading all of this and makes me think that TF2 could be a great game six months after launch once they address all of the issues.

I might just wait. The game will be cheaper by then too.

Falchion

Amping is a massive benefit. I couldn't help but do the thing that benefited the team the most even if it was dull. Just a horrible design.

I would always go to an enemy controlled flag and take it and then camp waiting for them to try to take it back before sneak attacking them with C4. It was great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Last Titan Standing... the mode where you have to run around chasing batteries instead of playing cat and mouse with other players.

Top Bottom