• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders demo out now

Haines

Banned
Cool game

Felt like mine craft with actual game in it

Too much writing tho wow

Frame rate felt off

Building felt like a chore sometimes. Didn't feel intuitive enough.

Again. Cool game for sure.

It looks really great, I wouldn't mind picking it up for a tinker over Xmas. The button layout feels off to me, but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

Looks like it could be fun. Demo wasn't all that interesting, but it as least gives an idea of how it plays. I would actually play minecraft it had more of this game's look and gameplay

def sim

Personally looking forward to seeing how a well-established studio with a large amount of resources can handle the genre. I don't think we have a single "builder" game from one. It feels like a bit of an untapped space. Minecraft doesn't really count, as it's still just Mojang working on the main version.

Ah right, sure. I'm guessing much of that will be the hand crafted dungeons and story/dialog. It sounds like it may be substantial.

TI82

Banned
Just got to the end of the demo, Rollo is such a weirdo.

Anyway yeah this game is sweeeeeeeet though I hope there's more freedom in the full game and this was just a tutorial

Dragoshi1

Hold L1+R1 to lock your block placing to your current level, same with just L1 or R1, locks it a block high/low respectively.

And how the HELL do we kill the Dragon? Smacked it for 1 damage, and it tail spun and got me to the red in one hit.

TI82

Banned
Hold L1+R1 to lock your block placing to your current level, same with just L1 or R1, locks it a block high/low respectively.

And how the HELL do we kill the Dragon? Smacked it for 1 damage, and it tail spun and got me to the red in one hit.

Didn't see a dragon but did fight some trees. Thought it was funny that it said I would learn nww recipes immediately after picking up new things but the grass near the trees didn't give me new recipes... Lol

BiggNife

I am weirdly interested in giving this a shot despite not being a huge fan of DQ or Minecraft. I'll download this tonight.

I'm surprised at how long this demo is. I'm enjoying it right now and will probably buy it on release. I liked Mine craft for a couple days, but it had no direction and I'm the kinda player you needs objectives and such to keep myself going for a while. Especially at the beginning.

OmegaFax

I'm not sure this was posted before. They replaced the cross with a different symbol. It's consistent with the symbol that appears in Dragon Quest VII on the 3DS (in both Japan and the US).

CtX87VtWEAEf0z1.jpg

CtX83LzXEAACFqs.jpg

Ferr986

WTF? The demo doesn't save progress?

I finished it earlier and wanted to keep improving the village but now it put me back to the start.

EDIT: Oh I know..... Fuck my life, forgot to save in that flag....

Eusis

I'm not sure this was posted before. They replaced the cross with a different symbol. It's consistent with the symbol that appears in Dragon Quest VII on the 3DS (in both Japan and the US).
It's probably better to go with a distinct symbol anyway given the history shouldn't really even exist for that as a holy symbol in the game's setting unless they really flesh out the faiths and why it may be relevant, but I still kinda hate how they change that stuff anyway.

Anyways, definitely liking the demo so far! I do wonder if it can hook some of the Minecraft crowd, probably not a significant chunk though and honestly I imagine a lot of them would be annoyed by the tutorials anyway.

anddo0

Oh what The Tomorrow Children could've been :(

The tutorial was slow as hell, couldn't take one step without a prompt. But after that the potential shined through.

I could see myself getting this on Vita.. Cross buy?

Begaria

They've been using that particular symbol for a long time in non-Japanese versions of Dragon Quest rather than crosses.

Eusis

They've been using that particular symbol for a long time in non-Japanese versions of Dragon Quest rather than crosses.
Actually, as I recall they changed it in DQVIII (my guess is probably the merger and the Square side being more conscientious of localization, though maybe it was general global awareness) and it was changed again for IX though that one wasn't reused outside of it except maybe X (and I'm not sure about that.) I think this is the first instance of them actually changing it since the NES days.

Fun, but these controls stink. I'd love another option.

I'd get used to them but would love other options.

Got to making pots. Not sure what else I'm supposed to be doing or if I need to make a certain amount of them to progress further now.

But it's a great game by the looks. Like the RPG element that makes it more than just a Minecraft clone.

Camisado

Had a great time with it, felt like it was just starting to open up to me and then it was over. There was a loooooot of dialogue, but I guess it's got a lot to teach you as well.

Can't wait for the full game now :)

*facepalm* I don't understand why stuff like this needs to be done.

"Because they don't want to offend so and so person"...

What I don't understand is how is the presence of a cross, even if it is meant to symbolize Catholicism, offensive to anyone?? It's a part of the game's universe, if you don't like it, then maybe the game isn't for them. No one would tell film makers to remove a Cross from a feature film.

Loving it as I'm playing it. Damn, I wish I could get my son in on this for co-op. He loves minecraft and it's not driven enough of a game that I can play for long. I like these quests and monsters. Very well done.

Got to making pots. Not sure what else I'm supposed to be doing or if I need to make a certain amount of them to progress further now.

You just have to place a few of them in the rooms you've built. Every item you place in a room increases your score, which in turn brings you one step closer to "leveling up" your town. I think I had to place like 6+ pots to level up mine.

I want to say they felt a bit better in the japanese version, which rings true because they probably would have the x and o switched and jumping with x is a little more natural but yea, they take a little getting used to.

That would be wayyy more natural to me. I can't help but jump with X. Lol

Begaria

Actually, as I recall they changed it in DQVIII (my guess is probably the merger and the Square side being more conscientious of localization, though maybe it was general global awareness) and it was changed again for IX though that one wasn't reused outside of it except maybe X (and I'm not sure about that.) I think this is the first instance of them actually changing it since the NES days.

Yeah, that new symbol crops up quite a bit in DQ8. They also used that newer symbol in the DQ4/5/6 DS remakes (also ported over to mobile).

*facepalm* I don't understand why stuff like this needs to be done.

"Because they don't want to offend so and so person"...

What I don't understand is how is the presence of a cross, even if it is meant to symbolize Catholicism, offensive to anyone?? It's a part of the game's universe, if you don't like it, then maybe the game isn't for them. No one would tell film makers to remove a Cross from a feature film.

Like I said, that particular symbol has been used before in Dragon Quest. For example, DQVIII:

hqdefault.jpg

The priest's hat has that symbol. There's also an accessory called the Gold Rosary that uses the symbol, as well as that symbol being plastered all around in the churches.

DQ 7 Remake on 3DS:

Shikoba

I don't know what it is about the DQ chimes and music, but any time I start a new DQ game I just get giddy hearing them :3 Can't wait for this to release.

bede-x

The tutorial is a little slow, the controls a little weird and the framerate is often in that annoying spot a little below 60, but I'm totally sold on this. It's incredibly charming and feels fun and relaxing to run around in. Day one.

Kremzeek

This is so cool! I like Minecraft and love Dragon Quest, so finding out that this game has so much polish and fun is really a sweet combination.

If you have any familiarity with the DQ series, you need to play this.

Thanks, the worlds are same size?

Haha that's a good question. I can say I haven't noticed any difference, but don't take that as a definitive. I don't think the engine is ta ing the system though, so I don't think they've cut it down. Again, not that I've noticed, but can't say about later in the game, or if I've missed something in that regard. They seem identical though.

Is this accessible to someone who knows dragon quest but has zero experience with Minecraft?

I definitely don't see why not :) it's very guided at the beginning, and it's a more structured experience in the first place. No survival elements either.

Unknown?

Damn this is a good game, I'm totally addicted!!! Can't stop! This is way more fun than Minecraft. Minecraft is a 10/10 crafting simulator in a 5/10 game.

You just have to place a few of them in the rooms you've built. Every item you place in a room increases your score, which in turn brings you one step closer to "leveling up" your town. I think I had to place like 6+ pots to level up mine.

Brill thanks. Needed the same.

Finished it now. Might have a little bit more play building but save it for the full game.

Top Bottom