• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90 days to Mars. What games would you bring to spend the time with?

_Ryo_

Wait. Does optical media even work in space. Would the disc spin correctly in zero G?

If so I'll just bring my PS2 and collection.

JBwB

Witcher 1 - 3
KOTOR 1 & 2
Final Fantasy 6 - 12

8-10 hours a day for 90 days and you'd easily be able to finish the games listed here.

TheSun

Probably Civ V
Maybe in those 90 days I'll eventually get a victory for once. Or at least I'll be brave enough to bump the difficulty level to warlord.
I suck at Civ V

Civilization (PC), some board games and definitely something like Destiny. Something that has a lot of deep playtime.

In addition, I'd have to have a romantic partner with me. I could not go that long without sexual playtime. Wife, GF, bunk-buddy... something.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Holy shit at the lag with online gaming.

Technically speaking, your ping would start at around 100ms or so within a few minutes of launching and increase to around 1560000ms by the time you reached Mars.

Turn-based online games would be totally feasible during the trip, as long as you don't mind waiting about half an hour between turns.

jacobeid

Banned
Shovel Knight
Mega Man 2, 3, and 9
Mega Man X and X6
Resogun
Super Metroid
Hyper Light Drifter
Spelunky
Tetris

Gameplay is king in situations like this.

RevenWolf

I will limit my choices to 5 games:

- Witcher 3 (so massive that it'll kill plenty of time and the story is really good, hardly scratched the surface yet)

-dark souls 2 ( no other souls game has as much content, replayability, and viable builds)

- civ V (just...one..more...turn...)

- KOTOR 2 (my favourite of the two replaying it right now actually l

- morrowind (I can deal with jank to play the best of the scroll games)

PSqueak

Banned
No limit to the number of games?

PC:
Civilization 3
Doom
(if other passengers)
Risk 2
Castle Crashers

Snes:
Super Mario All stars + World
Megaman X
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy 6
Harvest Moon
Donkey Kong Country 2
(if other passengers)
Super Street Fighter 2
Rock and Roll Racing

N64:
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of time
(if other passengers)
Super Smash Bros
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Goldeneye 007

PSX:
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Crash Team Racing
Final Fantasy 9
Rival Schools
Final Fantasy Tactics

There are more, but im pretty sure just these would cover me for more than 90 days.

Rocketz

Forza Horizon 3 since I just started it and it's got a ton to do.
Dark Souls 3
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2
Cities Skylines - I've yet to actually play this since I'm waiting on the console port but I know I'm going to love it.

KOHIPEET

Halo 1, GTA V, Minecraft and perhaps Conquest: Frontier wars. Also Imperium Galactica 2

I would bring EVE online, but that wouldn't work without internet so..

The Witcher 3, if I only get to bring one game.

Otherwise Civ V and other time consuming strategy games that could last multiple runs. Might actually try to figure out Crusader Kings 2 during the trip.

Final Fantasy XV (It's almost out)
The Last Guardian (Same)
Star Wars Battlefront (I'll play with Bots and a friend)
Final Fantasy VI, VIII, IX, and XII (Still need to play these)
The Witcher 3 (want to play this too)
Persona 2 (same)
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (same)

I think that's way too much game for 90 days, but options are nice. I pretty much just listed games I want to play but have no time to sink into.

data

If I were to go on one tomorrow, I'd pick these 5.

Civilization V

Rimworld

Stardew Valley

Paint it Back

The Witcher 3.

Fbh

Some RPG's for sure.
FFXV and Persona 5 if they are available before we leave.

And then some local multiplayer stuff. Some sports games (Fifa, NBA) , some fighting games (Mortal Kombat X and Street Fighter V) and some indies (Nidhogg and Lethal Legue) which would be fun to play with other crewmembers

Finally, probably some strategy game like CIV. One of those games that never really end, where you can start a new campaign at any time

*Splinter

Assuming no internet, I can't think of any game that'd put a meaningful dent in a 90 day trip :/

I guess I'd have to try some WRPGs, embrace the open world bloat.

Surprised no joker has said No Man's Sky :p

Well, assuming that at least 6 hours every day will be relegated to shipboard activities, and 8 or so will be spent sleeping, all I'd really need are a 3DS loaded up with a fuckton of games (and, like, a 256gb SD card) and what's on my Steam Account. Proviso would be that everyone gets the 3DS as well (or NX as the case may be since it's THE FUTURE) for local multiplayer action.

Would help cree morale too. I'm thinking Monster Hunter?

Sande

I'd bring my laptop and PS4 with as many games as they can fit. Also, every physical PS4 game I have. If there's internet access, then there's really no need to even decide what to bring.

What I'd mostly play (probably):

The Witcher 3
Bioshock Collection
FTL
Mount & Blade Warband

Heck, M&B alone could probably get me through 90 days.

*Splinter

Assuming no internet, I can't think of any game that'd put a meaningful dent in a 90 day trip :/

I guess I'd have to try some WRPGs, embrace the open world bloat.

Surprised no joker has said No Man's Sky :p
Oh scratch that. Guitar Hero should cover it (or better yet use the time to learn guitar for real)

cyen

No Man's Sky. I have to visit all the quintillion stars im seeing from my spacecraft window.

Edit: late joke i guess

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Would definitely be games I haven't played yet.

MGS V, The Witcher 3, Mad Max, maybe I would finally play 3D World.

Games I haven't finished yet. Watch Dogs, Infamous Second Son. Some FPS, Terraria and Minecraft.

Basically I would just have variety.

Mario Party.

/it kills friendship. I don't expect any of them to come back alive after this.

Or maybe Mars will only support 1 person and Elon Musk knows this so he throws Mario party in the ship to cause mass chaos and killings so in turn that one person turns into Matt Damon
The Martian is real 👀

I'd just take RPGs since they last ages and ages, I never finished skies of Arcadia (only made it to the first boss before getting destroyed lol) so I can finally play it
Xenoblade games too
I'm ready Elon, let me go to Mars bro

80-90 days is what Elon Musk say they aim for their interplanetary travel to Mars.
That is both long and quick, depending how you see on it.
What games would you bring to make the voyage more pleasant, keeping your sanity? And lasts for the journey
Not discussing education, books or movies here, just games. Available today or released soon.

Would it be a nostalgic trip, working on your backlog or a mix of games giving you maybe open world to compensate the cramped living quarters on the ship?

I would say all Resident Evil games from 0 to 6. And also some Dead Space. But more than that, I would be sure to bring some hookers.

Jacknapes

I'd be presuming there would be no internet, in which case i'd bring 3 games with me. Witcher 3 (with all it's content). Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Top Bottom