• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help Me GAF Before I Throw My Rig Against a Wall

Salutations fellow Gaffers,

As you know I recently built a "beast" rig that has been pretty damn amazing but I have having a problem that is driving me up the freaking wall. Every game I'm playing crashes at some point and all I have to go by is this fucking message "application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware".

Doesn't matter if its Assassins Creed, DOTA2, FFXIV (DX11 version like CRAZY), or the Witcher 3. The game just crashes then I get the damn Windows 10 message in the bottom right. I have done every single thing I can think of. Tried compatibility mode/permissions on the applications. Tried reinstalling DX and its many different versions. Tried clean installing drivers to graphics after removing them entirely.
I don't know what else to do at this point but it is driving me crazy. DOTA2 crashed twice mid game at very inopportune moments .

At first I thought they were regular crashes then I noticed that damn message notification on the bottom right and saw all my games were flagged with it at some point.
There seems to be no real answer to this issue, regardless of Youtube or Reddit posts of multiple people complaining about it.

Ideas?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/27/2016, 19:55:44
Machine name: DESKTOP-POPA57R
Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.160906-1818)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: 1902
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16304MB RAM
Page File: 2983MB used, 15753MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.14393.0000 64bit Unicode

Meowtor

Gold Member
No idea if this belongs in this area, but do you have windows firewall running? If so, try disabling it and see if that changes anything. I've been seeing some weird stuff lately with win10.

hymanator

I was in a similar situation where games and apps would randomly crash. I had no idea what to do to fix the issue, but eventually I found advice online to check out the "Event Viewer" in Windows. I never looked at this before, but it was able to help me narrow down the issue to a program/process that had a memory leak.

Just go into your Windows settings and search for "Event Viewer". Once you launch the tool, click on "Windows Logs" and then "Application". From there you can see time stamps of every error on your machine. Try to find a time stamp from when your last crash happened and you might be able to narrow it down to a specific program or process.

event-viewer.png

telasoman

Sounds like an old Windows 7 issue I had with a Nvidia card that was bad. It would lose connection to the card and crash the game.

What video card do you have?

modsbox

You should try variants of your hardware configuration and see if anything changes. First thing is put your graphics card in a different slot and/or re-seat it and try again. I'd guess your PCI slot is wonky or the card is.

I was in a similar situation where games and apps would randomly crash. I had no idea what to do to fix the issue, but eventually I found advice online to check out the "Event Viewer" in Windows. I never looked at this before, but it was able to help me narrow down the issue to a program/process that had a memory leak.

Just go into your Windows settings and search for "Event Viewer". Once you launch the tool, click on "Windows Logs" and then "Application". From there you can see time stamps of every error on your machine. Try to find a time stamp from when your last crash happened and you might be able to narrow it down to a specific program or process.

event-viewer.png

You beautiful man. Looks like my motherboard is having an issue here:
Faulting application name: ATKEX_cmd.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.187, time stamp: 0x57cf98b1
Exception code: 0x0eedfade
Fault offset: 0x000d96c2
Faulting process id: 0x189c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2191927987cad
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\ATKEX_cmd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 27d1ad68-f661-4174-87e9-175453d6f00b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

All the issues line up with that, and apparently there's an install from Asus I can use.
Thank you, hoping this works.

Corpekata

Banned
Something that sort of jumps at me is Windows 10 Enterprise. Are you in IT or did you get a key cheap from somewhere?

Top Bottom