• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've never understood the mentality of people who snap discs or break controllers

So from reading GAF this seems to be a semi common occurrence yet I've never understood it and always found it an immature emotional reaction. I mean why the hell would you destroy something? are you really getting that mad about anything especially games? It's not normal behaviour at all right?

My buddies brother recently snapped 2 or 3 keyboard playing football manager? I can't even comprehend being that mad at anything let alone football manager.

Even done it GAF?

Can anyone offer an explanation that isn't "I've got serious anger problems"

How do the breakers cope with actually problems?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've thrown some controllers in my day but honestly I'm long since past those times.

Gaspard

The most i've done is toss a controller on the couch.

My brother punched a hole through his wall playing League, but he was playing for 7+ hours so he must've gotten tense just sitting there.

adge_uk

Banned
I smashed a controller into many pieces on my floor playing Sled Storm 2 on PS2.

Rubber band racing. Long long race. In the lead the whole way. Clipped some scencery on final corner. Zoom zoom zoom go the other contestants. Announcer shouts "YOU LOSE!". Controller hits floor with epic impact.

The only time I've ever done it though.

I think the most angry thing I made was to turn the console off like when you got kicked off an mmo for conectivity issues, but from the pad, I wouldn't break my stuff (or anyone else) because loosing in a game.

My boss hits her laptop every time her computer get stuck or freeze, or even if the internet is slow, it had the trackpad all smashed, I'm pretty sure that was her loosing her patience.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
I'm nearly 40 years old now, but back when I was a kid I remember getting mad at my NES and chucking a controller. It subsequently struck the window in my room and shattered it. My mom had my ass for that one and rightfully so. Learned a real lesson that day.

Soulflarz

Banned
Never sworn at a game even.

I dunno, getting angry at a game seems silly to me, but people are diff~
I don't spaz "OH MY GOD" like you see when people do well either, at most I went "did you see that? That was ridiculous!"

Alienous

If I had money to waste I could break the disc of a game I hate, but I'll take the £2-£3 for trading it in instead.

Vibed

I've never broken a controller or anything, but I have totally thrown stuff and tried to take out my anger on it, without going too far and damaging anything.

It's an emotional reaction. Sometimes someone has a shitty day or is in an irritable mood and losing or playing a broken game just makes the irritation worse. Saying it's just a game while true doesn't mitigate general anger. If it doesn't harm anyone I say let them break all the controllers they want if it's a satisfying release.

Alienous

I've gotten so annoyed I've deleted a game in the middle of playing it, and never again installed it, and breaking a disc seems one step removed from that.

I couldn't throw and break a controller though. I don't take my emotions that seriously.

Never done it, not even as a kid. Gaming stuff was too expensive and I had to be careful with everything. If I broke something, I wouldn't be playing games for another year.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've thrown some controllers in my day but honestly I'm long since past those times.

Same. If a game is pissing me off I just turn it off and play something else and quit playing games that frustrate me. Gaming is my relax time so that she is counterintuitive.

I don't mind hard games. Loved Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. I've just learned to turn them of and try again later if I'm starting to get pissed.

I've tossed a couple in my youth. Just a temper tantrum. I grew out of it.

People have different reactions to different things. If a game got particularly frustrating for me, I'd take out my frustration on my controller.

Never done it, not even as a kid. Gaming stuff was too expensive and I had to be careful with everything.

Same, as a wee lass living in a lower class family I treated my shit with the utmost care, and that's carried over into adulthood. My philosophy has always been if a game's making me aggitated or frustrated then just go do something else for a while and come back later. Never had the urge to violently throw or break anything. Anger so bad that it leads to violently breaking shit should never be left unchecked.

Ninjimbo

I've thrown fits of rage after a few losses in Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter, but I've never messed with anything I remotely consider valuable. The most you'll get from me is screaming into a pillow or punching my bed. Even that is pretty rare.

CAR105 3

Well I never did it when I was child because if I broke a controller out of anger, I would've stopped gaming because my parents wouldn't buy me another controller.

killatopak

Gold Member
I was a poor kid. I would be more mad at myself breaking expensive stuff than being frustrated at a game.

The most I did was punch a cemented wall.

StoveOven

Banned
I can understand a quick surge of anger that causes you to slam a controller on the ground and break it.

But the idea of getting up, hitting the eject button, grabbing the disk, and then snapping it is bizarre to me. I would think that's enough time for somebody to cool down.

Personally I've never done anything of these things, but I have quit games out of frustration.

I also broke a golf club once.

Top Bottom