• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese man caught lying about being a Guilty Gear champion, is publicly shamed

Sounds like a middle school lie that spiraled out of control. I think this guy just got too deep into it and didn't have the guts to admit his lie until he absolutely had to. Even though he lied for attention, I still feel kinda bad for him. I doubt he expected it to go as far as it did.

Pretty much this. Doesn't sound like he deserves all the shit that's being thrown at him.

udivision

Well that's silly and embarrassing

Getting fired over it tho...?

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Stole my joke like 5 seconds before i was going to post it :( But yeah, it does sound like either a saturday morning cartoon or an old sitcom where they would would all sit around the house and the sad full house music would play and the kid would just admit that he tricked the school into thinking he was a big time artist or whatever just because he wanted people to like him and then the parent would give a speech and the fake audience would be like "awww"

Inuhanyou

Why would his employer care though?

Cause it propped up their work place and made everyone talk about them, if he lied to that point, it probably embarrassed a lot of people if it made it to national headlines, and may somehow refrlect badly on his place of business

Remk

I'm not an expert on Japanese culture but there is nothing left for the guy but to commit sudoku, right?

Inuhanyou

When Tantei Watch got a hold of Ito and asked him to share more details, Ito said that he knew about what’s been happening online, but he still maintained that he did indeed go overseas to participate in a tournament, but had no way to prove it because the info was only available to the officials of the tournament. He also stated that you wouldn’t find any information on this tournament, because it wasn’t actually a major one, but a small tourney that takes place on a weekly basis with about as many participants you’d see at regular arcade tournaments in Japan.

Ito went on to say that this tournament isn’t related with the regular Stunfest, and it wasn’t one that featured the best players but amateurs, and blamed the newspapers for making it into a bigger deal.

uhh.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Looks like they're not extending his contract at the end of this month.
市幹部によると、男性は9月末で契約満期を迎えることから、虚偽発言について処分せず、契約を更新しない方針。

Mentok

Banned
Pfft, of course he's lying about being the champion of that tournament. I should know.....because I am the champion of that tournament......

Seriously though, as funny as the story is, sucks that he's losing his job over this.

EDIT:

I'm not an expert on Japanese culture but there is nothing left for the guy but to commit sudoku, right?

Made me laugh to tears, 10/10.

Why lie about something so easy to look up.

Reminds me of the Archer arguement where he was trying to make his cover the #2 Kite surfer in the world and Lana kept telling how stupid it was since a simple internet search would say hes lying.

Why would his employer care though?
Because Japan.

Take their relationships with their companies more serious than their own damn families when shit happens sadly.

Heck one of my friends drank to much and had to be taken to the hospital last month. Literally one of the first questions the cops ask "where do you work?" Like it fucking matters at 4am and hes puking past out all over the street. Once he woke up he refused to tell them lol (he was weirdly smart about that) but instead of asking where do you live, is there someone we can call, they asked where he worked. The office/employer is one of the first people called when stuff goes down weirdly.

In this case as well though it was an embarrassment for the office and the news reporting it. Still, not a big deal imo.

Inuhanyou

Yeah he should totally have to deal with number puzzles.

76-F-Epi-087.jpg

fucking dead

Yeah, I feel bad for him. It was a dumb lie but a harmless one. He didn't lie about being a war hero or earthquake rescue worker. He didn't steal anyone's valor. He's essentially getting disciplined because of terrible journalists not doing even minimal fact checking. What they did is far worse than what he did.

All that being said, this really does sound like something out of a zany anime.

keuja

I don't think they should fire him. Instead they should make it mandatory for him to train harder at the game and actually compete at Stunfest next year. Out of his own pocket of course. Give him a chance to prove his worth!

Sounds like the perfect start for a Shonen Manga. He then proceeds to win the Stunfest and go to Evo to fight against the next tier of pro gamers.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I feel sorry for him because Japan can be rather unforgiving when it comes to scandal.

That's why I feel bad about this. Japan already has a rather unbalanced work culture going for it, being exposed for a lie like this on such a big scale could actually have extreme effects on his ability to provide for himself and others.

And this isn't me talking as the "I'm an expert" meme, just from what I know from a few friends I talk to who live/lived in Japan. That's not to say it will go down like this, but from my understanding it could make things very difficult for him over a white lie. It is his fault but the repercussions I worry might be a bit extreme if this does play out like a scandal in the eyes of business hires.

Tuck

Sounds like a middle school lie that spiraled out of control. I think this guy just got too deep into it and didn't have the guts to admit his lie until he absolutely had to. Even though he lied for attention, I still feel kinda bad for him. I doubt he expected it to go as far as it did.

Basically this.

Does someone deserve that much for a lie like that? I don't think so.

Dylan

Reminds me of that story where the woman claimed she was a virgin but got knocked up and told everyone her baby was the son of god and then hundreds of years later we got Mike Huckabee.

And it wont end there with him being shamed.

I dont know if you all know anything about Japanese culture, but it doesnt stop there when you are caught lying. All I'll say is that he needs to probably move from Japan now...

I didn't know we had multiple experts on Japanese culture. Thought there was only one.

joecanada

Reminds me of that story where the woman claimed she was a virgin but got knocked up and told everyone her baby was the son of god and then hundreds of years later we got Mike Huckabee.

Good god lol if you just thought that up damn you maybe should be a comedic writer. Cause that's bizarrely random and hilarious in a good way.

Top Bottom