• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR will pass through 4K but not HDR to your 4KTV

This means you'll have to unplug PSVR and hook the PS4 Pro directly when you want to play anything with HDR. This came up in another thread but people should probably be aware of this small tidbit. This seems like a stupid decision on Sony's part.

Q: Does the Processor Unit support 4K and HDR pass through?
The PS VR Processor Unit (PU) supports video pass through so that you can enjoy regular non-VR content on your TV when you have the PS4 connected to the TV via the PU and the PU is connected to power via the AC adapter and the PS VR headset is not in use. This pass through support works for regular 1080p signals and also supports 2160p (UHD or ‘4K’) content in YUV 420 color format at up to 60 Hz from a PlayStation Pro.
However, HDR signals are not supported for pass through by the PU. This applies to both 1080p and 2160p HDR. If you have a HDR capable TV and want to view PS4 content in HDR, it is necessary to cable the PS4 directly to the TV.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/03/playstation-vr-the-ultimate-faq/

Wag

Wait- so is the PSVR connected in a chain directly to the PS4 Pro? That would certainly be inconvenient.

casnix

No 4K Blu-ray on the Pro and now this? What the shit, Sony? That's incredibly inconvenient.

FHIZ

I asked if we knew this in the PSVR this month thread yesterday under the pretense of "this seems like a dumb thing that would be overlooked"

Are you fucking kidding me?!

Wag

But then you miss out on the social screen and all the reformatting stuff that the breakout box provides when you're using VR.

If the PSVR has to be connected to the PS4 Pro directly, obviously a splitter isn't going to work.

If not, just make sure you have a receiver or splitter with HDMI 2.0a support.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Title is confusing, it's the breakout box, not PSVR.
Correct.
You must unplug from the PU unit and plug directly to TV if you want to view HDR content. As far as we know, there are no HDR VR games nor does the PSVR screen support actual HDR.

FHIZ

im gonna need an illustration to understand all this
Basically, if you want to use a HDR signal without having to rearange cables every time you go from VR to a normal PS4 game, you're going to want to have the HDMI coming out of your console go to a compatible switcher then one to the TV for regular games then another to the VR breakout box.

Then you're going to be using two different inputs on your TV... holy fuck this is dumb.

N30RYU

This. I have no idea what I'm reading.

if you are not using the PSVR headset you don't need to unplug everything to play non VR games on your TV... but if you have a HDR TV you need to unplug the HDMi from the VR process unit and conect it directly to the TV.

I think this can be solved by a split HDMi cable, and change the HDMi signal from direct/VR PU if you play HDR games.
51mkkSsqZjL._SL1100_.jpg

Leemo

If the PSVR has to be connected to the PS4 Pro directly, obviously a splitter isn't going to work.

If not, just make sure you have a receiver or splitter with HDMI 2.0a support.

You won't be able to use a splitter with the signal coming straight out of the PlayStation when using PSVR stuff. It'll be stretched and not formatted for the TV.

Guymelef

But then you miss out on the social screen and all the reformatting stuff that the breakout box provides when you're using VR.

You are talking about something different.

You won't be able to use a splitter with the signal coming straight out of the PlayStation when using PSVR stuff. It'll be stretched and not formatted for the TV.

Read the op again, this is not for VR content, it's for normal content throug PS VR box.

Vuze

Wow, that's just stupid. A second HDMI out on the Pro could have easily solved this, no?
If that's the case, it's kinda insane how they are cheaping out on the ""Pro""sumer console model. No UHD Bluray, more inconvenience for the hardcore customers who are likely to buy your accessoire.

Reallink

This is total garbage. Sony better be working on an updated version of the breakout box.

Yea, so all the people who shelled out $500 can shell out another $100+ for a redundant box that fixes an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Elandyll

Banned
It won't matter for PSVR users who have a 1080p TV, but I imagine that for those who are getting a PS4Pro and PSVR in order to get the most out of the new PS hardware, there might be some challenging cases when trying to enjoy a game with HDR.

It'll come down to either No HDR, having a splitter (you can still have a social screen, youd just have to switch HDMI input on TV for it. Eg TV on input 1, PS4pro on Input 2, PSVR social screen on Input 3. Logitech Harmony ftw) or doing some unplugging depending on situation.

Obviously option 2 if you find a good splitter is probably preferable.

Oh and yes this is a silly issue that shouldn't exist)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Kaako said:
there are no HDR VR games
Can we NOT conflate wide-color-gamut of a display with dynamic range of the rendered images when discussing software? Virtually every console game for past decade has supported HDR, and VR games aren't any exception.
The screen tech catching up doesn't suddenly reset a decade of software progress.

farisr

WTF?

So a regular PS4 that came out 3 years ago can output an HDR signal, yet something part of a new hardware release, can't? So flipping stupid.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That's certainly gonna be a pain in the tits

Leemo

You are talking about something different.

Read the op again, this is not for VR content, it's for normal content throug PS VR box.

No I completely get that. I think I'd misunderstood at what part of the chain someone was putting a splitter in... ;-)

Yea, so all the people who shelled out $500 can shell out another $100+ for a redundant box that fixes an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place.

No, so at some point new PSVR buyers get a box capable of HDR passthrough. And I doubt the box would be anywhere near $100.

Can we NOT conflate wide-color-gamut of a display with dynamic range of the rendered images when discussing software? Virtually every console game for past decade has supported HDR, and VR games aren't any exception.
The screen tech catching up doesn't suddenly reset a decade of software progress.

no, they haven't.

deus ex for example literally just had to patch in HDR support for PS4/XB1S

I think this can be solved by a split HDMi cable, and change the HDMi signal from direct/VR PU if you play HDR games.

A splitter introduces a new annoyance though in the fact that your PS4 is going to be connected to two different inputs and you'll have to pick the appropriate input accordingly. Also, you'll need to calibrate both and you better hope that your TV allows Game mode on both of those inputs as well. A splitter may or may not be a working solution depending on your TV and it's certainly a huge headache for a terrible oversight by Sony.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Garrett Hawke said:
no, they haven't.
Yes they have.

All the so called "HDR"-patches do is add support for video-output to one of the competing(or both) 'HDR' standards. Underlying HDR data has been there all along.

dubq

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but.. does this only matter for other people in the room watching you game? Why would I care about feeding anything through to my TV from the PSVR in any other case?

I'm surprised by how upset people are about this... is it really that big of a deal to change the hdmi cable from the back of the ps4 to the breakout box? And if it is a big issue, why not just buy a $20 splitter. I mean I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying this is a huge oversight or garbage or whatever. It only takes as much effort as putting a disk into the system doesn't it? In the worst case, if you have your console tucked into a cabinet, you could just get a small hdmi extension so that you don't have to reach around or turn the console around. Sure it's inconvenient, but it's not that much of a game changer in the long run.

Top Bottom