• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 fires up UK chart, launch sales up nearly 60% on Mafia 2

Mafia 3 has scored a huge opening week in the UK charts, with sales up 58.7 per cent on Mafia 2.

The open world crime threequel earned its series' largest opening week - by far - although it still had to settle for second place behind FIFA 17.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-10-mafia-3-fires-up-uk-chart-launch-sales-up-nearly-60-percent-on-predecessor

A comparison on past entry sales thanks to Bruno from the pal thread

Mafia Series UK Sales Data:

Code:
[Week 36, 2002] 06 (NE) MAFIA (TAKE 2) - 22,000 / NEW*
[Week 34, 2010] 01 (NE) MAFIA II (TAKE 2) - 75,000 / NEW
[Week 40, 2016] [B]02 (NE) MAFIA III (TAKE 2) - 119,000 / NEW[/B]

*This is the combined launch week total of the PC [Week 36, 2002], PS2 [Week 05, 2004] and Xbox [Week 15, 2004] versions.

Thanks to Bruno from the pal thread

Mafia Series UK Sales Data:

Code:
[Week 36, 2002] 06 (NE) MAFIA (TAKE 2) - 22,000 / NEW*
[Week 34, 2010] 01 (NE) MAFIA II (TAKE 2) - 75,000 / NEW
[Week 40, 2016] [B]02 (NE) MAFIA III (TAKE 2) - 119,000 / NEW[/B]

*This is the combined launch week total of the PC [Week 36, 2002], PS2 [Week 05, 2004] and Xbox [Week 15, 2004] versions.

Even though the game is repetitive as hell I hope it sells plentifully because I need them to make a sequel with this awesome gunplay and driving but no tedium.

2010 news article...

Mafia II has taken over from Kane & Lynch 2 at the top of the UK Charts.

According to chart compiler GfK Chart-Track, it's the biggest UK game launch since Red Dead Redemption, which must be music to the ears of 2K - especially since RDR was one of mother-publisher Take-Two's, albeit as part of the Rockstar label.

The Xbox 360 version did 52 per cent of the business in Mafia II's first week, while PS3 was responsible for 41 per cent of sales and PC just seven per cent.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-31-uk-charts-mafia-ii-takes-top-spot

Depressing considering how great 2 was and how repetitive and buggy it seems 3 is.

If you haven't played Mafia 2, head over to Steam now and show this underrated gem some love.

Bruno MB

Mafia III didn't have a bad launch at all but I feel it will be much frontloaded, reviews are pretty average and I don't think word of mouth will help much.

Mafia II had a good second week hold where sales only dropped by 23%, so by its second week cumulative sales of Mafia III will probably not be much ahead of its predecessor.

Mafia II sold about 6 million units worldwide.

Code:
[B][Week 40, 2016] 02 (NE) MAFIA III (TAKE 2) - 119,000 / NEW[/B]

Code:
[B][Week 34, 2010] 01 (NE) MAFIA II (TAKE 2) - 75,000 / NEW[/B]
[Week 35, 2010] 01 (01) MAFIA II (TAKE 2) - 57,800 / 132,800 (-23%)
[Week 36, 2010] 01 (01) MAFIA II (TAKE 2) - 24,300 / 157,100 (-58%)
[Week 37, 2010] 03 (01) MAFIA II (TAKE 2) - 12,900 / 170,000 (-47%)
[Week 38, 2010] 08 (03) MAFIA II (TAKE 2) -  8,600 / 178,600 (-33%)

SgtCobra

Mafia III didn't have a bad launch at all but I feel it will be much frontloaded, reviews are pretty average and I don't think word of mouth will help much.
Agreed, the bad word of mouth will definitely damage the games' sales as long as it still has all those issues.

Alienous

Well this seems good. On the one hand it shows Take-Two that there are IP other than sports games and Rockstar games that can work for them, and on the other hand when the sales inevitably fall off a cliff they'll have nowhere to look but at the quality of the game.

Rellik

Good. I hope it's as successful worldwide because I'm a huge fan of the series and don't want another huge break between games.

Memory

Games awesome, I'm glad its selling well. Maybe this will motivate more dev's to put some research and respect into minority representation in games.

NHale

Deus Ex: MD did ~50k in 2 weeks with great reviews and after a game that was very well received (Deus Ex: HR).

This did 120k in 1 week without reviews and coming from a very divisive prequel Mafia II. Which might be an outlier or a sign of things that need to be analyzed.

If I had to guess to the mainstream, numbers in games matter a lot unless you are a big AAA game. I have seen people at retail asking if Deus Ex: MD is a remaster of the Deus Ex: HR to PS4/XB1 because of the actual cover. Ooops....

So tales from my ass to try to make sense out of this:

1 - Lack of reviews matter because you have to rely on sketchy opinions of youtube "trend makers"....
2 - The setting of the game and open world structure resonate a lot with consumers.
3 - Mafia is a brand that sells more easily because of the name.
4 - Launching in October is better than August despite previous success of other games.
5 - Deus Ex: MD launched in the UK/US around games that target the mainstream (F1 2016 in EU and Madden in US).
6 - The E3 demo hyped a lot of people because the game actually showed very well in live demos and impressions from enthusiastic media was very good. Maybe that impression made a lasting impression.
7 - Adverstising. 2K/Take 2 had TV ads in the middle of Premier League games which is a good way to target the mainstream videogame buying crowd.

Quite frankly I don't know how to explain this but it's great to see games performing well even if the good isn't very good (haven't played it so far but it's in my "price drop" list because at least they do stuff that make me intrigued in trying to play it).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In isolation this isn't a bad result, though I felt Take-Two was hoping for this to be their biggest game this year, which it's not going to top up NBA by a long shot.

They also spent six years getting this out the door and a lot of that was with a very expensive studio.

It's also unlikely to beat Civilization VI's lifetime sales or profitability.

Zukkoyaki

Good to see! It's really a good game despite some pretty notable flaws. You can tell a lot of heart and effort went into it.

Looking forward to whatever Hangar 13 does next.

Top Bottom