• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: Nintendo Switch’s Right Joy-Con Offers IR Pointer Functionality

bomblord1

Banned
Looked through 2 pages and did a search didn't see a thread.

Hello again, Nintendo fans clamouring for information on the Switch. It’s not big, but we’ve got a little additional info for you today.

Over the past few days, much discussion has taken place about the Nintendo Switch potentially having a multi-touch screen on its handheld portion. We said in a recent report that we believe games will not be allowed to require touch screen functionality for any game, as all Switch games will be required to be playable while the handheld is in the dock.

With regards to how this will be circumvented, we believe the solution is that touch screen games will be playable on your TV by use of an IR pointer located in the bottom of the right Joy-Con.

Having spoken to sources within Ubisoft, we believe that games which support touch functionality on the handheld will use IR functionality to replicate that ability on the TV.

We believe the handheld, when docked, will switch on two small IR lights similar to the Wii Sensor Bar at the top of the handheld screen, peeking out above the top of the dock. The IR sensor in the right Joy-Con can then be used in much the same way as a Wii Remote pointer. This is designed to be used for touch screen replication, rather than the camera turning and aiming functions Wii Remotes were often used for.

Joycon-IR-Final.jpg

My personal take is... Well it makes a lot of sense. Using an IR pointer to replicate touch functionality where needed would be an elegant and simple work around. Seems like something Nintendo would certainly do. It also explains why all the Switch consoles in the commercial were facing forward.

Full article here http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...ight-joy-con-offers-ir-pointer-functionality/

Obviously switch to locked if old

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Smart idea, but I admit I would have been shocked had Nintendo taken this out. This takes care of any touchscreen functions while docked.

Now, while docked, we also get superior pointer controls for FPS games. Bring on another Metroid Prime!

Zalman

Very cool. Great solution for touch screen heavy games like Mario Maker. Also nice if we can keep pointer controls for future Pikmin/Metroid Prime games.

radcliff

The problem I potentially see with the setup Laura describes is that I don't have a lot of space on the top of my TV stand for anything other than the TV. If I have to put the docking station on the top of the TV stand, it will block part of the screen. It won't fit on the shelves of the TV stand unless I place it horizontally. Well, it will fit vertically, but lifting the tablet from the stand will be awkward as the shelves aren't very tall- just tall enough for a console/cable box/blu ray player, etc.. Again, if I can place the docking station on its side and not have it hinder the IR pointer, then there is no issue. In fact, I would be ecstatic as I loved using IR pointing in games, especially FPSs.

Tadaima

That's nice and all, but the bottom right means no access to shoulder buttons. This setup will be exactly the same as the Wii Remote + Nunchuk, but with (I assume) clicky sticks and no large A button.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Would it need a sensor bar or something? I dunno, seems Nintendo killed IR in 2010.

Current speculation is that the sensor bar is integrated in the tablet, in the upper black bezel. Which would explain also the fact that the tablet is not fully inside the dock.

Regiruler

Current speculation is that the sensor bar is integrated in the tablet, in the upper black bezel. Which would explain also the fact that the tablet is not fully inside the dock.

They could also just make a USB powered one.

Or for shits n'giggles the dock supports ye olde wii bar for some reason.

phanphare

Banned
that's pretty cool

I like that even though it seems Nintendo is making a hard left turn away from the Wii/Wii U stuff they're still continuing everything that worked well with them.

vareon

Two inconvenience if the setup is true is that a) You have to dock the Switch in a way that is easily accessible with the IR pointer and b) Pointer at the bottom of the controller....?

Regiruler

Two inconvenience if the setup is true is that a) You have to dock the Switch in a way that is easily accessible with the IR pointer and b) Pointer at the bottom of the controller....?

Maybe it's not too bad to hold upside-down? IDK.

May also continue support of wiimote. I know people want them to drop support but multiplayer is typically more appealing if a consumer already has controllers, and it should allow for wii VC so we can get back on track with VC support.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Also, that would allow to play IR-pointer using games even on the go.

nin-switch-plane.jpg

Couldn't they just use gyro pointing? Might be less accurate but would be vastly more practical than blocking part of the tv with the system

Tadaima

Couldn't they just use gyro pointing? Might be less accurate but would be vastly more practical than blocking part of the tv with the system

You don't have to block the TV. You could technically place it anywhere, then sync with your TV. It just needs to be visible by the pointer. Obviously though, the most optical angle will be nearby the screen.

I think the idea is that using both provides extra precision. While you can use gyros, there's always the issue of drift, so if you have a fixed point somewhere you can correct it whenever that point is visible.

Of course it remains to be seen if this is true, or if it pans out

ramparter

Banned
They can always release a seperate sensor bar but I believe most would rather use the integrated one.

Anyway it sounds more like speculation at the moment, hope it's the case.

Somnid

If they manage to squeeze in entire Wiimote setup into the Joy-con I will be immensely impressed. The design of these it truly impressive, and isn't getting nearly enough love, but perhaps that's due to the general lack of information.

The one oddity here: if it's at the bottom, then that means it would be used with the stick facing up and the controls close to the palm and the flat edge facing into you hand. It's probably not a huge deal but it seems less comfortable and a tad less usable.

AntMurda

This is consistent with her and Emily's rumors pre-announcement, IIRC.

Can't take anything way from Emily, she scored big on a few rumors. But this specifically mentions a UBI soft developer who likely has connections to Just Dance. So it definitely stands on its own.

You don't have to block the TV. You could technically place it anywhere, then sync with your TV. It just needs to be visible by the pointer. Obviously though, the most optical angle will be nearby the screen.

Still not very practical for me, would probably have to do some furniture rearranging

It's kinda cool how it seems like Nintendo took all 3 of the controllers for their last 3 consoles and just threw them together for this one.

brainpann

If this is true, I guess that means the Switch needs to be positioned in front of the TV and I'm not super keen on that. Hopefully the Switch is bc with the old IR sensor.

Neff

Can't wait to accidentally club someone in the face on the train during a particularly tense Ghirahim fight.

Honestly, nearly everything about this hardware screams ingenious design. It was speculated that the top of the handheld peeking out of the dock could act as a sensor bar but it's nice to see it "confirmed". Much better solution than a standalone sensor bar.

This is a very well thought out piece of hardware. I'm liking everything I hear about it.

maxcriden

Can't take anything way from Emily, she scored big on a few rumors. But this specifically mentions a UBI soft developer who likely has connections to Just Dance. So it definitely stands on its own.

Sorry, not sure I'm following. I'm just saying this is consistent with her and Emily's rumors, and those were substantiated and proven, so I presume these will be also. Any new information on them is only good. I wasn't meaning to denigrate anything, including the existence of this thread. :)

Falchion

That would be a cool way to navigate menus in docked mode, especially if you just have a Netflix app up and don't want to mess with a huge controller.

Top Bottom