• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: Titanfall 2 Release Date Was “Locked a Long Time Ago,” “No Changing It”

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Update (11/2/2016):

Right. Our full chat with Respawn is up now: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/11/02/titanfall-2-interview-drew-mccoy/#/slide/1

Putting this in the first post (if mods can change the title to reflect this?) with some choice excerpts.

PlayStation LifeStyle: You announced that all maps and modes would be free post-launch. So does that mean weapons, Titans, etc., will be paid DLC?

Drew McCoy, Producer: Anything that affects game balance, anything functional, is free. Maps, modes, weapons, anything like that is free. We learned an obvious lesson, but it’s extremely apparent on the last [Titanfall], that when you sell things like maps, you segregate the playerbase in a very unhealthy way. Even though it’s obviously going to leave money on the table, when you buy them, it’s much better for the health of the game and the community to not charge for them.

PSLS: Angel City has been announced as the first DLC map this coming December. What sort of time table do you guys have for other DLC?

Drew: I don’t think we’ve talked about it yet. With multiplayer games now, you kind of have to constantly have a drip-feed of things. You can’t wait five months and do a big drop, so we are planning on fairly regular [releases]. We’ll keep people engaged.

PSLS: What would you say you guys have to compete with other games, like Battlefield 1 and Infinite Warfare this holiday in terms of retaining your player base?

Drew: I feel like Titanfall offers ways for you to play the game [that are] different than any other game, which gives you the opportunity to master things in more ways than one. Case in point, the first game I’m watching, Titanfall players who’ve stuck with the game, they’re doing things that I couldn’t have even dreamt of! But you go watch players of other games, who’ve been out for two or three years, and they’re doing the same things. Maybe they’re chasing a carrot, and making a bar fill up, and leveling up more, but the actual mechanics of their experience, they’re not doing anything different. So I think that’s where our strength lies, it’s a game that lets you play in a bajillion different ways.

Check out the full interview since there's a lot more stuff there. :)

-------------
Hey all,

Some might remember me mentioning that we have another chat with Respawn about Titanfall 2. We ran the first piece from it yesterday where we asked about Titanfall 2's release date.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...elease-date-locked-long-time-ago-no-changing/

PSLS: How satisfied are you with Titanfall 2’s release date? Was EA the decision maker with that, or did you guys have a say in that?

Drew McCoy: I actually don’t know where the decision came from. I just know it was locked in a long time ago and there was no changing it. I’m not really worried about it. We tried not to [worry] really…When you care about what other games are doing, when they’re releasing [, you worry]. At the end of the day, we’re releasing a game that we’re happy with, and we enjoy playing, that we’re proud of. As long as we’re doing that, I think we’re gonna find an audience. It doesn’t really matter when it comes out. A good game gets noticed.

We'll be running the entire thing early next week. We also asked about DLC, single-player (since it was excellent) and time table for DLC, etc. :)

Chris1

I agree a good game gets noticed whenever in most cases, obviously some exceptions.

Honestly I don't think the release date was bad in itself, imo the tech test done more damage than the release date would have done

LowSignal

They made a deal with pizza rolls, chips, soda and such to so maybe the promo materials locked them into the date? Either way so far im happy with the content so far.

KodaRuss

Seriously, Fuck EA. There is no excuse for this. The people who made this decision should be fired.

Every thread about Titanfall 2 has multiple people wondering and asking the same question.

Madness

EA is a dumb company, who would have known...

It would've been smart for them to cannibalize sales of CoD by having TF2 and BF1 this holiday. But TitanFall 2 got 1/10th the promotion of BF1 especially after Dice coming off of strong Battlefront sales.

TitanFall 2 pretty much sent to die this holiday. They've improved from the beta but the apathy of another shooter has set in. TitanFall 2 isn't some Mass Effect universe gamers are invested in for the story etc. Just sad because Respawn has been amazing with such a smaller team than what others have. EA and Activision are such horrendous publishers.

EL CUCO

It's the better game. Hopefully with good word of mouth and dev support it becomes a giant of its own.

AHA-Lambda

This still seems silly.

Even if we subscribe to this chain of logic that it can't be changed (which I don't believe), EA isn't stupid, they'd know they had a BF title coming around then too

They made a deal with pizza rolls, chips, soda and such to so maybe the promo materials locked them into the date? Either way so far im happy with the content so far.
Yeah it must be all the marketing deals

Such a shame if the release date ends up hurting the game. I'm picking it up off the strength of how good the first game was.

Yea making marketing deals with tie ins during the holiday period basically locks them into the time period. Everyone is wanting to buy marketing space this time of year, EA acquired it and would have lost a ton to delay the game.

Harp

The thing is just like in movies when you make a good product that is worth playing it will sell. Just because they made a game that also as good as battlefield and call of duty it won't grab alot of a ateebtion. But if they make product that stands out the release date shouldn't matter.

Should have been at the beginning of October.

Don't think that would have been either. Problem is you have some big sports games then all vying for attention and multi side of things and of course Gears which seemed to have failed to do anything great.

But I think regardless EA probably killed the IP when they made it Xbox exclusive originally. Early in the year would have been a better release but I think it's fate was sealed after the original.

The thing is just like in movies when you make a good product that is worth playing it will sell. Just because they made a game that also as good as battlefield and call of duty it won't grab alot of a ateebtion. But if they make product that stands out the release date shouldn't matter.

To an extent, but sales will be affected at launch. The game might develop a following and have some legs due to word of mouth, but the crowded release period reduces the game's exposure and people do have to make a choice when they buy a game, and MP focused games are pulling for playerbase, players get invested and can only play one or two games at a time usually.

Menitta

Going next to COD, I understand, but going against Battlefield, a game by the same publisher is insane! Did they not have any communication with Dice? I just don't understand it.

Vinc

I don't know their budget at all, but I would think 5 or so million copies sold would be ok for the game, as it had a fairly short development time by today's standards.

Izuna

Banned
Campaign is among the best of this gen
Reviews are dope
MP still shits on whatever else this gen (outside if the original)

<3, and fuck CoD. CoD deserves to have sales eaten away from it. I am happy every time people choose something over it.

There are people who will buy it just for MW:R, and that's gross.

Either way, Respawn are the people's champion ;-)

joebruin

Should have been at the beginning of October.

or next year

Campaign is among the best of this gen
Reviews are dope
MP still shits on whatever else this gen (outside if the original)

<3, and fuck CoD. CoD deserves to have sales eaten away from it. I am happy every time people choose something over it.

There are people who will buy it just for MW:R, and that's gross.

Either way, Respawn are the people's champion ;-)

your preference in shooter doesn't change the fact that this was stupid to position it between cod and EA's own tentpole shooter.

I really struggle to understand EA's thinking with this.

Moving the release date to February or March seems so obvious.

As I understand it, at this time of year game sales spike a lot so they'll be getting a smaller piece of a much bigger pie, as oppose to getting more attention if it came out in March, but ultimately there's far less sales potential at that time of year.

I don't know their budget at all, but I would think 5 or so million copies sold would be ok for the game, as it had a fairly short development time by today's standards.

It would be pretty bad compared to how the first game did considering it's a sequel with a campaign which is more costly to develop, and it's a little over half what the last projections from the analyst were.

Don't think that would have been either. Problem is you have some big sports games then all vying for attention and multi side of things and of course Gears which seemed to have failed to do anything great.

But I think regardless EA probably killed the IP when they made it Xbox exclusive originally. Early in the year would have been a better release but I think it's fate was sealed after the original.

If Microsoft hadn't come in and scooped up exclusivity, Titanfall would have died then and there. It's been documented that EA was going to give up on the game before MS came in.

emb

What's this about? Is it clashing with some other big game?
I'm wondering this too. I'd guess either that, or the game is unpolished/unfinished?
Not sure if you two are being serious but the game launched in between Battlefield and COD. Two of the most popular shooters around, which will no doubt affect Titanfall's sales.
It's sandwhiched a week after Battlefield and a week before Call of Duty
Ah, that makes sense.

Sorry, I'm legitimately out of the loop. That's a rough spot, but surely they knew for a while that other popular shooters would be launching around this time of year. Hope it works out for 'em.

sam777

What's this about? Is it clashing with some other big game?

I'm wondering this too. I'd guess either that, or the game is unpolished/unfinished?

Not sure if you two are being serious but the game launched in between Battlefield and COD. Two of the most popular shooters around, which will no doubt affect Titanfall's sales.

As I understand it, at this time of year game sales spike a lot so they'll be getting a smaller piece of a much bigger pie, as oppose to getting more attention if it came out in March, but ultimately there's far less sales potential at that time of year.
This makes sense.

It'll be interesting to see if the strategy pays off. I could see it backfiring too though. Instead of getting a small slice of the pie they could end up not even getting a seat at the table.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think EA wants Titanfall to eat CoD's lunch. They want to dominate the holidays with two big fps titles. Launching in spring instead of the holidays just doesn't make any sense unless you're a huge brand like GTA.

They're also going to be forgotten next week as the press moves on to cover Call of Duty. Release it next year and all these reviews and impressions get a month or so to breathe and circulate.

Chris1

They're also going to be forgotten next week as the press moves on to cover Call of Duty. Release it next year and all these reviews and impressions get a month or so to breathe and circulate.
Honestly.. all CoD will do is highlight just how much better Titanfall is :/ For all the shit Respawn got over the tech test, the game is still leagues above anything COD has put out recently.

Titanfall can still do "fine" but EA needs to get behind it bigtime and give it a huge marketing push over the holidays. Respawn needs to do what they can to keep it being talked about (announce free DLC plans, etc). Make it a game people ask for their Christmas, not a game that most people don't even know released yet.

The game is out, it's better than CoD, it's got very good reviews and will no doubt have good word of mouth. It's up to EA to market the hell out of it and make people want it for Christmas now and give the game strong legs. Unfortunately I seriously doubt thats going to happen considering they've barely done anything so far and... I mean, there's a FIFA bundle this holiday but not a Titanfall bundle?

Schlorgan

Honestly.. all CoD will do is highlight just how much better Titanfall is :/

Titanfall can still do "fine" but EA needs to get behind it bigtime and give it a huge marketing push over the holidays. Respawn needs to do what they can to keep it being talked about (announce free DLC plans, etc). Make it a game people ask for their Christmas, not a game that most people don't even know released yet.

The game is out, it's better than CoD, it's got very good reviews and will no doubt have good word of mouth. It's up to EA to market the hell out of it and make people want it for Christmas now. Unfortunately I seriously doubt thats going to happen considering they've barely done anything so far and... I mean, there's a FIFA bundle this holiday but not a Titanfall bundle?

The Mountain Dew/Doritos/Buffalo Wild Wings promotions and ads during basketball games don't count?

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

Eh? No, not really. Original did fine (even if some of its sales were from discounted prices). Unless you're talking about it from a "I'm a PS gameerrr! Hurdurrr!" Then, erm, I don't really know what to tell you.

I, too, think TF2 should have been out Q1. I mean, worst case is, it releases near or around Mass Effect, which I think has a more different demographic than BF1 and IW. Let's hope it sells well, and no, those "I'll wait until it's discounted! Heehee!" way of thinking isn't helping. I know you want to get something for cheap (who doesn't?) but intentionally hoping a game bombs so you can pick it up cheaper is kind of like being a dick, no?

Atolm

I will buy this with my PS4 Pro. They won me with the free content policy.

I never played TF1 but I had fun with the beta. I feel like I'm a nerd, I tend to like MP shooters that bomb hard, I played the shit out of Killzone Shadow Fall's MP.

Haines

Banned
People are putting way to much stock into a release date.

If the game is good, it will sell. It will get good word of mouth and people will play it.

Respawn did this low sales dance with tf1, they know what to do.

Top Bottom