• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeromcd73

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20004620.html

- Capcom predicts 100million PS4's and 40~50million Xbox One's will be sold by 2020.
- Predicts Street Fighter 5 will have long legs due to its e-sports popularity
- Capcom is a rare Japanese video game developer with a heavy focus on overseas consumers, must make games to appeal to the foreign consumers
- Talks about Monster Hunter 4 G's sales are being lower in the West compared to Japan, but is explained that it is due to the fact that the handheld market is only 10% of the dedicated video game market compared to Japan where handhelds are popular, and that they are taking the proper procedures to make sure that Monster Hunter grows overseas

Releasing Monster Hunter on Switch is basically inevitable anyways.

That would cover both handheld and home console players.

I wouldn't mind the series releasing on other platforms, too, but its online mode should be cross-platform in that case.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So I guess Nintendo Switch MonHun confirmed?

Handheld in the East, Home Console in the West.

. the handheld market is only 10% of the dedicated video game market compared to Japan where handhelds are popular, and that they are taking the proper procedures to make sure that Monster Hunter grows overseas

"And so we'd like to announce, effective immediately, monster hunter is now a mobile exclusive franchise in the West."

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So I guess Nintendo Switch MonHun confirmed?

Handheld in the East, Home Console in the West.

Dont know about that - if they go for a console anyway...i dont see how they could justify skipping the massive PS4(and to a lesser extent Xbox) userbase. Switch starts with a userbase of 0 - so this will take a long ass time until they can even reach 3DS sales there.

Maybe the rumors of mainline series --> PS4 and portable series --> Switch are true.

demigod

Releasing Monster Hunter on Switch is basically inevitable anyways.

That would cover both handheld and home console players.

I wouldn't mind the series releasing on other platforms, too, but its online mode should be cross-platform in that case.

Switch is not a home console and has 0 install base. Looks like they want to release Monster Hunter on PS4 and Xbox One.

Bye bye Switch

This would make no sense at all.
Nintendo is promoting the Switch as a home console first and a handheld console second.
It would make an extreme amount of sense to still release MonHun titles on this platform, considering the 3DS helped making Monster Hunter more popular A LOT in the west.

Switch is not a home console and has 0 install base. Looks like they want to release Monster Hunter on PS4 and Xbox One.

I was ready to post nicolascagelaugh.gif but I can't tell if you're actually being serious or just in for the lulz.

Rymuth

Dont know about that - if they go for a console anyway...i dont see how they could justify skipping the massive PS4(and to a lesser extent Xbox) userbase. Switch starts with a userbase of 0 - so this will take a long ass time until they can even reach 3DS sales there.

Maybe the rumors of mainline series --> PS4 and portable series --> Switch are true.
Really? :eek:

I thought it's more likely they'll continue with the Console/PC ---> Frontier series and Handheld/Switch ---> Mainline.

The raw cost of making higher res assets will increase the spending budget compared to previous games a lot.

Still, a switch version makes perfect sense for how monhun works. Hell, MH3U had a save transfer feature for the 3DS and Wii U to do what the switch does, in a ghetto way.

If this means XX is coming to Switch, I really hope it has crossplay with 3DSes.

Ploid 3.0

This would make no sense at all.
Nintendo is promoting the Switch as a home console first and a handheld console second.
It would make an extreme amount of sense to still release MonHun titles on this platform.

Well it sounds like they want the current consoles install base, and mention PS4 and Xbox One specifically. Switch has to grow first. It'll most likely show up there anyway, but they seem to want to move to the home consoles.

KingBroly

Banned

Japan is still MH's bread and butter sales wise. Saying MH5 on PS4/XB1 only is going to hurt their overall sales because consoles are dead in Japan.

Monster Hunter XX/Generations Ultimate is most definitely coming to switch given that it's confirmed to come out on 3DS the same day as the Switch's release date.

As much as I would love a full fledged HD console Monster Hunter, I doubt Capcom would ever fund the higher res assets a new game would need to look passable on a Xbone and PS4. These games were always small time operations and are as only as successful as portable gaming can be in Japan.

AALLx

They will release Monster Hunter 5 as a mobile game and call it "Monster Hunter GO"!

"go" means five (5) in Japanese

random25

Street Fighter 5 having long legs? Good luck with that.

MH5 on PS4 will be a sure fire hot topic over here.

I feel like the limiting factor of MH popularity in the West is not because it's on a handheld (MH is more popular now that it has ever been btw, and it's just on 3DS) but because its gameplay is just not for Western audiences. It has become more accessible over the years so it might contribute to its slowly but surely growing fanbase overseas.

oti

Banned
Bye bye Switch

I would love to see them try. To make MH a success on PS4/XBO not only would Capcom have to change the gameplay up and make it more friendly and modern for new players, they'd also have to finally implement 21st century graphics and tech, which I'm sure they would hate to no end.

Card Boy

Banned
As much as people keeping saying Monster Hunter belongs on handhelds for me its the opposite. Nothing beats playing it on a big screen, better graphics, a proper controller and better online infrastructure. I would take that over portability any day of the week.

Well it sounds like they want the current consoles install base, and mention PS4 and Xbox One specifically. Switch has to grow first. It'll most likely show up there anyway, but they seem to want to move to the home consoles.

It sounds to me like those are simply answers to two different questions.
They are probably not very much if at all related to one another.

I personally couldn't see Capcom doing a complete 180° and solely produce Monster Hunter titles for PS4 and Xbox One now. They need to consider their biggest MH market too, which is Japan, which has way more handheld players than home console players.

Elixist

I would love to see them try. To make MH a success on PS4/XBO not only would Capcom have to change the gameplay up and make it more friendly and modern for new players, they'd also have to finally implement 21st century graphics and tech, which I'm sure they would hate to no end.

we dont kno that though. maybe the team is sick as we are of the old assets. of course for the corp. the low res assets were a boon.

As much as people keeping saying Monster Hunter belongs on handhelds for me its the opposite. Nothing beats playing it on a big screen, better graphics, a proper controller and better online infrastructure. I would take that over portability any day of the week.
The online in 4U and X/Generations is actually totally fine now. Nothing like how it was the PSP games, and it's even way better than the last console one, 3U on Wii U.

Still, I get why the 240p screen, controls, etc bugs people, lol.

Switch would ideally give the best of both worlds on this issue tho, so it's what I expect.

Victrix

*beard*

Also as the complexity of the controls grows, the misery of using a handheld for extended periods of time increases.

I had to kit out my 3ds with like $30 of aftermarket grips + covers to let me play MH, and that was enough to make me skip Generations.

Well that and my all-console/PC friends having zero interest in playing a game like that on handheld as well.

If this happens, it better be PS4/PC with cross-play like SFV.

It would be an interesting compromise for sure, and it would be a plus for someone like me who's a PC/Nintendo gamer. I'd still love the mainline entries on Nintendo, but I would probably always go PC.

danthefan

There's probably no way of knowing but the Xbox seems to be gaining momentum and Scorpio will have an impact so at least twice the number of PS4s in the wild than Xbox by 2020 seems a bit much, no?

Corpekata

Banned
Given Capcom's port crazy nature of late + no dedicated handhelds on the horizon, it's inevitable they'll have to go Switch or PS4 eventually and create some high res assets and ditch dual screens, and then at that point, probably eventually port it to every platform under the sun.

It makes little sense to not at least try it in the west, as the series cache has increased greatly over the past few years.

antonz

The Logic is pretty flawed. Monster Hunter Started as a console series and sold like shit compared to what Handheld has done. It was also on the most successful console ever so that didn't do jack shit for the series

and LOL at SFV having legs. Those legs fell off and rotted to dust

Chindogg

lol you guys expecting proper 4K Monster Hunter if they went to PS4/X1.

Be lucky if you get slightly better models for an upresed version of the handheld games.

It'll be on Switch practically guaranteed.

Their prediction about the ps4 and xbox one sales by 2020 and the admission that MH is being limited by handheld in the US tells me that that rumor about MH on PS4/XB1 probably has a kernel of truth to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom