• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Issues thread

Xellos

Mrbob said:
I was playing Madden last night, and when I selected a player he was moving backwards on his own. I think its the same Bluetooth problem as mentioned in the PS3 thread. I restarted the game and everything was fine. Played some Zelda too with no problems. It was odd.

I've had this same kind of problem in Zelda and Rayman. Disconnecting and reconnecting the remote using the Home button fixed it for me, but it does come back. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the batteries, since it didn't show up until my remote only had 2/4 bars.

Dilbert

TekunoRobby said:
For everyone who's having net connection issues:

Try changing your wifi channel to either a 1 or 11. If its set to either of those choices then try changing it something else. That simple switch actually cleared up most of my connection issues. Be warned that channel 11 is used by a lot of wireless telephones.
Wow, I would hope that wouldn't be a requirement. I specifically set my WiFi router to channel 9 to avoid all of the interference from wireless routers in the apartments around me...all of which seem to be set at defaults of 1, 6, or 11.

Amir0x

Banned
EBCubs03 said:
Can you access the VC at all? Because I can't, it just freezes completely when trying to connect.

How do we know if we have a bricked wii? I can send miis and messages fine, it's just the VC that bones up on me.

yeah i can access the VC store fine. just, when i exit... it's a 50-50 chance that it'll freeze

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
-jinx- said:
Wow, I would hope that wouldn't be a requirement. I specifically set my WiFi router to channel 9 to avoid all of the interference from wireless routers in the apartments around me...all of which seem to be set at defaults of 1, 6, or 11.
It fixed my problems immediately, I kept getting the error code: 052030. My channel was initially set to 4.

jarosh

Jiguryo said:
I live in Brazil, and I bought my Points with my Visa International. I had no problems whatsoever doing so. Its billing address is here -- the only confirmation they've asked was the ZIP code associated with such card. I've chosen Brazil as my country, and English as the system language.
dude, you're in BRAZIL. brazil is part of the us wii's native regions. of course you can buy stuff with your credit card! every region that is selectable in the country list will be accepted as a billing address country. your inital post was misleading.

Jiguryo said:
You should check if your Visa allows you to buy stuff from other countries.
i've used my credit card in america, germany, england, spain, italy, denmark, asia, russia and plenty of other countries. so yeah.

TekunoRobby said:
Have you tried connecting the Wii to your sound system with the composite cables? Have you tried connecting the Wii to another sound system or a TV to see if the sound improves? I'm hoping you have faulty component cables since those are easier to replace then a system.
i'll try it with the composite cable and report back

Sega

I can't access the VC store at all on my router. I have crazy good signal, and everything else internet related works fine on Wii and another wirelessly connected PC. It works over my friends' houses. I think I might need to open the port, but I have no idea what port that would be.

Yes, I've tried the 1 or 11 channels, and I've shut off anything in my house that might even think of causing interference. Really though, if my PC can download at 2MB/s wirelessly, I should damn well be able to load a web page on Wii.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I swear that 1 or 11 channel switch worked for me. Used to never be able to browse the VC channel and get long pauses on the Mii channel but now all of that has been cleared up.

Try calling Nintendo customer support, they've been pretty helpful I've heard: 1-800-255-3700

puck1337

Sega said:
I can't access the VC store at all on my router. I have crazy good signal, and everything else internet related works fine on Wii and another wirelessly connected PC. It works over my friends' houses. I think I might need to open the port, but I have no idea what port that would be.

Yes, I've tried the 1 or 11 channels, and I've shut off anything in my house that might even think of causing interference. Really though, if my PC can download at 2MB/s wirelessly, I should damn well be able to load a web page on Wii.
Make sure that your router is set to mixed mode, and not to G-only.

Sega

puck1337 said:
Make sure that your router is set to mixed mode, and not to G-only.
I forgot to put that in my post :). I have it set to mixed mode. But as I said in the previous post, I can do all other internet stuff just fine on Wii, which it wouldn't be able to do without mixed mode enabled. I may have to call Nintendo support. Which sucks, because I know it only does this with my router. It's a good linux based linksys router. It really should work. They're gonna try to send me a new console or something, but I know it's gotta be a simple setting somewhere. I've tried everything in the support forums.

jarosh

Steriletom said:
But, seriously. What is the solution? And how may I become a part of it?
access your router's settings. probably 192.168.0.1 or something like that and check wlan settings. you should be able to change the channel there.

TekunoRobby said:
Have you tried connecting the Wii to your sound system with the composite cables? Have you tried connecting the Wii to another sound system or a TV to see if the sound improves? I'm hoping you have faulty component cables since those are easier to replace then a system.
ok i tried the composite cable. same issue. i gotta say though, it's pretty minor. sometimes i don't even notice it. the distortion only occurs on certain loud, mid-frequency heavy sounds.

DjangoReinhardt said:
I was told by Nintendo that Zelda saves would NOT transfer to an SD card. The only way to keep all of your data is to send the system to Nintendo after they send you a shipping label, rather than use the advance replacement option.

Ok my brother just picked up a new Wii at the stores today, and updated it and got online perfectly fine. Then he transferred all his Miis, Cod3, and Zelda saves on my SD card and put them onto Wiis memory perfectly fine.

WHAT GIVES?

Is there an 100% awnswer?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Xellos said:
I've had this same kind of problem in Zelda and Rayman. Disconnecting and reconnecting the remote using the Home button fixed it for me, but it does come back. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the batteries, since it didn't show up until my remote only had 2/4 bars.

Apparently it's bluetooth!

Sony and Nintendo am cry.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Lavpa Jasai said:
Ok my brother just picked up a new Wii at the stores today, and updated it and got online perfectly fine. Then he transferred all his Miis, Cod3, and Zelda saves on my SD card and put them onto Wiis memory perfectly fine.

WHAT GIVES?

You can transfer a Zelda save no problem. In fact you can transfer over Channels as well but those are locked to your Wii only. You can also read the save files on your PC, they're located in the private folder.

TekunoRobby said:
You can transfer a Zelda save no problem. In fact you can transfer over Channels as well but those are locked to your Wii only. You can also read the save files on your PC, they're located in the private folder.

I thought Nintendo said you COULDNT?

So if I had them send me over a replacement Wii, I could transfer EVERYTHING (game saves, Miis, Wiisports high scores, Zelda ect.) PERFECTLY fine?

yodandy

Lavpa Jasai said:

WHAT GIVES?

Yep, I am this brother he speaks of.

Grabbed about 15 Mii's, a COD3 save, Wii sports save, and a zelda save of an SD card, and it worked perfectly...

Whats this shit about not being able to transfer saves? It worked fine.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
WTF?

I just turned the VC version of Zelda on and my save was reverted. I had like 9 hearts and a bunch of dungeons beaten, but now I have 5 and I don't even have the white sword.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
jarosh said:
dude, you're in BRAZIL. brazil is part of the us wii's native regions. of course you can buy stuff with your credit card! every region that is selectable in the country list will be accepted as a billing address country. your inital post was misleading.

i've used my credit card in america, germany, england, spain, italy, denmark, asia, russia and plenty of other countries. so yeah.

First of all, I had absolutely no idea your country wasn't listed on the system.

In a case of "better safe than sorry", I used my int'l card. Just to check, on my next Points acquisition I'll try to use my non-int'l card. Even though I'm fairly sure it might not work.

Lost Fragment said:
WTF?

I just turned the VC version of Zelda on and my save was reverted. I had like 9 hearts and a bunch of dungeons beaten, but now I have 5 and I don't even have the white sword.
You're sure you actually did an in-game save rather than letting it do the auto quick save which you then lost by resetting it?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
JoshuaJSlone said:
You're sure you actually did an in-game save rather than letting it do the auto quick save which you then lost by resetting it?

Yeah, I did an in-game save, definitely.

Edit: Egh...maybe you're right, actually. I thought I saved it in-game pretty often, but I unplugged my Wii last night because I was having trouble with the Wiimote. Maybe I didn't save in-game as often as I thought I did :E

jarosh

Jiguryo said:
First of all, I had absolutely no idea your country wasn't listed on the system.

DCharlie - FIRST POST said:
1. Credit cards

Again, as per PS3, only a credit card belonging to a country on the list available on your wii can be used. Having a european card means that no Wii points can be purchased. Check returns "Error : country doesn't match that in Wii settings" :(
jarosh - page 1 said:
because i sure as hell can't buy wii points with my swiss visa.
you had absolutely no idea?

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
jarosh said:
you had absolutely no idea?

Considering that I probably read that wasn't counting on reading "Brazil" on the countries list on the first setup, no I hadn't.

(and yet I didn't realize European countries weren't added to the list until you told me so and reposted DCharlie's post. So yeah, it's an honest mistake.)

jarosh

Jiguryo said:
Considering that I probably read that wasn't counting on reading "Brazil" on the countries list on the first setup, no I hadn't.

(and yet I didn't realize European countries weren't added to the list until you told me so and reposted DCharlie's post. So yeah, it's an honest mistake.)
okay, no problem man

Xristot

Jarosh, I guess your only option for now is getting wii points cards. I've heard some retailers email you the code, so you won't have to wait, but I'm not 100% on that.

In any case, if you are still looking for points, let me know. I'll be in NYC tomorrow and so I can pick up as many as you need. Just let me know through PM.

jarosh

Xristot said:
Jarosh, I guess your only option for now is getting wii points cards. I've heard some retailers email you the code, so you won't have to wait, but I'm not 100% on that.

In any case, if you are still looking for points, let me know. I'll be in NYC tomorrow and so I can pick up as many as you need. Just let me know through PM.
yeah, i mean shipping the cards to europe would be insane and it wouldn't make any sense. i just need the code. what's with the rumor about retailers emailing the code? is that true? if so, which ones? online stores with international "shipping"?

i might get back to you on your offer though...

Xristot

jarosh said:
yeah, i mean shipping the cards to europe would be insane and it wouldn't make any sense. i just need the code. what's with the rumor about retailers emailing the code? is that true? if so, which ones? online stores with international "shipping"?

i might get back to you on your offer though...

I'm not really sure. I've checked circuit city and best buy and both seem to want to ship the actual card to me. I'll check EB games and gamestop next.

EDIT* yeah, both eb games and gamestop seem to want to ship the cards out as well.

Nintendo's online store doesn't seem to sell them at all. They were the ones I would expect to email the codes to you as well... :(

jarosh

Xristot said:
I'm not really sure. I've checked circuit city and best buy and both seem to want to ship the actual card to me. I'll check EB games and gamestop next.

EDIT* yeah, both eb games and gamestop seem to want to ship the cards out as well.

Nintendo's online store doesn't seem to sell them at all. They were the ones I would expect to email the codes to you as well... :(
hey, check your pms :)

andthebeatgoeson

Well, no wire internet is making for a fun wifi experience. The DS is incredibly easy but the Wii is having a few issues even finding my access point. And I use the Wii in the same room I use my DS. Hell, I use the DS farther away but consistently, my Wii won't find the right spot *snicker* or access point or even any. I'm afraid it'll be janky when it comes to playing online *double snicker, I know Nintendo isn't going online...haha*

Future

---------------------------
I was playing Madden last night, and when I selected a player he was moving backwards on his own. I think its the same Bluetooth problem as mentioned in the PS3 thread. I restarted the game and everything was fine. Played some Zelda too with no problems. It was odd.

Usually unplugging the nunchuck and plugging it back in fixes this. I think it thinks the wrong position on the analogue is neutral when you turn on the console with it already attached

TekunoRobby said:
I swear that 1 or 11 channel switch worked for me. Used to never be able to browse the VC channel and get long pauses on the Mii channel but now all of that has been cleared up.

Try calling Nintendo customer support, they've been pretty helpful I've heard: 1-800-255-3700

Dude, I really have to thank you. I was so frustrated with the Wii Shop till I changed the channel to 1 and now it's *SUPER* fast. No more broken connections no more waiting. It's almost or probably as fast as Xbox Live for me now.

Just for comparison, when I dowloaded LoZ, it took Mario about 3 to 5 runs to turn 1 brick into a coin and now it took him just 1 run per brick when I downloaded Sonic, which I'm sure is a lot bigger size than Zelda.

Xristot

Future said:

Usually unplugging the nunchuck and plugging it back in fixes this. I think it thinks the wrong position on the analogue is neutral when you turn on the console with it already attached

yeah, that happened to me once and I just unplugged the nunchuck and replugged it back in...making sure the nunchuck analog stick was centered.

maxmars

Steriletom said:
How do I change the channels on my router? I don't see any sort of switch on the actual unit itself.

You have to enter the router admin setup, which is usually a web page on the same IP as your router.

E.g. if you have a router which is 192.168.1.1, then you have to point the browser to:

http://192.168.1.1

Be advised that such devices always ask you for a user name/password combo before letting you change settings.

You may want to retrieve default name/pwd from the instruction booklet (if you don't have it anymore, usually you can download them from the net, otherwise woe is you).

As for the router IP, it's the same as the IP address of the gateway on your PC (your router is actually your LAN gateway).

Ristamar

Xristot said:
yeah, that happened to me once and I just unplugged the nunchuck and replugged it back in...making sure the nunchuck analog stick was centered.

Had a similar problem, too. I thought the remote was geeking out until I realized I likely had the analog tilted during startup. I reset the Wii, and everything worked fine.

PkunkFury

Saoh said:
so, to re-confirm... is anyone using their Wii with the USB wi-fi adapter?

yes, it has been working fine too, I haven't had any of the troubles listed in this thread, just that occasionally it wont connect, but if I try again a minute later it works

DyersEve

The only issues I had were when I first got online and it wouldnt work, but that was because I had to install the latest version of the Wi-Fi USB connector. The main issue though ive been haveing is with the controller going out of sync or something and the four bottom blue lights on the control flashing. Ive tried everything to figure out why it does this sometimes, I think that its just some kind on interference with the control and the
Wi-Fi connector.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
temjin said:
The only issue I'm having with my Wii is that I don't have it yet and it won't be released until Dec 7th.

:(

I feel for you.

I've never gone that long without playing with my Wii since it was released.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Saoh said:
so, to re-confirm... is anyone using their Wii with the USB wi-fi adapter?

I set my parent's wii up with my USB adapter, since they didn't have wireless.

working fine.

Xristot

One funny little issue I ran into is that in addition to my sensor bar, my windows (when its bright outside) also work as a sensor bar. Surprisingly though, they work really well. It's kind of more comfortable using them as my sensor bar as well because then I can sit on my couch and point in the direction of my windows. It's nice to know I have options. :lol

Top Bottom