• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CPala, get in here NOW: Fake Xbox Live accounts for foreign Marketplaces banned?

adelante

The usual lock-if-old:

If you’re still one of the few persons that only have one single Xbox Live on their Xbox 360, you can stop reading here. If on the other hand you’re one of the many thousands that have registered a second or third account in another region using region lockout circumvention, you will be interested to know that Microsoft is planning to ban those accounts soon.

Everyone knew how to do it and many people did. The Xboxic crew actually uses the ‘trick’ frequently to make sure our reporting is correct on when what Xbox Live Marketplace content became available in which region. No more, according to usually quite well informed German site Xbox Archiv (Babelfish translation follows):

For approx. 2 weeks we know that Microsoft will delete in the near future Xbox Live Fake account to serve to procure itself e.g. from US the Marketplace of contents. Unfortunately we could not publish these information, since they originated from a confidential discussion. Since many sources however already on it report, we can do you the information also admit now to give. What will happen?: As soon as Microsoft notices that US Xbox tries a Live account with a IP e.g. from Germany something of the market place to download, then this account will be closed/deleted in the future. That applies also to accounts as gold members was put on. This is justified with legal and copyright regulations for films of the content offerers or indicated titles etc.. There will still be updates for games, but new game content or video/demos of the foreign market place probably belong to the past.
Apparently the sudden need to act upon this ‘abuse’ has risen with the release of the video marketplace and its inherent copyright implications. In short, when you log into Xbox Live from an IP address that does not correspond to the correct country for a given account, the account will get flagged for deletion or banning. To check where your IP is located you can go here for example, and read the WHOIS-information that is known for your current IP address.

Although we haven’t received firm confirmation yet of any actual banning, we at Xboxic consider it safe to state that it’s only a matter of time before the hammer gets dropped on some foreign accounts: the video marketplace publishers will make sure of that to ensure their regional copyrights are not violated. Too bad for the legit users that are just curious about content not released in their home region for often dodgy reasons.

BELIEVE.

NeXuSDK

Then get the damn content to everybody else. I know there's a lot of legal issues and stuff, but there's no excuse.

adelante

Bummer. Was gonna happen sooner or later....

screwedtl3.jpg

critch

Banned
The legal issues are the excuse, though. They have contracts with the content providers that they can't go around. Some content providers may have other deals for certain areas, like what happened with the Rainbow Six demo. It's not up to Microsoft a lot of the time.

NeXuSDK

critch said:
The legal issues are the excuse, though. They have contracts with the content providers that they can't go around. Some content providers may have other deals for certain areas, like what happened with the Rainbow Six demo. It's not up to Microsoft a lot of the time.

Yeah, I know it's not just something you do right away, but it's certainly not impossible either. Microsoft has influence, especially with the XBL installed base growing all the time, and they need to spread the content fast or they will loose their momentum.

scarybore

So Microsoft is going to ban my Gold US account on my Xbox in Japan?

Oh dear, this won't go down very well at all. As long as I can keep my legitimate UK account and lose my other region Gamertags I don't mind , but for peeps in your situation I feel for you. I think the last thing I would want is to be limited to a JP Gamertag.

I've never played an import game in my life, and I only have my single US Xbox Live account, but I've always thought separating stuff by region in this way was pretty silly.

So if some guy in Sweden buys a tv show from the US Marketplace, are they worried that "Swedish NBC" loses out on some money? Is that the reason for all this?

soul creator said:
I've never played an import game in my life, and I only have my single US Xbox Live account, but I've always thought separating stuff by region in this way was pretty silly.

So if some guy in Sweden buys a tv show from the US Marketplace, are they worried that "Swedish NBC" loses out on some money? Is that the reason for all this?

The problem is that global contracts for 99% of things don`t exist. they are stuck in the non-internet era. I should imagine in 10 years time things might start to change, but until then, sucks to be us.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
I'm surprised that they don't just region lock more demos like they did with the Love Football demo.

Not that I would encourage that stuff but you know, the ability is there, weird that they didn't use it for that R6V demo for instance.

Geoff9920

Why dont they just prevent foreign IPs from purchasing stuff from the market place and allow everything else? I don't get it. Sucks for the jp gaffers.

Foil

Wait, so if I live in Canada and made a second account to get the Vegas demo will they ban the fake german account or both my accounts?

I'll sell my damn 360 if they even think about banning my normal one.

Foil said:
Wait, so if I live in Canada and made a second account to get the Vegas demo will they ban the fake german account or both my accounts?

I'll sell my damn 360 if they even think about banning my normal one.

Sounds like "The Fake One".

Bebpo

Banned
Geoff9920 said:
Why dont they just prevent foreign IPs from purchasing stuff from the market place and allow everything else? I don't get it. Sucks for the jp gaffers.

That doesn't make it any better.

If I own a Japanese X360 & a Japanese game & I want to purchase additional downloadable content that comes out for that game...MS should not be able to say "no you can't get any extra content even if it's available".

So if a Japanese X360 owner living in Japan moves to the US and takes his X360 with him...suddenly his account will be banned? WTF MS.

If the "Video Marketplace" is the problem, they why not just region-lock the videos like some of the demos are? This is a destroying an anthill to kill a single ant approach they're taking.

Last Hope

Come on MS, if you ban those accounts, you won't be able to gloat about your 4m subscribers since it will probably drop by 10k or so.

Ok, maybe it won't be that significant but it is still a lot of accounts.

Ryu1999

StuKen said:
friedman-180.jpg

Globalization LOL

Looks like Sony's not the only one who hates Europe. Where's the Kaz laughing gif? Actually, a really tasteless but appropriate picture would be footage of normandy spliced with the kaz gif.

Last Hope said:
You may have been their only customer too.

Damn, dude. Was he downloading every season of South Park available along with ATL and Poseidon Hi-Def or what? Because that downloading has been slooooooow.

pr0cs

I'm curious why people feel that this is Microsoft's fault? It's obvious that content providers are upset that Microsoft is giving people a way to providers content, I'm not surprised that Microsoft would be forced to try and crack down on this loophole.

Speevy said:
I think arne resigned as the NeoGaf Xbox community leader.

I think there should be spaces between "NOW", ":", and "Fake" and the spaces between "downloads", "=", and "BAN" should removed to make room. Right now the subject line looks quite awkward.

pr0cs said:
I'm curious why people feel that this is Microsoft's fault? It's obvious that content providers are upset that Microsoft is giving people a way to providers content, I'm not surprised that Microsoft would be forced to try and crack down on this loophole.

Typical GAF drama. People getting mad about not being able to get stuff that they weren't supposed to get in the first place. It's like getting free cable, then the cable company realizes it and shuts it down, but you, somehow, get mad at them.

hyp

time to find a legit address and phone # to some restauarant in japan. including the name of the restaurant owner.

CPaladino

Xbox Community Team
Hey guys - I just got back to the internets this morning - turkey had me shackled throughout the weekend.

I'm getting the story straight internally and will report back.

storybook77 said:
Typical GAF drama. People getting mad about not being able to get stuff that they weren't supposed to get in the first place. It's like getting free cable, then the cable company realizes it and shuts it down, but you, somehow, get mad at them.
sounds like people who do things like 'travel' worried about getting accounts banned

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
storybook77 said:

uh but it's not like free cable. People are actually paying for this content.

Tiktaalik

Argg I hate media companies and their old fashioned shit. It's a global world now, none of this crap makes sense anymore.

BuddyC

CPaladino said:
Hey guys - I just got back to the internets this morning - turkey had me shackled throughout the weekend.

Thanks.

adg1034

CPaladino said:

Please do.

Top Bottom