• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I talked to Reggie today about VC, GoldenEye, Nunchuk bundles, Update Post #203

Hero

QuickKick89 said:
I'd show you them, but they'd be overshadowed by the massive amounts of 3rd party games that are highly anticipated. You know, the games the Wii isn't GETTING because it's a PATHETIC PIECE OF LAST-GEN SHIT?

I EXPECT Nintendo to actually try and compete with the other guys in terms of sheer games, and right now, I'm not seeing it. Nintendo can't give another GameCube-size effort here, or the console will be lucky to break 10 million?

So, what's the over-under on the next "Nintendo going the way of Sega?" topic?

Is your avatar a picture of you? Also, what 3rd party games are being 'highly anticipated' again? Lastly, production issues alone for the PS3 will probably give Wii a monumental lead for the first year.

Pellham

Banned
QuickKick89 said:
I'd show you them, but they'd be overshadowed by the massive amounts of 3rd party games that are highly anticipated. You know, the games the Wii isn't GETTING because it's a PATHETIC PIECE OF LAST-GEN SHIT?

I EXPECT Nintendo to actually try and compete with the other guys in terms of sheer games, and right now, I'm not seeing it. Nintendo can't give another GameCube-size effort here, or the console will be lucky to break 10 million?

So, what's the over-under on the next "Nintendo going the way of Sega?" topic?

:lol wtf

Unison

NintendosBooger said:
What do you expect them to do? They're only one company and they have to allocate resources to both the DS and Wii. Third parties will have to fill up the "in-betweens." Show me Sony or Microsoft's first-party line up for the first year...

360 Launch:
Perfect Dark Zero
Kameo
Project Gotham Racing 3

August:
Ninety Nine Nights

November:
Gears of War
Viva Pinata

. . . I think that about covers it.

Nintendo is not doing a bad job, if the lineup posted above comes out in the next year.

I hope 3rd party support is a bit better than it was on GC though!

TigersFan

Hero said:
Is your avatar a picture of you? Also, what 3rd party games are being 'highly anticipated' again? Lastly, production issues alone for the PS3 will probably give Wii a monumental lead for the first year.
I'm highly anticipating Tiger Woods on the Wii. Anyway, I don't get this. The Wii's lineup for next year looks fantastic to me. I don't have a hell of a lot of time to play anyway, so more than 3 big releases (SSBB, SMG, and MP3) will kill me... not to mention Tiger Woods.

Bert

jwj442 said:
I honestly don't see the problem with their first-party lineup. Having full-fledged games (not spinoffs) from four of their biggest franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and SSB) and a sidegame with online from their fifith really big one (Pokemon) in the first year is a pretty tall order. They've also got Fire Emblem, possibly Super Paper Mario, casual stuff like Wii Play, and a few lower-tier titles like Battalion Wars.

The fact that there's only Mario Party 8, Wario Ware, and Wii Play in the first three months is admittedly a bit troubling, but the lineup for the whole year looks pretty good to me.

I agree, For first party only the first year of Wii looks pretty good, especially if games like Disaster, BWii, etc. turn out to be surprise hits.

I'd also expect there to be a few more added to the lists posted here. Things like Wii Motorsports hasn't been mentioned, and it's looking like they shifted everything that was in development for GC onto Wii earlier this year. Add to that the fact that the Wii seems to be getting much better 3rd party support than the GC did, just EA and Ubi alone fill the line-up out quite nicely. Also did I see Heroes pencilled in for a mid 2007 release?

WRT VC, yeah it sucks that they are staggering things out but it makes sense for them, and as the saying goes Nintendo are not your friend :)

I just hope that we'll see some of the unannounced new VC stuff, and that third parties get in on the act quicker as I'm assuming they don't have to space things out according to Nintendo's line-up.

So who had the bright idea to install this guy as President of NOA?

They better ****ing be doing something like translating Fire Emblem III. Because at this rate, I'm going to ****ing sell this NTSC US Wii and get a Japanese one. Because it'll actually have worthwhile ****ing VC games to download, not to mention a better release schedule? Having to wait till next year for Wii Play and WarioWare? **** THAT SHIT.

One to five a week?

And I had the nerve to tell Ethelred that the US VC would pick up quickly at ten titles a week.

Jesus, NOA. First Zelda, now this crap. You really don't want us to give you money, do you?

Pellham

Banned
yeah Reggie has totally ruined the North American VC. I'm definately getting a Japanese Wii as soon as I can afford one (if only for FE/DQ/Shiren VC games + Japan-only Wii releases).

Why they don't plan on allowing you to shop at any region you want is beyond me. It's nothing but pure profit for all businesses involved.

Making the system region coded in a generation where the competitors aren't region coded is pretty ****ing stupid.

Jacobi

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

They better ****ing be doing something like translating Fire Emblem III. Because at this rate, I'm going to ****ing sell this NTSC US Wii and get a Japanese one. Because it'll actually have worthwhile ****ing VC games to download, not to mention a better release schedule? Having to wait till next year for Wii Play and WarioWare? **** THAT SHIT.

One to five a week?

And I had the nerve to tell Ethelred that the US VC would pick up quickly at ten titles a week.

Jesus, NOA. First Zelda, now this crap. You really don't want us to give you money, do you?
Just become a real man like we Europeans always had to be

Pellham said:
yeah Reggie has totally ruined the North American VC. I'm definately getting a Japanese Wii as soon as I can afford one (if only for FE/DQ/Shiren VC games + Japan-only Wii releases).

Making the system region coded in a generation where the competitors aren't region coded is pretty ****ing stupid.

Not to ****ing mention that they originally hinted we'd be able to get around the region thing (like with iTunes or even the ****ing PSN and LIVE networks).

At least I'll be able to play GOOD games SOONER, like NCL was promising us.

Dragona Akehi said:

One to five a week?

I don't think I even need to say the proper response to this rant...but I will anyway.

reggie_shrug.jpg

Not my problem!

jwj442

Well, I don't think FE3 is a big deal. It sort of...sucks. FE4 and FE5 are the really amazing ones. However, I doubt we'll see them on VC in English. Localizing an RPG is time-consuming, and if the old FEs ever make it here, it'll probably be on a full-priced anthology.

Jacobi said:
Just become a real man like we Europeans always had to be

Import and you didn't have to deal with it, and I'd rather not be something I'm not. :p

Seriously, where's the firmware hack for this thing? Nintendo always made it relatively easy to circumvent the region coding.

AniHawk

jwj442 said:
Well, I don't think FE3 is a big deal. It sort of...sucks. FE4 and FE5 are the really amazing ones. However, I doubt we'll see them on VC in English. Localizing an RPG is time-consuming, and if the old FEs ever make it here, it'll probably be on a full-priced anthology.

Make it happen, jwj442. Make it happen.

This is ridiculous. How many ****ing droughts are they expecting?

Yeah... I mean... think about the pace they're going at right now with VC releases...
If they release... 3 games a week, it would take... like...

*does calculations*
Around 6-7 years to release 1000 games. >_> That isn't good.

Setanta

If I can remember correctly Nintendo had a hand at the development of Goldeneye.
I swear I can remember Shigeru Miyamoto being involved somehow in the development, as small as it may have been, his name was in the credits of the game was it not? as well as the debuggers Super Mario Club and Nintendo producer Kenji Miki etc?

MeowMeow

Banned
Can anyone explain to me just what the f*ck are those patents are for?
Nintendo secured all these patents. Besides the patent for the controller, what do those patents do for the system? Has any developer utilized those patents?

LOL ... if anything Reggie is going to get a raise at year end. The Wii launch from a business P.O.V. has been more successful than Nintendo could've hoped and the PR wave Nintendo is riding it their largest since maybe the NES era. The system is arguably *the* hottest item this Christmas, which considering Nintendo couldn't even give away GameCubes last year, is quite a remarkable turn around.

Also I would not neccessarily assume Reggie gets final say on content availibility for the VC. Rolling out the games slowly smells like NCL all over.

Gigglepoo

Setanta said:
If I can remember correctly Nintendo had a hand at the development of Goldeneye.
I swear I can remember Shigeru Miyamoto being involved somehow in the development, as small as it may have been, his name was in the credits of the game was it not? as well as the debuggers Super Mario Club and Nintendo producer Kenji Miki etc?

His name wasn't in the credits. Actually, only about 10 people were in the credits. I don't remember exactly, but it was an absurdly small number.

soundwave05 said:
LAlso I would not neccessarily assume Reggie gets final say on content availibility for the VC. Rolling out the games slowly smells like NCL all over.

Except for the fact that NCL is giving people twice as many games from the ****ing get go.

Honestly, Fils-Aimes is acting as if holding back Super Mario World, Castlevania and Link to the Past will somehow get everyone to buy a copy of Mario Bros.

Mario ****ing Bros.

I could give a crap about the VC games, if I want to play Ice Hockey I'll put it in my NES, if I want to play Shining Force 2 I'll plug it into my Genny, etc.

I already paid 60 dollars for Super Metroid. No need to pay another 8-10 dollars for it again, even if it is worth it.

The only reason I would care much about VC games is if some obscure titles like Dracula X (Turbo not SNES version)popped up on it. Which I know won't happen, because the VC isn't going to be aimed at the obscure. As it stands the VC is a nice bonus feature, and I can understand why some people would be all about it. If you weren't around during the heyday of these games and missed playing them, or sold all your old games long ago, the VC is nice. As it stands I already have all these old systems and games so the VC is pretty meaningless to me.

However I don't understand Nintendo's attitude towards releases, you'd think more would equal better, especially in the case of first party games. It can't be costing Nintendo much at all to stick all their old first party NES, SNES, and n64 games on there, and the more that are available the more will sell.

Hero

Dragona Akehi said:
Not to ****ing mention that they originally hinted we'd be able to get around the region thing (like with iTunes or even the ****ing PSN and LIVE networks).

At least I'll be able to play GOOD games SOONER, like NCL was promising us.

Perrin Kaplan admitted she had wrong information when she said Wii/VC would be region free.

Why do you even keep your Wii, anyway? Have you even tried to play Zelda recently? I might know a few people who could give your Wii a loving home if you don't want it. :p

Dragona Akehi said:
Except for the fact that NCL is giving people twice as many games from the ****ing get go.

Honestly, Fils-Aimes is acting as if holding back Super Mario World, Castlevania and Link to the Past will somehow get everyone to buy a copy of Mario Bros.

Mario ****ing Bros.

Nintendo still tends to favor Japan with content. Business wise I think Nintendo has made a concerned effort to give Western 3rd parties space and I think this also applies to the VC situation.

Things like Red Steel and VC titles like Bonk are not going to get the sales if Nintendo went full-on with their releases. And I really think, if push came to shove, Nintendo could have had both Super Paper Mario and Metroid Prime 3 ready for launch and a shit-ton more VC content too.

Japan the situation is different, there isn't as much 3rd party content upfront, so more VC content there can help Nintendo until they get their releases going there.

jwj442 said:
Yeah, it's all about mainstream hits like Solomon's Key.

Obviously there's going to be some lesser known games on there, but the more well known titles are going to get priority over the obscure classics because Nintendo knows they will sell better.

Hero said:
Perrin Kaplan admitted she had wrong information when she said Wii/VC would be region free.

Every other Nintendo system made it simple to play imported games. Wii shouldn't be any different.

Why do you even keep your Wii, anyway? Have you even tried to play Zelda recently? I might know a few people who could give your Wii a loving home if you don't want it. :p

Trauma Centre is more than enough reason to keep it. However, if a firmware/region coding hack doesn't surface soon, I'll be trading the US Wii for a Japanese one.

As for Zelda, I'm guessing I will have to wait for the GC version, unless NCL/NOA/NOE suddenly gets a bunch of calls complaining, and releases a left hand mode through mail-order. :p

Setanta

Gigglepoo said:
His name wasn't in the credits. Actually, only about 10 people were in the credits. I don't remember exactly, but it was an absurdly small number.

I found the credits, some interesting Nintendo people (in bold) involved:

Credits
Produced by Martin Hollis
Directed by Martin Hollis
Director of Photography Mark Edmonds
Original Screenplay David Doak
Scenic Art Director Karl Hilton
Production Designer Duncan Botwood
Costume Designer B Jones
2nd‑Unit Director Stephen Ellis
Original Music Graeme Norgate, Grant Kirkhope
Sound Effects Graeme Norgate
Production Manager Simon Farmer
System Support Paul Mikell
Additional Graphics Adrian Smith
Sound System and Tools Graham Smith
Elevator Music by Robin Beanland
Rare Testers Huw Ward, Gary Richards, Gavin Hood, Jamie Williams, Gareth Jones, Martin Penny, David Wong, Stephen Stamper
Rare US Staff Eileen Hochberg, Scott Hochberg, Jerry Rogowski
NOA Treehouse Staff Ken Lobb, Rich Richardson, Henry C. Sterchi, Erich Waas, Armond Williams
NOA Testing Michael Kelbaugh, Tim Bechtel, David C. Bridgham, Kirk Buchanan, Kyle Carlson, Chris Dolan, Melvin Forrest, Thomas Hertzog, Sam Hosier III, Robert Johnson, Arnold Myers II, Chris Needham, Sara Osborne, Christian Phillips, Edward A. Ridgeway, Benjamin Smith, Sharon Evans, William Giese, Sam Kujath, Jim Holdeman, David Hunziker, The Q Branch XVI
NCL Staff Keisuke Terasaki, Eiji Onozuka, Masashi Goto
Special Thanks Minoru Arakawa, Howard Lincoln, Mike Fukuda, Joel Hochberg,
Tim Stamper, Chris Stamper, NCL, Super Mario Club
Nintendo Producer Kenji Miki
Executive Producer Hiroshi Yamauchi
< Although he would never do a thing.

Region coding was simple enough to bypass on the Cube, so there's no reason to believe that it won't be simple on the Wii.

With all the cool stuff that's bound to be Japan only on the Wii, I'm sure there's already a few companies hard at work on the problem.

Pellham

Banned
pol's voice said:
Region coding was simple enough to bypass on the Cube, so there's no reason to believe that it won't be simple on the Wii.

With all the cool stuff that's bound to be Japan only on the Wii, I'm sure there's already a few companies hard at work on the problem.

yeah, you can use freeloader to get around it, but that's still lame. I'd rather just get a Japanese system than have to go through the effort of disc swapping every time. Well okay I wouldn't import just beacuse of that, its the Japan-only VC games that are enticing me.

pol's voice said:

Online service will prevent this.

Pellham said:
yeah, you can use freeloader to get around it, but that's still lame. I'd rather just get a Japanese system than have to go through the effort of disc swapping every time. Well okay I wouldn't import just beacuse of that, its the Japan-only VC games that are enticing me.

I'm hoping for a jumper solder, like with the GC. And some sort of firmware hack where you can load up whichever version you want.

Neomoto

Obviously there's going to be some lesser known games on there, but the more well known titles are going to get priority over the obscure classics because Nintendo knows they will sell better.
I think that they are using a lot of lesser known titles for the early adopters (mainly hardcore (Nintendo) fans). Then, when the userbase gets bigger they'll start releasing big names frequently because that way "both sides" of VC win, and more sales in general.

Cyan said:
Baseball NES
Donkey Kong NES
Ice Hockey NES
Mario Bros. NES
Pinball NES
Soccer NES
Solomon’s Key NES
The Legend of Zelda NES
Tennis NES
Urban Champion NES
Wario’s Woods NES

One big name title means I'll believe it when I see it.

So Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. are obscure titles now?

The only two games remotely obscure on that list are Wario's Woods and Solomon's Key.

My point was I don't think they are pushing the VC as a haven for obscure games. I'd love to be wrong though.

QuickKick89 said:
I don't think I even need to say the proper response to this rant...but I will anyway.

reggie_shrug.jpg

Not my problem!
Just a suggestion, but someone should make a inspirational poster photoshop about that!
And also, it sounds like you guys are saying...
ftscat.jpg

...over the VC. I'm just sayin'. :)

ethelred

bigmakstudios said:
I really don't think there is going to be too much of a drought next year.

There IS a drought next year already, at least in terms of Ninty-published games. Only three games -- and all three are minigame compilations -- in the first three months of 2007? Right after the system just launched?

The rest of 2007 may have a lot of quality games, but how can this kind of lineup for the system's first full quarter on the market be encouraging to anyone?

Dragona Akehi said:

One to five a week?

Yes. I blame this on YOU.

Dragona lied to me. :(

Rocked

We all knew Nintendo would use Virtual Console games to pad out the quiet months, but Reggie shouldn't say stuff like that out loud. :lol I don't think there will be as many gaps as the GameCube though. There will be more 3rd party titles.

And screw Goldeneye, where's my Blast Corps?! That and Pilotwings 64 are pretty much the only reason my N64's still taking up space in my cupboard.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I assumed the lack of SMW, DKC and LttP was so Nintendo could have something to fill in for the upcoming software drought. But what's Nintendo gonna do with Japan, then?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dragona Akehi said:

Mario ****ing Bros.

Mario bros...man, it should be illegal to charge 5 dollars for that.

Hero

Dragona Akehi said:
Every other Nintendo system made it simple to play imported games. Wii shouldn't be any different.

Oh, I know this. In fact, the Gamecube mod was probably the easiest console to do. All one had to do was it open it up and use a piece of electrical wire to connect two circuits to a switch to make a toggle on/off for North America / Japan. I would suspect the Wii would be similarily easy, however I'm not about to go taking it apart just yet. I would love to be able to do this with my Wii, as I want to get the new Naruto:GNT EX game that's coming out.

Trauma Centre is more than enough reason to keep it. However, if a firmware/region coding hack doesn't surface soon, I'll be trading the US Wii for a Japanese one.

As for Zelda, I'm guessing I will have to wait for the GC version, unless NCL/NOA/NOE suddenly gets a bunch of calls complaining, and releases a left hand mode through mail-order. :p

Edit:

Slightly unrelated, but I think the reason Wii didn't have 1 million units for launch in North America is for Nintendo to allocate even more units to Japan, since their best chance is to get away ahead of PS3 before production stops being an issue. If this were the case, I imagine the Wii conversion from USA to JPN or vice versa would be relatively easy.
Trauma Center, you mean? :p How do you define 'soon?' I'm sure a Freeloader type Disc will be coming out within the year, and probably a hardware mod even sooner than that.

threeball

Banned
buhmachine said:
while this may be bad, I think you might get deported for partaking in such an unAmerican activity as playing and enjoying Earthbound, so who's got it worse???? :p

I think Goldeneye would make for an excellent Wiimake instead of ending up in VC hell, but only once developers start working out the FPS kinks on the Wii. Its level design lends itself to the Wiimote, and the game would be way funner if you could actually, you know, aim. That's an impossible dream though; this is the only time that I'm disappointed with Microsoft owning Rare. (Rare sucks.) If there's any game due for a remake, it's Goldeneye.

what the ****, I love Earthbound and I hate anime, manga, hentai, and just about all japanese related paraphenilia with a passion. I like Earthbound becuase its different than Generic JRPG set in the medieval times with elves wizards trolls orcs and mages #34342332234

Gigglepoo said:
You must be misremembering. Here are Goldeneye's credits. Miyamoto isn't in there, but as with any Nintendo-published game there are Nintendo producers, executive producers, testers. No Miyamoto in 007, though.

Dragona Akehi said:
Are we really sure of that, though? The US list we now think of as the "before end of year" list we once thought was the launch day list.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I wanna start off by saying that I really enjoy your MTV articles...

But I have to say, coming from someone heavily involved in internet marketing and SEO in particular, the newly redesigned MTV website is pure SHIT.
It's utter crap, from a design perspective, from a user experience perspective, and from a SEO/marketing angle.

Seriously, woa. Who designed that crap?

soundwave05 said:
LOL ... if anything Reggie is going to get a raise at year end. The Wii launch from a business P.O.V. has been more successful than Nintendo could've hoped and the PR wave Nintendo is riding it their largest since maybe the NES era.
I agree with this, by the way. The reason I'm harping on the relatively minor issue of Virtual Console lineups is in part because everything else has been shockingly well-executed.

Also I would not neccessarily assume Reggie gets final say on content availibility for the VC. Rolling out the games slowly smells like NCL all over.
In part, considering they're far from doing a catalog dump in Japan either. But then, why are they getting nearly three times the number of day-one titles we are and about ten times the major hits?

Gigglepoo

JoshuaJSlone said:
You must be misremembering. Here are Goldeneye's credits. Miyamoto isn't in there, but as with any Nintendo-published game there are Nintendo producers, executive producers, testers. No Miyamoto in 007, though.

Sorry, I meant the people who worked on the game. Not the testers and whatnot. Only a handful of people actually coded for the game (animation, sound, etc), which is about 40 less than the Viva Pinata team. I just found that interesting.

Top Bottom