• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat: Dead Rising 4 is not Dead Rising

Tyrus

Banned
Yesssss. CrowbCat is the best. So disappointed in Dead Rising 4 and what's been shown so far. Identity of the series has been scrapped to appeal to the lowest common denominator ("Herp derp I hate timers, herp derp I just wanna kill zombies, herp derp Dead Rising was always as crazy as Saints Row").

Piers

I kind of died when I heard Bizarro Frank reciting old lines from DR1, back in the First 40 Minutes video IGN put up.

RPGam3r

I hate timers so this is by far the most excited I've been for this series. Glad they finally made the right decision.

Harp

Dead rising was cool when it was in a semi realistic setting. And have some cool non realistic but practical weapons and goofy characters. Not it just a hack and slash game with goofy weapons that are everywhere.

nynt9

I hate timers so this is by far the most excited I've been for this series. Glad they finally made the right decision.

I hate that every game has to be the same way and games that try unique things are criticized for it instead of having people appreciate that they're trying something unique and maybe not immediately convenient for the player.

Not every game has to be focus tested to hell. It's ok if some people dislike your game.

Velikost

Damn, they changed more than I thought. I knew about the lack of a timer, the dumb selfie shit, and the return of Frank, but I didn't know psychos are just generic tougher enemies, the night time zombies are gone, and all food just acts as a health pack. I mean, I'll probably pick it up when it gets a deep discount on Steam and play through it in co-op, but it definitely looks like it'll be the weakest in the series.

Dead Rising peaked with 2

What does that mean?

Crowb made a video shitting on 343's direction of Halo which was questionable

The timer was a crucial element of the game design.

I'm not happy with the series going in a completely different direction. The first one is still the best. There is an excellent analyse on youtube which explains many of the misunderstandings to this series/first game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3meGGr0KVZE

Sadly it's only in german.

bigmac996

I feel like with this it'd be best to reserve our judgment until the game comes out. I get that they've changed a lot, but nobody's played through the game to completion to have a well-formed opinion yet. For all we know it could be excellent...maybe.

RPGam3r

I hate that every game has to be the same way and games that try unique things are criticized for it instead of having people appreciate that they're trying something unique and maybe not immediately convenient for the player.

I hate all timers if that makes you feel any better, especially in games with exploration. I don't want all games to be the same (what a massive jump to conclusions), I just want to see timers die a miserable death.

The survival elements of Dead Rising 1 and 2 appear to have diminished, it'll be interesting to see what the final game is like though.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejeIT0MBSac

Dead Rising 4 is shaping up to be a major disappointment to be honest. I'm especially bummed out about the timer being gone, it was a defining element of the last 3 games. That, along with the addition of regenerating health makes it look like zombie Dynasty Warriors to be honest.

DR3 didn't have real timer. It was basically cosmetic.

DR4 is pretty much DR3.5. If you liked 3, you'll like 4.

KorrZ

I liked Dead Rising 3 a lot, if this game is more of that then I'm honestly OK with it.

The time mechanics were never something I missed - in fact I don't think the developer is wrong when he's quoted as saying that some people really liked it but most just found it got in the way.

nynt9

I hate all timers if that makes you feel any better, especially in games with exploration. I don't want all games to be the same (what a massive jump to conclusions), I just want to see timers die a miserable death.

I mean, it puts a weight to your actions. You're not supposed to experience it all in one sitting, you need to make hard choices. Michael Huber's video about time in freeform games is a good one. He references the timer in DR1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGpkePv6BuA

I actually dislike that a lot of games are Jesus simulators where you can do everything and are completely empowered. I like it when a game forces you to compromise and let things go.

Adam_802

Sigh, shame he made a video on DR4 as I personally feel its controversy has been overblown. Changing Frank's voice/appearance/personality definitely sucks, and I wish it wasn't so outwardly goofy, instead more subtle like the 1st would be better. However, I still think as a DR fan, that DR4 looks really good in terms of gameplay, story, map, etc. New Mall looks really amazing, and I'm excited for it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Not every game has to be focus tested to hell. It's ok if some people dislike your game.

You are 100% right.

But this applies to things that IMPROVE a game. The timer held the series back along with the stupid toilet save system. The first game was already good IN SPITE of those 2 elements.

Imagine how amazing it could have been without them?

Yeah

I liked DR3 more than the original two though ;p

Because DR3 is the best one.

I don't understand the timer complaints... just... go play a different game?

Edit: Just to clarify, I meant people complaining about the timer in the original, NOT complaints about it being removed. Geez.

I feel like with this it'd be best to reserve our judgment until the game comes out. I get that they've changed a lot, but nobody's played through the game to completion to have a well-formed opinion yet. For all we know it could be excellent...maybe.

It definitely depends. I mean, a lot of what made Dead Rising its own thing in the previous games is kind of taken away at this point. The timer, hate it or love it, was an integral part of the game design, how the areas were shaped, and how the weapons reacted to the zombies. Longtime fans who wanted another 1 or 2 probably won't find much here.

As a game on its own, it's not blowing me out of the water or anything, but it looks fine. The hitboxes look way better on the weapons, seems like they are making it more of a linear affair in some cases (it's still open world, but the story seems super linear since you don't have to worry about running out of time), using survivors as part of a base building mechanic actually could be neat and give reason to save their ass beyond having them serve as meatshields, and if the humor could be a little less overt with the 4th wall breaking, I could see myself enjoying the story.

I don't see people changing their minds if they wanted Dead Rising, but if they want a zombie slashing game it might be serviceable. Time will tell.

Crowb made a video shitting on 343's direction of Halo which was questionable

CBC made a video with so much selective editing of non-gameplay that it veered on politcal attack ad.

Ah I see. Much of what's presented here is straight from the horse's mouth, so it's not too bad.

Hoje0308

Banned
Yesssss. CrowbCat is the best. So disappointed in Dead Rising 4 and what's been shown so far. Identity of the series has been scrapped to appeal to the lowest common denominator ("Herp derp I hate timers, herp derp I just wanna kill zombies, herp derp Dead Rising was always as crazy as Saints Row").

The lowest common denominator consists of people that like to assume those with different preferences are blithering idiots. You're getting on your high horse about a game that allows you to dress up in a bikini while killing zombies with a wheelchair tank.

RPGam3r

I mean, it puts a weight to your actions. You're not supposed to experience it all in one sitting, you need to make hard choices. Michael Huber's video about time in freeform games is a good one. He references the timer in DR1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGpkePv6BuA

I actually dislike that a lot of games are Jesus simulators where you can do everything and are completely empowered. I like it when a game forces you to compromise and let things go.

I know why it exists, and I still don't like it. I have enough timers on my day, hell just playing games is a timer. I don't need them built into my game too.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I don't understand the timer complaints... just... go play a different game?

So games should never improve on things that hold back the potential of a series?

If more devs listened to folks that want shit mechanics kept in games, we never would have got Assassin's Creed 2.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Its good that Capcom is changing the series in an attempt to improve it rather than rehashing it.

BigEmil

Never played DR1 but when he showed that DR1 trailer and the ganeplays of everything of it at the end of the video feel like playing it now seems interesting

SkyOdin

You are 100% right.

But this applies to things that IMPROVE a game. The timer held the series back along with the stupid toilet save system. The first game was already good IN SPITE of those 2 elements.

Imagine how amazing it could have been without them?
Dead Rising 1 was the best BECAUSE of the timer. The time pressure and time-based events were the key to the game's fun factor.

nynt9

I know why it exists, and I still don't like it. I have enough timers on my day, hell just playing games is a timer. I don't need them built into my game too.

I mean, to me, without timers DR is nothing. It's just a worse version of Dying Light. So people asking for it to be removed is just asking for it to be changed in a way that redefines the series in a negative way. It doesn't have to appeal to everyone or be stress free. It's (or at least it used to be) a survival game. Games like that are tense. They're not about empowerment and letting you do everything you want.

I'm just lamenting the loss of a unique series.

Jawmuncher

I've been trying to give the game a chance. But what I'm seeing just isn't appealing to me as a DR fan. Not even just the timer. A lot of the changes just don't gel with me.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Dead Rising 1 was the best BECAUSE of the timer. The time pressure and time-based events were the key to the game's fun factor.

Not for the majority it seems.

The timer and the Save system prevented me from truly loving and even completing the game.

DR3 is the only one I've fully completed. Because the game encourages me to.

Top Bottom