• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
watchdogs2sysreqsyqxfq.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
Computer Base (German; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
Guru3D (English; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)
TechPowerUp (English; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Benchmarks (NV), settings comparisons, and recommended settings (NV): See Nvidia's tweak guide. (Credit to AndyBNV.)
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Enable support for bluetooth adapters, DLL injectors/external hooks and possibly other stuff that ought to work: Disable the game's anti-cheat system by launching it with the command -eac_launcher. (Credit to PHOENIXZERO.) To do so if launching the game through Uplay, right-click it -> click "View game details -> select "Properties" from the menu -> click "Add launch arguments" -> input -eac_launcher into the field; if you have the Steam version, right-click it -> click "Properties" -> click "Set launch options" -> input -eac_launcher into the field. Alternatively, if you're running either version via a desktop shortcut, you can achieve the same result by righting-click it -> clicking "Properties" and adding -eac_launcher to end of the target field, separating the two with a space.
Note: Disabling EAC will also completely disable the the multiplayer component.
Fix aspect ratio issues on 4K/UHD TVs: Follow the instructions here. (Cried to Paz @ Steam Community via jackft.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Video adapter: Self-explanatory
Window mode: Windowed; Borderless window; Fullscreen borderless; Multimonitor borderless; Fullscreen
Display: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Monitor refresh rate: Self-explanatory
V-sync: Off; Normal; Sparse
FPS limit: Off; 30 -> 125 in increments of 5
Field of view: 70° -> 110° in increments of 2°
Pixel density: 0.5 -> 1.5 in increments of .05
Menu position: Self-explanatory
Multimonitor HUD: Auto; Fixed aspect; Fit to display

Graphics quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra; Custom
Geometry: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Extra details: 0% -> 100% in increments of 5%
Terrain: Low; High; Ultra
Vegetation: Low; High; Ultra
Texture resolution: Low; Medium; High; Ultra (requires the optional UHD texture pack)
Texture filtering: Low; High; Very High; Ultra
Shadows: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra; PCSS; HFTS
Headlight shadows: Off; Your car; 2 cars; 3 cars; 4 cars
Water: Low/High
Reflections: Low/High
Screenspace reflections: Off; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Dynamic particles: Off/On
San Francisco fog: Off/On
Depth of field: Off/On
Motion blur: Off/On

Bloom: Off/On
Ambient occlusion: Off; SSBC; HMSSAO; HBAO+
Temporal filtering: Off/On
Multisample anti-aliasing: Off; MSAA x2; MSAA x4; MSAA x8; TXAA x2; TXAA x4; TXAA x8
Post-process anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; SMAA; SMAA T2x

JaseC

To unlock it early via VPN:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install FlyVPN (20-minute session limit) TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (500MB bandwidth limit).
3) Connect to a server that isn't in Japan
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

For those with the Uplay version, I assume unlocking the game is a simpler matter of connecting to a server and restarting the client.

Edit: No longer necessary.

Corpekata

Banned
No luck VPNing with Uplay version but then again I'm not sure if they're on top with it releasing exactly on time yet.

JaseC

I bet Ubi set it to unlock in Australia at midnight AEST rather than AEDT. That or the Origin AU unlock time is actually accurate across all platforms and Ubi AU was woefully incorrect.

DarKshodaN

i just noticed that the origin version has no preload, guess that is the price i have to pay for getting it so cheap :(

Soren01

"Temporal Filtering renders the game at half-resolution with 2x MSAA. In other words, a 1920x1080 picture is rendered at 960x540, and 2x MSAA is applied to smooth out the now-rougher edges."

How would it work at 1440p (720p)?

brau

i just noticed that the origin version has no preload, guess that is the price i have to pay for getting it so cheap :(

Same. Says it doesn't unlock the preload until tonight at 9pm. By then the game is out haha.

At least i got it for cheap like you said.

Will that VPN thing work with Origin?

JaseC

Err, I need an activation key, which would be fine if only the game came with one. It's supposed to automagically register to my Uplay account but evidently Ubi forgot to update the game to this new system.

Edit: Never mind.

Err, I need an activation key, which would be fine if only the game came with one. It's supposed to automagically register to my Uplay account but evidently Ubi forgot to update the game to this new system.

oh wow

is Uplay still down- it was for me earlier USEast Coast (didnt think about this)

ISee

Sorry I'm a bit confused here. The game came without a serial key?

JaseC

Sorry I'm a bit confused here. The game came without a serial key?

Yeah. With the new system, you don't need them as instead Uplay detects your Steam licence and registers the appropriate product accordingly. Or rather, that's what it's supposed to do.

ISee

Yeah. With the new system, you don't need them as instead Uplay detects your Steam licence and registers the appropriate product accordingly. Or rather, that's what it's supposed to do.

There was an option how to check your key on steam. But I don't remember how and I can't install steam at work.

JaseC

There was an option how to check your key on steam. But I don't remember how and I can't install steam at work.

Right, that's the way things worked previously, but with the new system, Ubi no longer needs to provide Valve with keys and so there's no "View CD key" option when right-clicking or a CD Key link when using Detail View.

ISee

Right, that's the way things worked previously, but with the new system, Ubi no longer needs to provide Valve with keys and so there's no "View CD key" option when right-clicking or a CD Key link when using Detail View.

OH. Now I get it. (sorry)
That's just awful.

I just got an email with my key

Nothing here yet, not that it matters anyway. But thx for answering.

dragn

trying to unlock uplay version with thailand vpn, gonna take a few min as i had to locate the game folder and it said missing files

Corpekata

Banned
trying to unlock uplay version with thailand vpn, gonna take a few min as i had to locate the game folder and it said missing files

What do you guys mean by locating the folder? Is it prompting you for it?

Also did any of you Uplay folks get it from the Samsung or Nvidia promos?

vakarian32

Just loaded the game up for a quick test, only played for 1 minute as I need to get to sleep.

i7-6700k, 16gb ddr4, gtx 1080. 2560x1440, driver 375.95

It was sitting at around ~65fps with the Ultra preset and HBAO+. Going to test it properly tomorrow after work, hopefully it's all good.

Yes I got my code with my GPU, it's unlocked for me in Aus now.

dragn

What do you guys mean by locating the folder? Is it prompting you for it?

gamepage only showed as download and there was a locate button below, my key is from nvidia

Corpekata

Banned
Hmm, can't get Uplay VPN to work. I mean, the VPN is working, like the shop will show Australian prices, but the game just says Preordered in my library.

Wonder if maybe has to do with the source of the copy (Samsung promo for me)? Dunno.

JaseC

Hmm, can't get Uplay VPN to work. I mean, the VPN is working, like the shop will show Australian prices, but the game just says Preordered in my library.

The game hasn't unlocked in Australia or New Zealand, just South-east Asia.

Wonder if maybe has to do with the source of the copy (Samsung promo for me)? Dunno.

Have you tried opening the install location of the game and running the .exe whilst VPN is active?

Shari

Can someone give precise instructions on how to unlock the uplay version?

What countries/vpn are valid or not rather than giving general guidelines?

Thanks.

Corpekata

Banned
Have you tried opening the install location of the game and running the .exe whilst VPN is active?

I did, there's a brief splash with Marcus for like 10 seconds, and then it closes.

Uplay flashes in the task bar like it wants to tell me something (I presume a "game is not out" error) but nothing actually changes.

brau

Will that high res texture pack be available on Origin?

Also any way to unlock the game on Origin using VPN?

This can't be downloaded just yet as the app is still private. Good lord, Ubi. Get your ducks in a row before releasing a game.

to be fair, the game's only supposed to be released in a specific region/s at the moment, give them a chance to roll it out.

JaseC

to be fair, the game's only supposed to be released in a specific region/s at the moment, give them a chance to roll it out.

Ubi has direct control over this sort of stuff and the game unlocked in SEA almost an hour ago.

Top Bottom