• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

RK128
(01-09-2017, 07:33 PM)
We reported on this on 3WIREL but this is sad news :(.

Platinum was making a big game here and if it's really scrapped, that is really bad news for the studio.
Sorcerer Supreme

Originally Posted by O Canada Our Home and Native Land

One of signs a game bombed is if it sees massive price reduction like Wonderful 101. That didn't happen with Bayo 2.

reprinted copies sold at $30 and at one point target was clearing them out for $15
Alienous
At least there's a diverse line-up of Halo and Gears of War games to look forward to.
Ushiwaka
Not surprised if it turns out to be true. They have been awfully silent about it after Gamescom 2015 (I guess?) and the game looked rough. Platinum was too ambitious (and had too many projects on their hands all at once) and MS probably meddled in the development way too much. Also Kamiya seemed to have some beef with MS (in Gamescom 2015 they didn't want him to show the game on stage or something, can't remember correctly but he was pretty pissed).

Anyway, its sad to see more than 3 years have gone to waste :/ Hope the damage isn't heavy on PG and Kamiya starts a new project soon.
Nasreddin
Where is my God Hand 2?
Bummblue
(01-09-2017, 07:34 PM)
Seriously, who is signing off on these games at Microsoft?

This would be the third time in under a year that a Microsoft game has been canceled: Fable Legends, Phantom Dust Remake (on indefinite hold)....now this.
moltonasty
Don't console makers usually want MORE exclusives...? Like even if the game wasn't going to set the sales charts on fire it still gives incentive to buy an Xbone as an exclusive
Ray Down

Originally Posted by notaskwid

Also killed No Man's Sky.

Sean did that.
cw_sasuke

Originally Posted by Enter the Dragon Punch

Eurogamer confirms. Cancelled.

....well....damn.
//DEVIL//
You can't really blame me on this . This could be another true fantasy live or whatever it was called where level 5 were getting funded by Microsoft to finish the game and they were barely making any progress in it and they were developing their own games.

I remember reading something like that long time ago when it was canceled and ever since I don't like level 5 for that shady tactic .

But I do agree that this is a shitty year for Xbox only gamers. They have maybe like 2 games or so that are high profile .

The good thing is project Scorpio is coming and MS will sure as hell brag about how awesome the game runs on Scorpio native 4k etc . But yeah exclusive gaming ? It's almost dead for them and that is just bad business
Blackquill

Originally Posted by Gator86

This really is a terrific post. I never realized the cult of personality around Kamiya was so strong.

Because this guy seems like a great dude and has basically earn only sucess when developping games as a director ?
Mdk7
Sequel dreams killed
by Graham Hopper
A friend of mine told me this a few days ago, but I had hoped he would have been wrong.
I am sorry for Kamiya, but honestly the game never looked too hot.
SprachBrooks
I think today is the most amount of hits the Scalebound website has received since it was created lol.
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
lapdance transform pants
DO IT, SONY. DO IT!
Chairman Yang
if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Phew, for a second I was scared that this would be announced to also be coming to the PS4.
LordKano
Banned

Originally Posted by True Fire

But Star Fox Zero was so amazing, Nintendo obviously wants more of that Platinum goodness

Lmao, are you even serious ?
Tertullian
Well... at least their console plays 4K blu-rays.
IDontBeatGames

Originally Posted by shinobi602

Yea, heard it's been canned. Super rough development, milestones missed, payments stopped. Kamiya stressed as hell.

And there it goes :/
GeoramA
Banned
Damn, it looked so promising at Gamescom 2015. But after E3, I didn't like the direction it was headed in. Should have just kept it single-player like Horizon.
Miker
The new Dead Phoenix.
Anung

Well that's it. The only reason I kept my Xbox around is canned. It'll be getting punted to CEX ASAP.
Piers

Kamiya must be in a wreck at the moment, yikes
NESpowerhouse

And there you have it.
Toki767
That E3 2014 conference may as well have just not even happened for Microsoft.

Fable Legends, Phantom Dust, Scalebound, and Crackdown 3 all shown off that year and haven't come out yet or got cancelled.
Omega Kirby

Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley

Let's put it in perspective

The combat designer for Vanquish retired and is now a farmer.

Platinum Farm Simulator
icespide
Banned

fuck
Enter the Dragon Punch

Originally Posted by Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew

DO IT, SONY. DO IT!

ok first off ms owns the ip
Obliterator
cousin investments

Welp it's dead Jim. RIP
Jaded Alyx

Originally Posted by PositiveGamer

Console exclusive. We don't count PC.

Who is 'we' and why not?
Theorry
"Work on the game took a serious knock last autumn, Eurogamer sources say, when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

These project members then returned, but Scalebound was now behind schedule. With continuing issues surrounding the game's engine and overdue deadlines, the decision was made that the project could no longer continue.

It's unclear whether Scalebound could still be revived by Platinum, but as we understand it, work on the project as we know it has now concluded."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...lopment-ceased
RichiRamjag

Originally Posted by TeamGizzy

As an Xbox fanboy it upsets me that whenever I see/hear 1st party announcements from MS that I have to worry that they are bad - or even release at all.

While on the other side Sony announces game -- game is developed --game comes out -game is fun and sells

Just jealous :(

Then don't be a fanboy and enjoy what every company offers if possible.
D i Z

Originally Posted by hughesta

Nier being a turd is more unlikely than Nintendo buying Scalebound.

Yeah, I'll wait for feedback when the game drops before I fork over for that one. Nier gets no passes.
Dee Dah Dave
Seems about right. That game would struggle to sell half a million from what I saw of it.
bobbychalkers
(01-09-2017, 07:35 PM)
Damn damn damn. Hopefully Platinum makes it out ok.
jayu26
This thread needs to calm the fuck down. Xbox brand is not going anywhere, in fact they are releasing Scropio this year. Scalebound looked bad and definitely needed work. If it is completely gone then that does not mean that Xbox is dead. Although Japanese support might as well be.
Lactose_Intolerant
I lost interest when they showed the headphones on the main character.
jbug617
from Eurogamer

Work on the game took a serious knock last autumn, Eurogamer sources say, when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

These project members then returned, but Scalebound was now behind schedule. With continuing issues surrounding the game's engine and overdue deadlines, the decision was made that the project could no longer continue.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...lopment-ceased
Jigorath

Okay it's done.

What a heartbreak.
TissueBox

Originally Posted by Zedark

Damn, that's rough :(

Can someone explain to me the implications for Platinum Games? How bad a situation would they be in if this report turns out to be accurate?

Nriolak's post:

Originally Posted by Nirolak

I imagine this will be an issue for Platinum.

1.) They have over 200 staff, presumably at least half of which were making Scalebound.
2.) Nier Automata is about to go gold, and Yoko Taro makes it sound like it's not going into sequel mode right away.
3.) Activision killed off their licensed game division, so that's not an option anymore.
4.) They have the Gran Blue Fantasy project and Lost Order, but I'm assuming that was going to take on Nier's staff given Kamiya wasn't attached to it.

Now they need to get a project from someone on a short turnaround for a ton of staff in an era where that kind of thing is pretty hard to do, and they were struggling to get contracts even when that was less true.

InquisitorAles

Originally Posted by Crossing Eden

How often do publishers ever provide extensive details on a cancelled project?

That is my point. They probably won't do this.
Ray Down

Damn this game was in development longer than XV!
Mass_Pincup

Originally Posted by Sumio Mondo

Man Microsoft are cancelling or delaying everything this gen it sees like. Phantom Dust cancelled. Crackdown 3 delayed. Fable Legends cancelled. Scalebound possibly cancelled. WTF is going on?

They really to step up their first party efforts, it's so mediocre for me when stacked against Sony's. But yeah this game looked like a mess so I can't really blame them here.

Kind of funny that Spencer the saviour managed to have a worse track record regarding Games compared to the much hated Mattrick.
D4Danger

It's just a little airborne
it's still good
Tecnniqe
Would die a thousand deaths just for one gun

Originally Posted by Relaxed Muscle

Maybe the one jumping to conclusions is you.

nope still there

Edit: God damn Eurogamer >.<

Uncle Phil please
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
lapdance transform pants

ok first off ms owns the ip

BUY IT FROM MS!

Kamiya's Twitter has been awfully quiet lately. I guess we know why... :(
Markoman
Banned

Originally Posted by Peltz

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Kamiya fans (I'm an expert), but expecting tons of funding for poor selling games is a huge part of it. It's not like it is with other devs where you can become successful by having a marketable concept. If you cancel a Kamiya game you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that Kamiya's dozen fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase an Xbox One, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games on PC. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated like 12 or or so people with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and uncancel Scalebound for Xbox One or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Not all men are alike. What if those 12 count as 12m? Imagine what 12 Console-warz Che Guevaras may accomplish!
michaelius

Originally Posted by Jonneh3003

Why did Microsoft announce these games? Fable Legends, Scalebound, Phantom Dust...There's clearly a problem here.

They were desperate to turn xbox one around and announced everything they had in development on single E3.
Magic Mushroom

Originally Posted by Sinatar

Without rationale? Microsoft has a giant graveyard of amazing studios they've completely and utterly fucked over throughout the years. There are few companies I trust less and I fully expect that they've shit the bed again.

Remember this is a publisher so toxic that Bungie took all their royalty money from the immensely successful Halo series and *bought themselves* to get the fuck away from Microsoft. When has that ever happened? This is just 1 example of many.

Yes. We don't know if all the blame is on Platinum.

Stuff like the MP, which basically no Platinum game had bar Anarchy Reigns, always struck me as sonething the publisher wanted.
Reverend Funk
Comfy Penetration
Damn feels like its been forever since we got a kamiya game