• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

v1oz
(01-13-2017, 11:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Movalpolos

They look like businessmen that are completely out of touch.

LOL. Even the dude that came out in a Splatoon costume?
No_Style
Doesn't want to make an
ass of himself
(01-13-2017, 11:54 AM)
I'm a fan of Koizumi's swag.
Honey Bunny
(01-13-2017, 11:56 AM)
Koizumi is one bad motherfucker
VGdrumCovers
(01-13-2017, 11:57 AM)
Can we see the lovely face of the English translator?
Social
(01-13-2017, 12:02 PM)

Originally Posted by v1oz

Especially him
Sadist
(01-13-2017, 12:03 PM)
Koizumi is a boss
Jyester
(01-13-2017, 12:34 PM)
Great write-up! I admit I've been too focused on the old guard to really get to know the "new" people. Koizumi seems like a guy who gets it. I never liked Miyamoto's insistence on keeping story completely out of his games. Zelda specifically has been in need of a narrative overhaul.

And who cares if he's excited to be in the spotlight for the company? Who wouldn't be, especially considering his career?

Originally Posted by Gurgelhals

That was during Suda51's bit, right? I mean, Suda51 is an eccentric dude. I don't speak Japanese, so I just assumed that he was indeed saying lots of unscripted and untranslatable weird Suda51 stuff on stage and the translator just went "WTF???!?? PLZ HELP!!!"

That translator-BSoD was the best bit of the presentation, btw.

That was my impression too. Felt bad for the guy, although it almost sounded like he gave up at some point. The other translator(s) obviously had a clear script to work with whereas Suda probably decided to wing it.
Blobbers
(01-13-2017, 12:36 PM)
Koizumi is the best Nintendo presenter since ever. He should host every direct.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(01-13-2017, 12:55 PM)
Koizumi kicked ass. Squid research guy only other side I recall

Part of me really hopes koizumi is actually an amateur magician
Aegus
(01-13-2017, 12:56 PM)
Nice to put faces to the names of some of the people who should be looking for new jobs in 4 years time.
ShockingAlberto
(01-13-2017, 12:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Aegus

Nice to put faces to the names of some of the people who should be looking for new jobs in 4 years time.

I mean, if anything, Kimishima will be dead or retired. He is quite old.

Most of the people that were presenting were the newer generation, or at least post-Miyamoto and such.
Schopenhauerian
(01-13-2017, 01:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Jyester

Great write-up! I admit I've been too focused on the old guard to really get to know the "new" people. Koizumi seems like a guy who gets it. I never liked Miyamoto's insistence on keeping story completely out of his games. Zelda specifically has been in need of a narrative overhaul...

Interesting to note that Koizumi has been publicly disagreeing with Miyamoto on this subject since at least 2007. Collected some of the elementary facts into a recent post, and would certainly be interested to hear from folks who know more of the pertinent details/history.
Fritz
(01-13-2017, 01:06 PM)
I dig Kawsmoto's style
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
(01-13-2017, 01:09 PM)
it was a good show also because of this
and the software output those are collecting for the console is pretty nice and varied honestly
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(01-13-2017, 02:41 PM)

Originally Posted by v1oz

Movalpolos didn't even watch this thing, he's just trolling for no reason.
Lumyst
(01-13-2017, 04:35 PM)
Seeing the "new faces" of Nintendo was what I looked forward to most from the presentation, some of the people I recalled by name from Iwata Asks, but I wanted to see how they were, whether they would be unafraid to be fun and goofy like Iwata was and I'm so glad that they were willing to be goofy (and Kimishima willing to play along with the snapping thing)! Koizumi's presentation of the AR aspects of the Switch helped me to understand, I recall rumors back in late 2015 that NX might have an AR focus but I was unable to visualize it until Koizumi's presentation.
Jpop
(01-13-2017, 04:37 PM)

Originally Posted by RoombaDance

Bill Trinen let the new translators have a go at it. He'll be keeping his job.

What do you think of the new crowd? Nuke from orbit if bad thread.

Trinen's face is screaming, " I've made a huge mistake."
TheGrue
(01-13-2017, 04:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Jintor

Koizumi kicked ass. Squid research guy only other side I recall

Part of me really hopes koizumi is actually an amateur magician

Funny thing is when he first came out, I made a joke to my son that he was the official Nintendo Magician. Then he actually became that. Was hilarious.
KojiKnight
One of those men (besides Kimishima obviously) are being prepped to be the new president. Still think Trinen would do well as NoA CEO... Nintendo hasn't had a westerner on their board of directors since Howard Lincoln left right?

Either way, his stepping back probably nabs they have more in store for him.
Instro
If nothing else this was one of the bright spots of the show. Rather than Miyamoto Miyamoto Miyamoto, they are actually giving their important producers/directors a real chance at spotlight.
themagicalkitsune
(01-13-2017, 04:41 PM)
Glad to see Koizumi getting some exposure, for all intents and purposes I see him as Nintendo's future.
vareon
(01-13-2017, 04:44 PM)
This is the time when Miyamoto is on an Apple stage instead of Nintendo's. Nice change.
Jpop
(01-13-2017, 04:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Instro

If nothing else this was one of the bright spots of the show. Rather than Miyamoto Miyamoto Miyamoto, they are actually giving their important producers/directors a real chance at spotlight.

Nintendo's been trying to give spotlight to the new guys for the past couple of years right?
Tom Nook
(01-13-2017, 04:47 PM)
Great write up.

Looking forward to the new faces on future directs.
Shahadan
(01-13-2017, 04:50 PM)
Koizumi was imposing. Looks like a cool mafia boss or something.
Handled serious and light stuff well and wasn't boring. Should be president.

Nogami has the Miyamoto craziness we need.

Kimishima looked lost.

EA guy didn't even say hello and seemed annoyed to even be here, lol
Smellycat
(01-13-2017, 04:50 PM)
Yeah I like Koizumi! He oozed confidence and seems to know what is up.

The translator on the stream was so bad lol I am not quite sure if it is because Suds was speaking gibberish or if it was because the translator is new. He reminded me of the "Boom there goes the dynamite" video
Big One
Banned
(01-13-2017, 04:53 PM)
Koizumi isn't really a new face despite this being his first public appearance. He's been around since the early days of Nintendo's game development. He's a legend.

He's the one that wrote the script of story for Link's Awakening and directed Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, Jungle Beat and many other fantastic games.
Booker.DeWitt
(01-13-2017, 04:55 PM)
man, one thing that I paid attention is that they dress themselves horribly. god damn it, there was a dude with a mustard suit with short pants. my 4 year old can do better.
Lumyst
(01-13-2017, 04:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Big One

Koizumi isn't really a new face despite this being his first public appearance. He's been around since the early days of Nintendo's game development. He's a legend.

I take "new face" to mean the front-facing representatives of Nintendo. But I've known of him since Mario Galaxy.
Tookay
(01-13-2017, 04:58 PM)
I really liked Koizumi's stage presence. Glad to see his role expanding at the company.
Gurgelhals
(01-13-2017, 04:59 PM)

He's the one that wrote the script of story for Link's Awakening and directed Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, Jungle Beat and many other fantastic games.

And he invented Z-targeting for Ocarina of Time. That alone makes the man a genius.
heringer
(01-13-2017, 05:01 PM)
I liked the japanese Benicio Del Toro.

Esiquio
(01-13-2017, 05:02 PM)

Originally Posted by RoombaDance

Yoshiaki Koizumi, your MC for the night, was the real star of the show. He has an impressive pedigree, from sneaking backstory into Miyamoto games to directing Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Super Mario Galaxy. He went on to serve as the head of the Tokyo based Software Development Group 2, responsible for 3D Mario games. He serves as the Deputy General Manager of Nintendo Entertainment Planning & Development, which oversees all Nintendo game development. And of course is now General Manager for the Switch. If this post has some truth to it I have a feeling you're going to like him.

WHOA. WHOA, I love this man. Unrestrict him and let him do whatever he wants, seriously.
entremet
(01-13-2017, 05:07 PM)

Public facing, though.
Soph
(01-13-2017, 05:09 PM)
Koizumi has great charisma
mantidor
(01-13-2017, 05:11 PM)

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

The impression I got from Koizumi tonight is that he absolutely saw this as his chance to be the new face of a multi-billion dollar international company.

Well it helped they gave him basically the whole presentation.
HappehLemons
(01-13-2017, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Movalpolos

They look like businessmen that are completely out of touch.

Koizumi is a OG and developed a ton of slam dunks.
opricnik
Banned
(01-13-2017, 07:18 PM)
Kouzimi looked scary to me
oatmeal
(01-13-2017, 07:24 PM)
Meet the new face, same as the old face.

Imagine working at Nintendo and having ambition.
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(01-13-2017, 10:32 PM)

Originally Posted by oatmeal

Meet the new face, same as the old face.

Imagine working at Nintendo and having ambition.

Imagine having a clue what one is talking about :)

All of these guys have made big leaps in the last few years.
Apathy
(01-13-2017, 10:33 PM)
Like none of them felt like they had any personality.
NathanS
(01-13-2017, 10:34 PM)
Koizumi was so dapper.
The Silver
(01-13-2017, 10:35 PM)
Can't see the president as anything but an old Yakuza boss
LiK
(01-13-2017, 10:35 PM)
Koizumi is legit extremely dapper. I think he was a good choice to host it.
Ogodei
(01-13-2017, 10:38 PM)
Nogami's got good swagger.
Gurgelhals
(01-13-2017, 10:45 PM)

Originally Posted by The Silver

Can't see the president as anything but an old Yakuza boss

If anything, this is a description that fits Hiroshi Yamauchi a lot better:

Though looking at old photographs of him, "utterly terrifying evil overlord" might describe him even better. Yamauchi was scary as hell. Kimishima, on the other hand, comes across as a kindly old uncle in comparison.
Shikamaru Ninja
任天堂 の 忍者
(01-13-2017, 10:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Apathy

It took Iwata and Miyamoto a long time to get to greatness in stage. Most of these guys are just beginning their international PR presence.
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(01-13-2017, 10:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Apathy

you're parodying your username here, right? lol

srsly, some of the shit you guys are saying here today. wow^^
HardRojo
(01-13-2017, 10:57 PM)
Koizumi seems nice. I don't know if he speaks English or at least some of it but it'd be really nice to see him presenting all conferences from now on.
Edit: And Directs too, he'd be a great fit.
Revolutionary
(01-13-2017, 11:01 PM)
All I could think of when watching the 1-2 Switch producer was "he needs to tailor his goddamn pants"