• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY16 Results

dracula_x

→ https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q3_sony.pdf

Game & Network Services (G&NS)

Sales increased 5.2% year-on-year (a 15% increase on a constant currency basis) to 617.7 billion yen (5,325
million U.S. dollars). This increase was primarily due to an increase in PlayStation®4 (”PS4") software sales
including sales through the network and the contribution of PlayStation®VR which was launched in October 2016,
partially offset by the impact of foreign exchange rates as well as the impact of a price reduction for PS4 hardware.

Operating income increased 9.9 billion yen year-on-year to 50.0 billion yen (431 million U.S. dollars). This
significant increase was primarily due to PS4 hardware cost reductions and the above-mentioned increase in PS4
software sales, partially offset by the effects of the price reduction for PS4 hardware. During the current quarter,
there was a 1.4 billion yen positive impact from foreign exchange rate fluctuations.

n880hj4.png

PS4 hardware sales in Q3 – 9.7M
LTD – 57.1M

→ https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/16q3_supplement.pdf

2IePExE.png

they need to ship about 2.9 M in Q4 to meet expectations – http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-05-24-sony-predicts-20m-ps4-sales-in-fy2016

Crazy that 10 years ago this day Sony's FY results for their gaming division could be read as: "We're so fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked"

Welfare

57.1M consoles shipped, yet 53.4M actually sold through. Almost 4 million unsold consoles going into Q1. Will be very interesting to see if this was purely so that they could hit 60M by the end of the fiscal year.

I actually forgot about that and chuckled, but seriously stop this. It's not funny anymore.

Also woo, its good to see the playstation do well, it only gives me hope for what to expect in the future in terms of games.

I dont know how to feel about this

The chuckle was enough to validate my existence.

Angst

57.1M consoles shipped, yet 53.4M actually sold through. Almost 4 million unsold consoles going into Q1. Will be very interesting to see if this was purely so that they could hit 60M by the end of the fiscal year.
Clearly they're just shipping them to fill a landfill in Arizona.

/S

WetWaffle

And Sony is now in the semiconductor business apparently. But still great sales. Even beat a PS2 record according to Zhuge.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
What the hell, they had a 1 billion dollar write down in their movie division. Every year it seems another division spoiling the profits.

Oh well gaming seems to be at a good place, so that's good news for us.

kennyamr

Amazing job again, Sony.

Gratz.

Oft, that Sony Pictures hit is hard to look at. And Q4 is only going to drag it down further.

Kazuo Hirai will take the reins of Sony Entertainment/Pictures momentarily this year while they search for a new subsidiary CEO...
so we will see if he can improve it just like he did with the rest of Sony as a whole.

Top Bottom