• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 4.5 - Official Wallpaper sharing thread

Hoo-doo

Banned
So, for the lucky ones who are already in the PS4 update 4.50 beta, i'd figure we share some of our favorite wallpapers to use with the PS4 XMB.

To use images as your wallpaper, browse to any wallpaper website like wallhaven.cc and fullscreen screenshot the one you want. Then add it under themes in system settings.

I personally like clean wallpapers that make for a nice, legible and uncluttered UI. Some examples:

newznjlo.jpg

ehwls2nmyjt0.jpg

82f357fd7d6992b86b6942wj1b.jpg

I'm currently updating my PS4 so i'll share some screenshots of the XMB soon, feel free to share some wallpapers you'd think would work with the PS4 XMB.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
None to share yet since I'm still stuck at work with a beta code lol, but GREAT idea for a thread!!!! I'll be checking it later for sure after I get it setup.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think I'll be using this Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone pic as my WP. Looks amazing and is not too cluttery to mess with the icons.

thewitcher3_wildhuntcfwb7i.png

Ogawa-san

You should probably post thumbnails with a link to the full images. Opening a thread full of 1080p pics on the PS4 browser will make it cry.

You could possibly (if the wallpapers you want are your mobile device) send them to a friend via the PS chat app and then log into your PS4 and go to the convo, screenshot the image and then set it as your wallpaper.

That's what I did with banners for PS4.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I tried out a few wallpapers just now.

20170203224140_livujxm.jpg

20170203231120_liyvkum.jpg

The process is far from ideal. I miss the PS3 method of just immediately snapping a new background. But it works fine once you figure it out.

Still bummed about the blue boxes though. Damn shame.

The process is far from ideal. I miss the PS3 method of just immediately snapping a new background. But it works fine once you figure it out.

So sexy

Im sure theyll let u use a usb in the next update.

And yeah hopefully they can start allowing Ui customization to get rid of the boxes and shrink icons

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
To use images as your wallpaper, just put them on a USB stick, open the images in Image Viewer and take a screenshot. Now you can add it as a wallpaper in settings.

Simpler to just browse the images in the PS4 Browser. No? Or send them to yourself in a message and open them on the console.

How did u use the wallpapers here?

What site? The wallpaper i find isnt fullscreen or its blurry because i try to zoom in

NYR

Can you keep a theme and change the wallpaper? I like the boot up sound on the 20th anniversary theme, but could go for a new wallpaper.

The icons are Rasterized elements, not vectors, so you cannot apply any kind of color adjustment to them.

Oh, I see. I'm not really privy of the details behind the theming engine. Pretty weird decision, there - using vectors would've been much more flexible and with modern archs, they're pretty much free to draw. They'd have to rejigger the whole thing then. Or go the half-assed way and implement an API to do HSL transforms to the existing rasters. Nasty stuff (that I've done before, but the least we talk about it, the better).

Ogawa-san

Can you keep a theme and change the wallpaper? I like the boot up sound on the 20th anniversary theme, but could go for a new wallpaper.
Nope :(

If you use a custom wallpaper the rest of the UI will be from the vanilla theme, sounds and icons included.

tr00per

The icons are Rasterized elements, not vectors, so you cannot apply any kind of color adjustment to them.

Ah :/ thanks for the info

This. Keeping the music and icons while switching the background would be perfect.

Padinn

How do you get this to work? Do I try to open it in media player? I don't seem to have another "image viewer."

well, anyone using a browser can certainly grab these if you need something cropped for the UI that should look good with blue tiles . . . also because I never get rid of ANYTHING.

These are all cropped for console user interface.

Also, holy shit past me, I did this artwork in 8K and downsampled it to native 4K way back in the halcyon days of 2011!

Ah, memories . . .

Awesome!

Doomguy84

I'm gonna need to do some digging, but when I get that 4.50 Im def gonna try and find some high quality Doom and Doom II cover arts. Is the limit 1920x1080?

Top Bottom