• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Makers Trailer - Doc about game dev with Kojima, Druckmann, Hennig, JRaymond

FelipeMGM

Variety will air the documentary on YouTube starting on the 15th Looks like the whole 10 episodes will air in a week. Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwsRfuw9DDI

”The Game Makers: Inside Story" is a 10-part digital series that explores the unique process of storytelling, design and directing in the constantly evolving industry. Told from the perspective of 15 video game luminaries (behind some of the biggest franchises and influential indie breakouts) the series examines the choices and challenges faced in creating narrative for cutting-edge games and their iconic characters.

Among the creators featured, the series spotlights interviews with:
Will Byles (Until Dawn)
David Cage (Detroit: Become Human, Heavy Rain)
Jenova Chen (Journey, Flower)
Ian Dallas (What Remains of Edith Finch, Unfinished Swan)
Mary DeMarle (Deus Ex series)
Neil Druckmann (The Last of Us series, Uncharted series)
Brian Hastings (Ratchet & Clank series, Edge of Nowhere VR)
Amy Hennig (Untitled Star Wars project, Uncharted series)
Hideo Kojima (Death Stranding, Metal Gear Solid series)
Matt Korba (King's Quest series)
Jade Raymond (Upcoming Star Wars Battlefront, Assassin's Creed 1&2)
Dominic Robilliard (Farpoint VR, Entwined)
Sean Vanaman (Firewatch, The Walking Dead)
Ru Weerasuriya (Lone Echo VR, The Order: 1886)
Kiki Wolfkill (Halo series)

The series is directed and created by Jennie Kong. It is produced by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences and Wonderstruck Entertainment in association with Beyond-FX and Blindlight.

"The Game Makers: Inside Story" series debuts on February 15 2017.

Auctopus

Looks great, looking forward to watching it. I don't believe some of those creators deserve to be held in the same regard as some of the others, I think I'd be more excited if the scope was smaller and focused on the actual visionaries.

Also, there's something I still don't completely trust/get about Jade Raymond. I like her, she seems nice and she seems to be behind the scenes on some big stuff but whenever she talks about something, it feels PR-ey and a little vapid.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Would have been nice to see a few more Asian developers on this but its a pretty stacked list of developers none-the-less. Still would have been nice seeing someone like Kamiya for his... interesting perspective on things.

swit

Sounds very interesting, will definitely watch it.
Amy Hennig (Untitled Star Wars project, Uncharted series)
what about Soul Reaver? ;( That game is her greatest achievement, imo.

Plum

Would have liked a bit more variety; there are too few PC and Asian developers and the more "story-based" games of the industry are way too prevalent. I'll still give it a watch though, looks interesting.

jett

D-Member
Seems to be entirely focused on story. Not super-enthused about that, but I'm intrigued enough to watch.

joms5

Also, there's something I still don't completely trust/get about Jade Raymond. I like her, she seems nice and she seems to be behind the scenes on some big stuff but whenever she talks about something, it feels PR-ey and a little vapid.

Same here. I've never understood why she's made a name for herself. It probably doesn't help that I haven't cared for almost any of her games. It's impressive that she's been behind the launch of some huge franchises, but they always seem to over promise and under deliver.

Can't wait to hear what Amy Hennig has to say. I'd love to have an hour to sit down and pick her brain.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention David Cage. I know he gets a lot of hate from people but I really enjoy his perspective. And what he says at the intro is so true of games in general.

Peru

Every big studio producer will sound PR-y. 'Not trust' is a weird choice of words.

stryke

Would have liked a bit more variety; there are too few PC and Asian developers and the more "story-based" games of the industry are way too prevalent. I'll still give it a watch though, looks interesting.

That's the whole point of the series.

mlclmtckr

Banned

I mean she was a key player in the Assassin's Creed franchise which is one of the most vapid and focus-tested IPs going (especially back then) so I guess it makes sense.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Question to everyone: How do you become a video game director?

Hideo Kojima: Hard work and determination.

Neil: You push the original director out.

Amy Henning: Cries.

2San

Seems pretty story centered. Blergh. I do like some of the names on there, but that's because they take care of gameplay as well.

This will be very interesting.
Looking at those names I'm expecting a lot of contrast between the different views and thought processes.

Top Bottom