• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suikoden VI on Wii?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g23

European pre-madonna
- Konami's Suikoden producer Takahiro Sakiyama mentioned that the development of Suikoden VI has already began, the game may have references to a previous Suikoden game.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game20061017.shtml

People think that it might appear on Wii:

* Sakiyama didn't confirm the platform the game is being developed on. Maybe it's because of a new platform instead of PlayStation 3? (Could also be Xbox 360, or multiplatform.)
* Konami previously announced an "untitled RPG" for Wii. What if it's Suikoden VI?
* Final Fantasy XII director Yasumi Matsuno has said that Wii is "perfect for RPGs" and is making a new RPG for Wii. Maybe Konami shares his attitude?
* Wii is already getting a number of RPGs from Nintendo, Square Enix, Koei etc, so it will be a console that will have an established number RPG players.
* Suikoden has previously appeared on a Nintendo platform in the form of Suikoden Card Stories for the GBA.
* Suikoden 1 wasn't a PlayStation exclusive and Konami has supported all of the current consoles and is already supporting all the new consoles, with the most support behind Wii with 7 games.
* Suikoden has never been a graphics-intensive game, and has normally appeared on a platform weaker than the competition (PlayStation and Saturn versus Nintendo 64 and PlayStation 2 versus Xbox and Gamecube).
* Suikoden games have supported one-hand playing (all except Suikoden IV and Tactics), and the Wiimote is designed to be used with one hand.

There would be many possibilities of using the Wiimote in a Suikoden game. For example, it could be used to make battles faster with selecting commands and enemies, used to draw a figure for using Runes, and in many minigames, like fishing (which is already featured in a few Wii games) and maybe even the cooking contest (taking into account that Wii already has a Cooking Mama game).

So, what do you think and what kind of features could a Suikoden for Wii have?

http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20793

To me that would be awesome. Suikoden has never been a graphically intensive game and I see no reason for it to be on PS3.....for Wii however, all sorts of possibilities pop up like how drawing runes, etc would be awesome.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
All the reasons are pure speculation and don't give a logical reason about why it would be on Wii.

And without Himuro here to react this type of announcement is useless. :p

Kevtones

Yum.

Suikoden V was AWESOME.

Elebits got Konami off to a great start on the Wii, this, if true, would qualify as momentum...

just some speculation?

I dont really care for this series but wasnt it already announced for ps3...I think thats where it will appear anyway

peace

bumpkin

I haven't played a Suikoden since the original... I was knee-deep in other RPG's (FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX) when the second one dropped. How has the series been since?

Avalon

Damn. :/

I kind of wished the next Suikoden would be on the PS2.

I haven't played a Suikoden since the original... I was knee-deep in other RPG's (FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX) when the second one dropped. How has the series been since?

Fairly good I would say. Most people seem to hate IV though.

bluemax

Banned
Testicular Sound Express said:
interesting. I'm not into RPGs anymore, but Wii needs them to succeed in Japan. I hope it has some unique features though. Drawing runes does not make me say Wow.

It does? How many RPG franchises actually sell reasonably well? 2? One of which is headed to the DS already...

g23

European pre-madonna
Avalon said:
Damn. :/

I kind of wished the next Suikoden would be on the PS2.

Fairly good I would say. Most people seem to hate IV though.

I think the developer already stated that V was the last PS2 Suikoden, and the next one will be on a next-gen console

I get a bitter taste from that sort of reporting. Even the support they use for their speculation is based on other speculation (notably Matsuno on Wii; sure it's likely but I haven't seen it made official anywhere).

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I think all those reasons are really weak except the first.

I agree with this.
No wait, I think all of their reasons are weak. :lol

I guess it could happen though. But I don't understand the argument that Suikoden games have always been graphically weak. It was valid for Suikoden I and II, but the PS2 games looked kind of good I thought. Or at least, the games aspired to look good but partly failed (with unstable framerate, image quality lacking etc), maybe because of incompetent devs? :p
Character animation was awesome in both Suikoden IV and V though, some of the best animation I've seen last gen.

bumpkin said:

Many people agree that Suikoden II is da bomb diggity.

As for the main question, with Dragon Quest IX going to the DS, all bets are off.

Its one of a handful of series that I think could make sense on a Nintendo platform.

There are certain types of games that Nintendo haven't done the best job of filling in the blanks for, and third parties haven't made much of either... and there are certain brands that if made exclusive (even time exclusive), I think the Nintendo fanbase could/would rally around and support as though they were first party games.

I've got a feeling Dragon Quest 9 may pull in some surprisingly good numbers in the West when its released... providing Nintendo pimp it enough in magazines / online.

Zeed

Banned
Kiriku said:
I agree with this.
No wait, I think all of their reasons are weak. :lol

I guess it could happen though. But I don't understand the argument that Suikoden games have always been graphically weak. It was valid for Suikoden I and II, but the PS2 games looked kind of good I thought. Or at least, the games aspired to look good but partly failed (with unstable framerate, image quality lacking etc), maybe because of incompetent devs? :p
Character animation was awesome in both Suikoden IV and V though, some of the best animation I've seen last gen.
I absolutely loved Suikoden I and II, II ranking highly as one of my favorite RPGs ever. The graphics never bothered me, but they were something you'd expect out of the SNES rather than the PS1. I thought that Suikoden III looked complete shit, but still thoroughly enjoyed it. The graphics got better from there, even if the games got worse overall. IV was definitely a low point for the series.

g23

European pre-madonna
Kiriku said:
I agree with this.
No wait, I think all the reasons are weak. :lol

I guess it could happen though. But I don't understand the argument that Suikoden games have always been graphically weak. It was valid for Suikoden I and II, but the PS2 games looked kind of good I thought. Or at least, the games aspired to look good but partly failed (with unstable framerate, long loading times, image quality lacking etc), maybe because of incompetent devs? :p

I'm all for a Wii Suikoden, but if they do make it for PS3 and they absolutely get rid of loading times between battles, get rid of loading times at all....then that would justify the purchase of a PS3 right there.

Imagine...RPG's without loading times between battles...

Andy787 said:
Suddenly people pretend they care about Suikoden again.

* looks at Shenmue avatar *

Aww, forget it.

Anyways, people HAVE still cared about Suikoden. Maybe not with the same kind of regard as back in the Suikoden II days, but still quite a bit.

Furoba

Would really increase the Wii momentum if true, and with Nintendo getting Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, it doesn't seem too far fetched IMO.

Kevtones

Andy787 said:

Suikoden 9/10
Suikoden II 9.5/10
Suikoden III 8/10
Suikoden IV 4/10
Suikoden Tactics 5/10
Suikoden V 9/10

Only two shit entries, the rest were very good.

Kevtones said:
Suikoden 9/10
Suikoden II 9.5/10
Suikoden III 8/10
Suikoden IV 4/10
Suikoden Tactics 5/10
Suikoden V 9/10

Only two shit entries, the rest were very good.

Yeah, more or less. IV was just a serious blow for fans, and Tactics wasn't THAT good...although it was indeed better than IV.

edit: I do remember Suikoden Tactics having some excellent music.

No, I feel the game should go to PS3. Suikoden I -V, and Tactics were on Sony platforms, and it should stay that way, since most Suikoden fans are PlayStation supporters.

I heard that Konami's Wii RPG was something else. I don't think the Wii remote would work right for RPGs. Personally, I rather just use a standard PlayStation controller.

I actually liked Suikoden IV, mostly because of the fast paced battles. I liked Tactics, but I feel there are some balance issues. I think every Suikoden is good. My favorite is probably the fifth.

KurowaSan

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I think all those reasons are really weak except the first.

so true.

* Konami has previously released games for nintendo consoles
* They just released a game for the Wii
* Konami has supported Nintendo consoles since the NES.

could happen, why not, but i guess the safest bet is to assume it will be for ps3 (it also has a TBA rpg from Konami)

g23 said:
Did they ever bring the Suikoden 1/II pack for PSP to the USA?

Nope. Though those were apparently straight ports.

I think both games will eventually hit the Playstation Network though.

TreIII

* Final Fantasy XII director Yasumi Matsuno has said that Wii is "perfect for RPGs" and is making a new RPG for Wii. Maybe Konami shares his attitude?

Always have heard this, but where's the confirmation? Even if it wouldn't have the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre tag, I'm sure a Matsuno game could turn out to be gold any way...

Getting back on topic...I can honestly say that I've never played Suikoden before. I guess more of attention was just on other things, including the likes of Vandal Hearts.

But hey, I'd be willing to be given an incentive to look into this series if one was coming out for a system I stand to own. :)

Kevtones

FateBreaker said:
Yeah, more or less. IV was just a serious blow for fans, and Tactics wasn't THAT good...although it was indeed better than IV.

edit: I do remember Suikoden Tactics having some excellent music.

Yeah it did. Very good.

Playing Suikoden IV and Tactics did make it a bit more tolerable for fans considering the ties between them. V was a sweet jolt for the series, I really enjoyed that game.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mana Knight said:
No, I feel the game should go to PS3. Suikoden I -V, and Tactics were on Sony platforms, and it should stay that way, since most Suikoden fans are PlayStation supporters.

I heard that Konami's Wii RPG was something else. I don't think the Wii remote would work right for RPGs. Personally, I rather just use a standard PlayStation controller.

I actually liked Suikoden IV more than III, mostly because of the faster battles. I liked Tactics, but I feel there are some balance issues.
Actually RPGs are perfect for Wii since they are so menu based, but I do agree that Suikoden is better suited for PS3 where the fanbase will likely end up.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
g23 said:
I'm all for a Wii Suikoden, but if they do make it for PS3 and they absolutely get rid of loading times between battles, get rid of loading times at all....then that would justify the purchase of a PS3 right there.

Imagine...RPG's without loading times between battles...

Yeah, I shouldn't have mentioned loading times among graphical complaints but...I agree. The loading times made Suikoden V a royal pain at certain spots. I liked the game quite a lot but...I almost went mad at times. :/
RPGs without loading, why that sounds like FFXII! Between battles at least. :lol :(

In any case, I hope they do something different with Suikoden VI, because after finding everything in Suikoden V and spending a shitload of hours on it I feel kind of Suikoden'ed out. :/
So perhaps it would be for the best if it went to Wii actually. But of course, they could also do something different on PS3 since the RPG genre isn't neccessarily in a dire need to innovate through controls (at least not the turn-based ones).

Mana Knight said:

I actually liked Suikoden IV more than III, mostly because of the faster battles. I liked Tactics, but I feel there are some balance issues.

What about Dragon Quest and its sudden exodus from Sony though? Besides, I would sooner say that many Suikoden fans merely followed the system that had the series' games than say that Suikoden fans were PS fans. I know of at least a few people who feel that way.

And about the controllers, Suikoden games have often been playable with just one hand. I think they could pull that off with the Wii-mote.

g23

European pre-madonna
jj984jj said:
Actually RPGs are perfect for Wii since they are so menu based, but I do agree that Suikoden is better suited for PS3 where the fanbase will likely end up.

I disagree, Suikoden fans are series loyalists not sony loyalists. Most bought a ps2 because it was comptetively priced and most don't think 600 bucks justifies even a suikoden game.

d[-_-]b

Banned
jj984jj said:
I thought fanbase followed the game not the console.

ethelred

Mana Knight said:

Nintendo Fans Circa 1995 said:
No, I feel the game should go to N64. Final Fantasy I - VI and Dragon Quest I - VI were on Nintendo platforms, and it should stay that way, since most FF/DQ fans are Nintendo supporters.

Aye it really felt like a return to its roots. I may of still loved III, and was able to endure IV enough to get a lot of it, but they definitely weren't akin to I and II like V proved a 3D Suikoden could be. Very underrated soundtrack imo as well. Every now and again I'll listen to it agaom in-game and it always leaves an impact on me, whether it's just my hair on end or a dose of nostalgia.

Avalon

d[-_-]b said:
I thought fanbase followed the game not the console.

Why do you think SE hasn't bailed out on Sony right now when the Wii is a much more "safe" console at the moment?

Durante

Andy787 said:
I just voted Suikoden V second in the GOTY thread earlier today, so I guess I have proof that I genuinely do care. I care so much in fact that it doesn't matter to me which platform they choose. I'll own them all at some point and then I'll play the game.

Still, after the very nice artwork and character design of Suikoden V I'd prefer them to put it on one of the more powerful consoles - yes, just because I like nice graphics.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
cartman414 said:
And about the controllers, Suikoden games have often been playable with just one hand. I think they could pull that off with the Wii-mote.

They could absolutely pull it off, since it doesn't require many buttons anyway. But I think the Sixaxis would probably work well one-handed too, since it's wireless and very light.

Shouta

I'd like a Suikoden VI with graphics like Blue Dragon. Too bad that'll never happen even if the game was announced for PS3 or 360. ;(

d[-_-]b

Banned
Durante said:
I just voted Suikoden V second in the GOTY thread earlier today, so I guess I have proof that I genuinely do care. I care so much in fact that it doesn't matter to me which platform they choose. I'll own them all at some point and then I'll play the game.

Still, after the very nice artwork and character design of Suikoden V I'd prefer them to put it on one of the more powerful consoles - yes, just because I like nice graphics.
lol then why was it on the ps2 at all.

ethelred

Shouta said:
I'd like a Suikoden VI with graphics like Blue Dragon. Too bad that'll never happen even if the game was announced for PS3 or 360. ;(

Even on the PS2, Suikoden has always been amongst the most low-budget of all the major RPG franchises. It just doesn't sell anywhere near enough to justify more than that.

Shouta

ethelred said:
Even on the PS2, Suikoden has always been amongst the most low-budget of all the major RPG franchises. It just doesn't sell anywhere near enough to justify more than that.

What are the sales of Suikoden V overall anyway? They did a really nice job with the graphics and animation for that actually.

ethelred

Shouta said:
What are the sales of Suikoden V overall anyway? They did a really nice job with the graphics and animation for that actually.

Around 220k in the US and Japan.

And, eh... I dunno how nice a job they did. Battle graphics were okay, but nothing particularly good (only decent character models, though the animation was good). Cutscenes were your standard low-budget RPG fare (about on the same level as Wild Arms 4), but they had the exact opposite problem as the battle graphics (stuff looked good, but the animation was poor and choppy and the cutscene direction overall was really week). Backgrounds and environments were really poor and were designed like it was a 2D game still, but they used poor 3D stuff to do it on the cheap.

Actually, just checked. Here's what I wrote back in April:

Suikoden V's graphics are passable, but hardly anything unduly impressive for a late-generation title. Character models are just decent, the camera is fairly awkward, and nothing really stands out from a technical perspective. On the other hand, the art direction is very high quality, and so even if cutscenes aren't technically impressive, they're still pleasing to the eye thanks to the excellent artwork.

Love, love the series (and anyone who doubts this can feel free to go look up the Suiko V official thread), but it's very low budget as big RPGs go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom