• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has taken back potentially stolen Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spy

On a seperate note, I am going to take down the vid.me videos. There are plenty of reuploads out there anyway and I dont want to risk Nintendo coming after me any more than they already have. I am already out of a Switch and the money I spent on it. But I hope that I have helped answer some questions and gotten people more excited for the console!

Not sure if I can really talk about it but I will say Nintendo has the console back and I am personally not in any trouble. Other than being out a console and the money I paid for it which really sucks with all the bills I have right now but it isn't going to be the end of the world or anything.

Again, I probably cant talk about details but after knowing what happened I don't necessarily think Nintendo is wrong for wanting the console back and the people I dealt with have all been very nice and reasonable. And again, I am not in any trouble but didnt feel like pushing my luck by keeping the videos up.

Technically that is correct. and I might see that money at some point but reading up on it I would probably end up in small claims court which would probably cost more than I would get. So it isn't that I couldn't get the money back, just that I probably wont.

I would rather not stir up any negativity with Nintendo right now honestly. And I wouldn't be surprised if they get me a replacement console or something. It just hasn't been discussed as of yet. I'm not angry with them so other people dont need to get angry with them on my behalf..

Im sure after some time is passed I can clarify some stuff. I would just rather be on the safe side atm.

I know he doesn't want Nintendo to get bad press but this should be known.

UPDATE

Well I am a barista and we dont usually carry Nintendo products at the cafe. And I am sure it is frustrating that I cant share more details but I am not sure what I can or cant share. For the sake of clarification I will say that I don't think the person I got it from knew and therefore I certainly didn't know but somewhere down the chain some switches had "mysteriously disappeared". So while it was unknown to me, once I found out that it had probably been stolen I did't feel comfortable keeping it.

UPDATE

lnuqNUs.png

If a mod feels this thread should be locked, feel free to do so as discussion has started to derail by users not reading the updates

_woLf

Just to clarify, this was an ordinary preorder from a retailer, right?

Or was it a press one?

That to me is what will define this and Nintendo's behavior for me.

Nintendo can't just "take back" a console that someone legally paid for from a retailer. Really thinking he was press or a youtuber and broke embargo.

Ridley327

hiphoptherobot just posted this in the other thread:

Well I am a barista and we dont usually carry Nintendo products at the cafe. And I am sure it is frustrating that I cant share more details but I am not sure what I can or cant share. For the sake of clarification I will say that I don't think the person I got it from knew and therefore I certainly didn't know but somewhere down the chain some switches had "mysteriously disappeared". So while it was unknown to me, once I found out that it had probably been stolen I did't feel comfortable keeping it.

It sounds like the guy he got it from may have been involved in some shady stuff, if perhaps unknowingly.

ReyVGM

Hopefully he made money off his videos because I find it completely idiotic to have done what he did so close to release and fully knowing Nintendo (or any other company) would have not liked that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They came to his house and took it? I'm having a tough time buying this.

Edit: I see. Looks like it was a hot unit he had.

Wtf man. We don't even know how he got the system in the first place, but yeah it's "fuck Nintendo" like we know this hiphop guy personally...

Yaranaika

wtf? This is stupid.
Why would he even respond to Nintendo asking for the unit back?
If a company ships you something, even wrongly, you don't have to give it back, especially if you paid for it.

Edit: ok, so it was probably stolen...never mind.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's not his fault he got shipped a product that he legally paid for early. What's he supposed to do, gag himself?

Edit: oh, it was stolen? :x

Wait, hold on: I've seen the videos and all the news attention that came from the unit coming into dude's possession, but I'm not 100% familiar with the story?

I was under the impression dude pre-ordered the unit, the unit was accidentally shipped early, delivered successfully, and that's how/why he was able to make the videos he made.

Is that what happened?

If that's what happened, how the hell does Nintendo (or anyone) get to tell the guy he can't keep it? He bought it. It was delivered. That's a completed transaction.

I'm confused.

edit: as I was typing the details surrounding the acquisition were posted.

Huh.

Not

Banned
That sucks that he's out the money. I do hope he gets a replacement. Only fair, it wasn't his fault.

How did he even get the console?

Was it legally?

And how did Nintendo confiscate it?

Did they send goons, police, what? How can they simply "take it back?"

Seik

Banned
Eh...what?

They took back the console but didn't refund what he paid for it?

What the fuck?

Edit: Oh...if it was stolen, then sure...I thought it was case of a retailer failing to wait launch before shipping units.

cheez124

this is crazy, not his fault the place he ordered from messed up and shipped it early. hopefully he gets his money back at some point

EDIT: never mind, seems like he got it through some shady people then? in that case, i guess i can see why nintendo would confiscate it

JayBabay

I'm almost certain he's going to be reimbursed, but how did this all go down with them reacquiring the console? Hopefully we get more details because I've never heard of something like this happening.

EDIT: Never mind about the reimbursement, sounds like it wasn't obtained in the most honest way? I just remember reading something about buying it from a retailer who mistakenly let it go early and believed it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Could we calm down and actually wait until we get some more info, because this sounds shady as all hell lol

EDIT: oh

Taken it back how? Where did they even get his address from? What could they legally do to force him to comply? We're missing so many details from this story it's hard to wrap my head around it

Neoxon

Yep, it was stolen.

Nintendo did the right thing.
Either way, Nintendo should at least throw hiphoptherobot a bone for getting screwed out of $300 due to the whole situation.

I mean, I get that they don't have to, but it'd be nice.

goldenpp72

People are really, really stupid. I can't believe anyone just thinks Nintendo basically stole from this person, there is clearly more to this than we know, it doesn't take much thought to see why.

Biske

This is why you don't post about things on the internet.

I dunno his situation and posts above makes it seem like he got it from a guy who got it through shady means, and not a simple "best buy sent it early kind of thing"

Which it has to be something shady.

If I ordered online from amazon, best buy, who ever, and got it early, and was talking about it and Nintendo wanted it back? I'd be like fuck you, fight me.

If it was stolen or shady stuff, then thats more complicated.

Eh...what?

They took back the console but didn't refund what he paid for it?

What the fuck?

I don't think this is confirmed in any way but it definitely sounds like the console was stolen or obtained through other less than legal methods. So it's not as if he just bought it legally from a Target or local game store that fucked up and broke street date, and Nintendo swooped in and confiscated the hardware and didn't provide a refund.

If you bought a stolen item on Craigslist and the police got involved and took it back, it's not like you'd be refunded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom