• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting out of rest mode requires restarting the TV on PS4 PRO

Greetings. When I turn on the PS4 PRO while TV is turned on, it starts normally but when I put the PS4 PRO on rest/sleep mode and keep TV turned on, when I get ou of rest mode, nothing happens and the console screen doesn't show up.
The only way to get it is to turn off the TV and switch it on and that is when I get the sceen.
This never happened before on PS4.
I tried to identify the source of the problem. I disabled HDR on the console, nothing changed. Boost mode, same.
When I disabled UHD HDMI color on the TV, I didn't need to restart the TV after waking up from sleep mode, but this doesn't solve the problem since it does disable HDR.
One thing was left is to roll back to 4.07 firmware and to my big surprise, the problem didn't occur anymore. So I thought the 4.50 update was corrupt and redownloaded it and installed it. The problem seemed to be gone but after few tentatives, it came back.
I didn't find what to do, so I rolled back to 4.07 again but this deprives me from the 4.50 features like boost mode, external HDD and so on...
Did this problem happen to you too?
Do you know a solution for that?
Where can I report this to Sony to correct for the final release of the update?
Thanks.

Edit: Why Sony just WHY?
Why didn't you resolve this problem in the full 4.50 release ?

Now I can't roll back to 4.07 which didn't have that problem. I reported that bug to the official beta bug report but it seems they didn't listen. To whom should I report it now?

I'm on the old firmware and I have this too.

Disabling HDCP means I can't use Spotify, so that's not really an option.

It's HDMI handshake-related, I think.

What TV do you own?

I'm on the old firmware and I have this too.

Disabling HDCP means I can't use Spotify, so that's not really an option.

It's HDMI handshake-related, I think.

What TV do you own?

Samsung TV.

I don't think this is related to the TV or HDMI like I mentioned since the problem is related to 4.50 Beta firmware only. In fact, like I mentioned too, redownloading the Beta firmware solved the problem but after few tries it came back. Something is not going well with the firmware.

Samsung TV.

I don't think this is related to the TV or HDMI like I mentioned since the problem is related to 4.50 Beta firmware only. In fact, like I mentioned too, redownloading the Beta firmware solved the problem but after few tries it came back. Something is not going well with the firmware.
Not sure that means anything, tbh.

It doesn't happen 100% of the time with me either. Sometimes it works fine, other times the screen stays black. I'm on Panasonic, btw.

Not sure that means anything, tbh.

It doesn't happen 100% of the time with me either. Sometimes it works fine, other times the screen stays black. I'm on Panasonic, btw.

The problem is that turning off the TV and restarting it each time because of sleep mode hurts the TV and gives washed out colors. That is why I roleld back to the previous firmware since I don't want this to happen all the time which is a pain.

The problem is that turning off the TV and restarting it each time because of sleep mode hurts the TV and gives washed out colors. That is why I roleld back to the previous firmware since I don't want this to happen all the time which is a pain.

Wait what? Turning the thing off and on hurts your TV and leads to washed out colours?

That...sounds really unlikely.

kuYuri

This is an issue I had even before the 4.5 beta. When coming out of rest mode, the Pro will sometimes not display any video unless I fully turn off the console and reset my video settings via safe mode. I believe it might be some kind of HDMI handshake issue as well, but not 100% sure.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I never had that happen but I'm not on the beta firmware. Can report back when 4.5 rolls out for everyone.

(I don't have a UHD TV, in case that matters.)

Have had this happen with my Samsung KS8000, but all I do is switch inputs a few times and it comes back. Happened before the beta, actually haven't experienced it since I've been in the beta.

Wait what? Turning the thing off and on hurts your TV and leads to washed out colours?

That...sounds really unlikely.

Mostly when I disable UHD HDMI color trying to solve this problem in 4.50 Beta. Maybe due to HDR being disabled / enabled instantly which messes up the TV.

Kinan

Have the same problem on 4.50 beta as well. Wasnt fixed in beta3, sadly, hopefully will get fixed in the release one.

Have the same problem on 4.50 beta as well. Wasnt fixed in beta3, sadly, hopefully will get fixed in the release one.

How so if Sony doesn't get notified about this? We need many to report this to Sony before they release the final update otherwise we will need a longer time to get fixed.

Andrefpvs

I get this as well every now and then, but I fix it by unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable from my PS4 instead.

Edit: I have a 1080p Sony Bravia from the early 2010s.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
HDMI handshake issue I believe. It happens to me every now and then, I usually just have to switch to another input and then back again.

I've heard this problem reported on both Samsung and LG TVs. It's some kind of HDMI handshake issue. Firmware updates have cured it for most people from what I've heard. Others may find it helpful to try different HDMI ports on the TV or go through a receiver.

I have this issue as well on my lg. I just dont put my pro in rest mode anymore, which sucks when i want to download something over night

shandy706

Does just turning your TV off and back on not work?

Can you not just switch inputs?

I guess I'm asking if you have to unplug the TV like some kind of cold start...haha..?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have been using rest mode through out the last entire weekend on my Pro, no issues reported here.

isn't there a setting on the ps4 that allows you to control your ps4 with your tv remote (like turning it on when you press on on your tv)

maybe turn that off

farisr

For me, the Pro in general (not just the beta firmware) has had seemingly HDMI handshake issues and will require me to power the TV off and off, maybe once in every 5 or 6 boots when I have 4k resolution enabled, and maybe once in every 10 boots if I have the console at 1080p (which I honestly only tried to see if it was the resolution causing the issue.

But nothing absoluely consistent, and nothing has seemingly changed in the beta either.

Rest mode is no different.

I will note this only happens on my 4KTV.

My 1080p projector has shown no issues like this at all. So possibly a HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 related issue.

Dinosur

I've had this problem and some other handshake issues with the Pro and 4k tv (JS9000) but it only happens when psvr is plugged in. That processor/breakout box is a piece of garbage.

Like even just closing netflix will cause the screen to go black for five seconds if vr is plugged in (and not even turned on). Instant when not.

Does just turning your TV off and back on not work?

Can you not just switch inputs?

I guess I'm asking if you have to unplug the TV like some kind of cold start...haha..?

Switched inputs but that doesn't work and especially if port 1 is needed for HDR.
Unplugging the HDMI cable is like restarting the TV, but this is even more painful to do every time.

isn't there a setting on the ps4 that allows you to control your ps4 with your tv remote (like turning it on when you press on on your tv)

maybe turn that off

Tht option was always disabled.

Varth

I did everything.
The problem seems to be releated to 4.50 Beta only.
Dunno if this happened to others too.

So I'm not the only one. Managed to fix it most of the time by switching the TV on THEN the console, but yeah, it's annoying.

Not sure it's due to 4.50b, though. I seem to recall this starting some days before installing, but I may be mistaken.

EDIT: Pro console, Samsung trash TV

There's something really screwed up with the PS4's HDMI. I've had two consoles (original and slightly redesigned original) and both don't get along with either my TV or my receiver. I have to turn the TV and receiver to the PS4 inputs BEFORE I turn on the PS4 or it'll either never show any picture on the TV or I'll get intermittent video and audio dropouts. God help me if I tried to use Remote Play before turning to the correct inputs, too.

Edit: I'm on no beta. This is just an always thing for me.

I still think you should disable HDCP. It fixed all of the handshaking issues I had.

What do you mean by handshake issue that everyone is talking about. I never heard about it before. Do you mean the HDMI cable is worn out because of over plugging and unplugging it by hand which causes that issue?

Kyoufu

What do you mean by handshake issue that everyone is talking about. I never heard about it before. Do you mean the HDMI cable is worn out because of over plugging and unplugging it by hand which causes that issue?

That black screen stuff you're talking about, that is caused by HDCP and should be disabled.

Disable HDCP.

Protocol7

I have a Samsung TV (latest model, latest EU firmware), with PS4 Pro / 4.50 beta 3, never had an issue. Works flawlessly.

This problem only appears to happen in Samsung TV's, right?

Dunno. I didn't try on another TV.

I have a Samsung TV (latest model, latest EU firmware), with PS4 Pro / 4.50 beta 3, never had an issue. Works flawlessly.

It's neither a faulty TV nor a faulty console. This problem never happened on PS4 on same TV before and never happened on PS4 PRO until the 4.50 update with all its variations that saw the light.

Nah all the Betas worked well for me mate

Only 4.50 with all its betas and now the official firmware had that problem. Now I can't roll back to 4.07. I wonder what is causing this problem in 4.50 code. I wished they would fix that in the final release. Now it seems this will be forever and I don't expect this to be solved even in future firmware updates.

Only 4.50 with all its betas and now the official firmware ahd that problem. Now I can't roll back to 4.07. I wonder what is causing this problem in 4.50 code. I wished they would fix that in the final release. Now it seems this will be forever and I don't expect this to be solved even in future firmware updates.
Sony always releases stability updates shortly after their main firmware updates precisely to fix the bugs that they may have brought, so this will most likely be fixed soon enough.

Maggo007

My normal PS4 with beta firmware seems to wait for my TV to be switched on before booting into the menu from rest mode but it will also boot, but with about 30 seconds delay when I don't switch on the TV. I can hear the startup sound from my sourround system.

Top Bottom