• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Khronos VR standard to be named OpenXR - first architecture details

Durante

The VR initiative by Khronos just got a name: OpenXR

https://www.khronos.org/openxr

They also published some architecture descriptions/images. I find this most interesting:
2017-openxr-api-298uug.jpg

As you can see, compared to the initial illustrations, there is now a middle layer where "platform" vendors can plug in their own runtime system. From the application side, there is a uniform standardized interface applications talk to, and from the hardware/device side there is a unified device layer that drivers talk to:

It seems like a clean architecture from a software perspective, and like a very promising design from a consumer perspective. It should allow you to mix and match applications, runtime systems and hardware devices to get the VR experience closest to what you want.

jmga

I made a thread and nobody cared :(

I'm not sure how well this middle layer will work.

For example, let's say I want Asynchronous Space Warp in my HTC Vive with my Steam games, but SteamVR runtime doesn't support it.

Will I simply be able to replace SteamVR with Oculus Runtime in order to have ASW?

Both will supposedly be working against OpenXR device layer so it should be no problem, but Oculus shitty attitude tells me it won't be that easy.

Durante

I made a thread and nobody cared :(

I'm not sure how well this middle layer will work.

For example, let's say I want Asynchronous Space Warp in my HTC Vive with my Steam games, but SteamVR runtime doesn't support it.

Will I simply be able to replace SteamVR with Oculus Runtime in order to have ASW?

Both will supposedly be working against OpenXR device layer so it should be no problem, but Oculus shitty attitude tells me it won't be that easy.
Yes, I assume some vendors will be more accommodating in that aspect than others.

That said, by the time any of this is reality and running on your PC, SteamVR will probably have some kind of spatial reprojection ;)

vermadas

Relevant GDC panel

Refocusing on VR Innovation: Can Standards Simplify Cross-Platform Virtual Reality Development? (Presented by The Khronos Group)

Sponsor Speakers:
Cass Everitt | Software Engineer, Oculus
Joe Ludwig | Programmer, Valve
Nick Whiting | Technical Director, Epic Games
Devin Reimer | CTO, Owlchemy Labs
Yuval Boger | CEO, Sensics, Inc.
Alon Or-bach | Senior Standardisation Engineer, Samsung Electronics
Kaye Mason | Sr. Software Engineer, Google
Date: Tuesday, February 28
Time: 11:20am - 12:20pm

The rapid growth of the virtual reality market has led to platform fragmentation, forcing applications and engines to be ported and customized to run on multiple VR systems. This slows the widespread availability of compelling VR experiences, creates added expense for developers, and consumes resources that could be better spent on innovating.

This panel discussion will consider the challenges of bridging between VR platforms, and to what extent standards could ease the pain to drive more innovation in the hardware and software spaces. Come hear about how Khronos APIs such as Vulkan and OpenGL ES are already enabling low-latency GPU rendering, as well as the potential of the recently announced Khronos VR Initiative to grow the virtual reality ecosystem by standardizing access to common functionality in VR systems. This will be an interactive session, so please come armed with questions – and your tales of platform porting pain!

Takeaway
An overview of the challenges of developing VR in a diverse ecosystem, and how standards such as Vulkan and the Khronos Virtual Reality Standard Initiative can help reduce the pain of cross-platform porting.

Intended Audience
Virtual Reality game developers and engine programmers interested in targeting multiple platforms.

If I understand this correctly, is this kind of like an official ReVive that any SDK (on board) can run through and should work on any HMD (on board)? Is that correct?

Durante

If I understand this correctly, is this kind of like an official ReVive that any SDK (on board) can run through and should work on any HMD (on board)? Is that correct?
Well, in a way. I'd liken it more to OpenGL, except for VR devices rather than GPUs.

Thraktor

The OpenXR name is kind of interesting, are they intending for this standard to also encompass augmented reality and mixed reality?

Nzyme32

The OpenXR name is kind of interesting, are they intending for this standard to also encompass augmented reality and mixed reality?

In the above interview, that is the case. They expect that it will encompass more than VR in future, though the current focus is VR.

Thraktor

I suspect that it's mostly because the "OpenVR" name had already been claimed.

But this is OpenVR. Valve gave it to Khronos, who are now continuing its development as an open standard. The fact that they've changed the name indicates that they're looking to broaden things to include AR and MR in the future.

In the above interview, that is the case. They expect that it will encompass more than VR in future, though the current focus is VR.

That's good to hear, I'll have to give the interview a listen later.

Edit:

Neat. Seems the supporters has also increased, and now even includes Sony

cLOV6zU.png

Now that's surprising, I really hope this means I can get PSVR functionality with an OpenXR headset in the future (although I'm not holding my breath).

Top Bottom