• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch does seem to record activity data, unlocks after a week.

octopiggy

Weebos

Banned
Not as good as the Activity Log, but I'll take this. This is the most useful part of the Activity Log anyway.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Well, that means the data is there. They still can make a proper Activity Log with it later (in theory, don't have much hope).

we are far from the awesomeness of the 3DS activity log though. That's a big step backwards.
I'm amazed at the total amount of time I put on the 3DS activity log.

Soph

When I looked at that Last played part first I thought it wouldn't be weird if Nintendo added an activity log there.. then it seemed like it was already in.

Where was that activity log whinethread again?

Berordn

The most important thing is that we know it's being tracked, so they could add a more detailed log like on 3DS or Wii U down the line.

Some people were getting really worked up over the lack of an Activity Log on Switch... Never understood that myself, but hopefully this solution will suffice for now.

Listonosh

"100 hours or more" makes it completely useless though.

It seems to update every five hours you accrue. Mine said 70, then when I checked it later it said 75, so the "or more" just refers to the hours in between the 5 hour increments. Not bad at all

L~A

The most important thing is that we know it's being tracked, so they could add a more detailed log like on 3DS or Wii U down the line.

We've known that since launch. The Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app doesn't calculate anything, it gets all the play time from the Nintendo Switch itself.

That's... pretty darn neat! I'm still confused as to what the title means by "unlocks after a week".

For some reason, actual playtime doesn't show until a week after you've first played a game. Really weird.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mine still only shows "First played on XXXX", but if it switches to hours played after some time, great! But it only shows it in rough increments, right? Does it increase every 25 hours, or...? Also, that screen says the list can contain a maximum of 20 games when you click the ? icon. I hope that's just the maximum displayed games on your profile, not the maximum it will track.

Either way, not great, but better than nothing, and hopefully this means they can implement a proper activity log in the future (without me having to use parental controls to see my own playtime), and that it can use the data that's being recorded now.

DoubleYou

It seems to track further than that. Some have '115 hours or more". It's just not that precise but should indicate your playtime give or take 5 hours after 100 hours.

It seems to update every five hours you accrue. Mine said 70, then when I checked it later it said 75, so the "or more" just refers to the hours in between the 5 hour increments. Not bad at all

Cool! I stand corrected.

KevinG

Nintendo gonna Nintendo- WAIT! This is good!

Seriously though, this is better than relying completely on the Parental Control app workaround.

Mine still only shows "First played on XXXX", but if it switches to hours played after some time, great! But it only shows it in rough increments, right? Does it increase every 25 hours, or...? Also, that screen says the list can display a maximum of 20 games when you click the ? icon. I hope that's just the maximum displayed games on your profile, not the maximum it will track.

Either way, not great, but better than nothing, and hopefully this means they can implement a proper activity log in the future (without me having to use parental controls to see my own playtime), and that it can use the data that's being recorded now, before it exists.
In the reddit thread, there was a German tweet posted that shows the time at 115 hrs played, so it seems like it'll change in 15 hr increments maybe?

EDIT: Nvm, looks like it's five hour increments.

Berordn

We've known that since launch. The Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app doesn't calculate anything, it gets all the play time from the Nintendo Switch itself.

For some reason I hadn't made the connection that it was the system logging it, but rather assumed it was all being done by the app.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In the reddit thread, there was a German tweet posted that shows the time at 115 hrs played, so it seems like it'll change in 15 hr increments maybe?

EDIT: Nvm, looks like it's five hour increments.

Yeah, I also saw this:

C59UNuDVUAEknab.jpg

So, 5-hour increments, that's about as accurate info as I personally "need". 71 or 73 doesn't really matter.

But I wish it didn't take a week to start showing hours played instead of when it was first played.

Robin64

Mine has always said it this way since the beginning. But it's always vague, like "Played for 35 hours or more". If I view other peoples profiles, then I see "First played X days ago".

Won't stop me from using a timer until it's proven to be more exact, but it does make me really happy to see it. If it's in the profile does that mean it'll be viewable by friends too? That's going to be neat.

Top Bottom