• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Beat Battle: Draglade (New 2D fighter from Dimps for DS)

TreIII

http://www.draglade.jp/

qst_0_00_0.jpg

So, what can I say? The designs may not be all that inspiring, but it looks to be another interesting fighter from Dimps and Banpresto (and I definitely think that the DS could use more from where that came from), probably not too far removed from the vein of Bleach DS, if the "custom" thing and what looks to be going on the bottom screen are anything to go by.

For right now, not much else is known, as this thing was just announced relatively recently. However, it is expected to make an appearance at the upcoming World Hobby Fair, so I'm sure more will be known there. Besides that, the supposed release date is set for sometime in March '07.

In any case, I was interested in this, as I happen to think of Dimps as a competent developer, and I think they're perhaps at their most capable when they're working on something relatively original and fresh (re: Rumble Fish and its sequel). If Draglade could possibly be something like that, then I'd be all for Dimps living up to their namesake of being "Digital innovators" more, and less of just being stuck with anime franchises and other established IPs.

LegatoB

This looks fairly generic, but I'll give almost anything with pretty sprites that calls itself a fighting game a shot.

Jiggy

LegatoB said:
This looks fairly generic, but I'll give almost anything with pretty sprites that calls itself a fighting game a shot.
That about covers it.
Although in my case by "a shot" all I mean is I'll at least listen to GAF comments about the game.

TreIII

Mr. Pointy said:
Rumble Fish 2.

THANK YOU.

Honestly...for all that Tales DS let me down, I just consider it a blot on a record that still has the likes of TRF, TRF2, Sonic Rush and The Battle of Yu Yu Hakusho on it.

TreIII

This was a bit delayed, but there's actually something new to report on this title this time around.

First off, a brief, yet still some-what in-depth preview of the game can be quoted as follows:

"...Basically, [the Custom Beat System] is a bit like how records work in Samurai Champloo for PS2. New beats allow different combo chains, and it seems you have the ability to actually create beats yourself. Also, I can't recall if this was mentioned before, but Wifi is now confirmed for the game. There will be realtime ranking, and for local users, download play is supported." - insertcredit.com

In short, this game is looking to, as digg.com puts it, "achieve the homeostasis of the RPG, Rhythm Action and Fighting genres in a single game." - http://digg.com/gaming_news/Prepare_To_Custom_Beat_Battle

Whether or not Banpresto and DIMPS are actually up to the task or not is something that will have to indeed be seen to be believed, but I'm inclined to believe that these two could actually make this something unique, fun and yet another interesting fighter for the DS. We'll see though, once the game actually ships 3/21/2007.

Also, you can view a very short commercial here: http://www.draglade.jp/move_1_00.html

TreIII

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Cast looks generic as hell.
Skip.
Oh and btw whatever happened to that Rumblefish 2 home port? Great job on that one guys. :/

You should be putting as much blame on Sega-Sammy too. They and Dimps couldn't see eye to eye when it came to rights for that game, so that's what left to Dimps to leave Sega for greener pastures...and thus made it so we're now out of a good developer who delivers nice 2D Sonic games.

Martial Loh said:
only four characters?

We only know of the 4 Starters for right now. There's probably at least 1-2 more, but may be possibly more than that, if what some people reported from the World Hobby Show say is indeed fact.

But again, the main claim to this game is how you can basically take any one of the characters, start from their basic strings, and then evolve them so that they can utilize different moves and combo strings, including making your own strings for them. In other words, think along the lines of God Hand, or more over, the PS2 Samurai Champloo game.

Does will having the ability to add variety to the standard characters beat out having an actual variety of characters? Who knows, but it could be intersting, nonetheless.

TreIII said:
You should be putting as much blame on Sega-Sammy too.

Hey I hate them just as much as the next guy. At least Dimps did a fairly decent job on SpikeOut for Xbox(barring the insane character unlocking requirements and :lol at no continues being default)

Didn't know about Dimps and Sega/Sammy breaking up though so eh.

This game sounds much more interesting now. I'm hoping there's at least a colour editor for characters, since the game having only 4-6 characters, regardless of the custom movelists, might kill some of the replay value.

TreIII

Mr. Pointy said:
This game sounds much more interesting now. I'm hoping there's at least a colour editor for characters, since the game having only 4-6 characters, regardless of the custom movelists, might kill some of the replay value.

Well, I definitely wouldn't be opposed to that, either.

And considering how it seems that the 4 characters won't be stuck to only using move types that compliment their "base element" (Red Guy can seemingly use at least Earth and Ice Type moves, and not just limited to Fire), that would only make sense.

But we shall see. If they truly want to let this title live up to its name of "CUSTOM Beat Battle", Customization options should definitely be up there in priority.

TreIII

So, there will be a color edit mode...interesting.

As for rhythm based? Well, we've established that, and I think it looks interesting...

TreIII

A bit more to report, thanks to finding another insightful blog...

CBB.SS1-thumb.jpg

...Apparently the game will include RPG-like elements such as leveling up by beat-battling, purchasing new items from merchants, and visiting with townsfolk as depicted above. "Hey punk, are you a grapper? What kind of beat combos are you throwin' down?"

Grapper?!?!? Yes not only has Banpresto decided to create the all new Rhythm Fighting RPG genre, but they have also invented new words to describe the action.

CBBD.1-thumb.jpg

According to this screen shot "grap" is a new fighting form that incorporates sound/music into battle. Presumably a "grapper" is then one who graps. And grap you shall as Custom Beat Battle Draglade allows you to fully customize your character with over 100 special attacks to form beat combos MJ himself would envy. And if you think you've got what it takes to be a world class grapper, take your show on the road via Wi-Fi.

CBB.SS4-thumb.jpg

Here is a sneak preview of how the action will look on the DS, or should we say "Dragon Sequencer" as it is referred to in the game. Notice the bottom-right corner of the top screen. That is the rhythm meter. Time your button combinations to the beats as they flow across the screen to unleash awesome special attaks.

All kidding aside, Custom Beat Battle Draglade appears primed to unseat both Jump Ultimate Stars and Ouendan from the top of the PG best seller list in one fell swoop. Look for it!

- http://www.pinkgodzillagames.com/pinkytsu_news/prepare_to_custom_beat_battle_1.php

Though the whole "Grapping" thing may be something to either o_O or just :lol at, reading more about the game in general just entices me.

For instance, I'm liking how the game may end up having a "story" mode that may be akin to something not too far removed from Guardian Heroes/Advance. And as I've said before, the whole "beat" thing may be indeed an interesting gameplay mechanic. Ouendan meets Guardian Heroes? Who da thunk...

All I hope is that, if they are indeed taking a few notes from Treasure's classic, we'll be able to unlock more characters after getting through the game's main story mode. 100 possible buyable moves and a lot of customization aside, it just would be nice to have more than just 4 characters...but we'll see...

RyanDG

Anyone happen to pick this game up this past week? I am looking at importing it, but I am looking for some impressions before I make the plunge.

Top Bottom