Title: PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDSSteam Store Page | Official Website | Official Forums | Official Wiki Page | Official Twitter Account | PUBG GAF Discord Server (Quote to reveal)
Developer: Bluehole, Inc.
Platform: PC/Steam | (Xbox One - Winter 2017 / PlayStation 4 - 2018)
Price: $29.99 USD (Early Access)
Release Date: March 23, 2017 (Early Access) | Q4 2017 (Full Release)
Engine: Unreal Engine 4
Originally Posted by About The Game
PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS is a last-man-standing tactical shooter being developed with community feedback. Starting with nothing, players must fight to locate weapons and supplies in a battle to be the lone survivor. Players will be dispersed across a massive 8x8 km island and steadily forced into a shrinking centralized area until only one is left alive.
Brought to by the creator of the Arma 2 & 3 Battle Royale mod and H1Z1: King of the Kill, Brendan “PLAYERUNKNOWN” Greene has been an active pioneer of the battle royale genre for the past few years. In March 2016, after accepting the offer of Creative Director at Bluehole Inc., known for their MMORPG title TERA, Greene relocated to the team's studio in Seoul, South Korea with the goal of creating the most diverse and robust battle royale experience to date.
Early Access Update Schedule
- Daily -- Server performance improvements
- Weekly --
Bug fixes & client performance and stability fixesCritical bug fixes and improvements to anti-cheat system [Updated on May 16th]
- Monthly --
New content/features and gameplay balancingClient & server performance improvements and new content [Updated on May 16th]
[+] Initial Performance Improvements
- Reduce the overload on the CPU and allow GPU to perform to its full capability (stable frame rates in high-density areas and higher frame rates across all graphics options) [ETA: April 14th - Implemented on April 20th]
- Step 1: Optimizing art assets (decreasing LOD vertex for buildings seen at long distances and decrease total amount of vertex by adjusting LOD on terrains) [ETA: April 7th - Note: rolled back due to memory crash errors - Stable implementation on April 20th]
- Step 2: Improve rendering performance of terrain and ocean shader (ETA: TBD)
- Step 3: Decrease the overload on the CPU by rearranging wall near buildings (ETA: TBD)
- Step 4: Decrease the usage rate of the video memory (ETA: TBD)
- March 23, 2017 - Early Access is now available!
- March 23, 2017 - Early Access Launch Day Patch Notes!
- March 24, 2017 - Developer Stream with Brendan Greene (Creative Director), Marek (Content Programmer & Lead Weapon/Gunplay Designer), and Paweł Smolewski (Lead Animator) | Summarized Stream Notes
- March 29, 2017 - Early Access Update - Week 1
- April 5, 2017 - Early Access Update - Week 2
- April 12, 2017 - Early Access Update - Week 3
- April 18, 2017 - Early Access Update - Month 1
- April 20, 2017 - Developer Stream with Paweł Smolewski (Lead Animator) Showcasing an Early Look at Custom Servers
- April 25, 2017 - Early Access Update - Week 5
- May 14, 2017 - Early Access Update - Week 8
- May 23, 2017 - Early Access Update - Month 2
- May 30, 2017 - Early Access Update - Week 10
- June 7, 2017 - Early Access Update - Week 11
- Currently supports up to a maximum of 100 players per round
- Play modes include solos, duos, and squads (up to 4 player teams)
- An 8x8 km island map designed with diverse topography, biomes, and locales (e.g. mountains, hills, forests; a lake, river, swamp, logging area, flooded town, school, hospital, quarry, shooting range, castle ruins, power plant, underground bunker, and military airbase)
- Destructible environmental assets, currently limited to wooden doors and fences
- Functional spectator camera after death in team game modes with support for third-person, first-person, and aim-down-sights viewing angles
- Occasional rainy weather for the entirety of a round (currently 10% chance of occurrence)
- Cosmetic item loot crates acquirable both through microtransactions and using in-game credits that're rewarded based on your performance in each round along with additional credits provided for item trade-ins
- Leaderboards and ELO based ranking system driven by placement matches and numbers of kills attained in each match.
- Detailed breakdown of player statistics accessible through main menu.
- Varying movement speed based on currently equipped weapon and aiming mode
- Dynamic gunplay with single, burst, and auto fire modes, and the ability to shoot from the hip, aim down sights in third person, and aim down sights in first person
- Variety of melee weapons, pistols, shotguns, sub-machine guns, light machine guns, assault rifles, and sniper rifles available as loot all across the island
- Full weapon customization options with gun mods including sights/scopes, stocks, magazines, compensators, and suppressors
- Three tier system of armor and helmets for damage mitigation and backpacks for increased inventory space
- Along with the typical set of healing items, stimulant consumables can also be found that increase health regeneration and running speed
- A complete heads-up display that includes a detailed minimap and compass
- A set of land vehicles to choose from including a buggy, jeep, and a truck, as well as a speedboat to traverse through the water around the island
Still To Come
- Community modding tools
- Custom servers/game modes
- Support for 60Hz update/tickrate servers
- 2D & 3D match replays, allowing for analyzing player movement patterns and viewing recorded matches through a spectator camera system
- A second map to play on
- Additional vehicles, including a motorbike and military transport truck
- Weapons and vehicles skins
- Death camera showing the perspective of your killer
- Vaulting system similar to Battlefield games to supplement the to-be-improved jumping mechanics
- Bullet penetration mechanics and further building destructibility
- More options for melee combat, including a melee takedown
- More maneuverability options, including combat dives/rolls
- PC Gamer - Feb. 28, 2017 - Brendan "PLAYERUNKNOWN" Greene on the History of the Battle Royale Genre and Where PUBG Stands
- PC Gamer - Mar. 23, 2017 - Interview with Brendan "PLAYERUNKNOWN" Greene about PUBG's Early Access Launch, Future Plans, and Incorporating Player Feedback
- PC Gamer - Mar. 24, 2017 - Tips for Staying Alive in PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS
- Polygon - Mar. 24, 2017 - Chris “Sacriel” Ball on Why Streamers and Players Are Flocking to PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS
- PC Gamer - Mar. 27, 2017 - PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS Earned over $11 Million During Its First Weekend in Early Access
- PC Gamer - Mar. 30, 2017 - Evan Lahti on PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS Playing like "Entry-Level ARMA"
- Glixel - Apr. 5, 2017 - Twitch Sensation PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS Explained
- Glixel - Apr. 7, 2017 - Meet Brendan 'PLAYERUNKNOWN' Greene, Creator of the Twitch Hit 'BATTLEGROUNDS'
- Eurogamer.net - Apr. 10, 2017 - BATTLEGROUNDS' PLAYERUNKNOWN and the future of Battle Royale
- PC Gamer - Apr. 10, 2017 - PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 1 Million Copies in Less Than Three Weeks Since Hitting Early Access
- Glixel - Apr. 21, 2017 - Learning to Love the Masochism of PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS
- Gamasutra - Apr. 27, 2017 - Designing the giant battle royale maps of PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS
- Game Informer - May 11, 2017 - Exclusive Details on Two New Maps Coming to PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS
- Game Informer - May 26, 2017 - PLAYERUNKNOWN Outlines Vision for BATTLEGROUNDS Campaign and Replay System
- GameSpot - Jun. 2, 2017 - PLAYERUNKNOWN Discusses BATTLEGROUNDS' Console Versions, That Black Coat, and Future Updates
- PC Gamer - Jun. 12, 2017 - Vaulting, Climbing, and Diving Through Windows are Coming to PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS
How long will Early Access last? When can we expect the full game to be released?
Six months until full release has been the ETA since the decision to enter Early Access was first announced. This has been emphasized as a very strict date that the developers will be working diligently to meet. Since the end of closed alpha testing, it was never intended for the game to enter Early Access at all but the developers thought it would be more advantageous compared to an open beta for optimizing and polishing the game after all features have been implemented.
Are there plans for a console port?
Bluehole will begin working on a port for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 after the PC version has been finalized.
Ugh, another Early Access open world survival game? Another rip off of H1Z1: King of the Kill?
This isn't a survival/crafting game. This is a battle royale game – an emerging genre that has been taking the online shooter community by storm over the past few years. BATTLEGROUNDS is also not a rip-off of KotK. Brendan Greene, the game's Creative Director, is the creator of the pioneering Arma 2 & 3 Battle Royale mods and co-developer of the King of the Kill battle royale mode for H1Z1. He has been assertive about this being a unique battle royale experience with its own style, a balanced hybrid of the hardcore realism showcased in Arma BR and the arcade pace of KotK.
What can I do about the server-side rubberbanding, desync, and input delay issues I'm experiencing?
Bluehole is hard at work improving server performance and stability on a daily basis. You can help them with this process by reporting your match's Session ID number located at the bottom of your in-game HUD and specifics about the issues you're experiencing on their official forum.
Why is it so difficult to discern where I'm being shot from when I hear bullets flying near me?
Marek, the game's Lead Weapon/Gunplay Designer, explained some of the nuances of PUBG's positional sound design.
Bullet Crack/Whizz Effect
- Each gunshot sound you hear in the game has a propagation delay based on the distance between the source and the listener.
- The propagation velocity is 340m/s so if a pistol is shot 340m away from the listener, he will see the muzzle flash first and hear the gunshot after 1 second.
- If a gunshot is fired from indoors or there is no direct or approximate line of sight (obstructed), a reverberation effect and low-pass filter are applied to the sound effect.
In the current public build, all bullets generate a sound crack effect. We've changed this mechanic by adding a velocity check, so bullets travelling slower than speed of sound will not generate the crack effect but just whizz.[/LIST]
- An audible bullet crack effect created from a bullet bow shockwave is generated when a supersonic projectile passes in close proximity to the listener. The effect can be heard in the closest point on bullet trajectory line. Basically, the sound source is always perpendicular to the trajectory line, so if you hear a bullet crack only in your left or right headphone, you know that the shooter is either directly in front of you or behind you.
- Most of our weapons are supersonic (faster than the speed of sound). This means that you will hear the crack/whizz before you hear the actual gunshot. In a scenario where you see a shooter 1000m away, using an AWM (>900m/s muzzle velocity) the events will occur in such order:
1. You see the muzzle flash.
2. After ~1 second you'll hear the crack/whizz (assuming no air drag).
3. After ~3 seconds you'll hear the gunshot.
- Bullets passing close to the player will generate a crack sound while the ones passing further away will only generate whizz effect.
- We blend between different sound samples based on distance (the maximum distance and attenuation characteristic is also affected by suppressor attachment). Gunshot sounds within close proximity are louder and clearer than the distant ones.
PUBG GAF Discord Server (Quote to reveal) [Current Members: +100]