• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

keraj37
(03-24-2017, 02:24 PM)
You can read more here: Battle.net is now just "Blizzard"

Blizzard announced some time ago that they will start parting with Battle.net brand after 20 years of its existence, and starting from this night (In Europe is 1am) it is official.

My bnet client restarted itself and now it is called simply "Blizzard App" and Bnet logo is removed, and there is now just Blizzard logo there.

Looks like Blizzard starts to introduce announced change of battle.net name.

cw_sasuke
If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
(03-24-2017, 02:25 PM)
I liked Battel.net......end of an era :-/
jediyoshi
(03-24-2017, 02:25 PM)
Top of the launcher looks so naked now
Yoshichan
I've played over 500 hours of DMC2 and consider the game good.
(03-24-2017, 02:26 PM)
I spent weeks convincing my friends that Battle.net 2.0 was the future.

Of course, like most things, Blizzard had the opportunity to create something special - and they completely fucking botched it.

No surprise here.
Marker007
(03-24-2017, 02:27 PM)
Man. I still have my Battle.net boxed copy of Warcraft II. This is truly a brand change that hits me in the feels.
Stevey
Damn, that doesn't feel right.
VoltySquirrel
This is the type of rebranding that won't actually change anything. I'll still call it Battle.net because that's a fucking sick name for a platform. 2+ decades of referring to Blizzard multiplayer as "battle net" isn't going just suddenly change.
Twookie
the new icon for the launcher is blurry garbage

I don't really like the new name honestly. battle.net was so easy and fast to say instead of saying "blizzard app/launcher"
SkullHydra
I just spent extra time looking for the launcher in my Toolbar looking for the old icon. I like the old icon better than Bliz...
zombipuppy
(03-24-2017, 02:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Yoshichan

Of course, like most things, Blizzard had the opportunity to create something special - and they completely fucking botched it.

No surprise here.

I mean, I was a big fan of Battle.net in the early days too, but what exactly did they "botch"? It's just a name change. The app and online service behaves exactly as it always has.
Exquisik
wapplew
Why? It's so iconic.
They want to use it for things outside battle? Online dating?
Nugg
(03-24-2017, 02:29 PM)
We knew this would happend for a while now, but I still don't get it. Battle.net feels as old as the Internet, is an iconic name and cool as hell. I don't get why they would dump the brand like that.

EDIT: Wait what the fuck, is that Danny Pudi in that Hearthstone promo??
Arkeband
Banned
(03-24-2017, 02:30 PM)

Originally Posted by jediyoshi

Top of the launcher looks so naked now

Just like battle.net 2.0 lobbies, then.
red731
I've heard about this ealier and was prepared but is that Abed/ Danny Pudi?

Impossiburu
Anyone else see it as "Blizzard App?" No idea why, but that "app" bit I don't like at all.

Tonyx
(03-24-2017, 02:32 PM)
Hum.. I guess in a way they want to avoid confusion using just one brand instead of two.. yet Battle.net is such an iconic name and strong brand..
LelouchZero
I loved the 'Battle.net' name! It's a shame to see it go. :(
Breads
Is that Danny Pudi?

Also end of a god damned era.

I started the internet on Battlenet. Diablo and Starcraft are how I learned how to type. That was 20 years ago. Fuck.
hobblygobbly
(03-24-2017, 02:33 PM)
I don't really understand the logic behind naming your platform in accordance to your business name. Even Valve has the Steam/Steamworks platform that is integrated into their games and others that wish to use it, just like Battle.net was the platform for Blizzard games. Now it's just called... Blizzard? Blizzard platform? I guess they just want to abstract that entirely away from customers.
killatopak
End of an era.
Nugg

Originally Posted by Nugg

EDIT: Wait what the fuck, is that Danny Pudi in that Hearthstone promo??

Originally Posted by red731

I've heard about this ealier and was prepared but is that Abed/ Danny Pudi?

Originally Posted by Breads

Is that Danny Pudi?

Cool name change but this thread is now actually about how awesome Danny Pudi is
red731
(03-24-2017, 02:34 PM)
Blizzard released new Winter game called Blizzard.

Get it today on Blizzard.
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
Banned

Originally Posted by LelouchZero

I loved the 'Battle.net' name! It's a shame to see it go. :(

Yeah, it was the best name for a service, ever. It's not clever and it's not over-the-counter. Its there, pure and unadulterated.

Shame.
JB2448

Originally Posted by Impossiburu

Anyone else see it as "Blizzard App?" No idea why, but that "app" bit I don't like at all.

Yes, the title of the application is now "Blizzard App."
Spiritwalker
Lame and honestly a bad idea.

Blizzard released new Winter game called Blizzard.

Get it today on Blizzard.

lol
mclem
(03-24-2017, 02:35 PM)

Originally Posted by VoltySquirrel

This is the type of rebranding that won't actually change anything. I'll still call it Battle.net because that's a fucking sick name for a platform. 2+ decades of referring to Blizzard multiplayer as "battle net" isn't going just suddenly change.

If nothing else, having the distinction available in-game when you say "I've just seen <player> come onto Battle.net" won't be going away any time soon.
Breads
(03-24-2017, 02:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Nugg

Cool name change but this thread is now actually about how awesome Danny Pudi is

MTC100
Banned
(03-24-2017, 02:39 PM)
Blizzard App? Oh well, thanks Activision!
Yoshichan
(03-24-2017, 02:40 PM)

Originally Posted by zombipuppy

I mean, I was a big fan of Battle.net in the early days too, but what exactly did they "botch"? It's just a name change. The app and online service behaves exactly as it always has.

No, I meant they botched Battle.net by making us think that it had potential to be something huge. It never became shit. It's nothing but a hub for playing Blizzard games.

And it was promised to be much more than that, having conferences and whatnot just to state how amazing Battle.net 2.0 is going to be in the (near tm) future.
Tunesmith
formerly "chigiri"
(03-24-2017, 02:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Exquisik

Internal politics.
truestatic
(03-24-2017, 02:42 PM)
Good job conceiving of and following through on a bad idea, Blizzard.
NimbusD
(03-24-2017, 02:43 PM)
Well, that's boring. It's like calling Diablo "bad monster game"

Also the blizzard logo is horrible and unreadable as an icon. At least just make it a b.
Arkeband
Banned
(03-24-2017, 02:44 PM)

Originally Posted by hobblygobbly

I don't really understand the logic behind naming your platform in accordance to your business name. Even Valve has the Steam/Steamworks platform that is integrated into their games and others that wish to use it, just like Battle.net was the platform for Blizzard games. Now it's just called... Blizzard? Blizzard platform? I guess they just want to abstract that entirely away from customers.

Blizzard has an ego, which is why they ended up losing DotA to Valve, probably one of the craziest and most baffling whiffs in gaming history.

It's probably better that they change it from battle.net, as battle.net had style and personality, 'Blizzard App' is just a perfunctory chat platform with a friends list. We all used to tell our friends to 'get on battlenet' to play X game. You don't ask your friends to get on 'Blizzard App', it's just there, doing its bare minimum, you instead tell your friends to play X game directly.

We're only a few management fart sniffs away from "It's Blizzard's world, we just live in it!"
Dragner
(03-24-2017, 02:44 PM)
Battle.net was online gaming history.

It doesnt feel right.

Also Blizzard app is a lame name.
Nokagi
(03-24-2017, 02:48 PM)
Well I don't think I've used the name Battle.net since Diablo 2 so I got no problems with this.
Mupod
(03-24-2017, 02:49 PM)
well, everyone is still going to call it bnet
Pagusas
Good, Battle.net was such a silly name.
Apathy
End of an era for sure, but just like the SkyDome, I'll refuse to use any other name aside from battlenet to refer to it.
Phawx
(03-24-2017, 02:50 PM)
Mplayer, Gamespy, Battle.net

Dang.
Blam
(03-24-2017, 02:50 PM)
Yup let's remove the name that everyone knew for something extremely generic.
wapplew
(03-24-2017, 02:51 PM)
What will happen to Arenanet?
Stop It
Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
(03-24-2017, 02:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Yoshichan

No surprise here.

Maybe your problem isn't the branding but the fact you spent weeks going on about a download client?

Jesus wept.

Anyway, end of an era! Still the Blizzard App sounds ok to me, the functionality is the important bit.
Arttemis
(03-24-2017, 02:53 PM)
I have been disappointed with everything this company has done since WoW's first expansion, including the battle.net 2.0 platform that went nowhere.
Kade
(03-24-2017, 02:54 PM)
Bad decision IMO. Battle.net is iconic.
grumpy
(03-24-2017, 02:56 PM)
The Blizzard logo is fugly and feels like completely out of place in the BATTLE.NET client.
Yoshichan
(03-24-2017, 02:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Stop It

Maybe your problem isn't the branding but the fact you spent weeks going on about a download client?

Jesus wept.

Anyway, end of an era! Still the Blizzard App sounds ok to me, the functionality is the important bit.

Good job getting my point. A download client in which was promised to be much more than just that. My mistake was swallowing it whole, but can you judge me? It was Blizzard during its prime.
Sai-kun
Banned
(03-24-2017, 02:58 PM)
Man, battle.net was like the coolest sounding shit back in the late 90's. :( what a shame to change it. I'll pour one out for u, bnet
Vital Tundra
(03-24-2017, 03:01 PM)
To bad it's not Blizzard.net. Blizzard App sounds so lame.
Keasar
(03-24-2017, 03:02 PM)
Battle.net was a way better name, felt better and had a lot more history.

Saying "Oh, I am playing on Blizzard" just sounds odd.