• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Reportedly Prepping Another “Thinner” PlayStation 4 Model

SOR5

Link here at WWG, source is Digitimes

wwgps4pro4-205387.jpg

Within the past year Sony has released two new versions of their latest hardware – the sleek, low-cost PlayStation 4 Slim, and the beefed up PlayStation 4 Pro. Well, if a new report is to be believed, yet another new model may be about to join the ever-growing PS4 family.

Taiwanese newspaper Digitimes reports that Sony is currently prepping a “thinner” version of the PS4. A large portion of the world's electronics are manufactured in Taiwan, so its entirely likely Digitimes has an inside scoop. In the same article the newspaper delves into which companies are working on Microsoft's Project Scorpio, and mentions that Nintendo expects to ship 20 million Switch units this year.

Ultimately though, it's the revelation that yet another version of the PS4 is on the way that proves most interesting. Digitimes doesn't specify whether this thinner PS4 will be an even more streamlined version of the base PS4, or a pared-down version of the PS4 Pro. The latter seems more likely to be true. The PS4 Pro's “triple-decker” design is a bit clunky, and it would make sense for Sony to take it to Project Scorpio with a redesign and price cut for the Pro.

Another new PS4 model this soon may seem like too much, too fast, but Sony's revisions don't seem to be hurting the brand. Following last year's PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro double launch, Sony had their most lucrative quarter in PlayStation history. So, expect frequent tweaks and updates going forward.

Size me down if old

rokkerkory

Will it be cheaper and quieter I wonder?

No sense in reducing size since it's already nicely small unless you can reduce the noise.

holygeesus

Banned
Will it be cheaper and quieter I wonder?

No sense in reducing size since it's already nicely small unless you can reduce the noise.

Quieter won't be happening without an external PSU. I could live with a smaller form and an external power box to be honest.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
A slimmer Pro or a cheaper PS4 without a disc drive are what I would guess. Seems a bit early for a Pro slim. I'm pretty curious to see how a cheap, download only PS4 would fare on the market. It's not for me but I could see that being fairly successful.

VAD

It hasn't even been a year since the last redesign. Are they trying to piss off their customers?

Scrawnton

It hasn't even been a year since the last redesign. Are they trying to piss off their customers?
I'd imagine because the Pro isn't doing gangbusters and they want a good PR battle with Microsoft when Scorpio comes out.

I'll be honest, if they make a pro revision this year that has an UHD blu ray drive I would demand a replacement.

Top Bottom