• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Vampirolol
(03-31-2017, 07:25 AM)

Originally Posted by jariw

Why would they change that? There are game mechanics (weather forecasts and campfires) to deal with rain if you don't or do need it (rain works both to your advantage and against you, depending on what you want to do). Except for the areas where it constantly rains for plot reasons.

It still feels like it's raining too much to me, even in normal areas. Like, 51% of the time.
Naked Snake
(03-31-2017, 07:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Yukinari

Would be nice to have some quality of life changes like easier weapon swapping when you have a full inventory.

This is the thing I want the most.
SinCityAssassin
(03-31-2017, 07:26 AM)

Originally Posted by JCH!

You guys are so confusing. Come on DF, do a proper test! :D

Switch Framerate Stability: Very improved. All problem areas noticeably better, less frequent drops while docked. Nearly consistent undocked.

Wii U Framerate Stability: Somewhat improved. All problem areas have some improvement in stability.
Luigiv
(03-31-2017, 07:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Kudo

Has anyone contacted Digital Foundry yet? I guess they are aware even without anyone reaching out to them but just curious if they're going to do another frame rate test and see if anything was downgraded.

Digital Foundry is at EGX this weekend so I wouldn't expect anything until next week.

Anyway, I just ran through the Zonai Ruins (the area shown off in The Game Awards footage last year) and surrounding areas and didn't notice any framedrops, Switch, undocked. I remember that region being a bit of a problem spot the first time I went through, though not as much as in TGA footage, but it has been a while so I couldn't say with confidence how much of an improvement that actually is.
Skeletos311
(03-31-2017, 07:30 AM)
Comparison video http://gonintendo.com/stories/277132...ws-improved-fr
oni-link
(03-31-2017, 07:31 AM)
How do you trigger this download?

I just fired up the Wii U version from the Wii U menu (not the quick start menu) and nothing happened

It's still saying 1.1.0
MindCollizion
(03-31-2017, 07:31 AM)
Does the Switch automatically download updates to software?
Sword Of Doom
(03-31-2017, 07:32 AM)
I've been playing mostly docked and tonight I got to the Korok area for the first time and it was pretty smooth. I have nothing to compare it against but it seems like the kind of area that would kill the frame rate. Lots of fog.

Originally Posted by Skeletos311

Honestly looks just as framey as before.
Last edited by Sword Of Doom; 03-31-2017 at 07:35 AM.
99Luffy
(03-31-2017, 07:32 AM)

Is this switch or wiiu?
Skeletos311
(03-31-2017, 07:34 AM)

Originally Posted by 99Luffy

Is this switch or wiiu?

It has d-pad buttons.
teflontactics
(03-31-2017, 07:35 AM)

Originally Posted by MindCollizion

Does the Switch automatically download updates to software?

Yes, but you can trigger it manually from the home menu using + to bring up the options for any piece of software.
rhandino
Banned
(03-31-2017, 07:35 AM)

Originally Posted by 99Luffy

Is this switch or wiiu?

Switch (the UI buttons are from that ver)

That being said the Great Plateau was also improved along with Faron Woods and most of the Stables.

Towns that had problems seem to have been improved a bit with Zoras Domain being the better of the bunch imho.
Apenheul
(03-31-2017, 07:37 AM)
I tested the update this morning and in most places where the frame rate used to drop frequently it now looks really smooth, except the one part where drops were extreme; that area is smoother for the most part now but I still saw drops there. Excellent patch.
Litri
(03-31-2017, 07:37 AM)
Maybe it's placebo for me, but I have noticed certain improvement in many areas from the plateau and kakariko. Thanks Ninty.
dynamitejim
(03-31-2017, 07:38 AM)
Frame rate is marginally better in Kakariko and Hateno on Wii U. You hit 30 more often, but if you're looking at a more complex scene it still drops to a sustained 20.
jorgejjvr
(03-31-2017, 07:38 AM)
https://youtu.be/3hdGpEPy-K4

Video about this from gamexplain
foxuzamaki
Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
(03-31-2017, 07:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Luigiv

Digital Foundry is at EGX this weekend so I wouldn't expect anything until next week.

Anyway, I just ran through the Zonai Ruins (the area shown off in The Game Awards footage last year) and surrounding areas and didn't notice any framedrops, Switch, undocked. I remember that region being a bit of a problem spot the first time I went through, though not as much as in TGA footage, but it has been a while so I couldn't say with confidence how much of an improvement that actually is.

Im sure they probably bought the switch with them
SinCityAssassin
(03-31-2017, 07:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Sword Of Doom

Probably need to wash you eyes for a bit before watching it again.
oni-link
(03-31-2017, 07:40 AM)

Originally Posted by dynamitejim

Frame rate is marginally better in Kakariko and Hateno on Wii U. You hit 30 more often, but if you're looking at a more complex scene it still drops to a sustained 20.

How did you get the Wii U version to download? I just tried now and nothing happened
Sesuadra
(03-31-2017, 07:41 AM)

Originally Posted by jorgejjvr

I can't see a downgrade here, like some have said. but of course compressed youtube video

Originally Posted by Sword Of Doom

O.o...?wut?
nubbe
(03-31-2017, 07:41 AM)
It might be because I pay more attention.
but there seem to be more object pop-in and level of detail changes.
Tom Nook Sawyer
(03-31-2017, 07:44 AM)

Originally Posted by jorgejjvr

That side by side shot in Korok Forest really shows the improvement.
SinCityAssassin
(03-31-2017, 07:44 AM)

Originally Posted by nubbe

It might be because I pay more attention.
but there seem to be more object pop-in and level of detail changes.

I haven't noticed that at all actually. I would have to check again later.
Persona7
(03-31-2017, 07:47 AM)
So it's a slight improvement but the framerate issues still persist?
jorgejjvr
(03-31-2017, 07:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Persona7

Framerate has improved, still there (some drops) , not perfect, but definitely improved. Much less noticeable
Tom Nook Sawyer
(03-31-2017, 07:48 AM)

Gamexplain's video shows it's totally fixed in some areas and improved in others. Is there an open world game that doesn't have some framerate issues?
jorgejjvr
(03-31-2017, 07:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Tom Nook Sawyer

Gamexplain's video shows it's totally fixed in some areas and improved in others. Is there an open world game that doesn't have some framerate issues?

Pretty much this.

Never really had problems with the framerate, and this only makes it that much better
James Scott
(03-31-2017, 07:49 AM)

Some busy areas like the Korok woods are improved but still a bit choppy. Seems to address the random bits of slowdown in the overworld.
Malus
(03-31-2017, 07:50 AM)

There are certainly many that have less.

Gimme moar frames Nintendo deliver the goods.
Haines
I just played quite a bit on handheld which was already good and it ran great.
Persona7

Yes, I saw this video before my post.
SinCityAssassin
(03-31-2017, 07:51 AM)
Keep on optimizing, is the last I'll say. This is a good direction.
icespide
Banned
(03-31-2017, 07:53 AM)

Is there an open world game that doesn't have some framerate issues?

yes. horizon zero dawn is one example
Luigiv
(03-31-2017, 07:54 AM)

Horizon Zero Dawn, apparently. Xenoblade Chronicles X was also pretty damn solid (though it had some very aggressive pop-in in what would have otherwise been trouble spots).
Jessie.Bristol
(03-31-2017, 07:56 AM)
GameXplain just posted a comparison video as well for Switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdGpEPy-K4

Doesn't seem to be a dramatic difference, just smooths out some of the hiccups a bit.
Piggus
(03-31-2017, 07:57 AM)

Originally Posted by teflontactics

Right, but I don't know what the specific conditions are for the drop (ie; what taxes the system) and I don't have anything to compare to (ie; pre-patch footage that is in a problem area). I might be able to say "it drops" but not to what level, why, or if it's occurring somewhere it occurred before.

Your best bet is probably to compare to the areas that Digital Foundry tested since they have graphs showing exactly when and where the framerate drops to 20.
jackal27
(03-31-2017, 07:57 AM)
Woah this is fantastic! Wasn't sure what the update so I'm all for this.
Malus
(03-31-2017, 07:58 AM)

Originally Posted by Luigiv

Horizon Zero Dawn, apparently. Xenoblade Chronicles X was also pretty damn solid (though it had some very aggressive pop-in in what would have otherwise been trouble spots).

Literally every other open world game I've played performs better lol.

There exist some worse performing games I'm sure, but usually they aren't good games I'd spend time and money on.
SinCityAssassin

Originally Posted by Jessie.Bristol

GameXplain just posted a comparison video as well for Switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdGpEPy-K4

Doesn't seem to be a dramatic difference, just smooths out some of the hiccups a bit.

It's an across the board thing. Some areas are still improved, but not as much as other areas.
marc^o^
Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Had to leave to work, I'll check tonight: I assume it's now flawless in handheld mode (which was already close)?
Jessensor

Originally Posted by QuixoticNeutral

If anyone has been able to reliably reproduce the multiple successive Blood Moon glitch, that might be a place to start. I think it may be related to zoning into areas where the Blood Moon occurs but doesn't trigger a respawn, but didn't test this thoroughly myself.

This happened to me a few days ago, didn't realise it was a glitch. I can't remember where exactly I was. It was somewhere near one of the stables near the great plateua. I was stalking horses and kept getting attacked by moblins. I got like 3 blood moon cinematics, every time I cleared the camp.
Luigiv
(03-31-2017, 07:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Malus

Literally every other open world game I've played performs better lol.

There exist some worse performing games I'm sure, but usually they aren't good games I'd spend time and money on.

Having played Dragon's Dogma on PS3, I can't say the same for myself.
Soundslike
(03-31-2017, 07:59 AM)
Looks less framey, although never had a problem with it before.

WW hd thats a framey game on the wii u. almost unplayable during sea battles.
SinCityAssassin
(03-31-2017, 08:00 AM)

Originally Posted by marc^o^

Had to leave to work, I'll check tonight: I assume it's now flawless in handheld mode (which was already close)?

It's pretty improved in the areas we talked about already. Not flawless though, magnetism effects still slowdown the forest frames.
Zuzzissm0
(03-31-2017, 08:00 AM)

Originally Posted by BY2K

I'm undocked and I'd definitely getting less dips in the Korok Forest.

Gonna try the Plateau.

just tried korok. it is minimal better. plateau runs great now
Mistle
(03-31-2017, 08:05 AM)
Just tested out some problem areas docked and it's so much better. The shrine with spikes around it south of Zora's Domain didn't hiccup at all, and that place used to be a mess. The Plateau seems entirely fixed?

Korok Forest still dips a bit in a certain spot, but is still a massive improvement.

Wasn't expecting this tbh so it's going to be great for future replays.
Last edited by Mistle; 03-31-2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: tagged locations
Poppyseed
(03-31-2017, 08:08 AM)

That's night and day better. Nice!
LurkerPrime
(03-31-2017, 08:08 AM)
Does this fix the Moblin ragdoll framerate problem? Would be a very pleasant change, imo.

Edit: Oh, and I should mention this is on Wii U. Not certain if it is/was a problem on Switch.
Last edited by LurkerPrime; 03-31-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Milly Osworth
(03-31-2017, 08:09 AM)
It looks sharper but Im probably seeing things.
ramparter
(03-31-2017, 08:10 AM)
Just played for half an hor, didn't visit any of the places I remember having problems but I got inside a forest and things were much better than I'd usually expect.

Docked Switch.