• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

Is the problem where you're close to a Moblin and you hit it hard so that it falls down for a moment makes your fps drop like hell a common one? If I remember correctly it happened more if the camera was close to the Moblin. Still downloading the patch on the WiiU so don't know if it helps.

guek

Banned
Kakariko Village on WiiU isn't much better than Blighttown was.

Wii U?

2YFfur1.gif

PillarEN

Is the problem where you're close to a Moblin and you hit it hard so that it falls down for a moment makes your fps drop like hell a common one? If I remember correctly it happened more if the camera was close to the Moblin. Still downloading the patch on the WiiU so don't know if it helps.
Very common.

Edit: Also too bad I put this game on the shelf today (because I did all I wanted after 180 hours). Will be fun checking back on one random day.

RootCause

That's nice. Wish there was a patch note. Did it fix the amiibo date trick? Not updating until I get all of the amiibo outfits. :)

Are reviewers who complained about this gonna update their scores or nah

If the frame rate improvement is true ofc
Let it go. smh

conpfreak

Yeah, I just checked on the Switch version several places where I remember the frame rate tanking, including some of the forest areas, grass reflections, fire effects, and
Kakariko Village
. Drops are gone.

I can confirm both Kakariko Village and Korok Forest still run poorly on Wii U.
Are reviewers who complained about this gonna update their scores or nah

If the frame rate improvement is true ofc
Are you going to mature into an adult anytime soon or nah

Speely

Banned
Moblin freeze issue is possibly fixed too. Just fought one in a known problem area and didn't experience the issue (maybe a 0.1s stutter at one point, though it's hard to tell). Need to fight more to be sure though (could have just gotten lucky).

This is possible since it didn't happen to me for most Moblin fights previously, which tells me it could still be an issue if it's not a framerate issue but a bug.

RAWRferal

Just went ham with a load of bomb and fire arrows on some grass in docked mode, definitely holding up a lot better than before.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well a certain forest area runs better right now.
I warped to that spot pre patch.And as always it was running a little laggy.

Installed the patch and voila way less lag. Still lag spikes near a point with mist and light.

J@hranimo

Banned
I've been hearing about improvements in FPS since the first Switch system update. I'll wait for confirmation from somewhere like DF

Nah that's definitely placebo effect. Console system updates don't improve performance for individual games unless it's a specific feature like PS4 Pro's boost mode.

I can't wait to try those certain notorious areas when I get home tonight, this is exciting! :D

Charamiwa

Banned
Typically I don't really like talking about performance improvement without proper testing, as it's rarely accurate. So for the most part, let's wait and see.

However I did go through
Korok Village
and it does seem like it's better. This was one of the only place I could get some big dips undocked consistently, and now I only get micro dips at a specific location,
the center where the Master Sword is
. I even burn everything with fire arrows and it didn't seem to dip.

So this might be true, but again, I would rather see a proper testing.

guek

Banned
as others have said,
korok forest
runs much better but it starts chugging again the closer you get to
the pedestal

bibs

The version 1.1.0 update had a file size of about 237mb. But for some reason 1.1.1 makes it smaller to 167mb. How did they make a consecutive update smaller?

Arttemis

Playing on a docked Switch:

K
orok
F
orest
is substantially better, but still drops frame (I'd guess 60% improvement)

K
akariko
V
illage
- Seemingly perfect now, even in the worst spots. I only got a single moment of framerate drop when it started to rain, but it immediately recovered and ran locked.

Testing moblins next.

shiyrley

Banned
I can confirm the
Kolog Forest
runs a LOT better now. When it does drop, it still drops to 20 FPS, that's double buffer vsync for you. But now, instead of the whole central zone being a constant 20 FPS shitshow, it only has very specific spots in where it drops.

This is definitely not placebo.

EDIT: Switch docked

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
This is a massive performance improvement when docked on Switch (I've played over 50 hours docked). Just went to the Zonai ruins and it's an amazing improvement in framerate.

I think they have lowered the shadow resolution to get the framerate improvements as they look a bit more jaggy to me. A great trade off to get that kind of performance improvement though imo.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I fought the Moblins at the top of Death Mountain where I got the worse freeze, and aside from a millisecond of freeze, it's a lot improved over the 4-5 seconds of freezes I got before.

Korok Forest and the downhill path with all the grass outside the Shrine of Resurrection definitely feel smoother. Great Plateau Forest of Spirits is also way smoother. Korok Forest still buckles at certain points, but it isn't a constant 20fps like before.
Patch seems like a win.

edit - Switch version, docked

Speely

Banned
Playing on a docked Switch:

K
orok
F
orest
is substantially better, but still drops frame (I'd guess 60% improvement)

K
akariko
V
illage
- Seemingly perfect now, even in the worst spots. I only got a single moment of framerate drop when it started to rain, but it immediately recovered and ran locked.

Testing moblins next.

Fffffuuuuuu... Is it weird that the first thing I am going to do is go to that v
illage
and run/glide around to experience it smoothly? I think the design of it deserves that.

PillarEN

I fought the Moblins at the top of Death Mountain where I got the worse freeze, and aside from a millisecond of freeze, it's a lot improved over the 4-5 seconds of freezes I got before.

Wow. I was on Wii U. I would go as far as to say the long freezes were like 2 seconds. 4 or 5 is mighty long.

AmyS

I'm gonna fire up both the Switch and the Wii U to update both versions of BotW.

Framerate improvements.....

PleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGoodPleaseBeGood.

Malus

It's a damn shame that the game released in such a state to begin with as I found it to be a huge distracting issue, but I'm glad it's being improved for future players and those still playing (assuming people aren't just imagining things). 3D Zelda has had a rough time when it comes to technical hiccups since TP with game breaking glitches and now framerate problems.

Hope to hop back in when the DLC drops and enjoy the improved performance. Maybe it'll get more improvements between now and then.

Wow. I was on Wii U. I would go as far as to say the long freezes were like 2 seconds. 4 or 5 is mighty long.

Same. In 130 hours I oddly only started getting it after like 60 hours too. I'm assuming it's only specific locations.

How does Hyrule Castle run guys? On Wii U (prepatch) that place doesn't get stable at all. I dunno about Switch.

On WiiU, the game literally drops to 0fps for like a full second

Top Bottom