• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

GoldCrusader
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:34 PM)
GoldCrusader's Avatar

Originally Posted by slightconfuse

Caught up on crunchy roll. I'm really excited this has become my favorite show/manages.

I love everything about all might

Welcome aboard the MHA hype train!
ionitron
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:46 PM)
ionitron's Avatar
YEEEEESSSS>S>DHFSDFKDFsd

So excited.

This arc is awesome but it's too bad it's so behind where we are now (Although, this could be a good thing too)
DJwest
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:51 PM)
DJwest's Avatar
I still can't watch the rest of the episode because that intro with Deku facing the villains is just too damn good.
Moaradin
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:52 PM)
Moaradin's Avatar
So excited for this. The first season had its problems, but overall I thought it was a good adaption. This season should be a lot better just because of the material it's adapting. Should be some real amazing moments if they go all out.
T-Rex.
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:59 PM)
T-Rex.'s Avatar
That intro with Deku facing the villains was hype.
cntr
Banned
(04-01-2017, 04:06 PM)
cntr's Avatar
Season 1 was a bad adaptation.

Like, as far as I can tell, everybody who read the manga was like, "this is really good and has potential" after those 21 chapters, and that was true even when those chapters were releasing weekly. In comparison, Season 1 had far more mixed reactions from everybody, even people who'd never read the series before. It was frustrating as hell.

They better not repeat that same mistake with Season 2, because come on.
OniBarubary
Member
(04-01-2017, 04:10 PM)
OniBarubary's Avatar
I said it before but they approached it like an ongoing series and not a 1 cour and ya can't do that if you only have 1 cour.

I'll give the episode a watch after I wake up.
Puruzi
Banned
(04-01-2017, 04:12 PM)
Alright the scene with Deku facing the mob of villains at the beginning was straight FIRE.
ionitron
Member
(04-01-2017, 04:12 PM)
ionitron's Avatar
Just saw it. I thought it was all over the place, I guess it works as a return.
Hippolnareff
Member
(04-01-2017, 04:22 PM)
Hippolnareff's Avatar
Enjoyed the first Season and it's very fresh in my mind so I'm subbing!
Maximo
Member
(04-01-2017, 04:37 PM)
Maximo's Avatar
Fuuuuck I didn't know it released today totally forgot, once again the show drags on with its recaps and reusing of scenes I hope it doesn't keep doing it, Season 1 wasn't anywhere near the levels of how good the manga was.
GoldCrusader
Member
(04-01-2017, 04:40 PM)
GoldCrusader's Avatar
That damn dimming in the op tho, I wish it wasn't there.
Puruzi
Banned
(04-01-2017, 04:43 PM)
Honestly what was the point of the recap episode if they were still going to keep adding flashbacks? It wasn't as bad as it was before but there were still too many.
Grexeno
Member
(04-01-2017, 04:44 PM)
Grexeno's Avatar
My Hero Academia 2 01



When you start out in straight up Recap Piece mode it doesn't bode well.
cntr
Banned
(04-01-2017, 04:46 PM)
cntr's Avatar
If they mess up next week's episode, we should just close the thread and tell people to read the manga.
GoldCrusader
Member
(04-01-2017, 04:49 PM)
GoldCrusader's Avatar
Oh please people how about you guys wait a little before going all doom and gloom.
cntr
Banned
(04-01-2017, 04:52 PM)
cntr's Avatar
Yeah, I'm going to wait for the next two episodes before deciding.

But if they screw those up and pad them out, man, just close the thread and tell people to read the manga instead. Nobody tells people to watch Toei's version of One Piece over the manga, and neither should we.
spiritfox
Member
(04-01-2017, 04:52 PM)
I prefer season 1's OP.

But the EP is pretty nice.

Also baby Ochako is too cute.
Moaradin
Member
(04-01-2017, 04:54 PM)
Moaradin's Avatar
MHA shouldn't be put in the same sentence as One Piece when it comes to anime adaptions. It's not even close to that bad.
GoldCrusader
Member
(04-01-2017, 04:54 PM)
GoldCrusader's Avatar
But the MHA anime is great and I'll tell anyone and everyone to watch it. Stop being so dramatic.
cntr
Banned
(04-01-2017, 04:57 PM)
cntr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moaradin

MHA shouldn't be put in the same sentence as One Piece when it comes to anime adaptions. It's not even close to that bad.

Season 1 isn't that bad. But what're they going to do when the arcs start being 15 chapters long, as the arcs after the Sports Festival are? They'd have no choice but to start Toei-ing it up.

So there's literally no reason to bother if they don't shape up soon. The music's the only worthwhile thing, but you can buy the OST separately.
OniBarubary
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:00 PM)
OniBarubary's Avatar

Originally Posted by Puruzi

Honestly what was the point of the recap episode if they were still going to keep adding flashbacks? It wasn't as bad as it was before but there were still too many.

Pretty much. If there's one thing I cannot stand in anime it's pointless and multitudinous recaps. The start of the episode was a complete downer because the recaps just kept coming and gave you no hype or draw.

Which is unfortunate because the rest of the episode played to a strength the anime actually is good at which is letting it's cast breathe. They let the class occupy some space and bounce off each other and it was entertaining to see them just interact.

But as a result so little happened in the episode and specifically nothing to hype you up for the anime. They TOLD you about the festival and were like "This will be a cool thing!" instead of just doing something cool like segueing right to the start before ending as it begins.

The humor keeps having weird issues too like...they linger on jokes too long. Example of good comedic timing? Mineta saying PMS and getting tongueslapped by Tsuyu. It's quick, we get the joke and it has a funny resolve. Example of bad comedic timing? Ochako acting all gung-ho and everyone repeating it and her repeating it and then an internal monologue repeating it. It was funny for the first part and then it just...kept going. It overstayed it's welcome.

Okay episode but with the issues from the first season looking like they're back I'm...hesitant.

Really good ED tho. The song is alright I guess but they focused on the girls and it gave a very nice feeling as they're unfortunately not often involved in big stuff as much as the guys.
GoldCrusader
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:01 PM)
GoldCrusader's Avatar
Ok so how about we wait for that to happen instead of currently predicting the worst and saying we should close the thread?

First episode was great, so let's talk about how Deku was so awesome in that intro.
cntr
Banned
(04-01-2017, 05:04 PM)
cntr's Avatar
They fucked season 1 up, and they pretty much did a mediocre job with episode 1 of this season. I'm not seeing many reasons to be hopeful.

But I'm still gonna wait and see, yes.
Puruzi
Banned
(04-01-2017, 05:04 PM)

Originally Posted by OniBarubary


The humor keeps having weird issues too like...they linger on jokes too long. Example of good comedic timing? Mineta saying PMS and getting tongueslapped by Tsuyu. It's quick, we get the joke and it has a funny resolve. Example of bad comedic timing? Ochako acting all gung-ho and everyone repeating it and her repeating it and then an internal monologue repeating it. It was funny for the first part and then it just...kept going. It overstayed it's welcome.

Iida's bravos were hilarious at least
cntr
Banned
(04-01-2017, 05:06 PM)
cntr's Avatar
Also, keep in mind that Season 1 was unpopular in Japan because of how badly it was adapted. If they mess Season 2 up, chances are that we don't get a Season 3.

It also severely damages MHA's chance to get big in the west, since anime is more popular than manga for some reason.
OniBarubary
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:06 PM)
OniBarubary's Avatar

Originally Posted by Puruzi

Iida's bravos were hilarious at least

Yeah, the hallway scene with Ochako was actually really really well done. Funny and cute while developing her character well. Iida hand movements are always funny.
GoldCrusader
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:08 PM)
GoldCrusader's Avatar

Originally Posted by cntr

They fucked season 1 up, and they pretty much did a mediocre job with episode 1 of this season. I'm not seeing many reasons to be hopeful.

But I'm still gonna wait and see, yes.

So wait now they did a mediocre job with episode one? Didn't you say it was really good on the previous page?

I thought episode 1 was great so I have all the reasons to be hopeful.
hosannainexcelsis
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:08 PM)
hosannainexcelsis's Avatar

Originally Posted by cntr

Also, keep in mind that Season 1 was unpopular in Japan because of how badly it was adapted.

Source?
GoldCrusader
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:10 PM)
GoldCrusader's Avatar
Also it's cool to note that the MHA recap had a higher rating then Naruto's last episode.
cntr
Banned
(04-01-2017, 05:12 PM)
cntr's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldCrusader

So wait now they did a mediocre job with episode one? Didn't you say it was really good on the previous page?

I thought episode 1 was great so I have all the reasons to be hopeful.

It was a good episode but as an adaptation, it was mediocre, yes. It'll be alright if the rest of the episodes are better done, but if they're all going to be like this, then yeah, it'll retroactively be a mediocre episode.

Originally Posted by hosannainexcelsis

Source?

Nothing I can cite, but that's the general opinion I've seen from people in Japan. And it's pretty obvious when you compare the weak ratings of Season 1 with the high sales of the manga.
ShadyK54
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:12 PM)
ShadyK54's Avatar
This & AoT on the same day, I love it!

Can't wait to watch this later.
Grexeno
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:13 PM)
Grexeno's Avatar

Originally Posted by cntr

Nothing I can cite, but that's the general opinion I've seen from people in Japan. And it's pretty obvious when you compare the weak ratings of Season 1 with the high sales of the manga.

I believe Nico Nico Douga or something voted it their Most Disappointing Show or something like that.
GoldCrusader
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:15 PM)
GoldCrusader's Avatar
And as for popularity in the west I wouldn't worry it's already pretty hot. It's been the #1 show on funimation since forever and #2 right now on Crunchyroll. It ranked high on many anime community's list and received the best anime of the year in the New York times.

And the manga sells super well.
Finaj
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:16 PM)
Finaj's Avatar
Wait, people actually disliked season 1 of MHA? The consensus I found in most anime communities was universal praise. Is the anime not adapting the story faithfully?
cntr
Banned
(04-01-2017, 05:17 PM)
cntr's Avatar
Also, the thing is, there's no reason to stretch the episodes out. They had a plausible reason with Season 1 because the episode count was awkward, but with Season 2? The episode count is literally ideal for the best ending point, Chapter 95.

The only reason they would stretch out like this is if they were greedy and wanted to get more money from more seasons. Hence, they'd literally be like Toei.

The only reason I can see them doing it like this with this episode is if they want the next few ones to end at a certain points, and couldn't adapt that many chapters this episode. Hence why I'm waiting for the next two episodes before deciding.

Originally Posted by Finaj

Wait, people actually disliked season 1 of MHA? The consensus I found in most anime communities was universal praise. Is the anime not adapting the story faithfully?

Yeah, it was a mediocre adaptation. I don't know where you've been looking, but Season 1 received mixed reactions from both anime-first viewers and manga readers, where the equivalent section of the manga received genuinely universal praise.
GoldCrusader
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:17 PM)
GoldCrusader's Avatar

Originally Posted by Finaj

Wait, people actually disliked season 1 of MHA? The consensus I found in most anime communities was universal praise. Is the anime not adapting the story faithfully?

Only a few people here. The anime adapted things well.
Moaradin
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:17 PM)
Moaradin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Finaj

Wait, people actually disliked season 1 of MHA? The consensus I found in most anime communities was universal praise. Is the anime not adapting the story faithfully?

No, it's extremely faithful. Some people didn't like the pacing, which was kinda slow.
Subpar Spatula
It's not like you to say sorry, I was waiting on a different story. This time I'm mistaken for handing u a heart worth breaking. I've been wrong, I've been down into the bottom of every bottle. These 5 words in my head scream "Are we having fun yet"
(04-01-2017, 05:17 PM)
Subpar Spatula's Avatar

Originally Posted by Finaj

Wait, people actually disliked season 1 of MHA? The consensus I found in most anime communities was universal praise. Is the anime not adapting the story faithfully?

Season 1 was painful due to pacing, loads of exposition and the dredge that was character development (whiny kid is always whiny with a slight change at the end; an angry kid is always angry with a slight change at the end).
Puruzi
Banned
(04-01-2017, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Finaj

Wait, people actually disliked season 1 of MHA? The consensus I found in most anime communities was universal praise. Is the anime not adapting the story faithfully?

It adapted the story faithfully, but extremely slowly. The manga pacing is incredibly brisk so it was pretty annoying to have everything drag so much in the anime.
Raxus
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:20 PM)
Raxus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moaradin

No, it's extremely faithful. Some people didn't like the pacing, which was kinda slow.

13 episodes for 22ish chapters. Recaps aside this is looking to be a bit stronger in every way.
hosannainexcelsis
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:21 PM)
hosannainexcelsis's Avatar

Originally Posted by cntr

Nothing I can cite, but that's the general opinion I've seen from people in Japan. And it's pretty obvious when you compare the weak ratings of Season 1 with the high sales of the manga.

OK, I haven't spoken to anyone in Japan about it. About the ratings, it should be noted that TV anime ratings are falling precipitously across the board so are of limited use now in determining whether people like a particular show or not. Season 2 should get a ratings boost just by airing in the timeslot before Detective Conan though.
cntr
Banned
(04-01-2017, 05:22 PM)
cntr's Avatar
It was "faithful", except the manga relied on the pacing to pull it off. Hence the mixed reactions. The material Season 2 covers can stand up on its own better, but it also relies heavily on the manga's brisk pacing.

Originally Posted by Subpar Spatula

Season 1 was painful due to pacing, loads of exposition and the dredge that was character development (whiny kid is always whiny with a slight change at the end; an angry kid is always angry with a slight change at the end).

Like, this complaint was literally a non-issue with the manga. The character development in those 21 chapters was far more obvious in the manga, because of the pacing. The same pacing that Season 1 discarded completely.

There's also other issues, like the iffy art, major moments being botched or diluted, and so on. The season shaped up in the last two episodes, but then it ended.
OniBarubary
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:23 PM)
OniBarubary's Avatar
What you have to understand is people aren't dogging on the show and they aren't shitting on Season 1 because they hate MHA.

Almost everyone you see in this OT posts regularly, every week or more, in the Manga OT and fucking LOVE the manga. I LOVE the manga. cntr and Grexeno LOVE the manga. Puruzi LOVES big titties.

The problem then becomes that because we are very invested in the series, when the anime was announced we get hyped and excited. We want it to do well. We want the people who see it to like it like we do. We want it to be a great adaptation so that we can see something we truly enjoy in another format that might heighten certain scenes or characters or fights.

And so when we get a fairly middling show that botches a lot of impactful moments or handles the source material poorly such as the infamous pacing issues and shit art that they had to fix in the Blu-rays such as Shigaraki's intro scene being awful compared to his manga intro or the redone scene it hits us all the harder. We see what it could be and what potential it had to be great and then it just...falters and stumbles and people see that faltering and stumbling and go "Well this show is kinda lame" and we're all "No no, MHA is really really good, we swear" and it becomes frustrating to see something we love turn into a mediocre and mishandled attempt.

We're not dipping on the first episode for no reason, your feud with AnimeGAF negativity or controlling the flow of conversation notwithstanding because it certainly carries weight. But when you have an entire season of evidence and disappointment resting on your backburner and the first episode of the new season had hope for change and...is showing some very clear indications that it did not learn the right lessons from it's problems in the first season it's not absurd for all of us to be wary. This isn't negativity for negativity's sake or trying to one up each other in how cleverly we can rag on a series or seeing how many times we can shove a big word into a bad review to make it look like we actually have some modicum of a critical and well-educated eye, it's people who love the source material getting continuously disappointed with the execution of it's adaptation and worrying that it will hurt people's image of My Hero Academia as a whole.
Diablos54
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:24 PM)
Diablos54's Avatar
Just finished season 1 last night and season 2's here already?! Awesome!
Puruzi
Banned
(04-01-2017, 05:24 PM)
I also love the manga too

:P
Moaradin
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:25 PM)
Moaradin's Avatar
Tbh I'm fine if the anime expands on some things. This tournament arc has a lot of opportunities to expand on fights and so on. Even the manga does this with the volume releases. A lot of new content compared to the WSJ version.
Neoxon
Junior Member
(04-01-2017, 05:25 PM)
Neoxon's Avatar
Yup, the dub's on point. Hopefully they can continue to get the dub out on the same day as the subs past Episode 6.
cntr
Banned
(04-01-2017, 05:27 PM)
cntr's Avatar
The only reason I'm not giving up entirely is because this episode was fun enough, the expanded material was good, and I could see them deciding that the next 3 chapters were better as their own episode.

So it all really depends on what they do with next week's episode, and maybe the week after that.
OniBarubary
Member
(04-01-2017, 05:27 PM)
OniBarubary's Avatar

Originally Posted by Puruzi

I also love the manga too

:P

Yeah yeah, a likely story

Thread Tools