• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

imBask
(04-18-2017, 12:03 AM)
Apparently, partners got an email for the new Subscriptions beta (leaked email below)

The gist of it is that there will now be tiers at $5, $10 and $25.

That sounds pretty cool to me. Lots of people are willing to throw $25 to help out streamers they like, and it'll probably help the mid-range streamers with a dedicated fanbase a whole lot. It might also reduce the need to have a Patreon alongside your stream subscriptions for a lot of them (which sucks for Patreon)

Reddit thread about it
shoutout to monotonetim calling everyone dweebs in the comment

Lock this up if the overlay is too big
shira
(04-18-2017, 12:04 AM)
Is there any streamer worth $25 a month?

I don't think anyone can give me double the entertainment value of say Netflix
Pikma
(04-18-2017, 12:05 AM)
OP is a dweeb
Fahzgoolin
The idea of subscribing to get emotes is hilariously stupid to me.
-Mutsukki-

Originally Posted by shira

Some people have the disposable income and really like helping people they enjoy
Xando
(04-18-2017, 12:06 AM)
So 20 bucks more for more emojis?

I'm getting too old for this
Stone Ocean

People spend more on Patreon for shows with weekly/monthly/irregular release schedules so why not for people that stream several hours a day every day?
SteveO409
Did you know Halo invented the FPS?

You'll be surprise. There are many viewers that call their streamer "dad" because they spend 5+ hours a day everyday. Destiny the streamer has this option for years on his private site and the market speaks for itself(yeah he has tons of subs that pay him $20+ a month)
imBask

I think it's more about support than value, like I wouldn't pay $25 a month, but $10 if I really like you and I feel like you're struggling to make this your full time job? hey, maybe why not

Originally Posted by Pikma

OP is a dweeb

no YOU'RE a dweeb
shira
(04-18-2017, 12:07 AM)

Originally Posted by -Mutsukki-

Some people have the disposable income and really like helping people they enjoy

Well outside of the people that give$100+ donations - is there a streamer out there that anyone thinks is worth $25 to regular folk?

Originally Posted by imBask

I think it's more about support than value, like I wouldn't pay $25 a month, but $10 if I really like you and I feel like you're struggling to make this your full time job? hey, maybe why not

no YOU'RE a dweeb

Originally Posted by SteveO409

You'll be surprise. There are many viewers that call their streamer "dad" because they spend 5+ hours a day everyday. Destiny the streamer has this option for years on his private site and the market speaks for itself(yeah he has tons of subs that pay him $20+ a month)

OIC.

Well if anyone reading this thread knows of a streamer worth $25 a month lemme know. I want to see what a dedicated super-twitch streamer is like.
ShooterMcGavin
The "new subscriber" sound effects are going to be even more obnoxious now on some streams, aren't they?

$25 subscriber basically destroys your headphones immediately.
Strakt

lirik imo

but he already makes a ton
Pikma
(04-18-2017, 12:08 AM)

Not for you or me but people donate a shitton of $$$$ to streamers on a daily basis, so there are definitely some people willing to put in that sort of money

It will probably also motivate streamers to give something back other than emotes, which is good imo.
imBask
(04-18-2017, 12:08 AM)

Well outside of the people that give$100+ donations - is there a streamer out there that anyone thinks is worth $25 to regular folk?

Destiny has his own subscription model on his website, very similar to this, and there are PLENTY of people willing to pay $10-20 a month
border
wears the band's shirts to the band's concerts
can't comprehend the origin of terms
(04-18-2017, 12:09 AM)
It's a really sad shame that the only way they can think to monetize their service further is "More emotes!!!1!"
Pikma

Originally Posted by imBask

no YOU'RE a dweeb

You're the dweebs KING
cjw
What is the percentage Twitch take?
Triforce141
(04-18-2017, 12:10 AM)
I wonder what this will mean to Twitch Prime members
imBask
(04-18-2017, 12:10 AM)

Originally Posted by cjw

IIRC it's 50%, but less if you're HUGE and/or you've been there forever
Boke1879
(04-18-2017, 12:11 AM)
This would probably be awesome for smaller streams that do have dedicated followings.

Also like some here have said. Many people are willing to throw $25 a month to their favorite streamers.
MyNameIsRye

Originally Posted by cjw

Half. It still seems better to just donate to a steamer if you like them.
Mushroomer25
Seems like they want that Patreon money. People want to support creators they like, and Twitch subscriptions do just that. So why not offer higher tiers, for those audiences that want to be more supportive?

And if Twitch takes a percentage off top, that's just a part of the business.
CreepingFear
Banned
Fuck outta here with $25. I know it's optional, but I'd probably cancel Netflix if it was that much.
Nzyme32

Originally Posted by ShooterMcGavin

The "new subscriber" sound effects are going to be even more obnoxious now on some streams, aren't they?

$25 subscriber basically destroys your headphones immediately.

The answer to this is simple - never watch streamers that have shitty readouts and sound effects for subs.

There are plenty of great streamers not bothering with that and just keeping on with the game and other fun that isn't obnoxious
SZips
(04-18-2017, 12:12 AM)
I'd like to think that the streamers I watch and the couple that I subscribe to won't offer exclusives for the $10 and $25 tiers, but you never know. If that happens, I really don't think I can support them any more with views or even a "basic" subscription.

Plus you just know there's going to be that guy that locks all of their emotes behind the $25 tier.

Originally Posted by cjw

It varies from streamer to streamer. I believe the "max" that they take is 50% on the monthly $4.99 subscription fee. So for every $5 sub, the Partners get $2.50. I've heard of some Partners getting more than that, but nobody really talks about it.
kadotsu
Yay, even more obnoxious sub alerts to shit up streams. I'll also love the endless discussions about the subs with the chat.
tearsintherain

Originally Posted by cjw

historically 50%

i do feel old, i have a hard time parting with my amazon twitch prime sub and it takes me a few days to figure out who to give it to, i've never given a single dollar to anyone else. hey, if kids like it, more power to em
FZZ
(04-18-2017, 12:13 AM)
It's funny they're using emotes as incentives for higher sub prices

bc as Twitch gets bigger and becomes more mainstream I see Twitch chat dying or being set to automatically be off, it's legitimately a toxic thing about the site and everyone just puts it off as being toxic and refuses to address any of the problems it has
Mister Saturn

Originally Posted by Fahzgoolin

I subscribe to support the streamer!

And also get rad emotes!
Iadien
Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I have wondered why Twitch hasn't offered this for a while now. Makes perfect sense for those that can and are willing.

Many people do this.
Neptonic
(04-18-2017, 12:14 AM)

If I had the income I would support my favorite people with that much money
ShooterMcGavin

Originally Posted by Nzyme32

The answer to this is simple - never watch streamers that have shitty readouts and sound effects for subs.

There are plenty of great streamers not bothering with that and just keeping on with the game and other fun that isn't obnoxious

Oh trust me, I've transitioned. A lot of good streamers have resorted to this crap, which is a shame.
Mikey Jr.
Twitch takes 50% of those subs. So don't expect $25 is going straight to the streamer.
Ferrio
real-time lotion physics
(04-18-2017, 12:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Mikey Jr.

Twitch takes 50% of those subs. So don't expect $25 is going straight to the streamer.

Ya I still reserve my big donations through paypal only.
ElBoxyBrown
(04-18-2017, 12:15 AM)

OIC.

Well if anyone reading this thread knows of a streamer worth $25 a month lemme know. I want to see what a dedicated super-twitch streamer is like.

https://www.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood

His streams are entertaining.
kulapik
(04-18-2017, 12:17 AM)
I sub to moonmoon for the emotes so I hope he doesn't move any to the premium caps moon2SMUG
Lemstar

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

Iadien
Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

Originally Posted by Mikey Jr.

Bigger streamers get more.

Originally Posted by Kalamari

Twitch is becoming less about games and more about extracting money from viewers

Third parties have been taking money from Twitch because they didn't offer other ways to give money, so it makes sense for them to offer more options.
Last edited by Iadien; 04-18-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Blobbers
(04-18-2017, 12:18 AM)
wouldn't you just do a tip for bigger amounts since twitch doesn't take a huge cut?
Neptonic

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

Everyone who has a connection to Max are extremely funny and entertaining people.
I'd say the same about the Vinesauce crew.
Kalamari
Twitch is becoming less about games and more about extracting money from viewers
Cirruss
(04-18-2017, 12:19 AM)

Originally Posted by FZZ

It's funny they're using emotes as incentives for higher sub prices

bc as Twitch gets bigger and becomes more mainstream I see Twitch chat dying or being set to automatically be off, it's legitimately a toxic thing about the site and everyone just puts it off as being toxic and refuses to address any of the problems it has

Twitch chat is the best thing about watching streams. The Power Rangers marathon wouldn't have been anywhere near as entertaining without chat. A streamer who keeps a well moderated chat that helps foster a good community enhances the experience a lot.
imBask
(04-18-2017, 12:19 AM)
Like, this is great for smaller streamers IMO, but also for bigger streamers... I can't imagine how many of Lirik's sub will switch to the $25 option and just how richer guys like him are going to get
Salty Rice
(04-18-2017, 12:20 AM)
There are soon more options to throw money at somebody on twitch than streamers.
RecRoulette

Baleoce

Originally Posted by border

It's a really sad shame that the only way they can think to monetize their service further is "More emotes!!!1!"

That's my take-away from this. The lack of imagination is real.
atr0cious
(04-18-2017, 12:21 AM)

Servers don't run on goodwill.
ElBoxyBrown

Originally Posted by Lemstar

Xando

Amazon gotta get that money back
Boke1879
(04-18-2017, 12:22 AM)

Again. It's optional. At least about half of that money does go to streamers.

That said you never have to sub to someone ever if you don't want to. Twitch is big now, but I feel it's really going to grow over the next few years.

Hell you can pretty much do anything on there now. That with the live interaction..It's a great model.