• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 best selling games of 2016 in the US, also genre split

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks to Saty for noticing this.

bestselling2016usyduv0.png

Source: http://essentialfacts.theesa.com/mobile/

Krakn3Dfx

Bloodborne robbed.

Not a single exclusive actually. That's kind of weird.

Edit: Well, except Pokemon. That's to be expected.

Mediking

I've always wondered why "Adventure" is a name for a genre... isn't almost everything technically an "adventure" EXCEPT sport games? And even that could be argued because of story mode in basketball games.

I just think Adventure should fall under Role-Playing...

border

#15 Final Fantasy XV
#16 Titanfall 2

That is either really great news for Titanfall 2, or really terrible news for Final Fantasy XV.

Velkyn

Absolutely fascinating infographic. I didn't realize FFXV had sold so well!

Also; Madden is no surprise, but to see NBA2k17 hot on its heels is pretty shocking to me.

Kill3r7

Infinite Warfare taking #1 despite releasing in November and having lower sales than all other CODs

holy fuck

Yes, COD is that big.

Absolutely fascinating infographic. I didn't realize FFXV had sold so well!

Also; Madden is no surprise, but to see NBA2k17 hot on its heels is pretty shocking to me.

Not really. NBA has been doing really well the last few years while Madden has slowed down significantly.

Surprised that The Division is below both of them.

Makonero

Where would Pokemon be if they counted both versions as a single game (since they basically are, an insignificant group of people bought both)?

#15 Final Fantasy XV
#16 Titanfall 2

That is either really great news for Titanfall 2, or really terrible news for Final Fantasy XV.

FFXV did what 1-2 million in the US, I think?

I was honestly surprised Titanfall 2 was that high after how much I heard about it bombing. I guess some of those discounts must've really helped.

Where would Pokemon be if they counted both versions as a single game (since they basically are, an insignificant group of people bought both)?

Yeah, I wish we could know this.

For anyone thinking Rockstar should annualized GTA just as Activision annualizes their buggest franchises you only need to see the three year old GTAV at #3.

blakep267

FFXV did what 1-2 million in the US, I think?

I was honestly surprised Titanfall 2 was that high after how much I heard about it bombing. I guess some of those discounts must've really helped.

Yeah, I wish we could know this.
It was relative to what Titanfall 1 opened with and did.

What makes shooters so popular as a genre? This is anecdotal but it seems like every person I've met who just games more casually and isn't super into it like us tends to play FPS games either the most or pretty much exclusively.
Is it just because they're easy to pick up and play with buddies or is it something else?

Dark Souls III sold more than Uncharted 4? Mmm... is that accurate? I didn't know Dark Souls was that big I mean... it means it sold more than 8m copies.

Also Titanfall 2... I thought that game bombed.

Edit: Oh it's just US... still weird I guess.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Someone should go to jail for committing this crime of graphic design.

EDIT: I thought TF2 bomba'd. I guess not!

Dark Souls III sold more than Uncharted 4? Mmm... is that accurate? I didn't know Dark Souls was that big I mean... it means it sold more than 8m copies.

Also Titanfall 2... I thought that game bombed.

Edit: Oh it's just US... still weird I guess.

Dark Souls is huge and on three platforms. Game is at 1.5m on Steam alone. You've gotta imagine PS4 is way above that maybe even double since PS is the original home of Souls. Who knows about Xbox.

So Dark Souls 3 outsold Uncharted 4?

I never would have imagined it had the bigger audience.

Uncharted was bundled a lot and I am guessing this chart doesn't count bundled games. Otherwise it's rather impossible it to be behind DS III as we know Uncharted reached 8.7 million globally as of 21th december and that is way way more than Dark Souls III.

Steveo

Banned
I'm surprised it sold that well; given all the negative word-of-mouth around it.

There's a very large group of people who only play Call of Duty and nothing else. If Call of Duty went away, they probably wouldn't play video games anymore.

Top Bottom