• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Ōkami
(04-30-2017, 12:38 AM)

When looking at the Nintendo investors site as well as their quarterly report and comparing it to the data released over a year ago this data can be concluded, note that this is just what we get from there, chances are that something like Fire Emblem Fates shipped more units than Wii Sports, we just simply don't know.

1 2 Switch was close to 1 million and Yo-kai Watch was around 800k in Europe, apart from that this is more or less all the data that is available.

This includes bundled sales as well as Nintendo Select titles.

Also little correction, Pokémon ORAS was 1.90m not 190k.
DecoReturns
(04-30-2017, 12:40 AM)
I always wonder why I see Wii titles in my target, guess they still sale
Dark-Cloudz
(04-30-2017, 12:41 AM)
Wii Sports sold HOW MANY?

What's the all time individual software sales record?
BY2K
Membero Americo
(04-30-2017, 12:42 AM)
What the fuck the legs on some of those games.
Oregano
(04-30-2017, 12:43 AM)
*Looks at Luigi's Mansion Sales*

Guess we know what NLG are working on.
Dark Cloud
Lmao at those Wii games still selling wtf
batbeg
What the heck, some of those evergreen title legs are outstanding. Several of the Wii games being on there blows my mind.
WonderzL
Banned
(04-30-2017, 12:44 AM)
i simply CANNOT with mario party 10's sales.

the series won't ever change will it
NinjaCoachZ
Mario Kart Wii, Brawl, and NSMB Wii collectively sold half a million in 2016. Holy shit.
NMFried

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud

Lmao at those Wii games still selling wtf

I feel like Nintendo could sell a $50 Wii bundled with New Super Mario Bros. and Wii Sports and it would sell for eternity.
Dark-Cloudz
(04-30-2017, 12:45 AM)
10 year old games selling 1/4 million....

Nintendo evergreen trope is the real deal. Some black magic shit.
OrbitalBeard
And people wonder why Nintendo are reluctant to discount their software.
Bentendo
Any word on how Wooly World is doing?
Yahsper
Where is Twilight Princess HD?
Son Of D
(04-30-2017, 12:46 AM)
What impresses me the most is Mario Kart 7 selling nearly 2m copies that long after launch.
sphinx
the piano man
it's ridiculous. blows the mind

Wii stuff there selling in freaking 2017
Geno Breaker
Who would buy Brawl when Smash Wii U is effectively a way better version of it? Would it be because people want to play Project M?
SkyMasterson

Originally Posted by Oregano

*Looks at Luigi's Mansion Sales*

Guess we know what NLG are working on.

Wow, seriously. Had no idea it sold that well!
Boy Wander
It's easy to forget sometimes the sheer legs that a lot of Nintendo titles have. I mean, wow at Luigi's Mansion and WW HD doing near half a million sales. Crazy.
OrbitalBeard

Originally Posted by Geno Breaker

Who would buy Brawl when Smash Wii U is effectively a way better version of it? Would it be because people want to play Project M?

Plenty of consumers never upgraded from Wii.
batbeg
(04-30-2017, 12:47 AM)
Smash 4 has sold almost 11 million copies between the two systems, not bad at all compared to the Wii, which had the benefit of being in the middle of a sales storm.
Mister Wolf
(04-30-2017, 12:48 AM)
Metroid isn't that popular compared to their other franchises. No wonder they don't bother with it much.
Turrican3

Originally Posted by OrbitalBeard

This.
ArkhamFantasy
Some of these numbers are just insane. Even their smaller stuff sells 5-6 million, and their big stuff still sells 200k nearly 10 years later. Insanity.
NinjaCoachZ

The Wii is cheap, lots of people still have theirs, or are just more interested in that than the Wii U. This is anecdotal but I was in a Fry's once and I saw an old couple looking at a Wii U and a Wii Mini, asking the clerk about it, and then later going through the checkout with the Wii Mini. I can guarantee there are thousands more stories like that regarding the two systems.

Originally Posted by Yahsper

Where is Twilight Princess HD?

I don't know i the NA sales of it were ever made public, but I'm sure it's somewhere around a million, maybe just below.

Originally Posted by Bentendo

Any word on how Wooly World is doing?

Based on this thread, on Wii U it broke a million.
Bentendo
(04-30-2017, 12:49 AM)
Holy CRAP at Splatoon's numbers. Would not have guessed in a million years it was almost at 5 million. I would have guessed a little over a million TOPS.
Boy Wander
Splatoon being only half a million or so sales behind Mario 3d World after giving that game an 18 month head start is pretty amazing too.
AquaWateria
Most Third Party and First Party wished they had these kind of legs.
DecoReturns
(04-30-2017, 12:50 AM)

My friends had been drinking all night and suddenly had the urge to play Smash, Me and another Friend drove (we didn't drink) to 3 different targets and bought a copy of Brawl.

Drunken Smash borthers was pretty fun, although I don't drink and still got owned to wasted friends lol.

Originally Posted by batbeg

Smash 4 has sold almost 11 million copies between the two systems, not bad at all compared to the Wii, which had the benefit of being in the middle of a sales storm.

Its actually almost 14 million.
Oregano
(04-30-2017, 12:51 AM)

Holy CRAP at Splatoon's numbers. Would not have guessed in a million years it was almost at 5 million. I would have guessed a little over a million TOPS.

Splatoon sold like 1 and 1/2 Million in Japan alone.
Principate
Saint Titanfall
Mario Kart Wii closing in on that 37 million! Can't be stopped!
SatoAilDarko
Basically they are comparing the increase in the sales of titles the Nintendo list here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/fin...are/index.html

Hence while several titles are missing when they pull obviously be above 30,000.
Boy Wander
(04-30-2017, 12:52 AM)

Seriously, anytime anybody starts rolling out the old Nintendo tax and overpriced games bullshit, someone should literally just paste this table as a response. It's basically irrefutable evidence that their policies are completely justifiable in light of the longevity of their sales.
Madao
(04-30-2017, 12:53 AM)
how come Twilight Princess HD isn't there?

also, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe makes complete sense to exist since it's the most powerful IP they have after Pokemon. not even the legendary 2D Mario pulls the numbers MK does on any console or handheld.

seriously, Mario Kart is magical. when was the last time a spinoff overtook the main series at such high levels of sales?
NinjaCoachZ
(04-30-2017, 12:54 AM)

Originally Posted by DecoReturns

Its actually almost 14 million.

Combining the Wii U and 3DS versions, SSB4 is now actually the best-selling game in the series. I think this is new information.

64: 5.55 million
Melee: 7.41 million
Brawl: 13.21 million
3DS: 8.72 million
Wii U: 5.20 million
Wii U + 3DS: 13.92 million

With the Wii U being discontinued, SSB for Wii U is probably going to settle as the lowest-selling individual release unless 350k Wii U owners who haven't bought it yet run out and grab it.
Nanashrew
Banned
(04-30-2017, 12:58 AM)

That's the evergreen strategy. It's a very successful strategy and is sustainable and lasting and keeps things relevant long past original release.
Gleethor
(04-30-2017, 01:00 AM)

And now you understand why Splatoon 2 is coming to Switch so soon.
Madao
(04-30-2017, 01:03 AM)
notice how most of the Wii U games that had a prequel on 3DS sold about half of what their 3DS prequels did.

now, imagine what Splatoon could have done on a system that was popular.

it wouldn't surprise me if Splatoon 2 beats Zelda BotW to the 10 million mark.

in fact, i'm calling it now. one year after Splatoon 2 releases, it will be at 10 million WW sales.
mdubs
(04-30-2017, 01:06 AM)
This is why there's no incentive for Nintendo to discount their older titles, still selling like hotcakes years after the fact
ArkhamFantasy
(04-30-2017, 01:06 AM)

Splatoon is a new core franchise for Nintendo, its huge. Its going to explode now that its on a financially viable platform.
Jackano
(04-30-2017, 01:10 AM)
Predicting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sales will be interesting.
It's a port and we don't know what will be the status of MK9. Otherwise, that would be another giant legs monster.
Parshias7
(04-30-2017, 01:11 AM)
I knew that Splatoon was a success, but I thought it was like a 2 or 3 million success. Nearly 5 million units? Damn, kid squid.
UnemployedVillain
(04-30-2017, 01:13 AM)

Wii Sports Resort sold 33m copies?! Now I'm curious what the top selling peripherals for consoles are. No wonder Nintendo was confident enough to make a flagship series (Zelda) require the wiimotion+

Originally Posted by Oregano

Splatoon sold like 1 and 1/2 Million in Japan alone.

Most popular new IP in Japan (outside of the Wii Sports series) a long time. Since the PS1 era and Gran Turismo, maybe?
The Giant
(04-30-2017, 01:18 AM)
Wind Waker HD broke 2 million. That's good.
Kusagari
(04-30-2017, 01:21 AM)
The fact Splatoon took off on what was effectively a dead system says enough about its potential.

I expect 2 to EXPLODE on the Switch.
requiem02
Banned
(04-30-2017, 01:25 AM)
This just goes to show what a bad job Nintendo did at convincing people to upgrade to the Wii U. Always wondered why my local game stores still carried so many Wii games - now I know.
Dark Cloud
(04-30-2017, 01:27 AM)

Originally Posted by mdubs

This is why there's no incentive for Nintendo to discount their older titles, still selling like hotcakes years after the fact

Ding ding ding
Vital Tundra
(04-30-2017, 01:28 AM)
Oh my god the legs on these titles are disgusting! Nintendos game stick the hell around. Wii Sports sold 30,000???? Excuse me?
Serenitynow
(04-30-2017, 01:30 AM)

And some people were saying prelaunch that it would do W101 numbers.
KingBroly
Banned
(04-30-2017, 01:31 AM)
Mario Kart Wii, man...