• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Far Cry 5 set in Wild West 19th Century [Actually likely modern day Montana]

Will Ubisoft manage to keep any secrets for E3 (or even for their pre-E3 unveils)?

Results are only viewable after voting.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
far_cry_4.jpg

The next Far Cry game looks like it's going to have a Spaghetti Western setting.

WcI53yd.jpg

The setting of Far Cry 5, or whatever the next Far Cry game ends up being called, has apparently leaked online in the most unconventional way.

Great Falls Tribune reported about a film crew shooting a live-action trailer for an unannounced game near a church in the Montana prairie. Jeff Guillot, a producer on the shoot, revealed to the paper that this is for a game to be released in September.

The more obvious franchise here is Far Cry. Early in 2015, Ubisoft polled players about several possible settings it could use for the next Far Cry game. ”A game in the Spaghetti Western style set in the 19th century Americas" was one of those choices.

Source VGA247

Edit:
Send me to Kyrat if old.

Update:

Hey - since my name has been attached to this thing, I just want to be clear: all I've heard is that the new Far Cry is set in Montana. I cannot confirm or deny anything "wild west" or "19th century," and all of that stuff actually feels like a big stretch from bottom-feeding rumor websites. I have no idea whether or not it's true.

Update 2:

The Giant Bomb crew received an email about it in December and the game is indeed set in Montana and the main character is a COP.

Update 3:

Giant Bomb email tip said:
"According to him, the game will be set in present day, the protagonist is a cop who is trying run down a rebel group who has taken over some ranches and whatnot in the Montana region of the United States. Not 100% if it's Montana, but it's somehwere around there."

hawk2025

Whether or not the producer has worked with Ubi in the past seems like a massive stretch compared to the much, much simpler conclusion that he is working with Rockstar as well.

This is a massive reach.

13ruce

Banned
Ehm yes please! I really like the Far Cry game series and this is a setting that would be fun as heck in first person.

Woaaah, colour me intrigued. As much as I like RDR, I always felt that the farcry nature system would make for a far more lively wild west game. Gonna be interesting to see those to go head to head.

I don't get how you go from elephants and sharks to Montana and keep things remotely as exciting, but I'm curious to find out.

Farcry Primal was close to my favorite game of 2016 (I know how insane that sounds), I even platinumed it.

Westerns are my favorite genre, so this sounds amazing. But I can't help but feel RDR2 will fill that itch, not sure this is necessary... wish it was months apart. I wont play any western games until RDR2, don't want to taint my experience.

kuYuri

If this is true, if Far Cry can nail an atmosphere similar to RDR, I'm so in. Far Cry tends to do well with that, so I'm confident in that anyway.

Some Nobody

Whether or not the producer has worked with Ubi in the past seems like a massive stretch compared to the much, much simpler conclusion that he is working with Rockstar as well.

This is a massive reach.

Yeah. Everyone said it was RDR2...then Jason came along and said it was a different thing. You're trying to Occam's Razor this thing but Far Cry 5 is already rumored for this year and Ubi's already shown us that they're willing to place the series in a variety of locations and time settings with Primal. This could easily be FC5. Hopefully so, since something will have to scratch the Wild West itch when RDR2 gets delayed into 2018.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not holding my breath. Though I've lamented the lack of Wild West games, Far Cry is the quintessential series of appealing settings and uninteresting game design. So like Far Cry 4 and Primal a part of me wants to play it, but another part of me is pretty sure I'll get bored within the first couple of hours.

Fingers crossed there's some key differences in the design and it's not yet another copy of what we're familiar with.

hawk2025

Yeah. Everyone said it was RDR2...then Jason came along and said it was a different thing. You're trying to Occam's Razor this thing but Far Cry 5 is already rumored for this year and Ubi's already shown us that they're willing to place the series in a variety of locations and time settings with Primal. This could easily be FC5. Hopefully so, since something will have to scratch the Wild West itch when RDR2 gets delayed into 2018.

I only went by the linked article here -- I had no idea we had more information pointing this way.

Some Nobody

Farcry Primal was close to my favorite game of 2016 (I know how insane that sounds), I even platinumed it.

Westerns are my favorite genre, so this sounds amazing. But I can't help but feel RDR2 will fill that itch, not sure this is necessary... wish it was months apart. I wont play any western games until RDR2, don't want to taint my experience.

lol, they probably will be. Also, you're acting like gaming is just jam-packed with modern Western games. I'm pretty sure if you're a console gamer that after both of these come out, the # of Western games on the system will be....3? These two, plus Secret Ponchos.

You're not exactly suffering from being drowned in games of this genre.

While I think comparing a Far Cry game to RDR2 is kinda dumb I won't say no to a western Far Cry, especially since it looks like there won't be a PC version of RDR2 at launch (if at all).

That way I get to play at least one western themed game.

True Fire

I find it so weird how AAA is jam packed into the last four months this year. It's been that way for a while, but this year it's especially bad. Everything will be Titanfall 2'd, while niche games are comfortably selling millions in March and April.

blakep267

While isn't be down for more Far cry, having it in the Wild West would mean less guns. How many different revolvers, bows and long barrel rifles can you have

I find it so weird how AAA is jam packed into the last four months this year. It's been that way for a while, but this year it's especially bad. Everything will be Titanfall 2'd, while niche games are comfortably selling millions in March and April.
2015 showed us that a lot of high profile games can sell well at the same time. Maybe people just didn't really want Titanfall or watchdogs this time around

DaciaJC

Gold Member
A first-person Western with Far Cry's quality gunplay and animations does have the potential to be amazing. I hope they put a significant amount of effort in shaking up the gameplay instead of just putting out a reskin like the last three games.

mazillion

Wow, they might be risking RDR2 cutting into their sales if that's the case. I mean, how many people have it in them to get 2 spaghetti western games in one holiday season?

I guess we'll see how it pans out and what the release dates are.

I'm having a hard time imagining clearing outposts with revolvers and slow shooting repeaters in the franchise's arcadey style without the benefit of chaotic explosions, ATVs, and machine guns livening it up.

They would basically have to start from scratch gameplay wise to make this work. Hopefully the gunplay will have some heft to it now.

On second thought, I don't believe this to be for Far Cry. September is four months from now... would they really hold out for this?

RedSwirl

I'm not holding my breath. Though I've lamented the lack of Wild West games, Far Cry is the quintessential series of appealing settings and uninteresting game design. So like Far Cry 4 and Primal a part of me wants to play it, but another part of me is pretty sure I'll get bored within the first couple of hours.

Fingers crossed there's some key differences in the design and it's not yet another copy of what we're familiar with.

This is the biggest thing for me. Far Cry 5 needs to be the one that feels like an actual next-gen leap and not a copy of the Far Cry 3 template. Despite what some on GAF might say, I want the world to feel bigger. I want it to feel more like a functioning place and less like a compressed theme park.

My ultimate hope is that FC get's back to the immersive sim aspirations the first two games had and that it feels less like a Ubisoft collect-a-thon, but who are we kidding? I hope Ubisoft paid attention to Phantom Pain and Breath of the Wild, because both of those games took a lot of the FC formula but added more emphasis on player freedom and systemic gameplay. Both in my opinion are better Far Cry games than Far Cry 4.

Blam

PLEASE DO THIS. Call of Juarez was great and I would kill for a Wild West styled FarCry game.

Top Bottom