• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Patch

Thought this deserved it's own thread so as not to be conflated with the Hotwheels Expansion. Might be worth a try for those who still have it installed and were having trouble hitting 60 FPS.

PC Update Improvements
Alongside the release of the Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels expansion we are pleased to announce numerous critical improvements included in the Windows 10 PC version of the game. These improvements are included in today’s automatic update, and do not require the Hot Wheels expansion to take advantage of.

Expanded Driving Wheel Support
With the most recent update of Windows 10, Windows Creators Edition, we have expanded our list of officially supported steering wheels for PC. The full list of newly supported wheels:

· Logitech Driving Force GT
· Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel
· Logitech G920
· Logitech G29
· Logitech G25
· Logitech G27
· Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V1
· Fanatec CSV2
· Fanatec CSR
· Thrustmaster TS-PC
· Thrustmaster T150
· Thrustmaster T500 RS
· Thrustmaster TMX V1
· Thrustmaster TMX V2
· Thrustmaster T300RS
· Thrustmaster TX 458 Edition
· Thrustmaster TX 599 Edition
· Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition
· Thrustmaster TX F1 Edition
· Thrustmaster TX GTE Edition
· Thrustmaster RGT

Improved CPU Performance
We have observed that a large portion of players are CPU limited when trying to run Forza Horizon 3 at high frame rates, including locked 60 FPS and unlocked. By analyzing telemetry, we have developed targeted optimizations for this group of affected players by increasing the number of concurrent threads used by the render architecture. We have taken further advantage of DX12 capabilities to allow the visuals to be processed out of order during the frame, in order to reduce synchronization stalls and decrease CPU execution duration. These changes result in a significant CPU performance gain on High or Ultra settings when running on PCs of Recommended spec or better.

Updated Thread Model
We have updated our threading affinity model to make better use of all available cores. Along with this change, we have added a new graphics option to disable the new model, should you prefer. This option can be found in the Video Settings menu under “Threaded Optimization”.

More Graphical Options
We have also added some additional graphical options to improve framerate for those playing on lower specification PCs. These include:

· Dynamic Geometry Quality now has a Very Low option
· World Car Level of Detail now has a Very Low option

These are combined with some existing options to create a new “Very Low” preset that can be used with dynamic optimization.

Additionally, all options have had their descriptions updated to include information on how each setting affects the CPU performance, GPU performance, and available VRAM, so that players can better understand the performance impact that tweaking each setting will have.

Updated Minimum Specification
Along with the performance improvements coming with this release, we are lowering the minimum specification to reduce the CPU requirement and the NVIDIA GPU requirement.

Minimum Specification
CPU
i3-4170 @ 3.7Ghz
GPU
NVIDIA GT 740 | AMD R7 250x
VRAM
2GB GDDR5
RAM
8GB
Hard Drive Type
HDD
Resolution
1280 x 720

Noobcraft

A couple people in the PC performance thread with the new patch seem enthusiastic. Hopefully PG finally fixed it!

Strider

Patch notes sound good and impressions in the performance thread are also super positive so far... I'll try as soon as I get home later. Really optimistic tho

Never had a problem with Forza, and now after the update my game crashes! I've rebooted it, made sure no more updates are available. Arggggghhhhh

Spasm

Never had a problem with Forza, and now after the update my game crashes! I've rebooted it, made sure no more updates are available. Arggggghhhhh

Reset the UWP app. Solved my crashing issue.

Start > Settings > Apps > Forza Horizon 3 > Advanced options > Reset.

It'll sync your cloud save as soon as it starts up, so you won't lose anything.

Reset the UWP app. Solved my crashing issue.

Start > Settings > Apps > Forza Horizon 3 > Advanced options > Reset.

It'll sync your cloud save as soon as it starts up, so you won't lose anything.

I was just in the middle of trying that. Thanks, syncing now. Fingers crossed

*Update* - That fixed it!

jelly

That's some good post release support even if the game wasn't hitting top strides at release. Wish other Microsoft games got that same attention.

Same here. I'm not even surprised, this game was a colossal fuck-up from day one. Awful performance, download issues, UWP issues - Forza Horizon 3 has it all.

Theorry

That's some good post release support even if the game wasn't hitting top strides at release. Wish other Microsoft games got that same attention.

Most seem fine? QB was iffy. As i believe that game wasnt planned for PC at all until last minute. But the rest are pretty good with Gears maybe the best PC version of a game from the last couple of years.

Same here. I'm not even surprised, this game was a colossal fuck-up from day one. Awful performance, download issues, UWP issues - Forza Horizon 3 has it all.

Performance is fixed. Download issues aren't a fault of the game. And I'm not even sure what you mean by UWP issues.... Play Anywhere and Multiplayer work fine for myself.

Amneisac

I've been wanting to play this, but my friend and I have been unable to connect to each other in coop the last few times we've tried.

Watevaman

I should've gotten W10 when it was free. Forza is literally the only series on Xbox I care about and FH3 looks great.

Hux1ey

Banned
Performance is fixed. Download issues aren't a fault of the game. And I'm not even sure what you mean by UWP issues....

8 months later. Still cool though.

And UWP is shite, there are plenty of issues, though not really relating to the game much.

Like I keep getting errors trying to download the fucking patch!

I should've gotten W10 when it was free. Forza is literally the only series on Xbox I care about and FH3 looks great.

You can get W10 OEM keys on ebay for like 5 bucks.

jacobeid

Banned
Performance is fixed. Download issues aren't a fault of the game. And I'm not even sure what you mean by UWP issues.... Play Anywhere and Multiplayer work fine for myself.

I tried to download the patch and it deleted my game and started to download all 60ish gigs again. That's a UWP issue. When I first downloaded it back in September it stopped right before the download finished to redownload everything again.

Just hoping the game is fixed and runs well on my setup when I get home...finally.

Performance is fixed. Download issues aren't a fault of the game. And I'm not even sure what you mean by UWP issues....
People had to download multiple times because it deleted itself close to completion. They released the wrong version at one point, resulting in a redoenload for the most unlucky ones. It took the months to install to nything but the OS drive.
Pick one...

Hilarious how shit UWP is that it took this long just to get WHEEL SUPPORT for a racing game.

Glad it's finally there though.

Hux1ey

Banned
People had to download multiple times because it deleted itself close to completion. They released the wrong version at one point, resulting in a redoenload for the most unlucky ones. It took the months to install to nything but the OS drive.
Pick one...

Holy shit I forgot about that, people still have the dev version don't they? With unreleased cars and that.

All these drive posts lol.
The game had wheel support. They just added more.

Stop defending them, the fact that we couldn't use any wheel we wanted on a PC racing game from the beginning is literally inexcusable. Especially wheels as largely popular like the Logitch G series

Kysen

1080GTX, 4770k here and there are still lurches in fluidity at 1080p ultra (unlocked framerate 144hz monitor). By lurches I mean the whole game slows down, almost like slo mode. Doesn't seem any different than when I played months ago.

Theorry

Stop defending them, the fact that we couldn't use any wheel we wanted on a PC racing game from the beginning is literally inexcusable. Especially wheels as largely popular like the Logitch G series

What defending? He said there was no wheel support because of UWP for some reason. But it had wheel support from day one.

What defending? He said there was no wheel support because of UWP for some reason. But it had wheel support from day one.

It had DRM on wheels you could use in the game. No matter what it's stupid because other racing games don't lock your wheel because their stupid proprietary format limits you in what controllers you can use.

Theorry

It had DRM on wheels you could use in the game. No matter what it's stupid because other racing games don't lock your wheel because their stupid proprietary format limits you in what controllers you can use.

Cool. Still different from "no wheel support"

Pick one...

Most of these seem like Windows Store issues. But, I will give you that last one, that was ridiculous.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The description of the CPU fix just sounds odd. They identified via telemetry that some users were CPU limited and this could be alleviated by improving the multithreaded performance?

Does it take rocket science to know people have 4 core or higher CPUs and the higher the core count the lower the per core frequency? And why isn't it heavily multithreaded anyway? It's an Xbox one game running on a shitty CPU so you know that thing has to be optimised across multiple threads.

That's what I mean with UWP-fuckups.

Well UWP != Windows Store. Just like Win32 != Steam.

On-topic: Some reports -

Um.. I don't want to overreact.. but it seems pretty fuckin' good? I booted it up just before installing the patch, all max settings 1440p, hovering around 68-72fps. Booted it up post patch and it's hovering around 100fps and that's with the the new higher detail settings pushed up to Ultra too.

That's just in terms of reducing the CPU bottlenecking (GPU usage at 99%), dunno about consistency of performance yet, but great first impressions. Seeing even and high CPU usage a cross cores too.

Locked 60fps in Surfer's Paradise, including the tram area. No stutter, no drops whatsoever, getting 70-90fps in the city and 90-100 in the rainforest, 100-110 in the outback. i7 4790K 4.4GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600 and GTX1080.

I just fast traveled to surfers paradise, the performance still isn't perfect, it still clearly struggles a lot more than other areas - you can quite easily notice the uneven performance and it can dip worryingly close to 60 with GPU usage dropping sharply, but it's significantly better either way.

I'm on a 1080Ti, 4770k @ 4.5Ghz btw.

Again, very early reports with very limited testing.

5D9FPUw.png

CPU usage across cores. No longer has core0 pegged at 100%.

Just drove through Surfer's Paradise with the framerate unlocked, every setting maxed out and 4xMSAA at 1080p.

I went through at high speed (to hammer the memory) in the rain (GPU/CPU probably). It never dropped below 60 which is entirely unheard of. It was as high at 90 in some parts, I think this finally might be THE patch.

Locked my FPS to 72 (the option it gives because my monitor is 144hz), Surfers Paradise feels a lot more consistent than before when I had it unlocked. May keep it at this.

Forza 6: Apex has some troubles at very high framerates (perf inconsistency), possibly a similar case here. More testing needs to be done though.

Regardless: Absolutely delighted with this patch. Good stuff.

Drove through surfer's paradise on my laptop.. 6700HQ, 16GB ram, GTX 1060 6GB

playing @ 1080p, 'High' preset.

Driving through the Tram area of surfer's paradise.. pre patch.. significant dips, as low as 30 fps

post patch, this area stays at 60. I did see one drop to 45 when I turned around and drove back down, but it jumped right back up to 60 and stayed there. no more noticeable stuttering when driving around in other areas, either..

This patch has made significant improvements, no doubt.

Major improvement here. Did a race in Surfers and drove through during night+rain and got 70-90FPS with some drops to around 60 when it was caching stuff from HDD.

GTX 1070, 4700k, playing at 1080p with all Ultra+MSAA at 4x

Prepatch i got hard drops to around 40 and it never went as high as 60. Very good stuff.

It's definitely an improvement along the tram track at Surfers Paradise. It no longer dips under 60fps on ultra settings + hood cam (which happens to be more demanding than cockpit cam). Frame times are still pretty inconsistent, though. So, that FH3 PC "trademark micro stutter" is still there at times. But, again, it's much improved on the CPU front. GPU performance was never really a bottleneck in my experience, and it's still pretty good.

Tested on both 5820K @ 4.3Ghz. and 7700K @ 4.5Ghz. Will be purchasing the expansion pass later today. =)

EvB

#WHEELDRM

Microsoft desperately want you to buy their steering wheels and only theirs.

Also, why we are being miserable and hyperbolic.

Very low has been patched in so Scorpio version can be 4K

The description of the CPU fix just sounds odd. They identified via telemetry that some users were CPU limited and this could be alleviated by improving the multithreaded performance?

Does it take rocket science to know people have 4 core or higher CPUs and the higher the core count the lower the per core frequency? And why isn't it heavily multithreaded anyway? It's an Xbox one game running on a shitty CPU so you know that thing has to be optimised across multiple threads.

They are not going to tell you "we didn't optimize the game for PC but we still released it".
Making the game run at 60fps on Scorpio is probably why we have this performance update

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They are not going to tell you "we didn't optimize the game for PC but we still released it".
Making the game run at 60fps on Scorpio is probably why we have this performance update

Nah, Scorpio is still jaguar so I can't see it hitting 60fps when the Xbox version is 30

Okada

The game's now consistently running > 70fps on ultra with my GTX 1080.

So happy about this as I still haven't touched Blizzard Mountain.

cwistofu

So... Should I be hoping for steady 60fps at max settings at 1440p with a 1070 and a i5-6600K? Or is that unrealistic?

Top Bottom