• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

loganclaws
Plane Escape Torment
(05-14-2017, 02:23 PM)
MODS: If you can please edit the CASTLEVANIA spelling mistake in the title, thank you.



Developer website: http://the-mig-page.wifeo.com/castle...icles-2013.php
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTh2uo11oI
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8a3iii.../CTLC2.rarhttp

Please note I am in no way affiliated with the development of this game. I am playing the game and felt the need to spread awareness since I can tell a lot of work went into developing it.

1781...

Five years after his great victory over the evil Von Viltheim Family, Efrain Lecarde, the Knight of the Church, has been summoned by the pope.

He must look into reports of troubling events in France.

Efrain is about to enter the worst nightmare imaginable…



About the game:

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 is a Castlevania fan game made by Mig. It is a fan game of the great KONAMI’S CASTLEVANIA« series.

Although lots of sprites and backgrounds are inspired from the Castlevania series, all of the graphics are homemade (No ripped graphics).

The game is a real love letter to Rondo of Blood and SOTN and combines the tight level design and movement from Rondo of Blood with a map, subscreen, absolutely huge world, exploration and secrets similar to SOTN. I even dare say the overall package is better than both games. All sprites are original which is freaking amazing to say the least, even famous enemies and characters don't have their sprites copied but instead are remade from scratch to match the overall graphic design.

The developer even managed to get the original SOTN Alucard voice actor to contribute to the game.

Game is huge and incredibly fun, best Castlevania in a very long time and it's a fan made project, all fans of the 2D Castlevania games need to play this!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4mFfwBwifw

The screenshots below don't do the game justice, please watch the game in motion to get a better idea of the visuals.







Last edited by loganclaws; 05-14-2017 at 06:51 PM.
dadjumper
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:26 PM)
dadjumper's Avatar
Looks pretty rough. Does it play good or
loganclaws
Plane Escape Torment
(05-14-2017, 02:27 PM)

Originally Posted by dadjumper

Looks pretty rough. Does it play good or

Plays amazing and much better in motion, please give it shot. Watch the video in the OT.
Rygar 8 Bit
Jaguar 64-bit
(05-14-2017, 02:27 PM)
Rygar 8 Bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by loganclaws


]



3rd one up from the bottom has slogra so it dose have ripped sprites
SeanTSC
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:29 PM)
SeanTSC's Avatar
When I first saw this title I thought: This is going to be another stupid pachinko machine, isn't it?
mindsale
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:29 PM)
mindsale's Avatar
I don't know the legality but I love me some 'Vania.
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(05-14-2017, 02:30 PM)
SolVanderlyn's Avatar
Whoa! I haven't been following this at all, so this is out of nowhere for me. Can't wait to give it a whirl.
petrvs
Junior Member
(05-14-2017, 02:31 PM)
Hyperbole? Though sell. More info needed


Edit: watched videos. Nostalgia is big. Seems a lot of love got into this. I wish some art and look of menus was better.

Why not creating an original IP and invest in graphic art? Seems you guys got the gameplay solid
Last edited by petrvs; 05-14-2017 at 02:34 PM.
loganclaws
Plane Escape Torment
(05-14-2017, 02:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Rygar 8 Bit


3rd one up from the bottom has slogra so it dose have ripped sprites

I believe the sprite is remade from scratch (I could be wrong though). For those worried about legality, a demo was released a long time ago and Konami okayed it as long as the game is free.
rjc571
Junior Member
(05-14-2017, 02:33 PM)
Looks better than Bloodstaind

Well maybe not, but it does have a weird charmingly amateurish appeal. I may check it out.
loganclaws
Plane Escape Torment
(05-14-2017, 02:33 PM)

Originally Posted by petrvs

Hyperbole? Though sell. More info needed

I'm a huge Castlevania fan and this is the best one I played in very very long time. No hyperbole. It's free, give it a shot.
SeanTSC
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:34 PM)
SeanTSC's Avatar

Originally Posted by rjc571

Looks better than Bloodstaind

Well maybe not, but it does have a weird charmingly amateurish appeal. I may check it out.

Yeah... no, no it doesn't. But, it does look waaaaaaay better in motion than it does in the stills. The video has got me interested.
DarknessTear
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:35 PM)
DarknessTear's Avatar
Downloading before it disappears. Might play soon, but I'm busy playing Trails in the Sky lately.
petrvs
Junior Member
(05-14-2017, 02:36 PM)

Originally Posted by loganclaws

I'm a huge Castlevania fan and this is the best one I played in very very long time. No hyperbole. It's free, give it a shot.

Yeah I will.


Originally Posted by SeanTSC

Yeah... no, no it doesn't. But, it does look waaaaaaay better in motion than it does in the stills. The video has got me interested.

Same
loganclaws
Plane Escape Torment
(05-14-2017, 02:39 PM)
The game also has a day night cycle which affects certain events and enemy presence. I hope more people get to try it out.
Corpekata
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:40 PM)
Corpekata's Avatar
Surprised more haven't heard of the original Lecarde Chronicles. It's worth playing though this one looks like a decent step up.
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(05-14-2017, 02:42 PM)
SolVanderlyn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Corpekata

Surprised more haven't heard of the original Lecarde Chronicles. It's worth playing though this one looks like a decent step up.

Probably because it was a Genesis game, and most CV fans were playing on other systems at the time

(This is my reasoning anyway)
Starsunder
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:45 PM)
Starsunder's Avatar
Thanks for the heads up! I'll download when I get home!


Looks awesome! Hope it stays up long enough for me to grab it ;_;
loganclaws
Plane Escape Torment
(05-14-2017, 02:46 PM)

Originally Posted by SolVanderlyn

Probably because it was a Genesis game, and most CV fans were playing on other systems at the time

(This is my reasoning anyway)

You're confusing games, the game you're thinking of is Castelvania: Bloodlines which featured a Lecarde playable character.

The Lecarde Chronicles is also a a fan made game developed by MIG.
Foffy
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:51 PM)
Foffy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rygar 8 Bit


3rd one up from the bottom has slogra so it dose have ripped sprites

Nope. They're recreated sprites.

The fact you thought they were stolen kind of shows how effective the inspiration and authenticity went, tho. ;)

I played the game when it released a few weeks ago. If someone likes Castlevania and more particularly Order of Ecclesia, play this. This is a game with Classicvania difficulty but with the Metroidvania formula.

Konami apparently gave this game their blessing so long as it was released for free, so I don't think this will be taken down.

My only complaint with the game is that some bosses are kinda lamesauce and the story for Alucard's presence is poorly explained in the game.
Last edited by Foffy; 05-14-2017 at 02:53 PM.
NinjamicWZ
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:51 PM)
NinjamicWZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by loganclaws

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTh2uo11oI

Wow, that looks AWESOME in motion. Looks a bit like Rondo of Blood weighting and gravity. Similar art direction too (maybe a bit of Haunted Castle's color pallet too). Crazy voice acting. I got goosebumps when he said "I am Alucard" = Love.

Need to hang onto this rar and get my laptop fixed sometime.
Last edited by NinjamicWZ; 05-14-2017 at 03:11 PM.
kubev
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:51 PM)
I wasn't even aware of the first Lecarde Chronicles. I'll have to play these when I get the chance.
The Illiterati
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:52 PM)
The Illiterati's Avatar
I will one day have to give this a try. It looks pretty good, aside from the fonts. It's interesting that the fonts used give it a much worse impression than the other graphics.
Malyse
stop advertising threads
(05-14-2017, 02:54 PM)
Malyse's Avatar

Originally Posted by petrvs


Why not creating an original IP and invest in graphic art? Seems you guys got the gameplay solid

Because no one would give a fuck about it. A fan game is a much faster way to get attention and establish a following.
JPS Kai
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:55 PM)
JPS Kai's Avatar
I'll have to give this a try before the CnD's arrive.
loganclaws
Plane Escape Torment
(05-14-2017, 02:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Foffy

Nope. They're recreated sprites.

The fact you thought they were stolen kind of shows how effective the inspiration and authenticity went, tho. ;)

I played the game when it released a few weeks ago. If someone likes Castlevania and more particularly Order of Ecclesia, play this. This is a game with Classicvania difficulty but with the Metroidvania formula.

Konami apparently gave this game their blessing so long as it was released for free, so I don't think this will be taken down.

My only complaint with the game is that some bosses are kinda lamesauce and the story for Alucard's presence is poorly explained in the game.

Spoiler about story and characters: But it was so fucking cool that the developer managed to get the original voice actor to voice Alucard, I was shocked, it almost makes the game feel canon.
Foffy
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:57 PM)
Foffy's Avatar

Originally Posted by loganclaws

Spoiler about story and characters: But it was so fucking cool that the developer managed to get the original voice actor to voice Alucard, I was shocked, it almost makes the game feel canon.

Belgrade did voice work for free too, which I thought was kind. I guess he was moved by the request.
nailbombxx
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:57 PM)
nailbombxx's Avatar
looks like a ROM hack lol
▄bermatik
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:57 PM)
▄bermatik's Avatar
Wow, never heard of this before now. Will give it a try.

Which game would you compare it to, if any? Visually it looks like a mix between Super Castlevania IV and Symphony of the Night.
D.Lo
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:58 PM)
D.Lo's Avatar
Looks very '90s PC game' instead of like any Castlevania. Perhaps a bit like AD X68K I guess.

Might take a look.
Starsunder
Member
(05-14-2017, 02:59 PM)
Starsunder's Avatar

Originally Posted by Foffy

Nope. They're recreated sprites.

The fact you thought they were stolen kind of shows how effective the inspiration and authenticity went, tho. ;)

I played the game when it released a few weeks ago. If someone likes Castlevania and more particularly Order of Ecclesia, play this. This is a game with Classicvania difficulty but with the Metroidvania formula.

Konami apparently gave this game their blessing so long as it was released for free, so I don't think this will be taken down.

My only complaint with the game is that some bosses are kinda lamesauce and the story for Alucard's presence is poorly explained in the game.

This is AMAZING news! Kudos to Konami for not taking it down!!
Leezard
It's Just the
Sweet Scent of Butane
(05-14-2017, 02:59 PM)
Leezard's Avatar
Cool, I'll give it a try.
loganclaws
Plane Escape Torment
(05-14-2017, 02:59 PM)

Originally Posted by ▄bermatik

Wow, never heard of this before now. Will give it a try.

Which game would you compare it to, if any? Visually it looks like a mix between Super Castlevania IV and Symphony of the Night.

I don't know if you read the OT, it's a mix between Rondo of Blood and SOTN.
Firenze1
Junior Member
(05-14-2017, 03:01 PM)
First AM2R and now this. Love it.

Konami shouldn't care. They have killed castlevania anyway.
kswiston
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:03 PM)
kswiston's Avatar
Cool. But if all of the assets are made for this game instead of ripped, why not make some slight variations and sell it as an original game?
Rash
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:03 PM)
Rash's Avatar
The trailer sold me on this. I've been looking for some 2D Castlevania goodness.
OmegaDL50
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:04 PM)
OmegaDL50's Avatar

Originally Posted by Malyse

Because no one would give a fuck about it. A fan game is a much faster way to get attention and establish a following.

Yep. Streets of Rage Remake or even AM2R are fine examples of amazing fan games based on an already established lore / universe.

If they were basically used original art and assets they would have gone largely ignored and people would have went "Meh, indie clone, not interested"
Foffy
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:04 PM)
Foffy's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

Cool. But if all of the assets are made for this game instead of ripped, why not make some slight variations and sell it as an original game?

The main folks who worked on this are making a game inspired by this, but as their own thing.

I believe it's called Wallachia: Reign of Dracula.
DarkoMaledictus
Tier Whore
(05-14-2017, 03:05 PM)
This AWESOME!!!! Thank you for sharing this OP!!
kswiston
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:05 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by Foffy

The main folks who worked on this are making a game inspired by this, but as their own thing.

I believe it's called Wallachia: Reign of Dracula.

That makes sense then.
Easy_D
never left the stone age
(05-14-2017, 03:07 PM)
Easy_D's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

Cool. But if all of the assets are made for this game instead of ripped, why not make some slight variations and sell it as an original game?

Because they're fans of the series and made it in their spare time as a labour of love? Not everything has to be about money
Apathy
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:09 PM)
Apathy's Avatar
Is there a plce to get the first one of these somewhere?
Corpekata
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:10 PM)
Corpekata's Avatar
To give context: These guys have been making castlevania fan games for like 2 decades. It's just something they like to do. It's easy to dismiss as some cynical follower grab or w/e but I don't think that's the case here.
▄bermatik
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:10 PM)
▄bermatik's Avatar

Originally Posted by loganclaws

I don't know if you read the OT, it's a mix between Rondo of Blood and SOTN.

Totally missed that bit, apologies and thank-you!
Ahasverus
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:10 PM)
Ahasverus's Avatar
Fuck yes. And Robert Belgrade? I'm so in.
SScorpio
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Firenze1

First AM2R and now this. Love it.

Konami shouldn't care. They have killed castlevania anyway.

Killed it? They just announced a new LoS Castlevania a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKGqRaUY2UU
Foffy
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:12 PM)
Foffy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Apathy

Is there a plce to get the first one of these somewhere?

Should be on Mig's site like the second game is.

You can see a huge quality difference between the two games. For example, the first game is mostly remixes of tracks from the series, but the sequel actually has unique music composed for it.
ghibli99
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:13 PM)
ghibli99's Avatar

Originally Posted by Foffy

Konami apparently gave this game their blessing so long as it was released for free, so I don't think this will be taken down.

That's actually really cool if true.
NinjamicWZ
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:14 PM)
NinjamicWZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Corpekata

To give context: These guys have been making castlevania fan games for like 2 decades. It's just something they like to do. It's easy to dismiss as some cynical follower grab or w/e but I don't think that's the case here.

If I could make Castlevania games like this in my spare time, I would.
Ahasverus
Member
(05-14-2017, 03:14 PM)
Ahasverus's Avatar
Eric Lecarde was blond though.

Man this game is such an amazing work. It might be the most impressive fan game I've ever seen. Congratulations to the team. Hopefully this is a wake up call for Konami.

Thread Tools