• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

DarthButcher
(05-16-2017, 03:17 PM)
An interesting looking game got announced this morning by Team17, Yoku's Island Express. It reminds me a bit of Sonic Spinball with the aesthetic of Toki Tori.

You can view the trailer here.

It's coming to Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PS4 in 2018.

Today's big announcement is that Villa Gorilla has teamed up with Team17 to publish the game.

Originally Posted by "Press Release'

UK – 16th May 2017 – Award-winning international games label Team17 and Swedish developer Villa Gorilla today announced that charming pinball platform game Yoku’s Island Express has joined Team17’s games label.

Meet our hero Yoku the Dung Beetle who has arrived on Mokumana Island to relieve the resident pterodactyl postmaster of his duties. He’s ready for the easy life, soaking up the sun and delivering parcels on a tropical paradise!

However, he’ll quickly discover that an ancient Island deity is trapped in a restless sleep, and a host of colourful, quirky islanders are plagued by quakes and storms brought forth by its nightmares. It’s all down to Yoku to traverse the island using a unique blend of pinball mechanics and open world exploration, in an amazing quest to help those in need!

Flip and bump our pint-sized protagonist around the stunning hand-painted island on your quest to rebuild the post-office, discover the mystery of the Fruit Altar, and wake an old god from its deep slumber.

Stockholm based, independent developer Villa Gorilla are headed up by veterans Jens Andersson (Starbreeze, LucasArts, Collecting Smiles) and Mattias Snygg (Starbreeze). Both have a solid AAA pedigree, and worked on titles like The Darkness, Chronicles of Riddick, Syndicate and Colors! 3D.

“With Team17 we’ve found a publishing partner that cherishes innovation and style – something we recognized way back when we played Alien Breed on our Amigas. We feel that their commitment to quality and fun gameplay is a perfect match for us, and we are incredibly excited to be working with Debbie and the team to finish and release Yoku’s Island Express.” said Jens Andersson, Co-Founder of Villa Gorilla

Debbie Bestwick, MBE, CEO of Team17 added, “Yoku’s Island Express has such a beautiful, distinct style with a unique twist on the platform genre. It’s a true gem, we’re looking forward to working with the very talented Villa Gorilla and welcome them to our growing games label family.”

Yoku’s Island Express is coming to Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch™ and PC in 2018.

Last edited by DarthButcher; 05-16-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: I am an idiot.
maxcriden
(05-16-2017, 03:20 PM)
Thanks for posting this. I guess Team17 picked up the game for publishing. The game itself was announced a few months ago. It looks good.
kadotsu
(05-16-2017, 03:20 PM)
This looks like Rayman Origins and Ori had a baby.
wapplew
(05-16-2017, 03:21 PM)
I read Yoshi Island express...
Caelus
(05-16-2017, 03:22 PM)
Read title as Yoshi's Island Express and was confused for a solid five minutes...
sloppyjoe_gamer
(05-16-2017, 03:22 PM)
Looks fun!!!! Anyone else first see "Yoshi's Island Express Announced - Pinball meets Platforming" when they first saw the thread title? lol

EDIT- Apparently i'm not the only one!!
The Giant
(05-16-2017, 03:23 PM)
Read this as Yoshi's Island Expressed.
J@hranimo
(05-16-2017, 03:23 PM)

Originally Posted by kadotsu

This looks like Rayman Origins and Ori had a baby.

My thoughts exactly haha.

Interesting, hope to remember this by next year :P
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
(05-16-2017, 03:24 PM)
Announced a few months back for "PC and consoles," but the publishing deal and specific console platforms are new. Anyway, looks intriguing.

It already has a Steam page, FYI:

Wanderer5
(05-16-2017, 03:25 PM)
Damnnit, I read it as Yoshi also.XD

Anyway looks to have some nice potential.
Tizoc
Should b coming o pc as well roght? Will keep an eye on it thanks for the info op.
Edit- nvm wshlisted with quickness :3
Red Rudolph
This looks absolutely fantastic. I could personally use more games that relieve stress instead of bolstering it, so this looks like a great candidate.
DarthButcher
I guess I missed the original announcement, when I saw the Team17 announcement this morning I thought the game was new. Whoopsie!
Jo Shishido's Cheeks
Read Yoshi, thought it was the next mobile game
Futureman
(05-16-2017, 03:26 PM)
Wow this game is really pretty!
Lijik
(05-16-2017, 03:26 PM)
i knew about this game from the first announcement and i STILL got tricked by the title lmao

looking forward to it tho, it looks neat
Nicky Ali
(05-16-2017, 03:27 PM)
I bet this is gonna have better rolling physics than Sonic Forces...
dickroach
(05-16-2017, 03:28 PM)

Originally Posted by wapplew

:( same

still looks cool tho
Yukinari
(05-16-2017, 03:29 PM)
ITT everyone thinks its yoshis island express
Peltz
(05-16-2017, 03:31 PM)
I could've sworn this was announced months ago and we had a thread on it. Am I going nuts?
PSFan
(05-16-2017, 03:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Caelus

Read title as Yoshi's Island Express and was confused for a solid five minutes...

Yeah me too. Especially when I saw it was coming to PS4 and XB1 too.
MrBadger
(05-16-2017, 03:39 PM)
The concept makes me think of the classic Sonic games, but with Ori's art style

Tizoc
(05-16-2017, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Peltz

I could've sworn this was announced months ago and we had a thread on it. Am I going nuts?

Well apparently ive had it ishlisted already so no you r not.
Father_Brain
(05-16-2017, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by MrBadger

The concept makes me think of the classic Sonic games, but with Ori's art style

Seems more like Sonic Spinball meets Metroid.
krumble
(05-16-2017, 03:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Caelus

Me too!
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(05-16-2017, 03:58 PM)

Everybody does. That's the reason for naming it that way. We've all had this reaction when it got first announced a while back. All of us.
Shahadan
(05-16-2017, 04:00 PM)

Originally Posted by TheMoon

Everybody does. That's the reason for naming it that way. We've all had this reaction when it got first announced a while back. All of us.

Even the logo is going for that, lol
silva1991
(05-16-2017, 04:01 PM)
I was wondering why a Yoshi's game will be coming to Xbox and PS4 until I read the the name again lol.
mclem
(05-16-2017, 04:02 PM)
This could be right up my street. Certainly going to keep an eye on it.
wouwie
(05-16-2017, 05:21 PM)
Wow, this looks great and the gameplay concept looks fun and fresh. Seems like something i would love to play. I can't wait.
Hippopuncher12
(05-16-2017, 05:24 PM)
I as well saw Yoshi, and then saw the platforms, and was confused (and excited) for a few minutes.
Ouroboros
(05-16-2017, 05:28 PM)

Same....thought it was a mobile game.
Kyuur
(05-16-2017, 05:28 PM)
Looks a bit too dark in places graphically but overall fantastic! First time I've heard about it, excited to try it out!
ryushe
(05-16-2017, 05:32 PM)

Super glad I wasn't the only one. Lol
grim-tales
(05-16-2017, 05:38 PM)

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe_gamer

Looks fun!!!! Anyone else first see "Yoshi's Island Express Announced - Pinball meets Platforming" when they first saw the thread title? lol

EDIT- Apparently i'm not the only one!!

I did too! :D

The game reminded me a bit of Soul Bubbles from the trailer, for some reason.
Last edited by grim-tales; 05-17-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Dark Cloud
(05-16-2017, 05:39 PM)
Lmao I ready "Yoshi's Island Express"
DriftingSpirit
(05-16-2017, 05:39 PM)
I was so confused.
Peléo
(05-16-2017, 05:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

Seems more like Sonic Spinball meets Metroid.

There was a game called Metroid Prime Pinball for the DS back in the day. Somewhat unknown to many people, but a really a good game.
wouwie
(05-17-2017, 11:18 AM)
I keep thinking what a great idea this seems to be: an "open" world pinball game with platform (and puzzle?) elements. Has this been done before?

And i love the artstyle. I wish it was already out. It's going to be a long wait.
Spukc
Banned
(05-17-2017, 02:13 PM)

ggx2ac
(05-17-2017, 02:14 PM)

I just did the same right now.
jrDev
(05-17-2017, 02:17 PM)
Love the idea and music!
Father_Brain
(05-17-2017, 02:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Peléo

There was a game called Metroid Prime Pinball for the DS back in the day. Somewhat unknown to many people, but a really a good game.

That was just a conventional pinball game using the Metroid IP. This is apparently a hybrid of Metroid-esque exploration-based platforming and pinball mechanics.
panama chief
(05-17-2017, 02:25 PM)

same. only reason i came in. but pinball is my shit...
capylikesgames
(05-17-2017, 02:29 PM)
A pinball game starring a Yoshi egg by Team17 would've been so odd, but so neat. Still, the game looks cool! It's nice to see them do something besides Worms for once.
Nocturnowl
(05-17-2017, 03:07 PM)
Digging the art and music but pinball has never gone down well with me as a gameplay mechanic, intrigued yet cautious.

...also initially read it as Yoshi.