• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

boskee
(05-25-2017, 02:06 PM)
CD Projekt posted their financial results for the first quarter of 2017.

It has generated sales to the tune of $26.5 million (99 million PLN), compared to $23 million (86.9 million PLN) in Q1 2016.

Their net profit has grown to $12 million (45 million PLN) compared with $8.7 million (32.5 million PLN) generated in Q1 2016. This has exceeded the expectations, which predicted a net income of around $7.9 million (29.5 million PLN).

The lion share of the income was generated by strong sales of The Witcher 3 and its expansions.

CD Projekt predicts the sale of TW3 to be strong throughout this year. It will be supported with seasonal sales.

In other news, Gwent will be promoted with marketing campaigns in the US, Germany, France, UK, Russia, Poland, Brazil, South America and Australia. CDPR plans to start a closed beta of the game in China later this year.

In Q1 2017 CDPR has spent $4.2 million (16 million PLN) on the development of Gwent and Cyberpunk 2077. The total R&D costs have reached over $21 million (79 million PLN)

Finally, the marketing campaign for the Cyberpunk 2077 has already been planned, and it will relay on a surprise factor:

"The promotional campaign (for Cyberpunk 2077) is already planned. It's main element is the surprise, so I cannot even say when it will begin. Simply because it has to come as a surprise." - Marcin Kicinski, CEO.

Source
DomsPlaying
(05-25-2017, 02:10 PM)
Nice. Was just about to post this :-)

Solid results as TW3 and its expansions continue to sell well. As illustrated by the chart of quarterly revenue that I pulled from the financials.

Wondering how sales and especially profit will continue as we get further away from TW3 release and development costs rise for Cyberpunk 2077, especially if that game is years away (which it likely is).
Gothos
Good for them! Anyway, always wondered how big is Witcher brand in China/Japan...
Cincaid
Was hoping for at least some vague hints regarding overall project status on Cyberpunk. :(

Edit: Oh never mind, was added to the OP!
red731
(05-25-2017, 02:11 PM)

Very good.
Auctopus
(05-25-2017, 02:11 PM)

Originally Posted by boskee

CD Projekt predicts the sale of TW3 to be strong throughout this year. It will be supported with season-

Oh my G-

-al sales.

Damn.
Exentryk
(05-25-2017, 02:12 PM)
Great to hear CDPR is doing well! Looking forward to Gwent's single player campaign.
boskee
(05-25-2017, 02:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Auctopus

Oh my G-

Damn.

I know :(
Kayhan
(05-25-2017, 02:18 PM)
Turns out making good games is a winning strategy.
PFD
(05-25-2017, 02:18 PM)

Originally Posted by DomsPlaying

Nice. Was just about to post this :-)

Solid results as TW3 and its expansions continue to sell well. As illustrated by the chart of quarterly revenue that I pulled from the financials.

Wondering how sales and especially profit will continue as we get further away from TW3 release and development costs rise for Cyberpunk 2077, especially if that game is years away (which it likely is).

They have GOG you know. They should be ok
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(05-25-2017, 02:19 PM)
GOG:

The increase of expenses was driven mainly by the costs of the GWENT project attributable to GOG Poland (as a part of consortium).

Interfectum
(05-25-2017, 02:24 PM)
They should release more Witcher 3 expansions.
boskee
(05-25-2017, 02:24 PM)

Originally Posted by PFD

They have GOG you know. They should be ok

GOG doesn't generate high profits.
Xiao Hu
(05-25-2017, 02:34 PM)
Solid numbers but not too great. I hope they can remain independent until they have grown into a bigger/more sustainable shape. This decrepit industry needs CD Projekt's positive influence
boskee
(05-25-2017, 02:37 PM)
I forgot to mention juicy bit:

Finally, the marketing campaign for the Cyberpunk 2077 has already been planned, and it will relay on a surprise factor:

"The promotional campaign (for Cyberpunk 2077) is already planned. It's main element is the surprise, so I cannot even say when it will begin. Simply because it has to come as a surprise." - Marcin Kicinski, CEO.

It looks like they're going ahead with their plan to have a short but intensive marketing campaign, that no one will see coming.
Nordicus
(05-25-2017, 02:37 PM)

Originally Posted by JaseC

GOG:

So GOG is mere 3% of CDPR Group's profits.

Not much at all, but I won't knock near 6-fold net profit from last year.
Lelou
(05-25-2017, 02:38 PM)
They deserve it.
And i hope for them the best in future too
boskee
(05-25-2017, 02:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Nordicus

So GOG is mere 3% of CDPR Group's profits.

Not much at all, but I won't knock near 6-fold net profit from last year.

True, and this will grow - the lion share of the profit made by GOG in Q1 came from card kegs sold in Gwent. This should continue to grow now that the game is in the Open Beta.
Deathknell
(05-25-2017, 02:47 PM)

I forgot to mention juicy bit:

It looks like they're going ahead with their plan to have a short but intensive marketing campaign, that no one will see coming.

LKSmash
(05-25-2017, 02:48 PM)

Can the surprise be today? Maybe even right now? Please??
JaseC
(05-25-2017, 02:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Xiao Hu

Solid numbers but not too great. I hope they can remain independent until they have grown into a bigger/more sustainable shape. This decrepit industry needs CD Projekt's positive influence

CD Projekt has actually been publicly traded since 2010.
LurkerPrime
(05-25-2017, 02:51 PM)
I'm bracing for a Cyberpunk 2077 ARG now.

What else could warrant such a cryptic answer?
wiibomb
(05-25-2017, 02:52 PM)
How is the development of cyberpunk going? Them having the marketting already planned sounds like they are advanced in development.
BigTnaples
Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
(05-25-2017, 02:59 PM)
Awesome.
Now CDPR, please reconsider a Pro/Scorpio patch for that game and it's expansions as it continues to sell throughout the year.

I play on PC, but console users deserve to see the trasformitive effect 1400p/4K has on Wild Hunt.
Ahasverus
(05-25-2017, 03:02 PM)
W3 is a sales beast but I hope they release another game soon-ish. Like, I get it, Cyberpunk is never coming out, but surely they could churn out "Tales from The Witcher" in 2 years?
Magic Mushroom
(05-25-2017, 03:03 PM)

Originally Posted by wiibomb

How is the development of cyberpunk going? Them having the marketting already planned sounds like they are advanced in development.

Surprise gamplay reveal at E3.

I wish
Lucumo
(05-25-2017, 03:05 PM)
I wish they would release some fully patched Witcher 3 special/collector's editions or a cool giant box with Witcher 1, 2 and 3 in it.
Ahasverus

Nope, they rebooted development (started from scratch) this year IIRC
DemWalls

Cyberpunk coming this September. Believe.
Xiao Hu
(05-25-2017, 03:06 PM)

CD Projekt has actually been publicly traded since 2010.

Well, duh...otherwise we wouldn't have this thread in the first place since privately held companies don't disclose financial results outside their investors. Plus how is that relevant to my comment?
JaseC
(05-25-2017, 03:08 PM)

"Quite advanced" is, funnily enough, what CDPR said back in March:

CD Projekt Red studio head Adam Badowski got on stage to say progress on Cyberpunk 2077 was "quite advanced," and that the studio's biggest team comprised of "several hundred people" was working on the game. "It's really good fun for us," he said.

Well, duh...otherwise we wouldn't have this thread in the first place since privately held companies don't disclose financial results outside their investors. Plus how is that relevant to my comment?

Well, you said you hope that CDP can remain independent, but a public company is by very definition not independent. That's why I presumed you weren't aware. I was merely informing you of CDP's situation, not throwing the fact in your face, so there's no need for the attitude.
His Majesty
(05-25-2017, 03:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

W3 is a sales beast but I hope they release another game soon-ish. Like, I get it, Cyberpunk is never coming out, but surely they could churn out "Tales from The Witcher" in 2 years?

Gwent will have multiple single-player campaigns with a focus on storytelling and choice & consequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKqy04OmOGo

from 3:03
Shredderi
(05-25-2017, 03:10 PM)
The marketing campaign will have to be a surprise? Won't be at E3 then. Not that I was fully expecting it to be. They'll propably start marketing it next year and keep this year as a "year of the Gwent" Which sucks because I couldn't care less about it.
Ahasverus
(05-25-2017, 03:11 PM)

Originally Posted by His Majesty

Gwent will have multiple single-player campaigns with a focus on storytelling and choice & consequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKqy04OmOGo

from 3:03

I mean, gwent is fun and all but, you know :P
boskee
(05-25-2017, 03:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Shredderi

The marketing campaign will have to be a surprise? Won't be at E3 then. Not that I was fully expecting it to be. They'll propably start marketing it next year and keep this year as a "year of the Gwent" Which sucks because I couldn't care less about it.

We already know they're not going to be at E3.. unless it's going to be a surprise ;)
Jumeira
(05-25-2017, 03:12 PM)
Such great news to see these guys prospering
Shredderi
(05-25-2017, 03:16 PM)

We already know they're not going to be at E3.. unless it's going to be a surprise ;)

xD
Xiao Hu
(05-25-2017, 03:19 PM)

Well, you said you hope that CDP can remain independent, but a public company is by very definition not independent. That's why I presumed you weren't aware. I was merely informing you of CDP's situation, not throwing the fact in your face, so there's no need for the attitude.

I meant independent as in 'nobody else's subsidiary' or not being acquired by another publisher. Also no attitude intended here :)
JaseC
(05-25-2017, 03:20 PM)

I meant independent as in 'nobody else's subsidiary' or not being acquired by another publisher. Also no attitude intended here :)

Ah, right. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
Falchion
(05-25-2017, 05:39 PM)
That's awesome, I'm wondering if they'll wait to show much of Cyberpunk until just a few months away from its release.
Damerman
(05-25-2017, 05:46 PM)
They already have a sale for cyberpunk 2077 in me soooooo....

Gonna do a full playthrough of w3 and expansions soon.
nubbe
(05-25-2017, 05:48 PM)
They make enough to have another team work on Witcher 4
Ahasverus
(05-25-2017, 07:49 PM)

Originally Posted by nubbe

They make enough to have another team work on Witcher 4

They do.
Zedark
(05-25-2017, 07:57 PM)
Good to see them reaping the rewards from making a brilliant game like Witcher 3! Hope they won't wait too long with Witcher 4.
JareBear
(05-25-2017, 07:57 PM)
They deserve it. One of the gold standards in the industry
Wagram
(05-25-2017, 08:01 PM)
Doesn't really sound like Cyberpunk was rebooted like it was rumored.
yurinka
(05-25-2017, 08:05 PM)
Considering Sony has a confirmed marketing deal with every single upcoming big game other than the next AC, I'd assume they'll show Cyberpunk and AC at MS E3 conference.
Truant
(05-25-2017, 08:07 PM)
Great games with great post release support do well? I'm shook.

The expansions for TW3 are better than most first party titles alone.
Admiral Woofington
m'Souls, m'lady
(05-25-2017, 08:10 PM)
I need cyberpunk in my life like 3 years ago.

Which God do I have to sacrifice to so I can jump in time and buy it?
JaseC
(05-25-2017, 08:12 PM)

Originally Posted by yurinka

Considering Sony has a confirmed marketing deal with every single upcoming big game other than the next AC, I'd assume they'll show Cyberpunk and AC at MS E3 conference.

It may be too early for Cyberpunk. I'd imagine CDPR wants to keep the game under wraps until it can showcase a level of visual fidelity it can deliver and thereby avoid another downgrade controversy.