• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High budget first party PS3 title canceled - OR NOT See #211

sad-sad-stringer.jpg

Police-04-june.gif

High Profile PS3 Title in Trouble

So here’s the little tidbit that all of you PS3 enthusiasts may not want to hear. An anonymous source working on a high profile title for the PlayStation 3 confirmed to me yesterday that their upcoming game had “stalled completely.” Apparently, the company has brought in a new director to salvage the project, but it looks like SCEA wants to stop the bleeding, preventing any more wasted money to be put on the project.

The most intriguing decision that might be considered is releasing the game as a downloadable game on Sony’s online store, instead of a full-fledged title. Obviously, SCEA refuses to start from scratch. And as of right now, there’s only four missions in the game and online multi-player isn’t even guaranteed. This is pretty shocking when you consider that the game was once set to be a major release.

Why did all of this have to happen? My source states that “infighting and [a] lack of clear direction” has cost the studio and SCEA millions on scrapped ideas and development paths.

The stalling of this title also had an adverse effect on the state of the studio’s employees, forcing layoffs and migrations to rival development studios in the area. With current employees already filing for newer and better jobs, it seems as if this particuar developer could be in deep trouble, especially if work morale stands still.

With little revealed on the title in the last few months, and doomsday getting closer for PS3 owners… this one could have plenty of credibility, whether Sony fans like it or not.

We’ll name the title and the studio soon, just be patient for the time being.

hmm

http://www.rumorreporter.com/?p=173

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Moderation Unlimited said:
Hmm...it could be Warhawk, but what about 8 Days? No ones heard anything about that.

Well Eights Days is a SCE London product... Warhawk however... is being published by SCEA, developed by Incog.

Majmun

We’ll name the title and the studio soon, just be patient for the time being.

Why is it a rumor when they already know the game and its developer?

Why don't they just spread the beans or stfu instead?

R0nn

Killzone

1. Should have a mission structure in singleplayer

2. Should normally feature multiplayer

3. Was nowhere to be found past E3

4. I believe I've heard about some rumblings in regards to changes within the development team over the past year

I hope not though. As a dutchy, I really hope that Guerilla can finally make a big hit.

Forsete

Moderation Unlimited said:
Hmm...it could be Warhawk, but what about 8 Days? No ones heard anything about that.

No one has heard anything about Getaway either.. Or Naughty Dogs game.. Or Ratchet and Clank. OPS! All canned confirmed?

I hope its not Warhawk.. Let it be some SOE game or something. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Second said:

They probably dont know who. When a game finally does get canned, they can steal the credit fori t

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Killzone is developed in europe, not america.
Most likely Warhawk if this is even true.

edit: beaten by DarienA. :/

Awesome link.

There are many SCEA games going to PS3, and some of them we don't even know yet, so let's wait for confirmation.

Warhawk comes to mind, but that one had pretty capable online multiplayer back at TGS and even E3 if I remember correctly. I want my Warhawks SONY ;( .

Ponn

Banned
Given the usual hype and melodrama of internet news sleuths the "high profile" game is probably Eye of Judgement.

I hope is *is* Warhark, because Warhawk's been looking pretty crappy from Day One, and I won't miss it.

OTOH, I don't want Incog to get ****ed up over it. I want new TM and War of the Monstes. :(

LevelNth

Banned
Warhawk is and has been my most anticipated PS3 title since E3 2005. If it is canceled, I'm going to be insanely disappointed.

ToxicAdam

The on-foot stuff of Warhawk looked ass-tacular and completely out of place. Why they couldn't just make a nice, short shooter with pretty explosions and tight controls is beyond me. Exactly how the original Warhawk was.

Oh well if true.

haircut

Second said:

Maybe they want to get the internet people all stirred up first.

R0nn said:
Killzone

1. Should have a mission structure in singleplayer

2. Should normally feature multiplayer

3. Was nowhere to be found past E3

4. I believe I've heard about some rumblings in regards to changes within the development team over the past year

I hope not though. As a dutchy, I really hope that Guerilla can finally make a big hit.

could be! Also you guys are forgetting that SCEA is no more! all games are developed under SCE or something like that so it could be anything! Some people are suggesting Heavenly Swords got canned due to setbacks and repetitive delays

Majmun

Maybe it's Afrika? That's the most obvious choice.

The game seems pretty expensive to make and no one will buy it. Except us Gaffers. :lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Doom_Bringer said:
could be! Also you guys are forgetting that SCEA is no more! all games are developed under SCE or something like that so it could be anything! Some people are suggesting Heavenly Swords got canned due to setbacks and repetitive delays
what the hell are you talking about.

cank stoochie said:
christ, its like you have a good ps3 news, then immediately a bad one comes along to spoil the mood
ps3 doesnt get good news remember.

rumor said:
My source states that “infighting and [a] lack of clear direction” has cost the studio and SCEA millions on scrapped ideas and development paths.

Jeez . . . Sony better fix up management pronto. Game software management is one of the most import aspects OF THE COMPANY since Sony makes the majority of its profits from its games division. The PS3 needs first-party titles desperately!

They shouldn't scrap the title, they should do whatever they can to save it . . . they need every title they can put out.

Jeff-DSA

PotatoeMasher said:
The article is written using Comic Sans. How dare you question the veracity of this rumor!

I didn't write it, but I can vouch for the rumor. I know the source, I know the title and studio, and I know what's going to happen.

The reason things aren't being revealed yet is to protect sources, and more importantly, sources' jobs.

rage1973

It's no surprise that Warhawk is getting cancelled. Several people have already stated that the project was in deep trouble and there were rumors of having to throw away much of the project. First cancellation of Gran Turismo and now this does not bode well for beginning of Sony's first party offering for PS3. They better come out with a good version of Motorstorm in NA and not the empty featured game that was released in Japan.

Top Bottom