• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PCGamer] Phil Spencer wants to bring OG Xbox emulation and Xbox Game Pass to PC

dex3108

Naturally, when we talked with Xbox chief Phil Spencer today, we asked if we might see that emulation make its way to the PC in the future. His one-word answer?

"Yes."

Straight to the point. Exciting! But also: we wanted more. Thankfully, after letting that affirmative hang in the air for a few moments, Spencer elaborated.

"I want people to be able to play games!" he said. "[Emulation] is hard. [Xbox] 360 specifically is a PowerPC chip, emulated to x86, which is difficult. It's a little bit easier when you have a fixed spec, when you think about Xbox, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X. And you think of the variable specs of the PC space, so you're taking a fixed-spec PowerPC emulator and then moving it over to run on PC, so there's a lot of work there.

"The original Xbox, OG Xbox, is a little bit easier, because that was an x86 chip it was running on.

http://www.pcgamer.com/phil-spencer...s-compatibility-and-xbox-play-anywhere-to-pc/

Backwards compatibility is one thing Microsoft really deserve their dues for. I have a large library of original Xbox games and would love to natively play them on PC with a bump in resolution if possible.

The original Xbox has a really wonderful library. The best versions of multiplats and some criminally underrated exclusives!

Gestault

I'm surprised by the answer, because now there's an expectation for something that's probably going to be a nightmare to implement.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
A first-party Xbox emulator on PC is basically the only thing I want from Microsoft as far as games are concerned. Like... assuming it's actually a good one

shandy706

Phil is pretty determined that we should have no reason to own an Xbox.

I'm good with it, but... are you sure, bro?

Let's not get this started. Average consumer isn't buying or building a gaming PC.

The majority that want Xbox games will buy an Xbox.

Make it happen. 360 and XBOX BC with all games being play anywhere.

And while you are at it port the xbox library to PC making it 100% play anywhere and push developers to update these games to uwp so they can be proper PC versions.

WIN WIN WIN (Customers, Ms, Developers)

Dunkley

They just wanna play ball on the PC market as well, and nothing wrong with that given Windows is their platform just like Xbox is. Just means more people get to have this stuff, doesn't make me retroactively regret buying a Bone just because more people get to enjoy something.

Hektor

OG Box emulation fucken ace
tenor.gif

ArjanN

Honestly I'd rather have the handful of remaining interesting OG XBOX games natively than through an emulator that'd probably be stuck in the MS ecosystem, but OK.

This is good news! Enable cross-play between the two platforms for those games and it'll be even better! Come on Microsoft. You can do it.

It's gonna happen, and it's gonna be glorious.

I am stoked for this, but patient. They will release this when it is good and ready. Microsoft killin it.

Phil has done more for PC gaming than he's done for Xbox gaming.
Disagree, he is making Xbox by far the best platform for me.

It's not perfect and he needs to address some stuff, but we'll on its way to being a truly fantastic platform for gamers.

If they can find a way to resell old software and bring in more revenue, then why not? I think GAF seriously overestimates the amount of gamers that have the time and desire to build a PC capable of running today's games. Will there be "no reason" to own an Xbox? Sure, but only if you're still going to drop twice the price of the One X on PC parts. As long as software keeps selling then this isn't a bad decision

Wow.... all these moves Microsoft is making with BC really has me crossing my fingers that my Ps4 content makes it over to the PS5.

Top Bottom